• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Trades. I am getting Absolute Transmet and Priest Black Panther. Ms.Marvel v2 OHC is next week too but I am still on the fence for that.

I was gonna buy the Ms. Marvel OHCs until the omnibus listing popped up on Amazon.

Wasn't it already on hiatus?

Yes. But it was on hiatus from my pull-list even longer than that. Second Cycle just didn't keep me looking forward to that next issue the way the first volume did.

Zombine

Banned
I'm madly in love with American Vampire, and I'm ok with the hiatus. He talked about it for a long ass time. It'll be back.

Batgirl tho 😍

Messi

Read the first issue of Hawkeye just now for the first time since I read it when I got back into comics. It's much better than I remember it being.

RDreamer

Howdie comic gaf. I'm completely new to comics. Haven't read much of anything outside of Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and the occasional Batman. I was enticed enough by Marvel Unlimited to give it a try, though.

Started reading through some Daredevil and also Guardians of the Galaxy since I liked the movie. I was liking Guardians so far but then I ran into the Infinity issue. I went investigating in the app a bit and it seems like it's a big tie in event to a lot of Marvel comics. "Cool," I think, "maybe I should check out a few others and get up to the tie in, too." So I look through the event listing to see some of the issues I should read up to, presumably. I started reading (and really love) Captain Marvel right now.

Anyway, while looking through that listing of Infinity comics I got really confused about Avengers. It seems like there's a bunch of different lines of Avengers comics? There's Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Secret Avengers, New Avengers, and Avengers Assemble. Are these all different lines? What the hell is going on here? Can someone explain this to a helpless noob.

Anyway, while looking through that listing of Infinity comics I got really confused about Avengers. It seems like there's a bunch of different lines of Avengers comics? There's Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Secret Avengers, New Avengers, and Avengers Assemble. Are these all different lines? What the hell is going on here? Can someone explain this to a helpless noob.

Yes, Marvel loves their Avengers. Tons of different series. As far as Infinity is concerned, the only ones that matter are the actual issues of Infinity, Avengers, and New Avengers. Everything else is just a tie-in.

RDreamer

Yes, Marvel loves their Avengers. Tons of different series. As far as Infinity is concerned, the only ones that matter are the actual issues of Infinity, Avengers, and New Avengers. Everything else is just a tie-in.

So where might one start with Avengers? Or New Avengers? And what's the difference in all of these Avengers series?

VanWinkle

Read the first issue of Hawkeye just now for the first time since I read it when I got back into comics. It's much better than I remember it being.

Great series. Not quite as amazing as I thought it would be but I still really really enjoyed it.

I really wish it had only been Aja on Clint issues and Wu on Kate issues.

I would say I agree, but I absolutely adored the Francavilla-drawn issues.

Messi

Great series. Not quite as amazing as I thought it would be but I still really really enjoyed it.

I would say I agree, but I absolute adored Francavilla-drawn issues.

So do I. But totally they feel so different to the Aja stuff. The tone change worked with Wu as they moved Kate and her story became much lighter.

VanWinkle

So do I. But totally they feel so different to the Aja stuff. The tone change worked with Wu as they moved Kate and her story became much lighter.

I felt like it worked because it switched to the arc about the clown killer guy and I thought the creepy serial killer tone worked with Francavilla's style

So where might one start with Avengers? Or New Avengers? And what's the difference in all of these Avengers series?

Are we still talking about Infinity? There was a convenient reading order list printed in each issue.

infinity.jpg

The Avengers series here is the (2012) one, and New Avengers (2013). The year refers to the year the series began.

Here is the reading order for Hickman's Avengers series, Avengers and New Avengers

Its one of the best sagas in capes comics and was a total blast to keep up with month to month. Avengers and New Avengers are two sides of one super massive story.

Avengers follows the main group of Avengers. It starts out with Tony/Iron Man and Steve/Cap America deciding that, in order to deal with the seemingly increasing scales of danger thrown at Earth, they need to put together a bigger and more versatile team of Avengers. They put together a big, big team of Avengers capable of dealing with any threats. The Avengers title follows this cast as they face powerful threats. Think of it like a rock solid superhero team book with a lot of big ideas, neat character moments, and great action.

New Avengers follows a secret group of Avengers who deal with a terrible existential threat they decide not to tell anyone else about until they can figure out what to do. The secret group consists of Mr Fantastic, Namor, Iron Man, Black Panther, Black Bolt and Doctor Strange. What happens is they become more and more desperate as the unstoppable threat comes closer and they get their hands dirty while they try to keep it a secret. Think of it like a superhero horror story.

Eventually, the two titles get so intertwined theyre basically the same title and that includes the event, Infinity. Which is why that reading order is recommended.

Uncanny Avengers by Remender that came out at the same time was also really fucking good once you got past the first arc.

RDreamer

Here is the reading order for Hickman's Avengers series, Avengers and New Avengers

Its one of the best sagas in capes comics and was a total blast to keep up with month to month. Avengers and New Avengers are two sides of one super massive story.

Avengers follows the main group of Avengers. It starts out with Tony/Iron Man and Steve/Cap America deciding that, in order to deal with the seemingly increasing scales of danger thrown at Earth, they need to put together a bigger and more versatile team of Avengers. They put together a big, big team of Avengers capable of dealing with any threats. The Avengers title follows this cast as they face powerful threats. Think of it like a rock solid superhero team book with a lot of big ideas, neat character moments, and great action.

New Avengers follows a secret group of Avengers who deal with a terrible existential threat they decide not to tell anyone else about until they can figure out what to do. The secret group consists of Mr Fantastic, Namor, Iron Man, Black Panther, Black Bolt and Doctor Strange. What happens is they become more and more desperate as the unstoppable threat comes closer and they get their hands dirty while they try to keep it a secret. Think of it like a superhero horror story.

Eventually, the two titles get so intertwined theyre basically the same title and that includes the event, Infinity. Which is why that reading order is recommended.

Uncanny Avengers by Remender that came out at the same time was also really fucking good once you got past the first arc.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the next question is how much knowledge of these heroes should I have before jumping into Avengers? Should I read some solo comics first?

But you have to read The Dark Angel Saga from his Uncanny X-Force to get the whole story.
Sure, but I just recommended like 80 issues of Avengers comics haha Remender Uncanny X-Force is a must read tho... hmmm

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the next question is how much knowledge of these heroes should I have before jumping into Avengers? Should I read some solo comics first?

Nothing super important from the main titles that are a big part of the storyline. You do have the characters change a bit in their own titles and that shows in the series
. Thor loses his hammer halfway as he is no longer worthy of Mjolnir (we still dont know why). Iron Man changes armors pretty often and is 'inverted' into a colossal ass as a result of Axis (dont read that event) but that doesn't have a huge impact on the story. Spider-Man isnt himself for a good portion of the series, so he doesn't figure much into the story. Hmm Hulk goes through a mild transformation. There's not a lot you need to know from the start, the series was launched as part of a new reader friendly wave of titles.

Damn some good sales. Gonna pick up the rest of Punisher MAX for sure and maybe some image vol. 1's like Saga, Southern Bastards, and Manhattan Projects

TheFlow

Banned
Damn some good sales. Gonna pick up the rest of Punisher MAX for sure and maybe some image vol. 1's like Saga, Southern Bastards, and Manhattan Projects

Saga and Chew should be in your cart no matter what.

I didn't notice the punisher max sale. hopefully it last till next monday.

I've never popped in here before, but I've got a question you all might have some answers to.

In the wake of BvS, I started reading some comics again. I like tracking what I read, but I don't like marking them on Goodreads because then it messes up my "books" counter. Do y'all have anything that's better for comics or do I need to break out Excel?

arkon

I've never popped in here before, but I've got a question you all might have some answers to.

In the wake of BvS, I started reading some comics again. I like tracking what I read, but I don't like marking them on Goodreads because then it messes up my "books" counter. Do y'all have anything that's better for comics or do I need to break out Excel?

There's probably something out there. I've been using a spreadsheet and goodreads. To get around the goodreads issue I've taken to using two separate shelves for completed stuff in a particular year. One for books and one for comics. It doesn't solve it as such because each book marked complete still counts toward challenge totals but at least means I can keep track of how much I've read of each which is more important to me.

I wanted to read some good, wholesome superheroing, so I restarted Johns Flash since I was like one issue in I think.

The setup for this initial arc is fun. Wally is stuck in a parallel world where Flash never existed and he's forced to team up with Captain Cold. Nice sense of mystery so far.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Tonight I read not one but two whole comics.

The Amazing X-Men #1 and Factor X #1. They were both the best book I have ever read in my life.

Oh dam your right. I forgot. Any reason is a good reason to Remender's X-Force.
This is true. Amazing book that, in fact, goes into great detail about killing -- the morality of it and is it always the proper solution. At what point are we just resigning ourselves to it to make it easier on ourselves. Also the whole minority report thing. All wrapped up in fascinating lore and great characters with great chemistry and action.

Great present with pretty packaging to boot.
don't understand GAFs hate for Jessica Jones.
I think that, while there's definitely a ton of hyperbole, there's certainly valid points. Particularly the pacing and supporting cast. There's also the poor explanation of Kilgrave's powers and how they interacted with Jessica. Regardless I still think the show is really good, and the themes it tackles with stalking, PTSD, rape, abuse, empowerment of both females and victims, etc. are really the heart and strength of the show.

Top Bottom