• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

You should know by now that comicgaf doesn't have the best track record of spending money wisely. BALLER-GAF!

I'm counting on some mass pandemic or fiery apocalypse happening within the next 10-15 years, thus making all money useless. This will justify all my impulse spending. I think the odds are pretty good.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm counting on some mass pandemic or fiery apocalypse happening within the next 10-15 years, thus making all money useless. This will justify all my impulse spending. I think the odds are pretty good.

I'm just counting on dying in that same time frame. Probably from that fiery apocalypse you mentioned.

Man my comic backlog is pretty big. I think i'm going to catch up after I get out of class tomorrow.

I don't even know what books I have anymore it's out of control

Apparently I have the first Walking Dead Compendium digitally. I don't think I'll ever even read this.

tim1138

Wonder Woman Earth One is going to get a total of three OGN's, so that's cool. Just a FYI, there are some serious spoilers for the end of volume 1 in that interview

N: This story finishes pretty open ended…I have to ask, will there be more of this version of Wonder Woman from you at any point?

GM: I’ve already started it actually, I’m already 25 pages into it. And Yanick is up for drawing again. We are going to do three volumes of this, we’ve got a whole story planned. The first one is really just getting the cards on the table for me, and the second one is really like the Marston stuff; it’s got an amazing opening that’ll probably freak people out. It’s much more like Marston, it really goes back to that original place

shingi70

Banned
You can catch up quicker if you skip class and spend that time reading comics. You'll also save time you would have wasted showering and getting dressed.

Comics!

I was reading Power of the Atom and my girlfiend skyped me and I was legit a tad bit annoyed.

So in that new Teen Titans movie Raven X Damien is a thing and kinda adorable since they're both misfits. I wonder if Raven is going to get slightly deaged come rebirth for it too happen. (though I guess her age was never given in Lobdell's run.)

So in that new Teen Titans movie Raven X Damien is a thing and kinda adorable since they're both misfits. I wonder if Raven is going to get slightly deaged come rebirth for it too happen. (though I guess her age was never given in Lobdell's run.)

The TT vs JL one? When does that drop? I wanna see that.

Rick Remnder is killing my emotions, the man plainly hates joy and low is proof. :(

Not sure out of his three Image books I like more.

Again, what's a good starting point for Legion of Superheores? Please

shingi70

Banned
This is perfect and honestly alot more anime and is really for the audience who likes Teen Titans and Young Justice, and anime in general. There's a pretty cool sequence where
the Titans transform into their superhero outfits in a anime Magical girl/Sentai type of way.

Rick Remnder is killing my emotions, the man plainly hates joy and low is proof. :(

GH is the best to answer. But I started with Legion Lost (NOT the N52 series) which got reprinted (looks lie it's OOP again) recently. DnA did great work. It's actually has things that led to them but I found it very easy pick up and it's self contained was one set of cast. Fun book

https://www.comixology.com/Legion-Lost-2000-2001/comics-series/6904?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

He has 4 Image books. :)

For me Deadly Class is definitely my favorite. Black Science is my least favorite. Tokyo Ghost is cool too. Don't read Low.

And I've only just started it, but I think it's setting up the TT Rebirth dynamic, with Starfire as team mom.

MAMA!?

tumblr_nu8jr7qOVt1uea4pxo1_400.gif

Messi

Low is absolutely amazing. Tied with Deadly Class in for his best book. Just beautiful. But he has the ability to hurt me with low. I am too invested in those characters.

frye

I still have a lot of love for the Waid/Kitson Threeboot series from 04 or so

It looks like us 23 year olds have assumed direct control of ComicGAF.

wow gonna join you olds in the sun in a few months

Man my comic backlog is pretty big. I think i'm going to catch up after I get out of class tomorrow.

Yeah mine is pretty big too...I have about 50 issues of Punisher MAX, 12 issues of Sex Criminals, Weid's first Daredevil trade, Daredevil Born Again, Morrison's first vol of JLA, and the Dark Knight Returns.

And here I am rereading Morrison's whole Batman run

TheFlow

Banned
Deadly class has some messy issues where the writing and panels just flow well.

Low is one of those books where you can take double spreads from issues and hang them up in your room as posters. up there with Saga.

VanWinkle

I think the saddest thing about the new Batman rebirth is that they've gone to a house-style artist for it. Capullo spoiled me and I was really hoping we got another unique style this go around.

All-Star Batman's going to be craaaazy though.

Yeahhhh Finch is a pretty big step down from Capullo sadly. I would have been happy if Yannick took over. But the dream (or mine anyway) is to should get Frazer Irving back on a Bat book. Those final four issues of Batman and Robin he did...nectar of da gods.

Power Man and Iron Fist #2
Great issue. Great action, great characters. I will forever and always love Momma Jessica.

Illuminati #5
I fucking love this book. It gets better every issue. Scumbag tactics are the only way to win.
Yeah I dig that book. One of DC's best drawn, especially at the beginning of DC Youboot, dunno of they switched the artists at some point. I'm up to #4
Earth 2 Society, I have no idea. Trade waiting. As far as Earth 2 pre-Convergence goes, Nicola Scott was on the book until Earth 2 World's End started up and then bailed. The book then had rotating artists.
I wonder what a successful Cyborg book would even look like. From everything I've seen Cyborg in he doesn't have much of a personality and that makes it a bit tough to figure out how to do a good book. He has somewhat interesting powers, but again it's hard to fashion a book based on those. Maybe a tech nerd writer that can write about the internet, technology, etc... without sounding like a fraud might work, but that's a fairly niche appeal.
Cyborg should by all accounts be interesting. The huge problem is that everyone writes the same story: a man torn between his human side and his tech side. The problem? His human side isn't appealing as a character. I have no reason to root for him remaining a human, because I don't care about Victor Stone. No one writes his human side as being even remotely appealing. He's either a super fun bro that is in no way written to be anything more than the lighthearted dude, or he's written as sullen, which causes him to fade in the background as a plain-ass character. He's a character ripe for an interesting story, and no one writes one because everyone writes to his tech side and not his human side.

I gave Poodle shit for reading the series because it will never be the Jaime book he wants, but honestly, Jaime Reyes is a better Cyborg than Cyborg. Appealing as a human being, so that way you actually feel invested in the emotional battle with his tech side. Granted, Jaime is dealing with a psychotic alien attached to his spine, whereas Cyborg is deciding how much he'll lose his humanity to his machine side, but it's the same general ideal.

VanWinkle

The other artist on Batman is Janin tho. It'll be half great, at least.
though I actually don't mind Finch as much

Hmm somehow I missed news of Janin being on there. That's pretty awesome, then.

In regards to Finch, he is by no means a bad artist, but to me he is easily the least impressive of the big DC house-style artists. I find the work of Lee, Fabok, Reis, Tony Daniels, etc. a lot more enjoyable to my eyes. I just don't get EXCITED when I see that Finch will be drawing.

Regardless, this will be a good book.

shingi70

Banned
Isn't the problem between the two that Jamie can have a normal life to some degree while Cyborg wears his Scars directly on his face. It's why I have to believe that his powers just changed to give him a normal life.

It's a crying shame that no one can write a good Cyborg tale becuase there's alot to tap from that well. From the well troden is he Man or Machine, too the relationship between a Father and son, to simple race politics.

Walker's run started off well enough asking the idea of why Victor Stone is so special to be made super human, when there are other people with disabilities that are more deserving or just in general could use Bionic parts;

VanWinkle

Archie is SO awesome. Going through volume 1 trade. I'm so happy while reading it. I'm going to miss Fiona Staples art, though, even if I'm a fan of the other artists doing issues. Her art on here in amazing, though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm somehow I missed news of Janin being on there. That's pretty awesome, then.

In regards to Finch, he is by no means a bad artist, but to me he is easily the least impressive of the big DC house-style artists.

Finch is one of those artists who can draw things that look great, but seems to only have a few faces in his repertoire. And they're not amazing faces.

VanWinkle

Finished Archie Vol. 1. Just...glorious. I'm so sad that there aren't any more issues out. I need more of this series. Excellent writing that perfectly encapsulates the feeling of the traditional Archie series, while having a more sophisticated style and tone that appeases a modern readership. All of the artists do a great job, too. I enjoyed Staples' clean lines, great character design, and a broad understanding of expressions. Wu has a great sketchy style that took a couple of pages to get warmed up to but I ended up enjoying a lot. Fish did a good job for the most part, though I didn't love the way she drew the characters.

Reading Dial H Deluxe Edition next.

Preach BK.
Dsd7Ffe.gif

Isn't the problem between the two that Jamie can have a normal life to some degree while Cyborg wears his Scars directly on his face. It's why I have to believe that his powers just changed to give him a normal life.

It's a crying shame that no one can write a good Cyborg tale becuase there's alot to tap from that well. From the well troden is he Man or Machine, too the relationship between a Father and son, to simple race politics.

Walker's run started off well enough asking the idea of why Victor Stone is so special to be made super human, when there are other people with disabilities that are more deserving or just in general could use Bionic parts;
Problem with the "wears his scars on his face" argument is that the TT cartoon gave him an image inducer type ability which he used to create an alternate persona called "Stone" (an homage to Luke Cage). That is a device that can be used to give him depth by having him be able to hide behind a facade until he can come to terms with himself. The man already has built in identity issues as is. Develop it more. It makes him human.

Again, Cyborg's human side isn't appealing and that will always be why he'll be written as boring. Everyone wants to write him as a commentary on society's technological reliance and integration, yet no one wants to write him as a fucked up human being. Oddly enough, that's exactly what he is.

There's a plot thread in Throne of Atlantis that deals with him debating whether or not to get the environmental upgrade for his body. It would replace his lungs, allowing him to survive in various extreme environments, such as immense ocean depths. He's debating because he has very little left of his human side as is, but all I could think about was "quit being a bitch and do it. No one cares what you want."

Because I don't care about Victor Stone.

Top Bottom