• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
12928132_10207128981797568_1878651278076802149_n.jpg

wait is this real? Dead No More was actually about Kaine? :D

arkon

Rick Remnder is killing my emotions, the man plainly hates joy and low is proof. :(

Not sure out of his three Image books I like more.

Again, what's a good starting point for Legion of Superheores? Please

I started with the Legion of 3 Worlds miniseries. Then went back and started reading some of the Levitz run. I think it was what's considered to be volume 3 of the Legion which ran for about 60 issues.

I'd say you could pick up at the start of any particular run and get on fine like I did (but I haven't read everything yet and don't always sweat about the finer points of continuity). Might be easier with the more recent series like Waid's run in 2004 which is considered volume 5 of the Legion. I'd skip the new 52 stuff, it's not great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
12928132_10207128981797568_1878651278076802149_n.jpg

wait is this real? Dead No More was actually about Kaine? :D

Would love when they would let Madame Web return.
Who is the black Spider in fron of everyone?

But dont get your hopes up to high, this is actually just the second part of a teaser with tons of dead people.

Dead-No-More-1-8b0e1-600x922.jpg

I started with the Legion of 3 Worlds miniseries. Then went back and started reading some of the Levitz run. I think it was what's considered to be volume 3 of the Legion which ran for about 60 issues.

I'd say you could pick up at the start of any particular run and get on fine like I did (but I haven't read everything yet and don't always sweat about the finer points of continuity). Might be easier with the more recent series like Waid's run in 2004 which is considered volume 5 of the Legion. I'd skip the new 52 stuff, it's not great.

GH is the best to answer. But I started with Legion Lost (NOT the N52 series) which got reprinted (looks lie it's OOP again) recently. DnA did great work. It's actually has things that led to them but I found it very easy pick up and it's self contained was one set of cast. Fun book

https://www.comixology.com/Legion-Lost-2000-2001/comics-series/6904?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

Thanks guys! Think I'll start with Legion Lost then hop into Waid's run.

And my bad, I completely forgot about Tokyo Ghost somehow!

Thanks guys! Think I'll start with Legion Lost then hop into Waid's run.

And my bad, I completely forgot about Tokyo Ghost somehow!
Disclaimer. The legion lost and Waids run is two different versions of legion. So characters, designs, etc don't carry over. There's been like 3-4 different legion reboots. And legion lost follow on hasn't been collected by DC. So if you wanted you could start just with the said run as its a stand alone interpretation of the characters

I watched the episode of Justice league Unlimited with the Legion yesterday and was only thinking I should read some of the newer stuff. Only read levitz's old run.

Sitting in my Uni library, reading comics and thinking about watching that JL vs TT movie.

Disclaimer. The legion lost and Waids run is two different versions of legion. So characters, designs, etc don't carry over. There's been like 3-4 different legion reboots. And legion lost follow on hasn't been collected by DC. So if you wanted you could start just with the said run as its a stand alone interpretation of the characters
Think that's what I'll do. Thanks for all the help. Legion of 3 Worlds needs to be read at some point too, didn't realize Superboy Prime was in it until I was searching around on cmx.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Saga #29-30:
so many casualties, it's a massacre. The Brand :( The final page, where her dog is howling, hit me hard.

Man do I love this series. Every issue, every page, it's brilliant

No fucking clue what is going on in Clean Room, but I'm really liking it.

I need to catch up on Saga. I fell off after the third trade and just sort of forgot all about it. Sex Criminals too, waiting on trades is tough.

Messi

I think the saddest thing about the new Batman rebirth is that they've gone to a house-style artist for it. Capullo spoiled me and I was really hoping we got another unique style this go around.

All-Star Batman's going to be craaaazy though.

Wtf Janin isn't house style

Hmm somehow I missed news of Janin being on there. That's pretty awesome, then.

In regards to Finch, he is by no means a bad artist, but to me he is easily the least impressive of the big DC house-style artists. I find the work of Lee, Fabok, Reis, Tony Daniels, etc. a lot more enjoyable to my eyes. I just don't get EXCITED when I see that Finch will be drawing.

Regardless, this will be a good book.

But Brett Booth is still around.

;)

Wtf Janin isn't house style

He said he missed that part

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What if Tom Kings tweets where talked about Twilight of the Superheroes mean that he is going to write an adaption of Moores Pitch?

The hardcover edition of Saga is $33 on Amazon. Really tempted to pick it up.

Word of advice: only use Amazon as a last resort or as a very measured choice. InStockTrades.com is cheaper 90% of the time, and Amazon has terrible packaging; about 60-70% of the books I order from Amazon are damaged.

Mitch

Banned
Word of advice: only use Amazon as a last resort or as a very measured choice. InStockTrades.com is cheaper 90% of the time, and Amazon has terrible packaging; about 60-70% of the books I order from Amazon are damaged.
I've used IST a few times. It's a bit cheaper there, but with Amazon I'd have it by Friday.

Out of the dozen or so books I've ordered from Amazon, I think I've only received 1-2 with minor damage due to not enough packing material. If anything, I can always return it and have a quick turnaround.

I've used IST a few times. It's a bit cheaper there, but with Amazon I'd have it by Friday.

Out of the dozen or so books I've ordered from Amazon, I think I've only received 1-2 with minor damage due to not enough packing material. If anything, I can always return it and have a quick turnaround.

oh ok. Sorry. Seems as though you were more informed than I thought :)

Mitch

Banned
This is actually the first time I've ever heard of Valiant.

Then again, I'm still a comic newbie. My first real dive into the comic world was with the N52 release in 2011.

This is actually the first time I've ever heard of Valiant.

Then again, I'm still a comic newbie. My first real dive into the comic world was with the N52 release in 2011.

They're an independent publisher with a big shared universe, aping Marvel and DC for a lot of core ideas. But when it comes to telling original and compelling stories, they're really on another level. Basically imagine if Image had a shared universe (I know, it kind of does) and that's basically what you get. There aren't any hard mature books, but it's aimed at a older teen audience and with essentially no creative restrictions. As they let the creators do whatever they want with the characters and properties, they are as close to a creator-owned superhero universe as you can get.

My only gripe is that I wish they were big enough to release more books, but they release 7-10 books a month.

How long can I expect that IST 45% of all Marvel and DC stuff to last? About to go ham on JLA stuff but might wait till I'm paid Friday

They usually give a date when it ends, but they almost never actually take it off then. In my experience, they don't take it off for a month after most of the time.

Mitch

Banned
They're an independent publisher with a big shared universe, aping Marvel and DC for a lot of core ideas. But when it comes to telling original and compelling stories, they're really on another level. Basically imagine if Image had a shared universe (I know, it kind of does) and that's basically what you get. There aren't any hard mature books, but it's aimed at a older teen audience and with essentially no creative restrictions. As they let the creators do whatever they want with the characters and properties, they are as close to a creator-owned superhero universe as you can get.

My only gripe is that I wish they were big enough to release more books, but they release 7-10 books a month.

They usually give a date when it ends, but they almost never actually take it off then. In my experience, they don't take it off for a month after most of the time.
If I see any at my LCS today, I'll check them out.

I may take advantage of this 45% off sale and pick up some of the Batman volumes.

Didn't the creators of John Wick just sign on to helm their cinematic universe or something like that? Hopefully if they get a movie that goes well it will help out the comics end. I'd imagine it'd help for something people have likely not heard of before more than it'd help for Marvel and DC that are mostly a known quantity.

Didn't the creators of John Wick just sign on to helm their cinematic universe or something like that? Hopefully if they get a movie that goes well it will help out the comics end. I'd imagine it'd help for something people have likely not heard of before more than it'd help for Marvel and DC that are mostly a known quantity.

They signed on the John Wick directors to direct the Bloodshot film. I'm not sure they have anyone helming the universe, but Matthew Vaughn is involved in an EP capacity.

That's really the best case scenario and what the Valiant people are looking to do - drum up interest in the comics. Of course, they'll try their best to do what they do with their comics on film, but they're main intent is get more comic readers to enjoy their books.

I'm kind of happy about their focus tbph. More books would inevitably dilute the seasoning. As it stands they can tell really connected stories and keep their continuity super tight. The way they handle the future with Rai and Bloodshot Reborn and that Eternal Warrior story a year or so back is really impressive. And they're really starting to up their art game. Kano, Raul Allen, Ryp, now they got LaFuente, Larossa, AND they brought back Shadowman in Ninjak and finally made him interesting.

Highly recommend this manga I just picked up called Golem, btw. Gorgeous stuff.

They signed on the John Wick directors to direct the Bloodshot film. I'm not sure they have anyone helming the universe, but Matthew Vaughn is involved in an EP capacity.

That's really the best case scenario and what the Valiant people are looking to do - drum up interest in the comics. Of course, they'll try their best to do what they do with their comics on film, but they're main intent is get more comic readers to enjoy their books.

Ah, maybe it was just a weirdly written headline. Honestly, just the signing of them alone had me interested in the comics more.

Boogiepop

About maybe 2/3s of the way through the 3rd Walking Dead Compendium now. Just finished the All Out War arc (or a least what is titled as such) and huh. I'm pretty sure I recall some comments in here about how that dragged on for so long or whatever, but the actual arc was only 2 trades/chapters. 3 if you add the precursor one which I guess was also pretty much part of it. Was expecting MUCH longer. Guess being both a manga reader and a trade waiter has given me different expectations on what's considered "long" or "stretched out". I guess that at least would've felt decently long if you were reading it monthly though, to be fair, but yeah, felt borderline brief and over too soon to me.

(I'll have more proper thoughts on the series when I finish this compendium).

Also: maaaaan, the Absolute Dark Knight (mainly for returns) is out of print, and Batman v Superman kind of has me wanting a reread as it's been YEARS since I've touched it. How is the current "deluxe edition" that's on shelves? And for that matter since I'm thinking of it, have they ever done a reprint on an Absolute? And also, I noticed that there's actually a lot of Morrison Batman in Absolute format now. Does that piece together into the whole run, or is it still missing pieces?

Also: maaaaan, the Absolute Dark Knight (mainly for returns) is out of print, and Batman v Superman kind of has me wanting a reread as it's been YEARS since I've touched it. How is the current "deluxe edition" that's on shelves? And for that matter since I'm thinking of it, have they ever done a reprint on an Absolute? And also, I noticed that there's actually a lot of Morrison Batman in Absolute format now. Does that piece together into the whole run, or is it still missing pieces?

The Sandman absolutes keep getting a lot of reprints, but here are quite a few Absolutes that have been OOP for a while.

I don't think the whole Morrison run is in absolutes yet.

Messi

Cheers for the IST info guys, ill leave it till Friday and grab some other stuff too!

Beware shipping to Ireland is very expensive. You have to order a lot to get good discounts. Most of my orders are 3-400€

But the shipping is incredible. Even the box they ship the books in has never been dented for me.

Beware shipping to Ireland is very expensive. You have to order a lot to get good discounts. Most of my orders are 3-400€

But the shipping is incredible. Even the box they ship the books in has never been dented for me.

How much do your IST orders generally weigh? Does the postman need two other people to help him carry it?

I was just going to ask about IST. Never used it before and I'm in the UK; is it still worth buying from? Are there any UK based alternatives?

Edit: Just checked how much shipping would be if I wanted to buy six books from IST and holy shit. I can get these from Waterstones cheaper.

Wow ya just checked that, pricey enough. Guess I'll just have to add some other stuff I've been considering for a while and see how it changes!

I was just going to ask about IST. Never used it before and I'm in the UK; is it still worth buying from? Are there any UK based alternatives?

Edit: Just checked how much shipping would be if I wanted to buy six books from IST and holy shit. I can get these from Waterstones cheaper.

I always use Speedyhen. Cheaper than Amazon, quick delivery and they package books well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Figured I'd pop in to let you guys know I'll be joining East Coast ComicsGAF! Just got a job in New Hampshire.

I'll also have much more free time and be much less stressed all the time, which seems like a likely recipe for me getting back to reading comics. I really hope that's the case, because I miss reading and enjoying comics so much.

Messi

Figured I'd pop in to let you guys know I'll be joining East Coast ComicsGAF! Just got a job in New Hampshire.

I'll also have much more free time and be much less stressed all the time, which seems like a likely recipe for me getting back to reading comics. I really hope that's the case, because I miss reading and enjoying comics so much.

Welcome to comicgaf, what kind of books do you enjoy?

arkon

Speedyhen, Wordery, ebay and the Amazon UK marketplaces are the ones I go to. Usually do a price check across the lot to see who is cheaper. It tends to be speedyhen but they don't always stock everything e.g. the Fantagraphics Carl Barks library of Duck books

Bii

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wishing you the best of my luck, my friend.

No way. Me and Zombeen are over here. That's enough.

Top Bottom