• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Korvac Saga #1 was alright. I like when they mess around with the idea of people remembering pre-secret wars stuff and thats a big part of it. Its also crazy that Marvel did a tie-in based on a obscure 70s guardians/avengers crossover.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Korvac Saga #1 was alright. I like when they mess around with the idea of people remembering pre-secret wars stuff and thats a big part of it. Its also crazy that Marvel did a tie-in based on a obscure 70s guardians/avengers crossover.

I liked the Korvac Saga. I probably would have put it in my Top 10 tie-ins.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ah found the weirdest face

y3ADGci.png

Which I didn't read, either. Is that good?
Like, imagine a supervillain team-up consisting of Lex, Cold, Black Adam, Sinestro, Black Manta, Deathstroke, and Bizarro. Batman and Catwoman also tag along. Now imagine that they're all fighting the Crime Syndicate and shitload of other villains.

Imagine the ultimate buddy teams that you never knew you wanted: Black Adam and Sinestro, Black Manta and Captain Cold, Lex Luthor and Bizarro, Deathstroke and someone else's fist to Deathstroke's face!

It's fucking radical, is what it is.

I bought some physical comics while I was gone:

Secret Six vol 2
Catwoman vol 7
Harley and Power Girl TP
Bombshells Vol 1
Supergirl - The Girl of Steel Vol 1
Black Canary Vol 1
Criminal Vol 1 (I really enjoyed The Fade Out so I hope this is good)
Superior Foes Omnibus

How did I do?
Dsd7Ffe.gif

In the most recent issue of Batgirl there is a page that can be interpreted as retconing the Killing Joke. The book doesn't say one way out another, and after some tweets by the creative team on Wednesday endorsing this view, Cameron Stewart did some major backpedaling this morning saying it was up to the reader to make of it what they will and that it was purposefully ambiguous.
Here's the page if y'all are interested - http://i.imgur.com/p3fokya.jpg

As much as I love Babs Tarr's art, I think Batgirl is due for a creative shake up. The book feels like its been shining its wheels since the first arc ended with issue 40. I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart stick around on pencils, but the writing needs some direction.
But why bother with that retcon? It's like retconning Rogue taking Ms. Marvel's powers.
He came in like a real Dark Horse
Hope Push begins, fuck you Edgar Wright
I like the look
Would you believe it if I told you it was Nico Minoru?
My first guess, actually

Just sat down and restarted Copra from the beginning since I couldn't remember where I left off on. Just finished Round One, and man, what an awesome comic. I LOVE Fiffe's coloring and use of panels. The coloring is very different than what most series do and it kind of reminds me of Megahex. The paneling is very creative with how Fiffe uses them to cut word balloons and whatnot. His designs for the characters are also incredibly stylish, my favorites are Vitas, Lloyd, and Count Compota. Just very cool looking characters. Really enjoyed Fiffe's little letter at the end of issue #2 as well, how he talks about not getting caught up in the past and just have fun with it... You can tell he's having fun and it's fun to read!

So yeah, great comic. I'm normally not one to talk about physical vs digital, since I don't have a major preference, but the physical trades for this series just are so great with the more unusual paperstock and covers used. Highly recommend it over digital if you can.

Much love, as always, to fauxtrot for bringing this comic into my life and sending me this book a while ago for free. Real MVP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Deadpool, Cable, Rogue, Quicksilver... wait a minute, this is actually one of them mutie X-Men books isnt it?

Old Man Logan #3
Interesting how
they have the new Spider-Woman and Quicksilver costumes, but apparently FemThor never happened.
Nothing haven't said before. Sorrentino/Lemire da gawds. Also holy shit I just realized that Sorrentino is reusing his Oliver Queen for Logan. Look at the faces.

A-Force #3
Man I'm not feeling this book as much as I want to. Like...I'm not sure why. Just not. Also, it bugs me that they refer to The Ultimates as if Carol isn't on that team.

Invincible Iron Man #7
Man Deodato is certainly no Marquez. Also the Bendis speak is strong here. Also every time I look at the cover it looks like Mary Jane has a huge tooth gap. I'd like the plot of the book more if it wasn't padded with pointless dialogue. Sometimes the exchanges are funny, but they get tiring after awhile. I'm still interested, but the book certainly isn't as good as the first arc.

Deadpool, Cable, Rogue, Quicksilver... wait a minute, this is actually one of them mutie X-Men books isnt it?

Fuck I really want to read that. It looks like the X-Force book we deserve (Uncanny isn't cutting it). Has the art and writing improved since the first issue? I couldn't get past everyone being the hugest of douches to Deadpool. Like Rogue I can kinda buy, but Peter was going over the top. The art bummed me out super hard as well, since I really enjoyed Stegman on Inhuman.

Mindwipe

One day I will steal it and sell it back to you panel by panel.

--

I read the first 7 issues of Giant Days. This book is lovely and delightful and full of life. Get it. There is not one evil thing about it.

It is, as is all of John Allison's stuff.

Finished reading Y: The Last Man the other day. Great series. It's weird, I got to a point where I thought it had nowhere near enough time to craft a coherent ending, but then it did. Not a happy one, but a coherent (both plot and emotionally coherent) one.

I'm not sure about the
morphogenic explanation for the plague
though, I expect people hated that at the time? Lolled at the Preacher references given I'd just finished reading that.

Next up I'm reading Alias. I used to read it back in the day but I'm not sure I ever did the complete run. Reads well so far, though it's very, very, very Bendis. But in his better ways.

Mindwipe

The hook for A-Force never grabbed me, and I was always puzzled about how the Secret Wars/main universe migration could work convincingly.

I'm all for a female team book, but Marvel completely failed to explain why I should be excited about that team otherwise. That happened with nearly all the team books coming out of SW to be honest, apart from The Ultimates.

Edit: Also lol at this Batgirl mess. DC Editorial, pls.

C2E2 is looking awesome this year...

Mike Mignola
Scott Snyder
Greg Capullo
Phil Noto
Jae Lee
Ryan Browne
Geof Darrow
Vanesa Del Ray
Francis Manapul
Eric Canete
Chris Burnham
Aaron Kuder

Just some of the big names.

May drive down this year and pull a Kipp.

GjoOS1P.png

Sucks, Liefeld cancelled early.

Also preplanning a little.. I'm pretty sure i will stay clear of Snyder this year... I've gone the last two year and his damn line is usually at least a 2 hour wait.. But I will wait for Capullo... Get my Batman #1 signed and graded...again (already have Snyder)

Owzers

Lionhead closing, the death of Fable, it's not surprising but the series deserved better. I didn't like Fable 3, they never realized their vision for the game, and then it went to Kinect and f2p hell instead of trying to improve.

I'm in the middle of trying to catch up to some DC YOU titles and I just have to ask, is Grayson the new it guy in DC? He seems to make an appearance in almost every book I read. It isn't too big of an issue but it just seems crazy how many things they put him in week to week.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
C2E2 is looking awesome this year...

Mike Mignola
Scott Snyder
Greg Capullo
Phil Noto
Jae Lee
Ryan Browne
Geof Darrow
Vanesa Del Ray
Francis Manapul
Eric Canete
Chris Burnham
Aaron Kuder

Just some of the big names.

Not necessarily the people I'd be interested in but still plenty of people I would like to see in the overall list.

I'm also on vacation that week. I'd go if I thought I could find someone to go with. But I don't think I want to go solo.

If it does happen, it's nowhere near the pints-per-second portrayed in animu.

Really? I absolutely imagined that there were tons of Japanese people who were losing near-fatal amounts of blood every time they saw an attractive member of the opposite sex.

Definitely thought that.

This is new and surprising information to me.

Boogiepop

Well damn. Finished the first Walking Dead Compendium, and I think I am indeed hooked enough to pick up the other two. It's very much in that area where it feels pretty janky and questionably written, but it's still got a certain something to keep me hooked. Kind of the same way I felt about the first Hunger Games book (though not THAT poorly written, as holy crap that book is poorly written, and I'm also hoping this doesn't devolve into pure garbage in the second book/compendium the way that did...)

The ending to the Compendium was definitely intense, with the whole
fall of the prison and just so many deaths. A shame that my friend had to be like "oh, did Lori die yet? That happens real early, right?" a few days before I read it, as it definitely stole some of the impact. (Also, on a tangent that doesn't actually apply here but comes to mind: there really needs to be a way to turn off the words "death/dies" etc on google's auto-suggest, as that HAS spoiled me once or twice because if you ever need to google a character to like figure out the actor or the spelling of the name or whatever and they eventually die, it WILL be in the autosuggest and totally spoil that, which is lame.) Oh, and the death of the Governor was pretty satisfying after all that. Half wonder if it wouldn't have been better to straight play the paranoia between the two groups instead, though. That's where it felt like it was heading when they blew up the stuff, but then it was all "nope, the Governor's alive and is still tricking them to doing messed up, antagonistic stuff." I don't know, just feels like a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom