• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Owzers

You guys spend so much money on Statues but what are your thoughts on Funkos.

I think that funkos, while much more affordable as a fun purchase, lack enough detail for me to really want one with expectations of it being more than a novelty item i'd tire of. I've debated a Rey one, and now black panther and supergirl when it comes out, but i don't know if i'll get any of them. I'm quite impressed with the amiibo twilight princess figure thing that came with my game bundle, as small figure things go.

MG310

I don't mind Pops but I could do without the massive pile of Reaction figures.

That being said, this Ruby Rhod Reaction figure i have is pretty good but just makes me wish NECA would make a good one.

9 times out of 10 when I'm thinking of getting one, I change my mind before I even get to the register. I have some, don't get me wrong (the Sharknado one is AMAZING), but for the most part, these things probably cost $1 to manufacture, and it shows.

And I thought I was the person to resurrect old COMICS threads.
I picked up the very first trade when I was really into Gears. They weren't bad but they were pretty forgettable. One of the characters it introduced appeared in Gears 3.

I thought so. The comics you unlock in the Ultimate Edition were pretty forgettable. I wonder if DC still has the rights to make them.

KiraXD

Trying to complete my Ultimate Joe Madureira collection (hopefully before SDCC this july so i can finish getting them signed as well (just this list here is 98% signed)...I Have most of them marked off a few different checklists, and im pretty close to completing it.

Heres my up to date collection:
1vy1KCi.jpg

7s4gp8R.jpg

WNZ5rEv.jpg

xqAqcXx.jpg

Im pretty sure i have the rarest books out of the way (GotG #2 variant, Xin Artist Proof [only 25 produced] every Battle Chasers book/variant/trade and 2nd printing, Manga Spider-Man 28[27 was the easy issue to find, took me 16 years to find 28 lol])

This is one of the Checklists im using and if Anyone know any other books not on this list that ive missed lemme know!

Advanced Comics #61
Akira #38 (Pin-Up)
Astonishing X-Men #01, 02, 03, 04, TPB
Avengers #389 (Small Black Widow Costume Design)
Avenging Spider-Man #01, 02, 03
Batman/Superman #26 (Two Pages)
Battle Chasers #00, 00 (Gold Foil), 01, 01b (Chrome), 1c (Monika Cover), 1d (Monika Gold Cover), 1e (Charest Cover), 1f (Second Print), 02, 02 (Chrome), 03, 04a, 04b, 04c, 04d, 05, 06a (Black Cover), 06b (White Cover), 07a, 07b (JSCampbell Cover), 08, 09, 10 (Pin Up Ad) Collected Edition #01, 02
Battle Chasers Anthology HC, HC S&N
Battle Chasers: Gathering of Heroes HC, TPB
Cliffhanger Sketchbook: Wizard edition, Wizard Con Edition
Computer Games Magazine #163 (Cover)
Crimson #07 (Variant cover), 7b (Red Foil Cover)
Danger Girl #06 (Variant cover)
Dark Minds Vol.2 #03 (Variant cover)
Darkstalkers #01 (Foil Cover), 03 (Foil Cover), 04 (Foil Cover)
D.C. Comics Amalgram Poster
Deadly Foes of Spider-Man TPB (Cover)
Deadpool #01, 02, 03, 04
DV8 #22 (Cover)
EVE Protomecha #01 (Variant cover)
Exarch Poster
Excalibur #57, 58, 68 (Cover), 71 (Cover), 82, Excalibur vs. X-Men
Frank Frazetta Fantasy Illustrated #02 (Cover, plus 10 page battle chasers story)
Guardians of the Galaxy #2 (Variant Cover)
Gargoyles #01 (Cover)
Gen13 #26 (Variant Cover)
Gen Active #01 (Variant Cover)
Generation X #15, 16, 33 (Covers)
G.I.Joe #130 (Pin-Up)
Godwheel #03 (Interiors)
Guardians of the Galaxy #2 (Variant Cover)
Hipflask Unnatural Selection #01 (Cover)
House of M #01 (Variant Cover)
InHuman #01, 02, 03, 04 (Variant Cover)
Iron and the Maiden #01 (Cover and Sketches)
Kaboom Vol. 2 #01a, 01b (Foil), 02a, 02b (Con variant)
MAX (Marvel Avengers / X-men) Yearbook (Hologram Cover and Pin-Up)
Marvel Comics Presents #87, 89, 92, 99, 119, 120, 121, 122
Marvel Spotlight: Ultimates 3 (Cover and some interiors)
Marvel Visonaires: Joe Madureira TPB
Marvel vs. Capcom: Official Complete Works (Interior piece)
Mighty Thor Annual #19 (Pin-Up)
Onslaught Reborn #2 (Cover)
PSM Magazine #6, 11a, 11b, 19, 21, 26, 36, 43, 51, 81, 83 (Unused Cover)
Riot Magazine #01 (Cover plus interview)
Saffire #01a (Cover), 01b (Blue Foil Variant Cover)
Satanika #0 (Pin-Up)
Savage Wolverine #06, 07, 08
Soul Saga #01 (Variant Cover)
Spectacular Spider-Man #213 (Cover), Annual #14 (Cover)
Spider-Man Manga #28 (Cover), 29 (Cover)
Spider-man vs. Dracula #1 (Cover)
Steampunk #04 (Variant Cover)
Street Fighter #00a, 00b (Black Foil), 01 (Covers plus #01 has a 5 page back-up story), 13 (Cover)
Superman #165 (Interior)
Taskmasters #04 (Variant Cover)
The Art of Darksiders
Thundercats #03 (Variant Cover)
Trama Corps #01 (Cover)
Ultimate Vision #01 (Cover)
Ultimates Vol. 3 #01a (Heroes), 01b (Villains), 01c (Heroes Pencils), 01d (Villains Pencils), 01e (Second Print), 02a, 02b (Second Print), 03a, 03b (Second Print), 04, 05
Ultimates 3: March on Ultimatum TPB
Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch? HC, HC Pencils, TBP
Ultimatum HC
Uncanny X-Men #312, 313, 316, 317, 318 (Cover), 320 (Cover), 322 (Cover), 323 (Cover), 325, 326, 327 (Cover), 328, 329, 330, 332, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 340, 341, 342a, 342b, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349 (Cover), 350, 351 (Cover)
Vampirella (2010) #01 (Variant Cover)
Vanguard #03
WildC.A.T.S #01 (Cover), #47 (Cover)
WildC.A.T.S Source Book #02 (Cover and Interior)
Wizard Magazine #41, 49, 58, 72, 78, 88, 93, 119, 221 (All Covers)
Wizard: Superman Special (Poster)
Wonder Woman #600 (Page)
X-Factor Annual #07
Xin #01 (Variant Cover)
X-Men (2013) #01 (Variant Cover)
X-Men Alpha #01
X-Men Classic #81, 82, 83 (Covers)
X-Men Pizza Hut Promo Poster
X-Men: The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic Book TPB
X-Men Unlimited #04 (Cover)
X-Men Wedding Limited Litho (Diamond Comics)

Any help tracking down any Joe Madureira book would be appreciated!

I dont like making random threads and this is comic related I guess so lets discuss here:

You guys reckon there's any chance they go full blown demons / The Beast in Daredevil season 2?

The second trailer has someone saying "you cant stop the rising", a figure removing a hood which most assume is Nobu, which would introduce resurrection, a giant hole on the ground. The DD twitter has a new teaser with the quote "an ancient evil is coming, time to suit up". If you add to that the fact that Dr.Strange is out this year and that Iron Fist is finally being shot soon, could DD S2 be our first full blown mystical entry in the MCU?
I want to say no. Mostly because bringing Frank in and then going full blown mysticism would be a little much, I think.
I have a bunch. They pulled me in with the BtVS ones, so I collected all of those. Now I just buy ones I think are really cool. They're cheap, comparatively, and don't take up much space.

Trying to complete my Ultimate Joe Madureira collection (hopefully before SDCC this july so i can finish getting them signed as well (just this list here is 98% signed)...I Have most of them marked off a few different checklists, and im pretty close to completing it.

Im pretty sure i have the rarest books out of the way (GotG #2 variant, Xin Artist Proof [only 25 produced] every Battle Chasers book/variant/trade and 2nd printing, Manga Spider-Man 28[27 was the easy issue to find, took me 16 years to find 28 lol])

This is one of the Checklists im using and if Anyone know any other books not on this list that ive missed lemme know!

You might be missing some variants he did for the Street Fighter comics.

Are you also going after all his PSM magazine covers too? Loved that magazine back in the day. They had a long stretch where they used comic book artists for all their covers. Made them standout from the pack.

All the funkos I own came in the Marvel Collector Corps boxes. I wanted a normal Captain Phasma one but whenever I went to grab one in a shop I'd notice problems with the paint job so never bothered to get it. Like the look of that new Black panther one tho.

Zombine

Banned

Do you like Joe Mad?

TruHero

Banned
IST Order

Elektra Omnibus
Uncanny X-Men Volume 3
Superior Foes
Green Arrow/Black Canary Wedding Album

Page is on its way from Felix too :D

Also Cliff Chiang/Felix Comic Art is apparently giving away a signed Arrow/Canary statue to someone who buys one of his pages during the sale.

.https://twitter.com/cliffchiang/status/707198827141455872

What do you guys think of the Batman Neal Adams omnibus? Is it just a collection of his work on Batman, or an actual story arc?

I'm reading avenger undercover right now, how old is deathlocket supposed to be? In Arena she was drawn like she's 6-10 but she's like 17 in this. She's definitely not a preteen anymore

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-return-of-the-black-panther/471516/

Ta-Nehisi Coates on the new run.

Despite the difference in style and practice of storytelling, my approach to comic books ultimately differs little from my approach to journalism. In both forms, I am trying to answer a question. In my work for The Atlantic I have, for some time, been asking a particular question: Can a society part with, and triumph over, the very plunder that made it possible? In Black Panther there is a simpler question: Can a good man be a king, and would an advanced society tolerate a monarch? Research is crucial in both cases. The Black Panther I offer pulls from the archives of Marvel and the character’s own long history. But it also pulls from the very real history of society—from the pre-colonial era of Africa, the peasant rebellions that wracked Europe toward the end of the Middle Ages, the American Civil War, the Arab Spring, and the rise of isis.

ElNarez

Banned
Mockingbird #1 > Black Widow #1

And like, Black Widow was a super dope action scene, don't get me wrong, Samnee drew the fuck out of it and Waid wrote exactly as little dialogue as was required (though that line about ballet was one of those "hawk-eye" style groaners imo), but, at the end of the day, it's got that same late-Daredevil-run problem of not really having something to say. It's craft for craft's sake, not trying to make a point or to be anything other than kicks and explosions.

Mockingbird on the other hand? It's a weird book that claims to be an action book, but could very well be a conspiracy thriller, a story about living with mental illness, a horror book or, even stranger, all three at the same time. And it pulls it off.

Mockingbird #1 is good. Not as formally impressive as Black Widow #1, but its like the book Spider-Woman thinks it is, with its mix of sarcasm and sincerity, its personable voice guiding us through the otherworldly and extraordinary.

tim1138

Black Panther looks great, as expected. I'm pretty sure when it was announced Coates said it would only be 11 or 12 issues.

We're actually tripping balls collectively. It's awful and we don't even know it.

Oh

nooooooooooo

-------

On the Red Hood/Arsenal Lobdell may or may not be doing an interesting character salvage with Joker's Daughter. I thought there was some interesting progress being made, and then the last couple of pages happened and I dunno anymore. If it's a fakeout, it's a lame one, and if it's not, it's not what I want, so idk.

This was funny though.

eNLpr5U.jpg

tim1138

Do we know if it's the shitty recolored version of his Batman work or the original version?

That I don't know, I haven't seen anything saying one way or the other, but I also haven't looked. My guess is its the original colors though.

It's a new Marvel initiative they're calling proactive cancellation.

Anyone expecting Coates to have a long run was kidding themselves. As a life long Marvel fan, Im sure it's a nice vanity project for him, but dude was never gonna give up his regular gig (which earned him a MacArthur Fellowship) to slum it as a comics writer.

This is a pretty cool variant.. I've been off the Variant kick for awhile now.. but my inner child is telling me i need this.
I dont give many shits about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,, at least I haven't in 20 years.. lol

Top Bottom