• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Owzers

So he's never coming back?

usa-today-8172405.0.jpg

Never give up Valiant hope.

VanWinkle

"gorgeous"

gross.

Last time he actually went as far as to redraw certain panels instead of just recolor them.

I'm fine with him recoloring because I think it looks better in a lot of areas (worse in a few from what I've seen). But man, I wish he wouldn't have re-inked them. A lot of panels I saw looked objectively worse after the re-inking.

This week's rankings:

1) Vision
2) Gotham Academy
3) The Legend of Wonder Woman
4) Bombshells
5) Red Hood/Arsenal
6) Batman & Robin Eternal
7) Starfire
8) Batman/TMNT
9) Action Comics
10) Catwoman

Probably going to drop Catwoman. It's a decent crime story on its own merits, but I'm just not feeling it.

AC would've been much higher, but the pivotal moment of the issue is held back by some really weird/bad art.

Positions 5-8 are pretty much interchangeable; Batman/TMNT continues to be the platonic ideal of crossover comics, I'm not loving Starfire's new artist (though they're doing an okay job, it just doesn't work as well), Red Hood/Arsenal was brilliant and then there was a last-second swerve that has the potential to undo all the good work done by the rest of the issue which is... annoying, and while Batman & Robin Eternal had some fun moments it was very much an issue devoted to setting up the end (and also some weird art moments).

Bombshells and Legend of Wonder Woman are two books I consistently look forward to every week and proof, I think, that DC's bimonthly efforts post-Rebirth have potential. Legends is particularly good; gorgeous art and a compelling story, albeit one with a couple of very rushed-reading dialogue bubbles. Bombshells made me think I missed an issue or something, so it gets pushed back to 4th.

Gotham Academy was fucking ADORABLE. I love the Yearbook. And a surprise visit from no less a personage than Damian Wayne adds a cherry on top. They really need to add that guy to the main cast post-Rebirth, he won't have his own book any more, do it DC.

And finally, Vision. What else is there to say about Vision that hasn't already been said? How do you describe a superhero book that leads with the famous monologue from Merchant of Venice? It is, simply put, a masterpiece.

I'm fine with him recoloring because I think it looks better in a lot of areas (worse in a few from what I've seen). But man, I wish he wouldn't have re-inked them. A lot of panels I saw looked objectively worse after the re-inking.

I don't mind him recoloring them, I just wish the originals were preserved. The original issues are the only way to get a lot of those issues unaltered and some of them aren't cheap. Even the black and white Showcase volumes use his redrawn art. It's a pretty important run in comic book history to not be preserved.

tim1138

Weekly rankings

1. Starman omnibus vol 2

and that's it. I didn't feel like buying anything this week and figured my time would be better spent reading Starman for the first time in ages.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Latino Review ‏@LRNews 8m8 minutes ago
MARVELOUS @DA7E: Tomorrow's #CaptainAmericaCivilWar Trailer Has Something AMAZING http://buff.ly/1LRuq2m #SpiderMan

It's just nice to see that every once in awhile. Compilations of comic hero costumes. Fuck Iron Spider though. Shit's ugly.
Very interesting. I do believe this will be the first BP book I pick up.
Oh

nooooooooooo

-------

On the Red Hood/Arsenal Lobdell may or may not be doing an interesting character salvage with Joker's Daughter. I thought there was some interesting progress being made, and then the last couple of pages happened and I dunno anymore. If it's a fakeout, it's a lame one, and if it's not, it's not what I want, so idk.

This was funny though.

eNLpr5U.jpg
The bolded sums up my feelings on that book as a whole
I just like being a shit
This is a pretty cool variant.. I've been off the Variant kick for awhile now.. but my inner child is telling me i need this.
I dont give many shits about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,, at least I haven't in 20 years.. lol
Wait you don't have it already?
Oh goddamnit. Is Lashley staying forever? PLEASE?

Is that Selina crime lord story still going? I finished re-reading Snyder's Graveyard Shift Batman trade today and she was doing it then. Though I think that issue was a preview of what would happen in Eternal.

Is that Selina crime lord story still going? I finished re-reading Snyder's Graveyard Shift Batman trade today and she was doing it then. Though I think that issue was a preview of what would happen in Eternal.

Nah, it wrapped a few issues back. This current one's been a bit of a noir crime story, which would normally be exactly my speed but... idk, it's just not clicking.

TheFlow

Banned
Daredevil and elektra onibus came in...they are gorgeous

the elektra art is amazing. did the same who worked on this work on the Alias; jessica jones?

So I'm here hoping someone can Answer something for me.

I just borrowed some superman trades from the library, I'm currently going through action comics volume 2:Bullet proof
why is superman wearing two costumes?

I thought it might be a past/future thing but no, one page he's in one costume taking hamsters from some dude, next page he's in the other costume *with* the hamsters and with the justice league.

The next issue he's under a new identity and the old costume, pages later he's with batman in the other costume talking about how he maybe shouldn't have ditched the old identity.

What gives?

Top Bottom