• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Any recommendations as far as modern X-Men stories go? I read some articles and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men popped up a couple of times. Are these two all I need for that?

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/ASTONISHING-X-MEN-WHEDON-CASSADAY-ULT-COLL-TP-BOOK-1/DEC110705

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/ASTONISHING-X-MEN-WHEDON-CASSADAY-ULT-COLL-TP-BOOK-2/JAN120719

Anything else I can look for? Ideally would like something relatively self contained that isnt 5+ TP's long.

This is exactly what you're looking for, and those are all you need

especially because I can't seem to find the ultimate collections of Morrison's New X-Men and its twice as long

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Vision is starting to lose me. The issue today felt like some weird holding pattern filler shit like what racked Fraction's Hawkeye run.

If I'm gonna spend money on your book every month, you sort of have to make sure enough shit happens in it that I couldn't skip every other issue and still be fine.

Please explain with full spoilers

billcosbyinnocent.png

Messi

So the Batwoman bombshell won't fit into the base. Apparently this was the quality control issue they had. Piece of shit. Just going to leave it in the box. Just done with it. Pretty sure I am done with bombshells now too.

tim1138

Has anyone else been reading Chris Sebela's We(l)come Back? It's about two ancient warring factions, who upon killing their rival die and then both are reincarnated. At some point in their next lives there is a trigger moment that causes them to awaken and remember their past lives and their destiny. It's nowhere near as convoluted as it sounds and two issues in is pretty good so far.

https://m.comixology.com/Welcome-Back/comics-series/50027

So the Batwoman bombshell won't fit into the base. Apparently this was the quality control issue they had. Piece of shit. Just going to leave it in the box. Just done with it. Pretty sure I am done with bombshells now too.

What's wrong with it? The legs on mine were a little too close together, but I was able to pull them just a bit so the pegs fit into the base. Didn't break or anything, astonishingly.

Messi

Yeah, mine was the same way. I put the base down, put one peg in, then pulled the other leg until it the other peg poppes into the base too. I cringed the entire time.

Some people on a forum said they heated the legs with a hair dryer and slowly spread the legs.

Some people on a forum said they heated the legs with a hair dryer and slowly spread the legs.

That works too. I've done that with a few of my pvc anime waifus. The issue is more common with those. One time I had one where the pegs in the base were too large for the holes in her feet... In that case, I used the hot water trick. In either event, the point is to very slightly soften the material to move it into a better position.

Messi

That works too. I've done that with a few of my pvc anime waifus. The issue is more common with those. One time I had one where the pegs in the base were too large for the holes in her feet... In that case, I used the hot water trick. In either event, the point is to very slightly soften the material to move it into a better position.

How long are we talking here?

Awesome, so nothing else worth looking out for then?

Well there's Morrison's New X-Men, but its longer at 40+ issues. There's also the first 20 issues of Uncanny X-Force I can definitely recommend.

There's some deeper cuts I could throw out like X-Statix or BKV's Ultiamte X-Men, but the Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-Men run is a great primer. Its really accessible, between Whedon's peppy scripting and Cassaday/Martin's realistic artwork and wide-screen panels. Small team of X-men starring mostly well-known characters, mutants as social justice metaphors and superhero vs supervillians, all that good jazz.

If you do get Morrison's New X-Men run though, read that before Astonishing X-Men. Astonishing X-Men is kinda the sequel to that run.

nigga WHAT

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wolverine and The X-Men volume 1 (#1-42 IIRC) is the correct awnser

That run is fucking amazing

Edit: but JC tells no lies, Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing are great

tim1138

Well there's Morrison's New X-Men, but its longer at 40+ issues. There's also the first 20 issues of Uncanny X-Force I can definitely recommend.

There's some deeper cuts I could throw out like X-Statix or BKV's Ultiamte X-Men, but the Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-Men run is a great primer. Its really accessible, between Whedon's peppy scripting and Cassaday/Martin's realistic artwork and wide-screen panels. Small team of X-men starring mostly well-known characters, mutants as social justice metaphors and superhero vs supervillians, all that good jazzy.

Yo, don't forget Aarons Wolverine and the X-Men pre AvsX.

Owzers

i had to do that with my Batwoman bombshell too Messi.

This is what Sillymonkey feels like

yep, for every statue i buy, i'm just a frown. Currently looking for the right color acrylic paint to touch up the baseball bat which has a black mark on the front that is always visible.

mreddie

Vision - Nothing happens, tense as fuck
AN Wolverine - Shit goes down and Gabby is baller.
Agents of SHIELD - Wow, this legit picks up on Standoff Alpha and it's good.
Ms. Marvel - Too Many Kamala Cooks.

Owzers

Are you being serious?

This is kind of a disgrace.

definitely serious. I used a hairdryer for about 3 minutes, i lined up the one peg that fit the best, held that in place, and with very small pressure pushed the other one in. I was worried i'd snap her. You can feel when it starts to give enough to move.

Zombine

Banned
Let's file a class action lawsuit. I will do it on your behalf. I will represent you and reap most of the benefit. How does $940 sound for your troubles? Please make sure to include it on your income tax for next year.*

*I may or may not collect 70% of the settlement for myself. This is just my fee tho.

Weekly rankings

1. Starman omnibus vol 2

and that's it. I didn't feel like buying anything this week and figured my time would be better spent reading Starman for the first time in ages.
*brofist* I'm currently re reading Starman. So good. Jacks transformation is so good and feels very natural. I'm up to issue 38 of my reread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I read Darth Vader #7-8 earlier and that book continues to be a ton of fun. Even more so when those issues are focused on Aphra and her merry gang of bounty hunters.

Marvel knocked it out of the park this week. Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, Vision, Guardians and Doctor Strange (Beware the shrubbery!) were all great.

Top Bottom