• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I cant believe Hell's Kitchen is a actual place and not just a make believe comic book thing

I liked Mockingbird #1 a whole lot, eager to see how it unfolds.

Also got my copy of Lucky Penny today from Kickstarter, looks like a fun time.. Made by the Johnny Wander ppl, which i remember enjoying in the past

tumblr_nqekmzYmdJ1qc2etlo1_500.jpg

The Mighty Thor #4

There it
and he
is
Ultimate Mjolnir
and Odinson
? Because don't hype me like that.
Is there a name for that? Those lines Kirby would draw to represent a sort of sheen?

I know about Kirby dots but what about kirby squiggles?

jack-kirby-comic-book-apocalypse.jpg
See I think that looks great
Man I love that costume.
ANyone who doesn't is a godless fucking heathen.
Any recommendations as far as modern X-Men stories go? I read some articles and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men popped up a couple of times. Are these two all I need for that?

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/ASTONISHING-X-MEN-WHEDON-CASSADAY-ULT-COLL-TP-BOOK-1/DEC110705

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/ASTONISHING-X-MEN-WHEDON-CASSADAY-ULT-COLL-TP-BOOK-2/JAN120719

Anything else I can look for? Ideally would like something relatively self contained that isnt 5+ TP's long.
X-Men: Age of X. It's a nice standalone alternate reality story that has a very interesting take on everything X-Men.

I could see Deadpool teaming up with Steve Rogers to fight The Real Villain Behind This in a mini-series while everyone else is fighting.
Old Man Rogers and Deadpool? I'd read the hell out of that.
Allow me to add to this chain: don't make the mistake I did and buy the plain trade releases of New X-Men, because holy crap they are of poor quality. I'm thankful that this reprint is coming up, as for the first time ever I'm going to need to upgrade to a higher quality edition because these things are literally falling apart. Bleh.
I honestly think you got a bad batch of trades, because mine were perfectly fine.
So not interested in Grayson being just another batfamily dude again...
He wasn't, pre-Flashpoint.

Started reading Vol. 2 of Wolverine and the X-Men (LaTour's run). Who allowed Veltri/Deering/Messina to do art and why are there so many artists per issue (Issues 7, 8, 10, 11)? 9&12 have only one artist and it's the same (Jorge Fornes).

So weird

tim1138

*brofist* I'm currently re reading Starman. So good. Jacks transformation is so good and feels very natural. I'm up to issue 38 of my reread

The last issue I read was 28, Mikaal's flashback story. Two of the earlier issues I had forgotten about are the Christmas story where Jack spends most of the issue helping the homeless guy track down his locket, it's a great character issue since earlier in the run you know Jack would have ignored the guy.
The other issue that jumped out was Shade in the future telling stories to the children. I love the story about the alien Starman who died during the original Crisis, and Shade's line about Barry dying, "that Crisis claimed a friendly foe, to this day I still miss him very much."

James Robinson will never again write anything that reaches thesee heights, but Starman is so good you can forgive all his forgettable stuff.

The last issue I read was 28, Mikaal's flashback story. Two of the earlier issues I had forgotten about are the Christmas story where Jack spends most of the issue helping the homeless guy track down his locket, it's a great character issue since earlier in the run you know Jack would have ignored the guy.
The other issue that jumped out was Shade in the future telling stories to the children. I love the story about the alien Starman who died during the original Crisis, and Shade's line about Barry dying, "that Crisis claimed a friendly foe, to this day I still miss him very much."

James Robinson will never again write anything that reaches thesee heights, but Starman is so good you can forgive all his forgettable stuff.
Yea. I was also surprised how much writing is in each issue. I forgot it was like it and I'm used to comics these days that are way less wordy. The other thing that I love. Whether done intentionally or by accident, DC leaves all these characters alone. After the series ended Only Robinson touches Shade, Jack, etc. and I love that because I couldn't stand Shade going back to generic villian status.

cmx have a bundle sale for brubaker's captain america run on sale now. for anyone who has read it...it has Captain America & The Winter Soldier as one bundle, about 45 issues, and then CA Reborn as another bundle at 30 odd issues. Together are these Brubakers complete run?

tim1138

Yea. I was also surprised how much writing is in each issue. I forgot it was like it and I'm used to comics these days that are way less wordy. The other thing that I love. Whether done intentionally or by accident, DC leaves all these characters alone. After the series ended Only Robinson touches Shade, Jack, etc. and I love that because I couldn't stand Shade going back to generic villian status.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've read a couple times that DC and Robinson have a gentleman's agreement that no one can write any of those characters but him.

Vyer

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've read a couple times that DC and Robinson have a gentleman's agreement that no one can write any of those characters but him.

Shade had a one shot recently, didn't he?

But yeah, seeing him as something other than his Starman run version would be very difficult.

I kind of believe it. Because the only times they have resurfaced Robinson wrote them (Blackest night, Shade mini). Plus they're all so niche it's not like they're locking down characters that are in high demand.

tim1138

Shade had a one shot recently, didn't he?

But yeah, seeing him as something other than his Starman run version would be very difficult.

Not that I'm aware of. There was as 12 issue miniseries around the beginning of the New 52, but Robinson wrote that.

Would a gentleman's agreement still be in effect after he left the company in a fit?

Considering no one else has written those characters I'd say say yes (if true).

I kind of believe it. Because the only times they have resurfaced Robinson wrote them (Blackest night, Shade mini). Plus they're all so niche it's not like they're locking down characters that are in high demand.

And with Stargirl having the Cosmic Rod, the power set is still in play in the DCU. With Rebirth supposedly bringing legacy back to the DCU, it'll be interesting to see if references to the Knight family pop up.

TheFlow

Banned
The Alias omnibus reprint was more expensive than the initial printing as well.

fuck it is sold out on amazon and not shown on instock trades. I should of bought it when I had the chance.

Also goon library edition 1 is on instock trades for anyone who has been trying to find it.

I didn't bother looking it up. Tellll meeeeeeeee.

Batman and Superman sexing each other up?
News is coming out that an actress named Jena Malone, who WB is keeping a secret as to who she will be playing, won't be in the theatrical cut of BvS which means she's probably only in the R rated cut. Why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/49qhsv/spoiler_goddamnit_wb_marketing_department/

Edit:
A little extra violence, probably. Not much. Oh, and Jena Malone, but if you're talking about the
Barbra Gordon survey thing, that was debunked.

Oh? Who debunked it?

News is coming out that an actress named Jena Malone, who WB is keeping a secret as to who she will be playing, won't be in the theatrical cut of BvS which means she's probably only in the R rated cut. Why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/49qhsv/spoiler_goddamnit_wb_marketing_department/

Edit:

Oh? Who debunked it?

One of the guys in the DCEU thread.

More to the point, why would they be sending out a marketing survey asking if people want more of a character who's in a cut of the movie they haven't seen yet?

Just going to have to wait and see, some of these recent reprints coincided with Marvel TV or film like Alias did with Jessica Jones and the Frank Miller Daredevil/Elektra Omnibuses are releasing with the upcoming 2nd season of Daredevil.

There could be a good chance some Thor collections come out with the next film.

I hope there's an Immortal Iron Fist reprint to go with the tv show.

Boogiepop

I honestly think you got a bad batch of trades, because mine were perfectly fine.

Maybe so. Either way, it was depressing to see literally half of them fall to pieces after a single reading. Maybe I'll send an email to IST despite them having sat in my backlog forever after all... Doubt it'll help at this late point, but it also can't hurt, I guess.

Tizoc

Oi go get the Vixen miniseries that is on Comixology, it's really friggin' good.

Never read any Wonder Woman, how's the George Perez stuff hold up? I see 1-25 is on sale on Comixology right now. Never read any Wondy solo stuff.

Perez run is good.
In general this is the Wonder Woman runs you should read
1- George Perez
2- Greg Rucka
3- Gail Simone
4- Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe JMS
5- Nu 52 although it isn't really Wondy's show :V

Ann Nocenti's run on Catwoman is on sale on Comixology for anyone looking to finish out their collection. I already have them.

Eugh, only if you have no taste in actual good comic book writing.
Let us know when Ed Brubaker's run is on sale, it's about the only good Catwoman worth reading aside from that one mini that Tim Sale did.

Everyone, don't skip out on The Eternaut. Great comics. The verbose narration/dialogue fits so perfectly. Some great characters and the pacing is so good.
The allegory, while constantly present, never gets trite.

(And the HC is beautiful - https://www.instagram.com/p/-R_JY4naB5/)

Show me some pages please.

ElNarez

Banned
Vision is starting to lose me. The issue today felt like some weird holding pattern filler shit like what racked Fraction's Hawkeye run.

If I'm gonna spend money on your book every month, you sort of have to make sure enough shit happens in it that I couldn't skip every other issue and still be fine.

man if you really think nothing happened in this week's Vision I dunno man maybe read it again because you missed a whole hell of a lot

namely that it's the moment where everything comes crashing down

Top Bottom