• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

I was talking about this in the Hangouts last night. It wasn't really a commercial failure, but a logistical one.

Zombine and I were joking around about how if DC was doing all these crossovers with other publishers. Deathmate was originally a crossover for Valiant with Image. The key thing about Deathmate was that it was a failure for Valiant because of Image missing deadlines. Here's an excerpt of an interview with Bob Layton.

Anyway, these teaser has a very 90s feel to it, and it's reminiscent of the Death of Superman posters with the red S and black background. That last bit could just be a stylistic choice, but since Valiant already has a big in-universe event for the summer already, theres a reasonable expectation that this could be a crossover event.

Layton did have a point. It's really silly that the EIC of one company is chasing around another company's artists and fixing their shit. Who do you think they crossover with? Do they keep it internal or are they gonna go cross company (again)?

Layton did have a point. It's really silly that the EIC of one company is chasing around another company's artists and fixing their shit. Who do you think they crossover with? Do they keep it internal or are they gonna go cross company (again)?

I'm hoping for a cross-company thing. They already have 4001 AD as their big summer event; I don't think they'd plan overlapping events unless there was something special about this Deathmate one. They probably would have chosen a different name, too. But we probably won't know for sure for a few weeks.

Owzers

Half an hour until the hearthstone expansion something or other announcement video. So many gold legendaries for me to never get.

Read it month to month when it first came out, and I agree that it's worth checking out for the art alone. This was my first Ellis book, and I had never heard of Supreme before (apparently it's Liefeld related) and I was confused as hell the whole time, but at least it was intriguing and the ending at least wrapped things up nicely, if a little unevenly
Yeah while reading it I wished I was more familiar with the characters so it would be a bit easier to connect the dots.

The Supreme run by Alan Moore is 100% worth reading btw. Its essentially silver age Superman written by Moore when he's not trying to write like a very serious deconstructive author.

Btw Ellis has made some exceptional comics. I highly recommend reading Planetary.

Half an hour until the hearthstone expansion something or other announcement video. So many gold legendaries for me to never get.

Is that today? Aw shit son. I'm already broke.

I've barely played in ages, apart from the odd game with Kibler's Shadow Reno Priest (what a sweet deck). I need Standard soon.

Owzers

Is that today? Aw shit son. I'm already broke.

I've barely played in ages, apart from the odd game with Kibler's Shadow Reno Priest (what a sweet deck). I need Standard soon.

ugh, expansion and Standard isn't coming out till end of April/early May. I'm going to be reading comics.

Boogiepop

Maybe so. Either way, it was depressing to see literally half of them fall to pieces after a single reading. Maybe I'll send an email to IST despite them having sat in my backlog forever after all... Doubt it'll help at this late point, but it also can't hurt, I guess.
Just want to follow up on this (was in regards to the last few New Xmen trades falling apart). Got a response from IST saying they checked and found the same issue in their stock, and they've issued me a refund, despite the fact that I left them in my backlog for months and thus didn't notice this issue till super late.

So yeah, +1 for IST having awesome customer service.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
One of my favs of last year. Have you seen the witch?
Its not out here yet but it looks fucking amazing. I need to watch this.

Fun thing is, I got really annoyed last weekend because it seemed to me like Ive watched every interesting Horrormovie that is good avaiable here... Seems like I was wrong.

Have you some other recommentions for me? :3 You seem like you have a good taste, wasnt you the one who said I should watch House of the Devil last summer? :D

TheFlow

Banned
Its not out here yet but it looks fucking amazing. I need to watch this.

Fun thing is, I got really annoyed last weekend because it seemed to me like Ive watched every interesting Horrormovie that is good avaiable here... Seems like I was wrong.

Have you some other recommentions for me? :3 You seem like you have a good taste, wasnt you the one who said I should watch House of the Devil last summer? :D
Lol nah I joined in November. I rarely wach horror movies but I loved the witch. I can only recommend a few. Movie Gaf will take care of you

A girl walks home at night

The babadook

tim1138

Yup. All of those are amazing. I'd love to get his storm watch run digitally. It's a shame it's not there yet. Such a great cape team book

I dunno what the hell is going on with Stormwatch, they've had volume 2 up forever and volume 1 is nowhere in sight. I asked support about it on twitter once and they had no idea and just said they would pass my interest along.

-e-

Just asked them about this again because it bothers me that vol 2 has been up for like 2 years without vol 1. I too want it all digitally.

I dunno what the hell is going on with Stormwatch, they've had volume 2 up forever and volume 1 is nowhere in sight. I asked support about it on twitter once and they had no idea and just said they would pass my interest along.

Stormwatch... Stormwatch... Wasn't that one of the early New 52 books? Or are you talking about the older series?

tim1138

Stormwatch... Stormwatch... Wasn't that one of the early New 52 books? Or are you talking about the older series?

The old Wildstorm book. Ellis took it over in 96 with Tom Raney and then transitioned it into The Authority with Bryan Hitch in 99. It is top tier cape comics and definitely shouldn't be confused with the N52 botch job.

The old Wildstorm book. Ellis took it over in 96 with Tom Raney and then transitioned it into The Authority with Bryan Hitch in 99. It is top tier cape comics and definitely shouldn't be confused with the N52 botch job.
Yea I hated that storm watch was used in N52. Loved stormwatch. Ellis might not like cape comics too much but he has a great sense of style, pace and sophistication when he wants to. The Precursor to the widescreen style of Authority but how he transformed the 2D 90s windstorm characters into something so compelling was great. And of course It had some humor too

Fuji's secret
2523832-fuji_stormwatch.jpg

ElNarez

Banned

I'll defend the Cornell run on Stormwatch, which was mad decent, and had the super cool idea of tying itself to Demon Knights. Everything after that was hot garbage bullshit (ESPECIALLY the Starlin run) but, those first issues? That climax with the Eminence of Blades betraying everyone, and the whole idea of a chase for super weird items? That was great. Everyone dropped the fucking ball after that, but that book had promise, man.

Also, Martian Manhunter as The Wildcard, who's in Stormwatch for his own reasons? Fucking dope.

tim1138

Yea I hated that storm watch was used in N52. Loved stormwatch. Ellis might not like cape comics too much but he has a great sense of style, pace and sophistication when he wants to. The Precursor to the widescreen style of Authority but how he transformed the 2D 90s windstorm characters into something so compelling was great. And of course It had some humor too

Fuji's secret
2523832-fuji_stormwatch.jpg

Right? For someone who isn't all that interested in doing traditional cape stories he's really fucking good at it. He created some great characters during that run too, including my obvious favorite, Midnighter. Plus the fun little nods between Stormwatch/Authority and Planetary!

That Fuji scene makes me laugh every time I think of it.

I'll defend the Cornell run on Stormwatch, which was mad decent, and had the super cool idea of tying itself to Demon Knights. Everything after that was hot garbage bullshit (ESPECIALLY the Starlin run) but, those first issues? That climax with the Eminence of Blades betraying everyone, and the whole idea of a chase for super weird items? That was great. Everyone dropped the fucking ball after that, but that book had promise, man.

Also, Martian Manhunter as The Wildcard, who's in Stormwatch for his own reasons? Fucking dope.

You're absolutely right, I was a bit too harsh on the run as a whole. Cornell's six or seven issues were solid and you could tell he had interesting ideas for the book before bailing. Speaking of which, why did he jump off so quickly? Was it the editorial meddling that was so prevalent during the early days of the N52?

ElNarez

Banned
I just remembered the Demon Knights called themselves that because Ystin had a vision of the future and they heard "daemonites" wrong.

Demon Knights lasted longer than anyone thought it would. Longer than a lot of series do now.
Loved Demon Knights. And I agree. Once it got past 6 I considered every issue a blessing

Right? For someone who isn't all that interested in doing traditional cape stories he's really fucking good at it. He created some great characters during that run too, including my obvious favorite, Midnighter. Plus the fun little nods between Stormwatch/Authority and Planetary!

That Fuji scene makes me laugh every time I think of it.
Yea. It also has the most insane ending to a run ever. People think it's crazy that the killing joke is canon should read up on how The Ellis Stormwatch run ended. Took me years to get that last trade in print

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jason Aaron is so fucking good its ridiculous

Star Wars #7-8: great flashback story with Obi-Wan in Tattoine in issue #7, as we see him settle into his hermit life style while still looking after Luke. And speaking of Luke, issue #8 sees him and R2 go to Nar-Shadaa to try and get smuggled into Corruscant, and thats doesnt go well. Meanwhile Han and Leia are tangled with Han's bounty hunter "wife" and that also doesnt go well. I love this book.

Jason Aaron is so fucking good its ridiculous

Star Wars #7-8: great flashback story with Obi-Wan in Tattoine in issue #7, as we see him settle into his hermit life style while still looking after Luke. And speaking of Luke, issue #8 sees him and R2 go to Nar-Shadaa to try and get smuggled into Corruscant, and thats doesnt go well. Meanwhile Han and Leia are tangled with Han's bounty hunter "wife" and that also doesnt go well. I love this book.

Yeah, I was surprised by how good that Obi-Wan issue was. I'm usually bored to death by Original Trilogy retread material, but this one was pretty satisfying.

tim1138

Loved Demon Knights. And I agree. Once it got past 6 I considered every issue a blessing

Yea. It also has the most insane ending to a run ever. People think it's crazy that the killing joke is canon should read up on how The Ellis Stormwatch run ended. Took me years to get that last trade in print

The end of Stormwatch was completely bonkers. I just read through all that stuff again last year around this time in anticipation of Midnighter, but man, now I really wanna go through it all again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Silk #6-7: Wonderful book continues to be wonderful. Silk vs Black Cat round 2 in issue 6 as Felicia actually saves Silk and offers her a job. Amazing art by Stacey Lee. Issue #7 is the Incursion tie in, and its actually quite good as Jonah (man JJ is actually a decent human being in Silk huh?) tracks down Cindy's brother and she rushes to see if its him before the world ends, stopping to save everyone she can along the way because shes a hero. Good stuff. Not so good art tho since Lee didnt do it. Cant wait for the new book, pls dont cancel it Marvel, its auch a great surprise.

Magneto #21: Thus ends probably one of the greatest solo X-Men runs ive ever read, as Magneto fails spectaculary at preventing the incursion while reminiscing about his various horrible deeds over the years. Cullen Bunn did a terrific job with this book throughout, and I think Magneto has reached that Emma Frost point where I cant see him going back to being a villain.

Messi

Silk #6-7: Wonderful book continues to be wonderful. Silk vs Black Cat round 2 in issue 6 as Felicia actually saves Silk and offers her a job. Amazing art by Stacey Lee. Issue #7 is the Incursion tie in, and its actually quite good as Jonah (man JJ is actually a decent human being in Silk huh?) tracks down Cindy's brother and she rushes to see if its him before the world ends, stopping to save everyone she can along the way because shes a hero. Good stuff. Not so good art tho since Lee didnt do it. Cant wait for the new book, pls dont cancel it Marvel, its auch a great surprise.

Magneto #21: Thus ends probably one of the greatest solo X-Men runs ive ever read, as Magneto fails spectaculary at preventing the incursion while reminiscing about his various horrible deeds over the years. Cullen Bunn did a terrific job with this book throughout, and I think Magneto has reached that Emma Frost point where I cant see him going back to being a villain.

Hope you enjoyed that Silk art...because oh boy do I have news for you.

Owzers

I can't believe people here can read comics and act like everything is fine when Trump was bullied out of having his rally today. Come on guys, have some restraint.

Top Bottom