• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Avixph

I've already asked this in the "Captain America: Civil War - Final Trailer" thread, I know it's early but have any of you peeps bought your tickets for Captain America: Civil War yet? As soon as the tickets went up for sale I bought opening day tickets for the 4:30 PM showing at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square theater.

Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine

Wow this...this story is absolutely...ummmm....So you know how Jason Aaron is a really good writer? And how Adam Kubert is a good artist? You know those things, right? Well this story...is fucking AMAZING.

I said goddamn. This story is not only one of the most balls-to-the-walls wacky-ass stories I've ever read, but it's a fantastic character story that heavily develops the characters of Logan and Peter. I mean, it starts out with them in the past hanging out with cave people. Peter's crazy and in a cave, carving idols of a woman and collecting prehistoric bugs. Logan is the leader of a group called the "small folk." Then the meteor hits and they get sent to the future where the small folk rule, Doom becomes a planet, other insane bullshit. There's a lot of ridiculousness in a single story, and you'd never think that would come from a Spidey and Wolvie story. You'd think a tale involving these characters would be something a bit more street level, but nope it's a wack-ass time-travel story instead. Oh, and the main villains are...well, they fit the tone perfectly, let's say that
they're also god-tier

I honestly don't want to go too much into detail, since the plot is so bonkers you'd have to read it for yourselves. From a character development standpoint, seeing Logan and Peter clash and also work together is great. Quite honestly, I think these guys are a top five superhero buddy team. Logan is the hardass who makes the right calls, even to go so far as to be brutal and sacrificial whereas Peter's the softy and the heart of the pair. Logan's the muscle, and Peter's the brains. Logan's stoic, Peter's lighthearted. The two come together and compliment each other well, but they also have a lot in common with how much weight they have on their shoulders. They both feel like they're carrying the world, and though they clash, they come together to help each other out and be better friends. Yet, they still have a somewhat silent respect for each other. That final bit after they come back to the present...it's a beautiful, if sad, moment.

All in all, I can only say that this is a really fun story that also serves to be both a great Spider-Man story and a great Wolverine story. Fans of both characters, as well as people looking for a super fun, over-the-top superhero story should check this out.

asmw5.jpg

Boogiepop

Okay, finished Whedon's Astonishing X-men, and... it was an interesting one. I have it in the two Ultimate Collections, and for the whole of the first one, it totally had me 100%, great stuff and I felt like it was the type of thing that would end up high up there in terms of runs I really enjoy. Unfortunately... it kind of dips in the back half. The first half is still pretty solid if a bit tricky to follow, but it works well enough. But then everything ends with the Breakworld stuff, which is... honestly kind of eh. Something about the setting and villains just didn't really do anything for me. I don't know, maybe it's because the run is at its best by playing off of and pulling from the past? Either way, that last arc just felt kind of so-so. Oh, and is there an actual explanation for
the other superheroes all going into a brain-dead trance and thinking they stopped the bullet? Really felt like it was missing a line of "oh my god, the bullet has a psychic attack system" or some crap, because far as I can tell it's a thing that happened with zero explanation, which is bizarre. Maybe I was sleepy and missed something, though?

Also, is there a decent ending to the Danger arc anywhere? Felt like that was meant to be a key plot point and it's literally left hanging at the end of the run completely. I know she somehow shifts to being an X-man at some point, but it really was weird for that to not come together in this run at all.

Messi

Jamie McKelvie posted his 80's redesign of Rogue that he did as a warmup. She is desperately in need of a redesign and i'd love something like this. McKelvie is always so good at this stuff.

CdXDmtsWoAAKENs.jpg

shingi70

Banned
I've already asked this in the "Captain America: Civil War - Final Trailer" thread, I know it's early but have any of you peeps bought your tickets for Captain America: Civil War yet? As soon as the tickets went up for sale I bought opening day tickets for the 4:30 PM showing at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square theater.

Still deciding if I want to see it as a date with my girl or go with a group of our friends.

Not yet. Probably will next week.

Doesn't he quit like halfway through issue 1? lol

Wait, what? So that means Peter isn't on any Avengers team? Ah here, Marvel.

Messi

Who's the guy in the yellow?

Human Torch

You guys better do it soon or else you won't find any seats for opening weekend.

Movies don't sell out in Ireland.

Plus I don't like seeing these movies in packed cinemas. I seen Deadpool last week in a cinema with 3 other people in the place, it was glorious. I shall do the same for this and BvS. I will suffer a crowd for Suicide Squad and Harley.

Messi

Ha! I live in rural Ireland, man. I think I'll be alright. I will be surprised if anyone else is there, since I'll be going in the morning.

Movies barely even sell out in Ireland. friends walked in on day one and got tickets for Star Wars 30 mins before the show. I did the same for Age of Ultron.

Owzers

Messi your statue has a small black mark on the front of the bat above the bat symbol, paint over it and tell me what color you used so I can paint over mine which is worse.

Also I'm glad you didn't break her leg off getting the foot peg in.

Btw this statue is 103/5200 . How did I get a low number if they were so hard to get replaced DCBS?

Maybe DC had to dig into their personal stash to replace all the broken ones.

THE Zee Writer, also he married his own Zatanna, DC, GIVE THIS MAN A NEW SERIES!

Elaborate pls.

Jamie McKelvie posted his 80's redesign of Rogue that he did as a warmup.

Here is a cute picture of Spider-Woman posing with a traitor as she readies her knife for backstabbing:

Messi

Maybe DC had to dig into their personal stash to replace all the broken ones.

Elaborate pls.

Here is a cute picture of Spider-Woman posing with a traitor as she readies her knife for backstabbing:

Trusting Iron Man to be on the right side of things is your first mistake.

Yeaaa-no. I liked Brubaker's Cap a lot, and Cap is rarely the weakest link in a story. However, there are more interesting characters in Brubaker's story.

I was being subjective. Captain America is Marvel's Superman in that I find them both boring as shit. Sorry, Lunchpod. That's just how I feel.

VanWinkle

So I ended up liking Bombshells Vol 1 but not as much as I thought I would. The plot was too stagnant for being 200 pages long, and the art changed too often, some of which I enjoyed and some not so much. It wasn't until right at the end that I felt excited for what was happening.

Still, it was pretty good.

Top Bottom