• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Messi

Why do you have a Tron avatar when they're never going to make another Tron movie?

Also, I don't HATE WicDiv. I just had issues with some of their narrative decisions, as did you if I recall. And it's Tula Lotay art.

Oh I know who's art it is. I also have the original cover as a print. Its nice. I guess I thought you felt stronger about it than you did.

I have a Tron avatar because I am an Olivia and Quorra fan. Not getting more tron wont change that. Its prob for the best too. They didn't realize Quorra would be as likable as she was and in a sequel they would likely screw it up.

I believe Regent has made a small appearance post secret wars in
Amazing Spider-Man.
If my memory isn't failing. I remember seeing him but I may read too many Marvel comics to remember which one.

Messi

in the comcis-gaf multiverse this is probably a thing.

LrqYC.gif

Just got back from watching Zootopia. It was hilarious.

Haha. Year 100 was so awesome. Beautiful art, too.

Still hate the way Pope draws faces, though. I don't think they're bad at all, but I just can't stand it.

:D

I actually love how he draws faces. So emotive.

Made it to the 400-issue mark. Well in advance of where I thought I'd be.

At this point I'll pretty much read anything Dysart's involved in (going to finally get round to that first volume of Unknown Soldier and beyond). Same goes for Van Lente (Action Philosophers is on the way) who I hope is back on a title in the Anni-Padda corner of the Valiant universe soon. They're my pick of the writers involved. Honourable mention for Kindt on Ninjak which I'm enjoying with its mashup of James Bond and Metal Gear. It's fun to see him go all out with that ridiculous tech.

Way ahead of your target. I am keeping reasonable pace, at about 250.

Unknown Soldier is brilliant, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

I bought Action Philosophers too but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I picked it up after reading Van Lente's Comic Book History of Comics. I would definitely recommend that if you haven't read it yet.

I can change it if you want

Pope is that dude. That comic is awesome.

Dunno if you read Solo, but he did an issue of that. One story was about Robin and it was dope.

Only other Pope books I've read are Battling Boy and Escapo. The books I am reading also has Solo 3, Gotham Knights #3 and Batman Chronicles #11. So I think I'll get to read all of his Batman work.

Trickster

Anyone have thoughts on the 2007 run of Avengers The Initiative? Thinking of reading it, but can't be bothered if the consensus is that it's less than good

Anyone have thoughts on the 2007 run of Avengers The Initiative? Thinking of reading it, but can't be bothered if the consensus is that it's less than good

Yeah, I liked it quite a bit, though most of the characters that series focused on have become pretty irrelevant since. Fun book, though.

Avengers Academy was better IMO.

Hm. Maybe. I think I have fonder memories of Initiative, though. I got bored of Academy about 3/4 through the series.

DCBS came today, probably the least amount of books I've ever received from them. 10 books from two weeks of releases.

Deadly Class #19 - This books just keeps getting better and better, this series is going to need a reread soon. Two more issues til the "Die For Me" arc is over and I keep wondering
who could they possibly kill off. I'd bet on Billy for now.

Amazing Spider-Man #9 - Just some crazy Spider-Man stuff happening, I'm starting to realize Spidey really shines when he's playing off another character, which leads me too...

Spider-Man/Deadpool #3 - This is some good shit, they even bring back Styx and Stone with an extreme makeover for a little 2v2. Joe Kelly was born to write these characters.

Avengers Academy was better IMO.
I agree. But the initiative was a book I enjoyed while it was coming out. But with all young teen books from the big 2 you have to be prepared for it to end awkwardly and to only then see them sporadically scattered out, usually to be either forgotten or killed in some cheap manner.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Inferno #3-4: yay this fun. One of my favorite tie-ins continues to be a blast as Darkchylde kicks some X-Men ass, Nightcrawler is a demon dragon thing, Strange and some Thors show up to make Illyana the new baron because Scott fucked up (points for tying it to the overall battleworld narrative for that), kid cable still cracks me up, Maddie is still a fun bitch and the cherry on top, Sinister shows up to make everything better as he usually does. Really like this one.

Also Sinister looks bawler as shit with a mustache. This one actually made me want to go read the original Inferno, I should look which issues of which books that was.

Trickster

Okay so quickly read the first 3 issues of the Avengers the Initiative now. And is it a trend throughout the series that the teachers/staff are
some seriously shady and douchy people? Two issues and they've already covered up a death that came from their own clear incompetence, to having a freaking evil ex nazi doctor wanting to do clearly evil shit with the corpse of said dead person. And in the third issue warmachine is all supervillainy about eliminating spider-man and replacing him with their own fake spider-men
. Definitely not what I expected. Probably not for me if this will be the trend in the series.

Dunno if spoilers are needed in this thread.

Okay so quickly read the first 3 issues of the Avengers the Initiative now. And is it a trend throughout the series that the teachers/staff are
some seriously shady and douchy people? Two issues and they've already covered up a death that came from their own clear incompetence, to having a freaking evil ex nazi doctor wanting to do clearly evil shit with the corpse of said dead person. And in the third issue warmachine is all supervillainy about eliminating spider-man and replacing him with their own fake spider-men
. Definitely not what I expected. Probably not for me if this will be the trend in the series.

Dunno if spoilers are needed in this thread.

You just reminded me how Spider-Man beat down a poor girl by telling her she was a dime store version of the Lizard and if she messes up the government will take away her powers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Runaways #2-3: yoooooooo I loved these issues. Much like Renew Your Vows, the first issue didnt do much for me when I read it some months ago but these 2 were awesome. The gang finds out what the tests they run involve so they run awat from institute (hence the title) and pop up on various battleworld domains (again, points for showing that its part of the bigger picture) until Bucky and his gang catch up to them. Super fun, amazing art, funny writing, really liked this, wish it was 5 issues like other tie-ins (it said to be concluded at the end of #3 so I'm assuming #4 is the last). Great stuff.

Giant-size Little Marvel AvX #3: its more goofy Skottie Young goodness as the lil' x-men and the lil' avengers do their hard pitches on the twins to join their respective teams. If you dont like this your soul is dead.

You have to realize, this was directly following Civil War. So at this point everyone was required to register their identities and power sets with the government, and the ones that refused were considered outlaws.

Runaways #2-3: yoooooooo I loved these issues. Much like Renew Your Vows, the first issue didnt do much for me when I read it some months ago but these 2 were awesome. The gang finds out what the tests they run involve so they run awat from institute (hence the title) and pop up on various battleworld domains (again, points for showing that its part of the bigger picture) until Bucky and his gang catch up to them. Super fun, amazing art, funny writing, really liked this, wish it was 5 issues like other tie-ins (it said to be concluded at the end of #3 so I'm assuming #4 is the last). Great stuff.

Giant-size Little Marvel AvX #3: its more goofy Skottie Young goodness as the lil' x-men and the lil' avengers do their hard pitches on the twins to join their respective teams. If you dont like this your soul is dead.
Agreed on runaways. One of the stronger SW series for me.

But Maaaan I'm so ready for SW tie ins to end. One more month left right?

Rhaknar

Agreed on runaways. One of the stronger SW series for me.

But Maaaan I'm so ready for SW tie ins to end. One more month left right?

There's some #5s up now so cant be long, probably about a month yeah

Edit: Secret Wars Secret Love #1 - this felt like the "jump the shark" moment when it comes to unnecessary tie-ins but it has an awesome Danny / Misty short story with amazing art and that page where he's doing her hair that you guys keep posting so I guess ill let it slide.

Misty-Danny-Doing-hair.png

Trickster

You have to realize, this was directly following Civil War. So at this point everyone was required to register their identities and power sets with the government, and the ones that refused were considered outlaws.

Haven't read Civil War, but I don't see how that would explain that they just cover up student deaths, keep it secret from fellow "teachers", all the while keeping evil ex nazi doctors around and don't immediately kick him to the curb when he goes all "ooh ya, i vant to perform zum evil experiment on zis fine specimen, ya?"

Haven't read Civil War, but I don't see how that would explain that they just cover up student deaths, keep it secret from fellow "teachers", all the while keeping evil ex nazi doctors around and don't immediately kick him to the curb when he goes all "ooh ya, i vant to perform zum evil experiment on zis fine specimen, ya?"
It was part of giving the book some intrigue and to give it a hook besides teen cape characters nobody has heard. It's also the one book that played out the Gov registration deal and it was shady as hell how it was implemented. But given how I was team cap during that stupid event, it amused me. GG Tony and Reed

Well, I was speaking more in terms of what you mentioned of their attitude toward Spider-Man. In that political climate, Spider-Man was breaking the law. As for the other stuff, all I can say is - comics.

Trickster

Well, I was speaking more in terms of what you mentioned of their attitude toward Spider-Man. In that political climate, Spider-Man was breaking the law. As for the other stuff, all I can say is - comics.

Yeah I understood that :p

Still, registration act seems shady as fuck to me, and the logic of it is really fucked up.

List:
Black Canary #9
Power Man and Iron Fist #2

Behind on Low so I figure I should actually read it instead of buying more. Need to get the Nameless hardcover too, but I might wait till Wonder Woman Earth One next month to order it.

Top Bottom