• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Card Boy

Banned
Really enjoying Tales to Astonish started reading it purely for Ant Man/Giant Man. I see it also turns into a Hulk series. Some of those one shot stories are great, reminds me of those Night Springs/The Twilight Zone stuff.

list:

Black Canary #9
3 Devils #1
The Doorman #1
Steven Universe & the Crystal Gems #1 (literally just found out about this?)

Stopped picking up All New Inhumans - it's a fine, competent book but not good enough that i gotta keep up with it monthly

Stopped picking up All New Inhumans - it's a fine, competent book but not good enough that i gotta keep up with it monthly

I'm still enjoying it, but I can certainly understand wanting to drop it. I still have a couple books I want to check out, including Spider-Woman and Wolverine. I'll probably trade-wait the latter, since they have six issues out at this point, and I'm not going to buy that many issues at $3.99 a pop.

mreddie

There's some #5s up now so cant be long, probably about a month yeah

Edit: Secret Wars Secret Love #1 - this felt like the "jump the shark" moment when it comes to unnecessary tie-ins but it has an awesome Danny / Misty short story with amazing art and that page where he's doing her hair that you guys keep posting so I guess ill let it slide.

You forgot the best story.

eb767027e1fac16303d4924d0dd70934.jpg

This reminded me of that Greg Pak western comic feat. a chinaman which has apparently moved from last noveember to this august

completely forgot about that, it sounded real cool

and remembering that comic reminded me that i should catch up on Black Jack Ketchum, which had a solid first issue

Yeah I understood that :p

Still, registration act seems shady as fuck to me, and the logic of it is really fucked up.

If you're feeling Initiative isn't for you, Avengers Academy is basically the same thing, but more lighthearted.

If you're looking for other books you might like, I would highly suggest Secret Warriors.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hail Hydra #1-3: yo this was so dope. Nomad goes in a Hydra controlled world after he enters the infinite elevator in All New Cap (so Nomad actually survived the incursion) and Remender does a hell of a job of making this a shitty place. Really enjoyed this and the fact that it actually continues directly from All New Cap was a nice touch.

I need to read whatever run it was when Cap raises Nomad in Dimension Z

I think I'm buying the division. Trying to decide ps4 or PC. I'm leaning towards ps4 at the moment. Has anyone gone PC? GMG and Amazon prime have the uplay version on sale. But it's the uplay Version...

I think I'm buying the division. Trying to decide ps4 or PC. I'm leaning towards ps4 at the moment. Has anyone gone PC? GMG and Amazon prime have the uplay version on sale. But it's the uplay Version...

I really have no interest in the MMO-style FPS/3PS games that seem to be becoming a trend. That said, I've heard that it does Destiny better than Destiny.

I really have no interest in the MMO-style FPS/3PS games that seem to be becoming a trend. That said, I've heard that it does Destiny better than Destiny.
I LOVE the feel of the gunplay in Destiny but it does need work. And I think having competition in this new "genre" will help. I've always felt destiny 2 is when things really get good. Drop the last gen consoles, add PC and go all out in bigger worlds, more content, add more story, etc.

Hail Hydra #1-3: yo this was so dope. Nomad goes in a Hydra controlled world after he enters the infinite elevator in All New Cap (so Nomad actually survived the incursion) and Remender does a hell of a job of making this a shitty place. Really enjoyed this and the fact that it actually continues directly from All New Cap was a nice touch.

I need to read whatever run it was when Cap raises Nomad in Dimension Z
It's a good run of cap. In MU it starts with the Captain America (2012-Present)

Okay, finished Whedon's Astonishing X-men, and... it was an interesting one. I have it in the two Ultimate Collections, and for the whole of the first one, it totally had me 100%, great stuff and I felt like it was the type of thing that would end up high up there in terms of runs I really enjoy. Unfortunately... it kind of dips in the back half. The first half is still pretty solid if a bit tricky to follow, but it works well enough. But then everything ends with the Breakworld stuff, which is... honestly kind of eh. Something about the setting and villains just didn't really do anything for me. I don't know, maybe it's because the run is at its best by playing off of and pulling from the past? Either way, that last arc just felt kind of so-so. Oh, and is there an actual explanation for
the other superheroes all going into a brain-dead trance and thinking they stopped the bullet? Really felt like it was missing a line of "oh my god, the bullet has a psychic attack system" or some crap, because far as I can tell it's a thing that happened with zero explanation, which is bizarre. Maybe I was sleepy and missed something, though?

Also, is there a decent ending to the Danger arc anywhere? Felt like that was meant to be a key plot point and it's literally left hanging at the end of the run completely. I know she somehow shifts to being an X-man at some point, but it really was weird for that to not come together in this run at all.
The
bullet was enchanted since, if I recall, the Breakworld peeps had magic of some kind. It wasn't well explained, and I agree the latter half wasn't as strong, but the final attack on Breakworld and Kitty's sacrifice were super hype and emotional for me.
I would say the arc following Danger is the highlight of the run by far. I can understand your issues with it, but for me personally, it's one of the best X-book runs I've read.

Also, Danger's arc is pretty much a final "fuck you" to Xavier -- since he never shows up again -- that pretty much sets Danger up to be used as a plot device for the rest of the run. I have no idea how she's used in future X-books. I finally picked up Ellis' Astonishing run, so we'll see how that goes (fuck Bianchi's art...god this'll be rough).
You are a gentleman and a scholar. This series affirmed my longstanding love for Wolverine and Spider-Man.

It is a damn shame that they are both gone. Marvel should bring them back soon :(
They could do a Laura and Miles team-up, especially since they both already know each other.
anyone reading Power Man & Iron Fist? Looks cool
I loved the first issue. It's like a Disney afternoon cartoon.
But I like them both and I'm prejudiced as fuck against Mahvel.

Explain that, science.
Your favorite character has effectively been rendered fan fiction, so it evens out.
When is DC gonna release some Kyle Rayner trades? It's ridiculous...
I know, right?

I LOVE the feel of the gunplay in Destiny but it does need work. And I think having competition in this new "genre" will help. I've always felt destiny 2 is when things really get good. Drop the last gen consoles, add PC and go all out in bigger worlds, more content, add more story, etc.

I really like the setting of the Division, but I don't like being forced to play online, which is what kept me from buying it.

Mindwipe

Got my copy of MTMTE #50 signed by James Roberts last night. He's a cool guy. Big turnout for the signing to, did a few hours of q&a about the book too.

arkon

Way ahead of your target. I am keeping reasonable pace, at about 250.

Unknown Soldier is brilliant, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

I bought Action Philosophers too but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I picked it up after reading Van Lente's Comic Book History of Comics. I would definitely recommend that if you haven't read it yet.

Cool. I'll make a note of that. Thanks.
--

This reminded me of that Greg Pak western comic feat. a chinaman which has apparently moved from last noveember to this august

Kingsway West

gabbo

list:

Black Canary #9
3 Devils #1
The Doorman #1
Steven Universe & the Crystal Gems #1 (literally just found out about this?)

Black Canary worth reading through? Would pick up her TPB (staying away from single issues), since the recent recommendation of issues #1 ended up being a good one. Hoping it stays at the same level.

BKatastrophe, nobody likes u.

LIST FU
Superman: American Alien #5
Superman #50
Superman/Wonder Woman #27 (maybe, if I find out it's plot-critical again)
Robin, Son of Batman #10
Martian Manhunter #10
Doctor Fate #10
Black Canary #9
Batman & Robin Eternal #24

Black Canary worth reading through? Would pick up her TPB (staying away from single issues), since the recent recommendation of issues #1 ended up being a good one. Hoping it stays at the same level.

Yeah, it's pretty good. There's a bit too much going on plotwise, and it's got something of a pacing problem. But overall it's solid comics, and the art is not to be missed.

Messi

Yep Black Canary is good. Art is great.

Finished up a few trades.

Batman Year 100 Deluxe: The ending for Year 100 story felt a bit rushed but I still loved it overall. The Solo 3 Robin story was great!

Squirrel Girl tpb 1: I really love the "twitter-feed" recaps. And I find it hilarious that only Tony Stark has a verified account.

Miracleman Book 1: Wow, this was really good! Always good to see such dense storytelling. Especially loved the Warpsmiths stories at the end, hopefully I get to see more of them as the stories progress.

And speaking about Marvel trade pricing, wow - Miracleman Book 1 is not oversized, has about 5 issues of material and is $30!

A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong #1
Deadpool and the Mercs for Money #2
Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor #5 of 5
Ghostbusters Deviations One-Shot
International Iron Man #1
Low #12
Rat Queens #15 (I'm ready to cry!)
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy #4 of 5
The Transformers #51
Transformers Deviations One-Shot
Web Warriors #5
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #5

I'm back in the game, motherfuckers! I'm also gonna catch up to stuff I missed, but slowly.

Owzers

Roadblock was kinda good/okay/not terrible actually, though some matches were weird (Brock/Wyatt family that was really only Harper)

Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania though, can't beat that.

Prison School volume 2
This series gets increasingly one note. This series lost its subversion before the first volume ended. You can't cram in this many 'ironic' panty shots and pretend that your satire is authentic. It's got some nice art and the author really knows how to keep the right amount of tension but its not really enough to get me to continue to buy the series.

Miracleman Book 1: Wow, this was really good! Always good to see such dense storytelling. Especially loved the Warpsmiths stories at the end, hopefully I get to see more of them as the stories progress.

And speaking about Marvel trade pricing, wow - Miracleman Book 1 is not oversized, has about 5 issues of material and is $30!
Miracleman is amazing. Wait until you get to volume 3. One of my all time fave series. The price for it is a bit justified. They do have to recoup whatever legal costs they had to acquire the rights from all involved

Messi

Messi list!

Batman and Robin Eternal #24
Black Canary #8
Clean Room #6
Legends of Tomorrow #1
Lucifer #4
Martian Manhunter #10
Poison Ivy #3
Robin Son of Batman #10
Superman American Alien #5

Huck #5
Low #12
Injection #8
Monstress #4
Rat Queens #15

Jonesy #2
Lumberjanes #24
Red Sonja #3

All-New Inhumans #5
All-New X-Men #6
Ant Man #6
Captain Marvel #3
Deadpool and the Mercs for Money #2
Extraordinary X-Men #8
International Iron-Man #1
Powerman and Iron Fist #2
Scarlett Witch #4
Silk #6
Spider Woman #5
Squadron Supreme #5
Star Lord #5
Uncanny Inhumans #6
Web Warriors #5
--

Batman HC Vol 8
Gotham Academy Vol 2
Mad Love colouring book
Phonogram Vol 3
Beauty Vol 1
TMNT HC Vol 2

200w.gif

Batman Year 100 Deluxe: The ending for Year 100 story felt a bit rushed but I still loved it overall. The Solo 3 Robin story was great!

Squirrel Girl tpb 1: I really love the "twitter-feed" recaps. And I find it hilarious that only Tony Stark has a verified account.

Yea miracleman is good. I tracked it down years ago when I thought there was no hope of reprinting. My favorite out of the whole series is when Gaiman took over. And yea it's over priced. Marvel I think is trying to offset their legal fees with that one

Messi list!

Lucifer #4
200w.gif

Messi, how's Lucifer? What direction are they taking it in?

Prison School Miracleman is amazing. Wait until you get to volume 3. One of my all time fave series. The price for it is a bit justified. They do have to recoup whatever legal costs they had to acquire the rights from all involved

Yea miracleman is good. I tracked it down years ago when I thought there was no hope of reprinting. My favorite out of the whole series is when Gaiman took over. And yea it's over priced. Marvel I think is trying to offset their legal fees with that one

I guess it is a little bit understandable. They should at least give us some oversized versions.

shingi70

Banned
List:

Black Canary #9
Doctor Fate #10
Legends of Tomorrow #1
Superman #50
Superman/Wonder Woman #27

Is it me or does Civil War seem like a bigger deal then Age of Ultron was?

Messi

Messi, how's Lucifer? What direction are they taking it in?

I guess it is a little bit understandable. They should at least give us some oversized versions.

It's alright. I am buying it due to Lee Garbetts art. Tbh I would drop it without his art. It's just not my kind of book. I think.

I see a TP of Civil War Runaways and Young Avengers is coming out next week. How is that.

Is there a post SW Magneto book? I just read the 2014-2015 book all the way through on MU, and thought it was pretty good. Did his book return, or is he just in one of the new X books?

Messi

Is there a post SW Magneto book? I just read the 2014-2015 book all the way through on MU, and thought it was pretty good. Did his book return, or is he just in one of the new X books?

He is the leader in Uncanny X-Men. His book is gone. The artist on Magneto is on the amazing Vision book.

Top Bottom