• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

VanWinkle

I'm thinking about getting the first Invincible OHC. I don't typically read much Image stuff, sincd they're normally filled with too much mature content for my tastes. I've heard this is OCCASIONALLY very violent but it's not bad overall. I can deal with some occasional gratuitous violence if it's as good as people say.

I'm thinking about getting the first Invincible OHC. I don't typically read much Image stuff, sincd they're normally filled with too much mature content for my tastes. I've heard this is OCCASIONALLY very violent but it's not bad overall. I can deal with some occasional gratuitous violence if it's as good as people say.
Eh I'd say it gets pretty violent more than occasionally. Love the series but just wanted to let you know

frye

If you google image search the word 'invincible' then you'll get a sense of what 'occasional gratuitous violence' means for this comic.

I liked it when it was Basically Dragonball Z, but by the time it gets to the big war in the 60s and 70s it's like naah, this a pretty goddamn dumb comic book

It depends on your meaning of occasional.

Once Ryan Ottley becomes the defacto artist things can get gruesome

Yep Black Canary is good. Art is great.

Art is good, story not so much.

Miracle Man is fucking expensive.

You only would have to buy four hardcovers, as the upcoming Silver Age arc has been cancelled for the time being. It will supposedly be re-solicited at some point, but no one knows when that could be.

Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania though, can't beat that.

oh, Seth Rollins did last year!

Prison School volume 2
This series gets increasingly one note. This series lost its subversion before the first volume ended. You can't cram in this many 'ironic' panty shots and pretend that your satire is authentic. It's got some nice art and the author really knows how to keep the right amount of tension but its not really enough to get me to continue to buy the series

Ed, you can't judge manga on the same scale you use for regular comics. There's a definite difference in the audience, and you're usually going to have a bit of a life and hometown showcase in most anything you pick up. I can probably count the number of Manga I've read where that wasn't the case on one hand.

Messi list!
Mad Love colouring book

oh my God, they've got Messi buying the coloring books now. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

There's violence, sure. I mean, when it happens, it's usually pretty gruesome in terms of content. You're going to see heads crushed, organs torn out, one guy uppercutted so hard his brain pops out, etc. etc. But I swear to you, Ryan Ottley (the artist for a good portion of the 120+ issues) is probably the best god damn artist you've never heard of. I mean, look at this:

invincible_tpb_14_cover_by_wya-d39age8.jpg

This is a cover, but his interior work is just as stellar (which is why the current release schedule is so slow). But yeah, there's violence here and there, and it might be too much if you're sensitive to it. With that said, Invincible is probably the best standalone superhero book I've ever read.

I wouldn't describe Invincibles violence as occasional

It's not constant, but it's there and something to be aware of.

I would say that in terms of violence, it's just a notch above something like Uncanny X-Force or some Valiant books. It doesn't go too far off the deep end with its M rating.

It's also goddamn amazing and you should definitely read it.

I found very little wrong with the writing in Black Canary. It's perfectly readable and is really good in spots.

I know, Messi. And that's fine. But it felt like it was pretty routine and I lost interest in it. Doesn't mean it's a bad book, just not for me.

---------------------

So I started reading Darkseid War, and I'm really liking it. Only thing I'm not sure of (since I don't read a lot of the mainline DC books), is the identity of the Green Lantern lady with the mark over her eye?

I would say that in terms of violence, it's just a notch above something like Uncanny X-Force or some Valiant books. It doesn't go too far off the deep end with its M rating.

I would have to disagree. I mean, the violence isn't anything I can't handle, but I can handle a lot. When you have organs being fucking ripped out of people while they're still alive, it's a bit too much for some people to handle. And let's not forget that one issue with the rape (it was female on male, which is seemingly more uncommon, but I don't think that lessens the severity of what was depicted).

I found very little wrong with the writing in Black Canary. It's perfectly readable and is really good in spots.

I agree with both of those, but at the same time the pacing is wacky. I'm okay with most of the writing, the characters are fun, the plot(s) in the abstract are good, but there's just so much stuff going on each issue. Plus sometimes issue-to-issue transitions are more abrupt than they should be; I had to go looking to make sure I didn't miss an issue between 8 and 9.

Still, like I said, overall the writing is good, and the art is to die for.

Messi

I agree with both of those, but at the same time the pacing is wacky. I'm okay with most of the writing, the characters are fun, the plot(s) in the abstract are good, but there's just so much stuff going on each issue. Plus sometimes issue-to-issue transitions are more abrupt than they should be; I had to go looking to make sure I didn't miss an issue between 8 and 9.

Still, like I said, overall the writing is good, and the art is to die for.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I would have to disagree. I mean, the violence isn't anything I can't handle, but I can handle a lot. When you have organs being fucking ripped out of people while they're still alive, it's a bit too much for some people to handle. And let's not forget that one issue with the rape (it was female on male, which is seemingly more uncommon, but I don't think that lessens the severity of what was depicted).

I was going to add an edit in that judging from the previous responses, my gauge of violence may be a bit skewed. I also hadn't read as far as the rape, so uh thanks for that. :/

Anyway, to the above, Identity Crisis had an instance of that, too. I would not consider that a particularly gruesome comic. It depends on how far they took it.

Anyway, to the above, Identity Crisis had an instance of that, too. I would not consider that a particularly gruesome comic. It depends on how far they took it.

It wasn't any more graphic than you'd expect from a comic, but it was....something. Honestly, it was kind of shocking to even see that in a comic.

I think what makes Invincible's violence stand out are the expressions. No other comic book artist that I can immediately think of draws the characters in so much pain.

I think what makes Invincible's violence stand out are the expressions. No other comic book artist that I can immediately think of draws the characters in so much pain.

I don't think it's just the expressions of characters in pain, Ottley is great at drawing expressions, period. He's much better at it than a lot of artists, and his style lends itself to more detailed expressions by design.

Zombine

Banned
Invincible is the shit. One of the best comics I buy and actually read.

I don't think I told you guys about the time I almost threw out some free art he signed and sent to me because I didn't feel it in the box with what I ordered. Lol.

tim1138

Just a heads up for the Black Canary talk, this month's issue is a one off written by Matthew Rosenberg (We Can Never Go Home) and art by Moritat.

My realistic Rebirth creative team wants: Tom King/Barnaby Bagenda on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, a competent writer not named Robert Venditti on Flash, Steve Orlando/Scott Kolins on Nightwing, and Steve Orlando/ACO on Justice League, Marguerite Bennett on Wonder Woman.

Hey, Tim - I started reading Darkseid War. Can you tell me who that Green Lantern lady is with the mark over her eye. I don't read a lot of mainline DC books, so I don't know who she is.

Invincible is the shit. One of the best comics I buy and actually read.

I don't think I told you guys about the time I almost threw out some free art he signed and sent to me because I didn't feel it in the box with what I ordered. Lol.

Ha ha, yeah. I think he does that. I ordered a print of the Walking Dead Michonne cover he did, and he also tossed a signed issue of Invincible in the envelope, too.

Owzers

You should definitely get the OHC, though Invincible has been showing up in a lot of humble bundles. I loved the series for awhile and still like it now even though i'm questioning it's sustainability at issue 124ish.

Messi

Just a heads up for the Black Canary talk, this month's issue is a one off written by Matthew Rosenberg (We Can Never Go Home) and art by Moritat.

My realistic Rebirth creative team wants: Tom King/Barnaby Bagenda on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, a competent writer not named Robert Venditti on Flash, Steve Orlando/Scott Kolins on Nightwing, and Steve Orlando/ACO on Justice League, Marguerite Bennett on Wonder Woman.

Oh shit. We can never go home was amazing

tim1138

Hey, Tim - I started reading Darkseid War. Can you tell me who that Green Lantern lady is with the mark over her eye. I don't read a lot of mainline DC books, so I don't know who she is.

That's Jessica Cruz, she was chosen by the evil ring from Earth 3 after Sinestro killed Power Ring during Forever Evil. The ring chose her for her cowardice and she is constantly struggling to control it.

VanWinkle

If you google image search the word 'invincible' then you'll get a sense of what 'occasional gratuitous violence' means for this comic.

Wow, yeah, it's pretty insane. I don't know why they want to be THAT gory.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I will buy the first volume and see if I'm okay with it.

Tizoc

I wonder how many kids would have had their mind blown in this ever happening :V
xsJLbmg.jpg

Can't frikkin wait for the next issue =_= (Proceeds to daily google #51 Preview)

That's Jessica Cruz, she was chosen by the evil ring from Earth 3 after Sinestro killed Power Ring during Forever Evil. The ring chose her for her cowardice and she is constantly struggling to control it.

Thanks a lot for the info. Makes perfect sense given some of the dialogue I've read.

Wow, yeah, it's pretty insane. I don't know why they want to be THAT gory.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I will buy the first volume and see if I'm okay with it.

I should mention that the real gore doesn't get to the levels people are mentioning until about the 5th hardcover collection. Coincidentally, that's also when the art gets fucking insanely good.

Walmart is never out of frames.

I go and look at frames at Target or something and I'm never happy with what I find. They're all warped or bent in some way. I usually try Michaels or AC Moore. But I highly recommend Spotlight Displays. It's a mail order company that makes these awesome front-loading frames.

BKatastrophe, nobody likes u.
images-article-2016-02-18-anigif_enhanced-buzz-993-1373320167-4.gif

It wasn't any more graphic than you'd expect from a comic, but it was....something. Honestly, it was kind of shocking to even see that in a comic.
Locke and Key had a scene that still disturbs me to this day. It's not much if you just look over it, but if you actually look at the panel for a bit it's uh, well...

You're good people

Locke and Key had a scene that still disturbs me to this day. It's not much if you just look over it, but if you actually look at the panel for a bit it's uh, well...

Which scene was it? I read all of L&K, and I think I know which scene you're talking about.
The one with Dodge and that one teacher from the school?

Odds on Gail Simone having a rebirth book?

I'd be surprised if she didn't.

Yooo. Just finished Assault Android Cactus. Wow what a great game. Felt like a lost Dreamcast game. Was on sale for $10 on ps4. Well worth that price. Favorite character was starch. That crazy android was a lot of fun. And she had cool weapons.

Also caught up on my MU backlog. Feels good to clean up my plate.

Yooo. Just finished Assault Android Cactus. Wow what a great game. Felt like a lost Dreamcast game. Was on sale for $10 on ps4. Well worth that price. Favorite character was starch. That crazy android was a lot of fun. And she had cool weapons.

Hey, if you buy the Division, let me know how you like it. I stay away from MMO-lite games like this, but I can't shake that I would like to play this one.

MartyStu

Messi list!

Batman and Robin Eternal #24
Black Canary #8
Clean Room #6
Legends of Tomorrow #1
Lucifer #4
Martian Manhunter #10
Poison Ivy #3
Robin Son of Batman #10
Superman American Alien #5

Huck #5
Low #12
Injection #8
Monstress #4
Rat Queens #15

Jonesy #2
Lumberjanes #24
Red Sonja #3

All-New Inhumans #5
All-New X-Men #6
Ant Man #6
Captain Marvel #3
Deadpool and the Mercs for Money #2
Extraordinary X-Men #8
International Iron-Man #1
Powerman and Iron Fist #2
Scarlett Witch #4
Silk #6
Spider Woman #5
Squadron Supreme #5
Star Lord #5
Uncanny Inhumans #6
Web Warriors #5
--

Batman HC Vol 8
Gotham Academy Vol 2
Mad Love colouring book
Phonogram Vol 3
Beauty Vol 1
TMNT HC Vol 2

200w.gif

How much do you spend on books weekly?

I am sure I am going over previously tread ground, but I am very curious.

Top Bottom