• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

I hate Fairyland is a really fun book.

I've been wanting to try that one out. Realistically, I have too much to read already, plus I think I want to start reading Sinestro as well.

According to the site that will not be named,
Starbrand & Nightmask, Red Wolf, Illuminati and Guardians of Infinity are getting canned after May.

No surprises there.

Kelly Sue's Captain Marvel adds up to 500ish pages no?

Meh.

Maybe it's Kamala's first series?

I hope so. I'd probably buy that instead of the two hardcovers.

Owzers

According to the site that will not be named,
Starbrand & Nightmask, Red Wolf, Illuminati and Guardians of Infinity are getting canned after May.

I've only read one issue of Starbrand, i'm not surprised it might get canned but it wasn't terrible. I didn't even know there was a new Guardians book though.

Choose_Your_Side_She-Hulk.jpg

Uh oh.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, what does everyone here think of the Batman: SuperHeavy arc? Personally, I'm enjoying it a lot. It started off a little 'eh', and I wasn't sure I'd buy into the idea of Jim Gordon, a chain smoker, as Batman. But...holy shit, it made a killer turnaround a few issues in. I was hooked. Mr.Bloom is one fucking brilliant new villain. Can't wait to see how it all ends with this month's issue No.50. Will be sad to see Snyder go.

shingi70

Banned
So, what does everyone here think of the Batman: SuperHeavy arc? Personally, I'm enjoying it a lot. It started off a little 'eh', and I wasn't sure I'd buy into the idea of Jim Gordon, a chain smoker, as Batman. But...holy shit, it made a killer turnaround a few issues in. I was hooked. Mr.Bloom is one fucking brilliant new villain. Can't wait to see how it all ends with this month's issue No.50. Will be sad to see Snyder go.

It's been cool and I think Gordanman works pretty well as a state sponsered Batman and his methods are different from Bruce's. Bloom is creepy as hell, and I can't wait for Bruce to come back this during issue 50.

It was pretty weak for a while there, but the last few issues have been Top Shelf Comics. Gordon was a little bit dull, but Mr. Bloom is a creepy motherfucker, and that was enough for a while, but ever since Bruce came back into focus this thing went to a whole 'nother level.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is there anything more annoying in comics than when writers try to replicate southern US or British accents through dialogue?

Gotta bring in those five new readers from the Civil War movie, man. Plus Bendis hasn't killed anyone for awhile, he's got quotas to meet.

I know. I just need to be reminded from time to time to bring me back from the constant mental screaming of "WHY?!"

I just don't like anything about this. It isn't cynicism or "Bendis is garbage" or "Events suck" or anything like that. My main issue is that it feels forced, and that the specific issue they're tackling -- while always an interesting concept -- seems like it's been done before. It doesn't feel unique or anything. At least the first Civil War was a really cool concept that felt unique to the medium and genre (even if X-Men technically did it first).

This just feels upsetting. I look at every single one of these images and I get nothing but upset. I'll read the event, but I'm not excited. I want it to be good, I do. I don't like bad things, but I can't help to feel anything other than negative to it.
Is there anything more annoying in comics than when writers try to replicate southern US or British accents through dialogue?

Any kind of European accent, really.

I know. I just need to be reminded from time to time to bring me back from the constant mental screaming of "WHY?!"

I just don't like anything about this. It isn't cynicism or "Bendis is garbage" or "Events suck" or anything like that. My main issue is that it feels forced, and that the specific issue they're tackling -- while always an interesting concept -- seems like it's been done before. It doesn't feel unique or anything. At least the first Civil War was a really cool concept that felt unique to the medium and genre (even if X-Men technically did it first).

This just feels upsetting. I look at every single one of these images and I get nothing but upset. I'll read the event, but I'm not excited. I want it to be good, I do. I don't like bad things, but I can't help to feel anything other than negative to it.

Personally, I would've just made Standoff a bigger event, or at least given it more focus. Bringing back Steve as Cap is all the Civil War movie promotion you need, IMO. I wish he'd just gone back to the Marvel Now one though, the new one is horrific. The last one was a nice update to the classic look while still being faithful.

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #6
And now we're done. The anti-climactic end to a story arc that did nothing except spin it's wheels, and then when it finally took off it decided to come to a slow and proper stop. Heartwarming ending, but I'm tired of this book having no real payoff.

Plus, what's up with Marvel making the Spiders hold Cap's shield lately?

Ms. Marvel #5
This book had me laughing so damn hard, oh my goodness. As always the family moments are super heartwarming and real, despite me not being able to fully relate. And the action, while very little, was enjoyable.

But what kind of fucking high school uses barbed wire for gym class?

The Mighty Thor #5
s3ou1t.gif

Personally, I would've just made Standoff a bigger event, or at least given it more focus. Bringing back Steve as Cap is all the Civil War movie promotion you need, IMO. I wish he'd just gone back to the Marvel Now one though, the new one is horrific. The last one was a nice update to the classic look while still being faithful.

Ah can't say ah disagree

VanWinkle

The $50 Flash by Manapul Deluxe Edition was changed to a $75 omnibus on Amazon, and the release date changed from September to December. I'm guessing they will also include at least issue #0 and at least annual #1 instead of just 1-25 like the original description.

Hopefully we'll see for sure come the next solicits. Also hoping for more New 52 omnis and deluxe editions to get announced.

Hi friends, I'm still around and I'm still reading through Marvel 616 in Chronological Order! I'm nearing the 1000th issue in the order, so I'll have another write up soon. The most surprising thing is... X-Men suddenly became worth reading and it's not even the 1980s yet!

Don't worry, it won't last.

Damn! It was so out of the blue, I wasn't sure what was going on. So I made the point of checking who had written the issues, and who had drawn them.

CdN47MxW8AAldAu.jpg

A 4 issue run blessed by Don Heck and Jim Steranko covers and pencilling. With Arnold Drake writing some really interesting, connected and well paced stories issue to issue. I'm slowly building up a small list of names that I look forward to seeing on the staff box each issue. Don Heck and Jim Steranko are on there without a doubt.
Marvel Unlimited need to hurry up and get more of Steranko's Nick Furys, as those are my favourite. They're not even 'super hero' stories, just out right fun spy stories.

The Infinity Entity #1
So, when I was reading the JSA Omnibus, the JSA revival stuff made me really enjoy the idea of comics that were written with the tone of Golden-/Silver-Age comics with more modern dialogue and visuals. Yet still retaining the feel of an old-school comic. This very issue makes me want the same thing, and even makes me want to go back and read more Silver-Age Marvel.

Really looking forward to more of this, although they reference some things that occurred in older cosmic stuff, such as Peter Quill killing Adam Warlock and Adam being captured by Annihilus. Beyond that, I'm psyched.

The Vision #5
This fucking book, I swear. Keeps coming. Probably my favorite issue so far. Seeing everything start to implode is terrifying and yet amazing.
CW2 covers and teasers make me think that the GAF leak was probably true

Yup. Which I'm not sure I care? I liked War Machine's design, but never really cared for Rhodes. She-Hulk seemed cool, but again I never got invested in her.

Owzers

My main Sunstone gripe is what is addressed at the back of volume 2's special content, a passage about editing down the redundant bdsm discussions and i think that's still a problem as when new characters are introduced and even when they aren't, it seems like i'm reading the same discussions and that bogs down my enjoyment of seeing where the series goes.

Ended up reading all of Sunstone vol 3 today after reading all of vol 2 last night.....it's on par with Raw.

Top Bottom