• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

TheFlow

Banned
A lot of Image books aren't that far into their runs where I'd expect to see them on a list like this.
True. But i fully expect stray bullets to make the list now that it finally finished a while back.
Chew is going to finish this year.

I am curious if people will vote for some titles that isn't from the big two like hellboy or usagi which has been ongoing for 25+plus years

A lot of Image books aren't that far into their runs where I'd expect to see them on a list like this.

There's always a bit of "recent" bias in the early numbers. Like Mark Waid's Daredevil got 120 points/#71 and it was on its second year. Snyder/Capullo Batman had 13 issues.

I fully expect those to rise, and BKV/Staples Saga to show up, they fuckin' LOVE BKV. Probably Ms.Marvel, too.

There were several titles from the 2008 list that disappeared

MIA: Runs from 2008 that did not return in 2012
#100: Doug Moench’s Master of Kung Fu (95 points)
#97: Matt Wagner’s Grendel (98 points)
#97: Stan Sakai’s Usagi Yojimbo (98 points)
#93: Garth Ennis’s Hellblazer (101 points)
#93: Bendis/Gaydos’s Alias (101 points)
#91: Mike Grell’s Green Arrow (104 points)
#89: Mark Gruenwald’s Captain America (107 points)
#86: Roy Thomas’s Avengers (109 points)
#85: Aragones/Evanier’s Groo (110 points)
#83: Ellis’s Stormwatch (112 points)
#81: Brubaker/Phillips Sleeper (113 points)
#80: Carey/Gross/Kelly Lucifer (114 points)
#78: Casey’s WildCATS (117 points)
#76: Chadwick’s Concrete (120 points)
#74: Claremont/Davis’s Excalibur (122 points)
#73: Priest’s Black Panther (130 points)
#70: Bendis/Oeming Powers (134 points)
#67: Milligan’s Shade, the Changing Man (142 points)
#64: Moore/O’Neill’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (148 points)
#56: Alan Moore’s Supreme (168 points)
#56: Johns’s Flash (168 points)
#53: Baron/Rude’s Nexus (174 points)
#41: Steve Gerber’s Howard the Duck (218 points)

Funny how some runs stay in people's minds and others kinda fade away for various reasons. Like Priest's Black Panther has been out of print for YEARS.

Dalek

Here's the 2012 list. Theres a lot of fun polls on the tags on the right and they usually get hundreds of ballots from pretty superhero comic literate folks, so you can scourge for recommendations that way. I really like how the 50 best X-Men list came out, I'm trying to remember my votes. It was five from the 80s, five from the 2000s, fuck the 90s. Most of mine showed up.

1. E for Extinction
2. To Have and Have Not
3. Riot at Xavier's
4. A Green and Pleasant Land
5. Here Comes Tomorrow
6. Professor Xavier is a Jerk!
7. Unstoppable
8. From the Ashes
9. Gifted
10. Dancin' in the Dark

I also really liked how the top 75 Batman stories panned out. My own votes:

1. Mad Love
2. Dark Knight Returns
3. Year One
4. Strange Apparitions (Detective Comics #469-479)
5. Club of Heroes (Batman and the Black Glove)
6. The Eye of the Beholder (Batman Annual #14, Two-Face origin)
7. Leviathan (Batman Inc vol.2 #1-10, 12-13)
8. To Kill a Legend (Detective Comics #500)
9. Batman and Robin Must Die! (Batman and Robin #13-16)
10. Prey (Legends of the Dark Knight #11-15)

and Greatest Stories for people not popular enough to get their own month dedicated to them(Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, Thor, Darkseid, Magneto, Roger Stern, etc). The first link is to 2013 voting, here's 2010/11

good stuff here-thanks for the links.

You sure? Complete Collections are up on IST.

Yeah, they're starting to put them into print last year, but there was a huge stretch of time where a recent, popular Marvel Knights run just wasn't in print. Its only once Black Panther got confirmed for a movie they decided to put those back into production.

TheFlow

Banned
There's always a bit of "recent" bias in the early numbers. Like Mark Waid's Daredevil got 120 points/#71 and it was on its second year. Snyder/Capullo Batman had 13 issues.

I fully expect those to rise, and BKV/Staples Saga to show up, they fuckin' LOVE BKV. Probably Ms.Marvel, too.

Funny how some runs stay in people's minds and others kinda fade away for various reasons. Like Priest's Black Panther has been out of print for YEARS.
Usagi might make a comeback considering the aggressive amount of merchandise and easy availability thanks to dark horse. I remember in 2012 how hard it was to find tpb and hc of the first 7th volumes.

Powers might come back as well

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Walking Dead #152

Negan is out! Oh boy. It was bound to happen. That Brandon kid will be killed though. Man Rick almost went off the tracks there. Dude was straight up in to Ricktator mode. And now we have a new mystery; who is the man who is talking to Eugene over the Radio? Over.

Yeah between using The Whisperer propaganda to focus people's anger on something other than himself to the comment about Michonne turning The Kingdom against him to almost killing the kid he was in full Ricktator mode for sure. I kept waiting for Rick to refer to someone as his comrade.

Also very interested in who Eugene is talking to. Whoever it is it probably won't lead to anything good for the group.

I think we've done it before, but I think it'll be fun to post top ten favorite series/runs/whatever. My favorites change all the time but I'll try to think of something.

Had to read that hot new Waid/Samnee comic, Black Widow. First issue was great stuff! Very minimal dialogue but that's fine with Samnee and Wilson on art. I've said it before, but Samnee's like Marvel's golden boy for me. What a good artist.

Very excited for the next issue.

I think we've done it before, but I think it'll be fun to post top ten favorite series/runs/whatever. My favorites change all the time but I'll try to think of something.
Mine changes pretty often too. Focusing more on 'series' rather than stand alone books:

Sandman - Gaiman and way too many artists but faves include Zulli and JHWIII
Ultimate Spider-Man including Miles Morales by Bendis, Bagley, LaFuente, Immomen, Pichelli, and Marquez
Zero - Kot, Bellaire and the 18 or so line artists that worked on it
Daredevil by Bendis and Maleev
Miracleman - Moore, Totleben, Leach, Davis
Avengers/New Avengers - Hickman and Marvel's entire stable of artists pretty much
All Star Superman - Morrison and Quitely
Sleeper - Brubaker and Phillips
Ultimates - Millar and Hitch
Thor - Aaron and Ribic

Man, I read a bunch of comics today. TWD and Deadly Class were the standouts. Still need to read Old Man Logan #3. Vampirella #1 was pretty average, but I like the new costume design. Dejah Thoris #1 + #2 were a bit more enjoyable, but Red Sonja has easily been the best of these Dynamite vol.3 relaunches so far.

Now it's time for more Wayward....

Nice list ed. Didn't say it either, but yours was good too JC.

My top ten favorites at the moment:
1. Doom Patrol
2. Hellboy
3. BPRD
4. Batman Inc.
5. Daredevil: Born Again
6. Power Girl: Power Trip
7. Hawkeye
8. You Are Here
9. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
10. Uncanny X-Force
And that's where I'm at right now. Last two could probably be replaced by better books, but I'm a big fan of them so I had to include them. Still working on a bunch of other stuff so it'll be fun to see if this changes anytime soon.

Also just read the new Batgirl. No one mentioned that James Harvey did some art for this week's issue! There was this one page that was incredibly good looking. Very nice surprise.

Yep! The trade has already been solicited for August I believe, it will contain all 12 issues.
aces.gif

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I'm not really a comic book reader. I've only recently started reading Turtles and Ghostbusters, but I've always been attached to some of the DC characters.

Can I get a few recommendations? I've only ever read Killing Joke. Some of the characters I'm drawn to are Batgirl, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Batman & The Atom.
Chuck Dixon's Nightwing
Cassandra Cain as Batgirl (unless you're looking for Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, in which case I have no recommendations).
Green Arrow by Lemire/Sorrentino

Samesies:
Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt by DeMatteis and Zeck
Secret Six (pre-Flashpoint) by Gail Simone
Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Locke and Key by Hill and Rodriguez
Translucid by Echert, Sanchez, and Bayliss
Umbrella Academy by Way and Ba
Death Vigil by Stjepan Sejic
Earth 2 (New 52)

Granted, it's a bit of a work in progress. Some of them need a re-read in order to confirm their place.

frye

Assault on Pleasant Hill was so good. Also, Black Widow #1 is skippable, one big action scene but no hook.

i mean, isn't the hook Samnee/Waid taking the close to perfect action stylings of Daredevil and pushing it even further?

Geber going from #41 to be omitted entirely makes some sense considering he died in 08. A lot of the Wildstorm picks disappeared in between too, which is pretty interesting since you could make a case that they were the guys doing the most interesting work in the early 2000s.

so taking a "run" as basically a series of serialized single issue comics under a consistent creative team, off the top of my heard:

Moore/Bissette/Totleben/Veitch Swamp Thing
Miller/Janson Daredevil
Kelly/Mahnke JLA
Haney/Aparo Brave and the Bold
Moore/Everyone but mainly Totleben Miracleman
Brubaker/Fraction/Aja/Everybody Iron Fist
Milligan/Allred X-Force
Millar/Hitch Ultimates
Lapham Stray Bullets

aaaand I'm feeling Ennis Hellblazer (especially when Dillon comes on) in the last slot but it's been long enough that I want to revisit it. Ultimates is a new-ish addition but I've realized I really like it and it's pretty much a perfect comic

PsychBat!

Banned

Daredevil by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee
Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic
S.H.I.E.L.D. by Jonathan Hickman and Dustin Weaver
Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
Exiles by Judd Winick, Chuck Austen and Tony Bedard on writing and various on art.
Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott, Guiseppe Camuncoli, Ryan Stegman and Humberto Ramos.
Green Lantern by Geoff Johns and a whole bunch of artists
Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and a whole bunch of artists
Moon Knight by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey

Honestly, this is just my list out of the Big Two.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Is Twilight Princess hd worth buying in the year 2016? I'm not a huge zelda fan but i always like the idea of the series, never played TP despite buying it for Wii.
There are better first Zeldas to play. It's pacing is just really fucking slow. That said there are some good dungeons, but alot of wasted items/ideas.

tim1138

Morrison/Truog - Animal Man
Moore - Swamp Thing
Claremont/Byrne - Uncanny X-Men
Claremont/Davis - Excalibur
Hickman/Pitarra - The Manhattan Projects
Kirby - Mr Miracle
Kirby - New Gods
Johns - Green Lantern
Kot - Zero
Murphy - Punk Rock Jesus

I agree with the last part, but I'll take a crack at it.

Planetary - Ellis/Cassaday
Doom Patrol - Morrison/Case
Batman & Robin - Morrison/Quitely
Fear Agent - Remender/Moore
The Valiant - Lemire/Kindt/Rivera
Gotham Central - Brubaker/Rucka/Lark
Preacher - Ennis/Dillon
Detective Comics (The Black Mirror) - Snyder/Jock/Francavilla
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters - Grell/I forgot
Batwoman - Rucka/Blackman/Williams III

Let's see on the top of my head in no order.

Morrison/Case Doom Patrol
Snyder/Capullo Batman
Locke and Key
Y The Last Man
Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Batgirl/Robin Year One
Final Crisis
New Frontier
All-Star Su.....I mean All-Star Batman and Robin

My list keeps changing too but this would be my current top 10.

Sandman - Gaiman/Everyone
Planetary - Ellis/Cassady
Astro City - Busiek/Anderson/Ross
Transmetropolitan - Ellis/Robertson
Usagi Yojimbo - Stan Sakai
Doom Patrol - Morrison/Case
Thor - Walt Simonson
Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck - Don Rosa
Starman - Robinson/Harris
Asterix - Goscinny/Uderzo

These are series I am in the middle of and could be strong contenders to move into that list.

Kirby's Fourth World
Cole's Plastic Man

Mindwipe

What are the best Alan Moore comics besides Watchmen? I obviously loved Watchmen and want to pick up a couple others...looking at Killing Joke, From Hell, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen rn

His run on Supreme is awesome, but it's out of print IIRC.

VanWinkle

Planetary
New Frontier
Green Arrow by Lemire and Sorrentino
Gotham Central
Batman by Snyder and Capullo
Secret Six by Simone

I'll have to think of more later

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Everything I read is still going! So this is the best I can do......

Manifest Destiny
Revival
Lazarus
Shutter
Saga
East of West
Chew
Deadly Class
The Wicked + The Divine
Nailbiter

Tizoc

OK 10 quickie titles off the top of my head

Transformers by James Roberts (and Nick Roche)
Mark Waid's Daredevil
Morrison's Batman
All-Star Superman by Morrison
Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa
John Rogers' Dungeons and Dragons
Ian Flynn's Megaman run
Ian Flynn's Sonic the Hedgehog run
Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka's Gotham Central
X-Statix by P. Milligan
Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run
Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis
NEXTWAVE by Warren Ellis
Bone
Eric Powell's The Goon
Chew
Mike Mignola's Mignolverse
Gurihiru's Power Pack series
Aaron Sparrow & Ian Brill's Darkwing Duck series
Boondocks by McGrudder
Christopher Priest's Black Panther run
Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatties and Kevin Maguire's The Real Justice League
Hawkworld
Gail Simone's Secret Six
Gail Simone's Birds of Prey run
Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run
Greg Rucka's Punisher run
Garth Ennis' Punisher run

Yeah that's it off the top of my head.

Did I miss anything JC?

Owzers

Hmmm.

Nextwave Agents of Hate
Umbrella Academy
Immortal Iron Fist
Heck
Hickman Fantastic Four
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimates
Runaways
Y the Last Man

borderline:

Manhattan Projects
East of West
some Walking Dead
Captain America Brubaker till Rebirth.
Seven Soldiers of Victory

I actually have liked a lot of things, the problem is most of them have been done for years, new Marvel books aren't even close to the ones I liked when i started reading comics.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The one with Maleev art? Fuck yeah. Brubaker run after it is great too.
I originally just wanted to read Bendis rum because I loved the concept behind Brubakers Run with the Daredevil in jail thing and wanted see how everything fall into this (and wanted to see Iron Fist running around as DD), but Didnt imagined that Bendis is so fucking amazing. I am just at the part where Bullseye attacked Milla and Matt proclaimed himself as the new Kingpin.

Also cant wait to go up until I can read the upfollowing Runs like the Black Panther Man without Fear Run and Fraction/Brubaker Iron Fist.
The stuff is just amazing. I love Streelevel.

Owzers

woah instock trades has great prices but what is the catch? like how long is shipping

IST is the best place to get trades in America, the best country in the world to read trades.

it's media mail, sometimes they are slow in shipping, i wouldn't call that a catch though since shipping is free at $50 purchases.

TheFlow

Banned
IST is the best place to get trades in America, the best country in the world to read trades.

it's media mail, sometimes they are slow in shipping, i wouldn't call that a catch though since shipping is free at $50 purchases.

ok will cancel my amazon preorders and save myself 100 bucks

VanWinkle

woah instock trades has great prices but what is the catch? like how long is shipping

It usually takes about a week. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on the time of year and whether they have the copies in their warehouse or they have to order them (which typically adds three extra days). They cannot be beat though. Incredibly well packaged, and free shipping after $50, with the option of upgrading to FedEx for a small fee.

TheFlow

Banned
It usually takes about a week. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on the time of year and whether they have the copies in their warehouse or they have to order them (which typically adds three extra days). They cannot be beat though. Incredibly well packaged, and free shipping after $50, with the option of upgrading to FedEx for a small fee.

yea they seem to have everything I want instock.

might just pick up superior foes of spidey

TaterTots

Banned
This is my new home.

Have any of you read Deadpool & Cable: Split Second? I have the Deadpool & Cable omnibus by Fabian Nicieza and really enjoyed it. However, I keep hearing the new run is lackluster. Is it true? Should I save my cash?

Top Bottom