• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Exiles
Secret Six
Morrison/Waid/Kelly JLA
Y The Last Man
Irredeemable
Fables
Busiek/Perez Avengers
Fraction/Aja/Wu Hawkeye
Sandman
Furman Transformers UK (the entire Target 2006-Time Wars run, Aspects of Evil and Another Time or Place in particular)
Johns JSA
Ostrander Suicide Squad

Shit, that's 12. Oh well.

tim1138

The fun thing about doing a top 10 list is that I could come up with one that's almost entirely different now. I probably have about 20 runs that could cycle in and out of a top 10 list, with the only constants being Animal Man and the Fourth World.

Morrison - Batman
Johns - JSA
Ostrander - Suicide Squad
Ellis/Cassaday - Planetary
Remender - Fear Agent
Mignola - Hellboy
Kirby - Fourth World (condensed all four books into one listing)
Morrison/Truog - Animal Man
Kirby - The Demon
Fraction/Aja/Wu - Hawkeye

Nice that a lot of people dig Fraction's Hawkeye. I read the first couple issues like a year ago and loved them, and then somewhere on GAF I mentioned they were good and a bunch of people were talking about how it's a shitty interpretation of Hawkeye and the "bro" dialogue is dumb. Like they can't handle an Avenger brings self deprecating and doing small scale stuff? Idk. Needless to say I bought the whole run a while ago and will be reading through it soon. The art is so good too.

that All Star Superman thread remidned me of the real GOAT page

BatmanInc8b.jpg

Damien is so good. I never thought Batman having a kid who would then become Robin would turn out anything other than terribly.

Nice that a lot of people dig Fraction's Hawkeye. I read the first couple issues like a year ago and loved them, and then somewhere on GAF I mentioned they were good and a bunch of people were talking about how it's a shitty interpretation of Hawkeye and the "bro" dialogue is dumb. Like they can't handle an Avenger brings self deprecating and doing small scale stuff? Idk. Needless to say I bought the whole run a while ago and will be reading through it soon. The art is so good too.

Their argument can be broken down to "B-b-b-but a Mark Gruenwald mini from the 80s that nobody cares about and hasn't been relevant ever since!"

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The fight scene between Damian and Heretic looks amazing oversized in the Absolute edition of Inc. Burnham did some serious work in that book.
Brutal in every possible way. The "...Mother..." at the end is just a raw kidney punch to finish up.

Batman Inc is pretty Damn great in General.

Morrison's run is really a great take on the character.

is quietly still stuck doing Jupiter ascending with Millar. Him and Morrison need to get the Band Back together.

tim1138

Brutal in every possible way. The "...Mother..." at the end is just a raw kidney punch to finish up.

It's 20 panels of pure savagery.

But for real, the Absolute edition is incredible. Burnham and Paquette went back and redid all of the pages that had fill in art, and it looks amazing oversized.

And just for kicks, the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh that Burnham drew for me in the inside front cover of my copy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

is quietly still stuck doing Jupiter ascending with Millar. Him and Morrison need to get the Band Back together.
Seriously. Although, I do love Morrison and Burnham together as well.

One of my favorite pages in Morrison's whole Batman arc:
Frazer Irving is so fucking good. I wish he got more work--more specifically, a Klarion ongoing.

frye

slightconfuse and Filthy Slug!?

:mjcry:

yeah, another 5 issues of Jupiter left. The last one came out a year ago but Millar's waiting for Quitely to finish them all before going to (bi?)monthly releases

tim1138

One of my favorite pages in Morrison's whole Batman arc

Specifically that middle panel

Frazer Irving is so fucking good. I wish he got more work--more specifically, a Klarion ongoing.

Y'all need to read Annihilator (can't remember if you were reading that or not Slug). Great story and AMAZING Frazer Irving art. The hardcover came out last year, but if you have a tablet I recommend getting it in digital. Irving's art is insane on a screen with a great resolution.

Yeah I really love his stuff, it's so surreal and has that awesome painterly quality. He and JH Williams were probably my favorites on the run.

Y'all need to read Annihilator (can't remember if you were reading that or not Slug). Great story and AMAZING Frazer Irving art. The hardcover came out last year, but if you have a tablet I recommend getting it in digital. Irving's art is insane on a screen with a great resolution.

Nice I'll check it out. I'm pretty much exclusively digital at this point anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why is Batman wearing a purple, red and yellow costume? :eek:

Wonder if I could come up with a different top 10.

Moore Swamp Thing
Long Halloween/Dark Victory
Kingdom Come
Planetary
American Vampire
Justice
Johns Green Lantern
Superior Spider-Man
Brubaker Catwoman
Johns Justice Leaugue

tim1138

why is Batman wearing a purple, red and yellow costume? :eek:

It's a reference to the old Silver Age story "The Superman of Planet X!" where the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh is introduced. Part of Morrison's goal for his run was to find a way to fit every Batman story ever published into Bruce's life in a way that makes sense, even crazy stuff like Bat-Mite. In fact, Batman Incorporated is just him updating an old concept called the Batmen of All Nations.
Anyone who is interested in Morrison's run should check out the Black Casebook tpb, it's a collection of classic stories curated by Morrison that influenced his run.

Filthy Slug

yeah, another 5 issues of Jupiter left. The last one came out a year ago but Millar's waiting for Quitely to finish them all before going to (bi?)monthly releases
Haha--I've been missing the :mjcry; lately.
Yeah, I was totally reading it as it came out. Irving's panel-play is masterful in that book. Such a great book, even if Max Landis is the main character.

Heh, thanks
iv been only reading deadly class. i have no idea whats going on in marvel or DC land.

Jason aarons comic the goddamed is really great

This is my new home.

Have any of you read Deadpool & Cable: Split Second? I have the Deadpool & Cable omnibus by Fabian Nicieza and really enjoyed it. However, I keep hearing the new run is lackluster. Is it true? Should I save my cash?
I'm interested in this myself too. I don't know if anyone here read Split Second but I did enjoy Cable & Deadpool

Also, nice lists everyone. Fun to focus on what we like!

TaterTots

Banned
I'm interested in this myself too. I don't know if anyone here read Split Second but I did enjoy Cable & Deadpool

They're releasing a collection in May for $12. It only collects the first few issues, but I may give it a shot then. I'm just hoping its as good as the original Cable & Deadpool. I laughed out loud several times through it haha.

If you're okay with digital, Marvel is offering the first issue of Cable & Deadpool: Split Second for free for a limited time.

Go here and enter the code "Cable."

Owzers

Hmmm i got an email from HeavyInk saying they are closing in March. This is relevant to comics-gaf.

Do you guys think Messi will come back for the republican debate tonight?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it.

I ended up getting Year One Batman, Batgirl & Green Arrow. I'll wade through the rest after I get through with these.

Hmmm i got an email from HeavyInk saying they are closing in March. This is relevant to comics-gaf.

Do you guys think Messi will come back for the republican debate tonight?

I haven't used HeavyInk in years. I have to imagine digital comics had a serious impact on them.

And I'm sure Messi will wander back in eventually, but I don't think US politics will be the thing to do it.

If you're okay with digital, Marvel is offering the first issue of Cable & Deadpool: Split Second for free for a limited time.

Go here and enter the code "Cable."

thanks for the heads up, been meaning to try this. These comics actually do read better digitally since that's their main intent. I read the print version of Spider-Man & Silk and the transition is a bit awkward in spots. It's not a dealbreaker, but that and the fact that it's $5 for two print chapters vs. $2 a digital chapter makes the decision a bit easier.

Spider-Man & Silk was pretty good and fun, btw

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is that little guy in a bat costume a hallucination?

Trickster

So one thing I've discovered, at least in marvel series, is that sometimes there will be a story that cuts across a bunch of different series. Like right now I'm reading Uncanny Xmen, and all of a sudden there are 2 chapters of a 10 part storyline called Battle of the Atom, which until I realized that was the case, left me completely confused as to what was happening because it had nothing to do with where the last normal chapter left off.

So I'm wondering if I should just skip those cross series chapters? Because now, 10 chapters later, there's a different cross series storyline that takes up the next 3 chapters <_<

Rhaknar

that whole thing sounds like my kind of Batman story

TaterTots

Banned
To the X-Men fans: The last run I read was Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. Where should I go from there? Would Uncanny X-Force be appealing to someone that enjoyed his(Joss's)run?

Rhaknar

To the X-Men fans: The last run I read was Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. Where should I go from there? Would Uncanny X-Force be appealing to someone that enjoyed his(Joss's)run?

well, its totally different toanlly but its a great run so...yes? but if you read that you also have to read the sequel, Uncanny Avengerts

edit: whatever happened to McGuiness? I loved his art on the OG Deadpool run, but I dont think Ive seen much of him elsewhere (unless he drastically changed his style)

is that collected in some form?

It's spread out across various trades over various series (Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Inc., etc) starting with the Batman and Son arc. It's pretty confusing but there are plenty of reading order lists out there. But everything ties together in one overarching story so to get the most out of it start at the beginning. It's really good stuff.

well, its totally different toanlly but its a great run so...yes? but if you read that you also have to read the sequel, Uncanny Avengerts

edit: whatever happened to McGuiness? I loved his art on the OG Deadpool run, but I dont think Ive seen much of him elsewhere (unless he drastically changed his style)

He's working with Joe Kelly again on Spider-Man/Deadpool at the moment. He was on the Sam Nova series for awhile before that.

tim1138

is that collected in some form?

Grant Morrison Batman reading order (this really should be in the OP)

Batman the Black Casebook (recommended but not required)
Batman and Son
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (recommended but not required)
Batman and Robin volume 1: Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin volume 2: Batman vs Robin
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin volume 3: Batman and Robin Must Die!
Batman Incorporated
Batman Incorporated volume 1: Demon Star
Batman Incorporated volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted

Top Bottom