• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Owzers

Master of Kung-Fu was pretty good, it reminded me of the Immortal Iron Fist arc The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven....and the Mortal Kombat movie.

so far my SW tie-in ranking goes:

Master of Kung-Fu - legit good
Spiderverse- kinda good, spider-ham is carrying it
Siege - okay so far
Thors - seems like a very tepid investigation story, like just the fact that they are doing it is supposed to be enough to carry the book
Marvel Zombies - eh, i like Elsa but not the plot
Old Man Logan - eh eh, not enough substance there, seemed like Logan battleground tourism

I am getting Flashpoint vibes reading more tie-ins, but they are rounding out my view on Secret Wars. Everyone is probably watching Daredevil or thinking about Civil War 2 right now

Messi

Secretly, we all work for Bleeding Cool.

Me too. I wanted to like Spider-Gwen's book so much, but it just didn't keep me interested. I think Messi had the same problem, so I know it's not just me.

I have high hopes for Gwenpool, though.

I've come around on Gwen. It's an ok book full of wasted potential. There are far worse books out there. It's been better in ANAD. Worst Spider book tho

I've come around on Gwen. It's an ok book full of wasted potential. There are far worse books out there. It's been better in ANAD. Worst Spider book tho

oh, I know. I wouldn't classify it as straight-up bad, but it is rather unremarkable. And it's just not very good at holding my attention. Unfortunate, because I really like the character. Maybe they'll get another writer on her at some point and make it a book worth revisiting.

Owzers

I'm in the "Morlun should have killed off almost all the spider-people" side. There's too many and it's weird.

Since i am a responsible comics-gaf member i started a trade, Coffin Hill vol 1, i'm not sure I like it, seems like a time sink early on.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Marvel is waving their big Spider penis around now that they got Spider-Man back in their universe.
Its not like they ever stopped. They get 100% of the merchandise and Spidey is alone worth a billion in merchandise, like three times the whole money DC makes with all their charachters.

Messi

I'm in the "Morlun should have killed off almost all the spider-people" side. There's too many and it's weird.

Since i am a responsible comics-gaf member i started a trade, Coffin Hill vol 1, i'm not sure I like it, seems like a time sink early on.

It's not worth it.

Sadist

Man that Secret Wars HC sure is pretty, got it in the mail today.

Dat Punisher page

CekjQhX.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bernthal as Punisher is on that Cap / Tony tier of casting, its ridiculous. He IS Frank Castle

frye

I hope Uncle Ben comes back and turns out he's a racist

this happened to Miss America v1.0 (lily white edition) and it was extremely funny

e: but yeah, it's not gonna happen for the same reason why Batman's parents won't be resurrected

Real talk, the current X-Men line-up is like the worst of all-time.

Like ok...Marvel isn't trying to kill the X-Men, but if they WERE, the current creative direction would be a great way to do it. There's never been a better time to NOT read the X-Men then right now. All-New Wolverine is aight, but besides that the current collection of x-books are completely tone deaf, monotonous, and ugly.

Like even in the much maligned 90s, they were at least INTERESTING! Rob Liefeld and Joe Mad were at least interesting! The things happening to the characters, I mean...you could talk about em!

There's absolutely nothing worth talking about in the current lineup of X-Books. If they're not worn out records repeating themselves, then they're ugly caricatures of previous ideas that have been done better. Its a sad state of affair for a franchise that used to be one of the biggest, coolest, most interesting in comic book pop culture.

This is not difficult to believe taking into account the fact that I am currently reading 0 monthly X-Men titles. And it hurts me, JC. It hurts me right in my heart. I liked the first few issues of Extraordinary, but then they quickly introduced Mr. Sinister, possibly the dullest X-Men villain of all time.

there are like two good uses of Mr. Sinister: 1) when 80s Marc Silvestri is drawing him as a completely ridiculous supervillian with fanged teeth and a an evil chair that stretches upwards into nothing and 2) when Gillen writes him as a Kieron Gillen badguy(arrogant and charismatic megalomaniac with flexible sexuality)

frye

Like ok...Marvel isn't trying to kill the X-Men, but if they WERE, the current creative direction would be a great way to do it. There's never been a better time to NOT read the X-Men then right now. All-New Wolverine is aight, but besides that the current collection of x-books are completely tone deaf, monotonous, and ugly.

Like even in the much maligned 90s, they were at least INTERESTING! Rob Liefeld and Joe Mad were at least interesting! The things happening to the characters, I mean...you could talk about em!

There's absolutely nothing worth talking about in the current lineup of X-Books. If they're not worn out records repeating themselves, then they're ugly caricatures of previous ideas that have been done better. Its a sad state of affair for a franchise that used to be one of the biggest, coolest, most interesting in comic book pop culture.

It's really hard to disagree with this. I'd also that when bad times have fallen on the mainline X-Men titles (which let's face it, is most of the time), there's usually interesting work in the periphery. All New Wolverine is fine (though a little too decompressed for my tastes) but it's being helped a lot by how anemic the other books are and how few other options you have.

I could ignore the state of X-Men under Bendis since Uncanny Avengers basically functioned as a trojan horse X-Men comic but now that that's gone and turned into... whatever it is, it's really hard not to wonder what they've been doing to this franchise that have got them to a state where it's being headed by some of Marvel's dullest writers and wackest artists

Sandfox

Black Panther #1 has already sold 300k lol. Also, I'm excited for Dead No More.
Civil-War-II-Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Cover-Khary-Randolph-4ea36.jpg

"Oh God, not another one."
Well people were complaining a bouit hjis position before and now it looks like he'll be conflicted.

All-New X-Men and Old Man Logan stand out to me.

Have started hitting issues in Astro City that are new to me. Just read The Eagle and the Mountain. Such a fascinating issue. Just a "dinner date" once again (like the Winged Victory issue) but what an intriguing villain Infidel makes.

Really enjoyed Mark Waid's foreword to the volume too. Couldn't find it online, so here's how it starts off.

tim1138

there are like two good uses of Mr. Sinister: 1) when 80s Marc Silvestri is drawing him as a completely ridiculous supervillian with fanged teeth and a an evil chair that stretches upwards into nothing and 2) when Gillen writes him as a Kieron Gillen badguy(arrogant and charismatic megalomaniac with flexible sexuality)

Silvestri always drew the hell out of Sinister's goofy ass ragged cape too. He always made a super ridiculous villain look visually interesting.

To your earlier post, I really wanted to get back into the X books, (they were my gateway comics as a kid and I'll always have a soft spot for those characters) but you're absolutely right the ANAD X-Men line is just not good. I haven't bothered with All-New Wolverine, but I also don't like Tom Taylor's writing at all.

The only interesting thing about that Civil War Spidey book is Travel Foreman is doing the interiors, but even that can't get me to care.

Top Bottom