• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Sandfox

Those DC double shipped issues are going to be a pain for someone who collects in trade format and likes the art from an arc to be consistently from one artist. Unless they give their artists mad lead time, we're going to have at least two different artists on each arc.

We already know that the bi-weekly books will have three artists IIRC.

mreddie

Daniel Clowes' interview
He also has a few words about super-hero comics that do make him sound like a bit of an ass.
tumblr_inline_nszlq4Z2FF1qawtfi_500.jpg

Messi

Hell yes! Been waiting forever for this!

On a side note, what is the general concensus on Soule's current Daredevil run? Is it worth the read? Haven't picked up a DD book since Kevin Smith's run.

Buy Waid and Samnee's run. Its super cool. Soules run is really meh so far.

Is it so bad or are you just speaking in terms of what's on the cover?

Have you not seen that review that slated it? its quite something.

On a side note, what is the general concensus on Soule's current Daredevil run? Is it worth the read? Haven't picked up a DD book since Kevin Smith's run.

eh....I like it better than most and even I think it's a bit of a mess. Tenfingers is an awful, boring villain. Blindspot is a pretty bland new character.

tim1138

It exist!!!!

CdR5z3qWoAA2ygx.jpg

Of course it exists, I read it months ago.
It's quite good and what you would expect from Morrison revisiting Marston's original themes and concepts for Diana. I imagine it's going to be quite controversial with people who A) don't like Morrison and/or B) are unfamiliar with the history of Wonder Woman. Paquette and Fairbairn did the lords work on the visual side, the layouts and colors are gorgeous. That's about all I can say though because of review embargoes until release.

frye

Elektra has always been an odd character in that she's not so much a character as she is a rather incoherent collection of fetishes and interests from Miller (and later Bill Sienkiewicz adds in his own in the excellent Elektra: Assassin). Nearly every writer struggles with her in comics because they fail to get a handle on her (shoutouts to my dude Zeb Wells, tho) so it was nice to see the show get such a tricky character mostly right so far.

Shade/X-Statix spoilaz

real talk, the tendency for Milligan in these long runs to kill off a significant female character part way through is so weird. When you're reading the first 40-odd issues of Shade or X-Force it isn't so obvious that Kathy/Edie are necessarily the fulcrum the entire comic hangs on, but the fact that there's a clear drop in quality after indicates that they definitely were. X-Statix fares much better than late-era Shade but still

Hellblazer isn't top-tier Milligan but I had time for it every month and I was always worried he'd do the same damn thing again and kill of Epiphany

Shade/X-Statix spoilaz

real talk, the tendency for Milligan in these long runs to kill off a significant female character part way through is so weird. When you're reading the first 40-odd issues of Shade or X-Force it isn't so obvious that Kathy/Edie are necessarily the fulcrum the entire comic hangs on, but the fact that there's a clear drop in quality after indicates that they definitely were. X-Statix fares much better than late-era Shade but still

Hellblazer isn't top-tier Milligan but I had time for it every month and I was always worried he'd do the same damn thing again and kill of Epiphany

It must be like a dare at this point. Like he's thinking, "geez, this character is clearly the one I have the most fun writing and the whole book revolves around her, I wonder if this book would work without her. Take the crutch away." Whoops!

speaking of which, reading Johnny Nemo. Its fun to try and see where Brett Elwins begins and Steve Dillion ends.

JNpage2_0514.jpg

frye

speaking of which, reading Johnny Nemo. Its fun to try and see where Brett Elwins begins and Steve Dillion ends.

JNpage2_0514.jpg

Strange Days is that comic man. I have a lot of time for Johnny Nemo. It's not as crazy as the McCarthy stuff in Strange Days, but it's really great in its own right

rip Brett Ewins, who would have cemented his place in comics history had he only done Bad Company and Johnny Nemo. But he also introduced Brendan McCarthy to Peter Milligan and created Deadline with Steve Dillion, a magazine that introduced the world to guys like Jamie Hewlett and Philip Bond among others

Vyer

Daniel Clowes' interview about Patience, his older works and his work style in general.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/19/adu...that_has_very_clear_moral_boundaries_i_guess/

He also has a few words about super-hero comics that do make him sound like a bit of an ass.

What a dipshit.

Also:

think there’s a certain chaos in the world and people need something that has very clear moral boundaries, I guess. I’ve taken my son to see a few of the superhero movies and I just find myself tuning out the minute it starts. It’s just not of any interest to me.

I’ll leave the movie and a day later I’ll think, “Oh, we should go see that movie.” It’s like I can’t even remember it. And he doesn’t even like them. That’s the thing, he’s sorta like, “Yeah, it was OK.” (Laughs)

That poor kid

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mrs.Deadpool & The Howling Commandos #2-4: fun book as expected from Duggan, as Shiklah teams up with the monsters to gather a weapon (from Weirdworld so nice Battleworld connection) to defeat Dracula. Gorgeous art and some funny writing makes for a easy to read book.

XF51o5X.jpg

MODOK Assassin #3-4: even tho the first issue didnt do much for me (and I love Yost) its been much better since Angela showed up in issue #2. MODOK's crush on her is cute and they go through many familiar faces in Killville's version of the assassin's guild. Lots of action and funny dialogue between MODOK and Angela makes this more fun than I expected, good stuff. Also funny Yost easter egg when MODOK says killing Kaine is his favorite thing lol.

shingi70

Banned
Reading Legends of tomorrow and man the artist form Sugar and Spike makes Sorrentino's Killer Moth design look appropriately dumb.

3869171-screen+shot+2014-06-04+at+3.07.18+am.jpg

TW4pBQmh.jpg

mreddie

This shouldn't warrant a new thread.

My brothers went to Disneyland without me, no one asked me if I could come, I had the money, no one said shit, everyone then comes to where I live and brag about the trip, I hate myself, I feel like I'm a loser at this point.

My brothers went to Disneyland without me, no one asked me if I could come, I had the money, no one said shit, everyone then comes to where I live and brag about the trip, I hate myself, I feel like I'm a loser at this point.

Nah, you're not a loser, they're just assholes.

Messi

Nah, you're not a loser, they're just assholes.

This.

Don't let it get you down man. They are assholes for not inviting you.

Get revenge. Fuck up their lives up. That's what I'm gonna do to Zombeen at NYCC for stealing my art last year. Messi never forgets.

Bah, Disneyland is for children.

Vyer

Are they older? Have families of their own or anything like that? Do you guys hang out together regularly?

mreddie

Bah, Disneyland is for children.

I was there once when I was 3, I'm now 25 and don't remember anything from the first time.

Are they older? Have families of their own or anything like that? Do you guys hang out together regularly?

Used to, I spent NYE alone in the house because everyone had family get togethers to go to and Christmas earlier, I heard extended family talked about me leaving my job and other bullshit, I was done.

Some decent Marvel CMX Elektra and Punisher sales. I'd recommend Elektra Assassin and Ruckas amazing Punisher run.

I got hopeful that they'd finally put The punisher max series on sale but NOPE. Marvel has a weird take on their Max line for some reason. I don't get it.

Vyer

gketter I made it

Got a Pro. Not sure I'm going to keep it. It's awesome but I'm not sure I can adjust to the size.

Comics tho....

Holy shit.

I was there once when I was 3, I'm now 25 and don't remember anything from the first time.

Used to, I spent NYE alone in the house because everyone had family get togethers to go to and Christmas earlier, I heard extended family talked about me leaving my job and other bullshit, I was done.

Well without knowing details or anything, while it sucks I would say don't let it get you too bad; people sometimes unfortunately get tunnel vision at times when they are dealing with spouses and kids of their own. Particularly if you guys don't hang out together as much anymore (or they think you're mad about something).

I moved like only an hour away from most of my family, but because of it my siblings tend to do things together instead. It's just how it goes sometimes, and I can't pretend I probably don't do the same thing at times as a result.

Just use that money to plan your own kick ass trip somewhere :)

mreddie

Well without knowing details or anything, while it sucks I would say don't let it get you too bad; people sometimes unfortunately get tunnel vision at times when they are dealing with spouses and kids of their own. Particularly if you guys don't hang out together as much anymore (or they think you're mad about something).

I moved like only an hour away from most of my family, but because of it my siblings tend to do things together instead. It's just how it goes sometimes, and I can't pretend I probably don't do the same thing at times as a result.

Just use that money to plan your own kick ass trip somewhere :)

I have no car or girlfriend. I can't find a bright side anywhere. To those saying, Disney just for kids, I know but I just wanted to have a some tinge of being happy. I've been on walking a tightrope on depression hardcore since the holidays last year.

gketter I made it

Got a Pro. Not sure I'm going to keep it. It's awesome but I'm not sure I can adjust to the size.

Comics tho....

Holy shit.
Welcome friend. Welcome to the promise land!

It took me a day or so and a case I liked to adjust to it. I was overwhelmed by it at first. Now when I pick up my old pad I think " this thing is tiny!"

Take advantage of the split pane. You actually have enough screen space to make it useful.

Tizoc

Hell yes! Been waiting forever for this!

U stopped just when it was vetting good!
Bendis and brubsker's runs are great i recommnd reading theirs before reading waid's run

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well I can barely afford my dog's diabetes medicine, I can feel myself physically break down more and more after 6 years of graveyard shifts, my house is literally falling apart and the loan I tried to put in to fix it didnt go through.

You know, actual problems >_>

Edit: meh sorry I'm just cranky I guess

Have any of you read this?

Rjf6SOl.jpg

It has Cliff Chiang on art but the book is based off of a Neil Young album of whom I don't listen to.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401228224/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dysart and Chiang. It's a safe bet.

Some decent Marvel CMX Elektra and Punisher sales. I'd recommend Elektra Assassin and Ruckas amazing Punisher run.

I got hopeful that they'd finally put The punisher max series on sale but NOPE. Marvel has a weird take on their Max line for some reason. I don't get it.

Marvel Knights is worth picking up, yes? Ruckas wasn't on my to-buy list, but I may well get that, too.

Floridian here, Disney sucks. it is truly made for kids

Damn, that's the one thing I miss from Florida :(

Top Bottom