• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Annie Wu is drawing Scarlet Witch #7. I guess I have to read this series, Marvel keeps putting artists I like on it. It's like their version of Constantine: The Hellblazer, in that sense, which I'm catching up on and enjoying enough. Wish Riley Rossmo wasn't the main artist tho, 'cause he's like the weakest of all of them

anyway MoS isn't the worst shit ever but it's like 45 minutes too long

GAMEPROFF

Banned
yeah but: what IS fun? how do you define it? how do you achieve it? when you praise Marvel movies for being "fun", what exactly do they do? I'm talking something substantial here, not just "fun" by itself, as an adjective that lost all its meaning through overuse
Fun means for me entertaining.

I've been getting stuff I thought I had dropped in my pull folder for some reason, so I asked my LCS to print out a copy of my pull list so I could look it over and see what's still on there and... WHAAAAAAAAT? How do their records even work? I'm seeing stuff on this list I haven't pulled in years, I'm seeing stuff on this list that's over a decade old...

Bazooka Jules! Apparently, I'm still pulling Bazooka Jules! And Slott's Great Lakes Avengers! Can't miss the next issue of that one!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Annie Wu is drawing Scarlet Witch #7. I guess I have to read this series, Marvel keeps putting artists I like on it. It's like their version of Constantine: The Hellblazer, in that sense, which I'm catching up on and enjoying enough. Wish Riley Rossmo wasn't the main artist tho, 'cause he's like the weakest of all of them

anyway MoS isn't the worst shit ever but it's like 45 minutes too long

It can't be worse than the art in #1

Gave up after that

yeah but: what IS fun? how do you define it? how do you achieve it? when you praise Marvel movies for being "fun", what exactly do they do? I'm talking something substantial here, not just "fun" by itself, as an adjective that lost all its meaning through overuse

you could try reading the reviews, they tend to go into detail using lots of words

I also placed another IST order:

Gotham Academy vol 1
Batman and Robin Eternal vol 1
Punisher MAX Complete Collections vol 1 and 2

It can't be worse than the art in #1

Gave up after that
I kept hearing this about SW #1, which is a shame 'cause I generally like Vanessa Del Rey's work (including her work on Constantine!)

It leaked.

8A53O7x.jpg

most of them say it's "not fun" or "not a Marvel Movie", which a) that kinda sounds like my jam and b) that doesn't say a lot

Most of them say its disjointed, tonally inconsistent, overwrought mess of a film, featuring thin female characters, dumb male characters, haphazard and jarring editing, pointless scenes, action sequences that exhaust rather then exhilarate, a grating Jesse Eisenberg playing Max Landis playing The Joker playing Lex Luthor, with a lack of human stakes to get behind

but ya know keep handwaving all the bad reviews away cuz "something something not marvel". Its not like they all jerked off to Nolan's interminable super-serious Batman movies a couple years ago or anything

maybe the movie isn't very good, ever thought of that b

Weiss

Banned
The first Thor was remarkable just by virtue of being a good Thor movie.

I liked Thor 2 a lot but I'm in the minority in that. Iron Man 2 was kinda meh and never saw 3 and don't care to.

Age of Ultron was pretty crappy, though, and that was a movie that was more quippy than Avengers and suffered greatly for it. Otherwise I like all the MCU movies except Ant-Man, which I've yet to see but plan to.

ElNarez

Banned

yeah but

these people also praised Guardians of the Galaxy and called it the New Star Wars, and not only that movie was shit, it was so shit I forgot everything about it as I was leaving the theater and, again, it's not for effect, I literally did that's how little there is in this film worth remembering

yeah but

these people also praised Guardians of the Galaxy and called it the New Star Wars, and not only that movie was shit, it was so shit I forgot everything about it as I was leaving the theater and, again, it's not for effect, I literally did that's how little there is in this film worth remembering

GotG was aggressively mediocre, that I agree.

Maybe both these movies can be not-good in two different ways! Diversity!

Iron Man 2 was my favorite Solomovie until Cap 2 came out...

image.php

I will defend Thor 1. It's a solid Thor origin story.

IDK DC movies feel like their comics dark and colorless. Feels like there is no passion from the people making it.(which is,probably why Age of Ultron was average)

Sandfox

Most of them say its disjointed, tonally inconsistent, overwrought mess of a film, featuring thin female characters, dumb male characters, haphazard and jarring editing, pointless scenes, action sequences that exhaust rather then exhilarate, a grating Jesse Eisenberg playing Max Landis playing The Joker playing Lex Luthor, with a lack of human stakes to get behind

but ya know keep handwaving all the bad reviews away cuz "something something not marvel". Its not like they all jerked off to Nolan's interminable super-serious Batman movies a couple years ago or anything

There's also the fact that Deadpool was different from the "Marvel formula" and was well liked.
yeah but

Your opinion of the film was clearly different from what most others thought rather than the reviewers being bad.

I like GoTG more than others but some of it has to donwotht he fact they made a Freaking Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Like it is still crazy they are making an Inhumane movie(blackbolt, karnak,on the big screen!!)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
IronMan 3 is shit and I came to the conclusion long time before the fucking Mandarin thing.

The one and only time I wanted to leave the cinema.

Cap 1 does not get enough love imo.

But yeah, Cap 2, IM1 are the standouts. I'm a little mixed on IM3, it definitely does more right than it does wrong but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Only seen it the once, mind.

ElNarez

Banned
Iron Man 3 wasn't good imo.

The parts of it that are a Shane Black movie are great.

The parts of it that are a Marvel Action Movie, heavy on the CGI and wire tricks, is bland. Like, it's not bad, it's just there. It's garnish. It's filling. Doesn't take away from the dish, but doesn't make it better.

Cap 1 does not get enough love imo.

But yeah, Cap 2, IM1 are the standouts. I'm a little mixed on IM3, it definitely does more right than it does wrong but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Only seen it the once, mind.

Cap 1 was a solid period piece but cap 2 was crazy good.

IM3 was a Shane Black movie with robots(which is dope)

Sandfox

The parts of it that are a Shane Black movie are great.

The parts of it that are a Marvel Action Movie, heavy on the CGI and wire tricks, is bland. Like, it's not bad, it's just there. It's garnish. It's filling. Doesn't take away from the dish, but doesn't make it better.
My problem with Iron Man 3 is the characters.

Top Bottom