• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nighthawk preview

56f2e8cf11dd6.jpg

Looks great, cant wait.

Avengers/NA is def more plot heavy and mystery driven than FF but its still phenomenal how Hickman juggled such a massive cast and was able to provide a lot of nice character moments while upping the stakes every issue and somehow culminates into Secret Wars while shifting a lot of focus.

There are a couple of rough issues that have to do with the art more than anything and then there is the fact that Hickmam had to change somethings on the fly because of Sixis but on the whole its 'good. *damn* good

Ross61

So what do you guys think the difference between Titans and Teen Titans will be?

Also I hope this BVS doesn't dampen the hope for DCEU too much. I don't really care about box office as much as I do the quality of the films. I have hope in Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman interest me. I hope those two can build back up the hype.

jackdoe

Would you say that they copied DC?
It definitely shares strikingly similar design features with the Talon. So much so that if you had told me the splash page was from a Batman book, I would have believed you.

Additionally, if you had told me the art was by Chris Burnham, I would also have believed you.

Would you say that they copied DC?

No, because that is definitely a trap.

So what do you guys think the difference between Titans and Teen Titans will be?

Also I hope this BVS doesn't dampen the hope for DCEU too much. I don't really care about box office as much as I do the quality of the films. I have hope in Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman interest me. I hope those two can build back up the hype.

Titans I'm thinking will be the classic lineup, all grown up, while Teen Titans will be the younger crop.

I think SS and WW will do a good job of getting people on board for the DCEU in general, but JL 1 is gonna get hammered.

I'm not interested but I'd prefer they take chances with characters like that then just the same old regulars. With the right creative team at the helm it could be a good/interesting take. Even if they do tend to end up shortlived.

I think my post came across differently than I intended, but I do agree with what you are saying! I have no problem with books focusing on less-popular characters, like Squirrel Girl (favorite ongoing) or Mockingbird, but it just feels incredibly strange for Marvel to push to get books like Black Knight or Red Wolf out when I think everyone knows they will be cancelled or end early on if it makes sense. They'll probably never be big sellers so it seems kind of like a lose-lose situation.

I read some comics today, and was mostly happy with everything. I'll post about em tonight.

Comics:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1953 Beyond the Fences #2 - Continues to be good. Felt like it flew by pretty quickly but 1953 so far should read pretty well in trade.

Circuit Breaker #1 - I didn't know what this was and I bought it because Kyle Baker did the art. I wasn't a big fan of this. It was kind of boring and I don't think Baker's art was really strong here. I wouldn't recommend this.

Miller's Daredevil - So I just finished this and I have to say that I am incredibly impressed and pleased with this. The story arcs were great and the art throughout this was so good. You could really tell it was Miller's art but Janson's inking and coloring really elevated it. I do also think it's funny how everyone talks about how dark and gritty this run is, but it's got a lot of pretty goofy moments like Turk's constant appearances and the Guts Nelson issue.

I think Born Again is still my favorite Daredevil story, but #181 was my favorite issue of this run. The way Miller and Janson did the fight with Daredevil and Bullseye was just too cool:

It's just so cool how you just see Bullseye's silhouette with the white highlights on his costume.

Tyrant going in hard for that JC approval. ;D

Its working

DD #181 is one of single favorite comics. I love so much of its construction, its narrative framework, the cheoregraphy and use of typography, the dramatic irony and juaxtopositing between thoughts and visuals like comics do best("And like a dummy, I felt for it!" with the dummy Matt Murdock sitting at the table). A classic issue not just because of Elektra's death, but in the complete commitment of the creative team to tell the best damn story they could.

Punisher MAX #8-12

fuuuuuuuuuuck this is so good and just built on the most fucked shit Ennis could muster

it gets more fucked fam

it gets more fucked

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy shit Siege #1 was fucking amazing. Who said this was the best tie-in? I might have to agree if the quality holds throughout

PsychBat!

Banned
Just read Ultimates #5.
I love when people misuse the word Omniverse like that. It's not pissing me off at all.

Other than that, Ewing really did go bigger than Hickman in scale. But I wonder if he'll deliver if he keeps writing these interesting characters and plot points to be uninteresting.

Holy shit Siege #1 was fucking amazing. Who said this was the best tie-in? I might have to agree if the quality holds throughout
I think it's the second best tie-in.

MartyStu

Ultimates 5

So good.

I agree with the PsychBat! though. The characters are doing none of the heavy lifting here.

I think Galactus may actually be the most interesting character in the book.

shingi70

Banned
So i'm back , guess i'm addicted to Gaf.

Today's Issue of Cyborg was decent and is David Walker's last issue on the series. I really like the Dynamic between Victor and Billy even if it just feels like Shazam replaced Beast Boy to give Cyborg a younger A-lister to play off of. The bulk of the issue was leading up to the reveal that Victor's Techno Organic parts now give him the ability to hide in plain sight and be a regular dude.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'd say it's top 5 but the art probably keeps it from being my #1.

But the art is fantastic. Are you a bad person Brian? Only a bad person would say such things. Do you like to kick puppies too?

After the major let-down that was Batman v. Superman for me, I just picked this up on comixology :

170747-19020-113372-1-superman-batman-annu.jpg

This might be my favorite Batman / Superman team-up, written by Joe Kelly and also featuring Deathstroke, Deadpool (yes, really) and the Crime Syndicate. I highly recommend it, a really fun read.

Joe Kelly is slowly starting to become one of my favorite writers, and I don't know if Ed McGuiness is divisive but I enjoy his art as well.

I'm looking to buy the Batman/Superman trades next.

Also so excited for Wondercon stream (doubly so with hickman being coy), I'm hoping it will be my consolation prize if I end up not liking BvS, that and Dark Souls 3.

Rhaknar

I think Messi is talking about America Chavez not America the country >_>

Messi

I heard they were raising the price of Slurpees. I won't stand for this.

Also the Rockets just lost to the Jazz. Why would America let this happen.

Top Bottom