• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

My favorite book currently. It's a treasure.

Hey how come no one worships Thor in the Marvel Universe? Isn't he proof that the Norse Gods at least are real?

Science is magic and magic is science. All that cosmic space magic is science that earthlings do not comprehend yet. At lest that is how I see it.

The only truly magical beings to me are the devil related ones. Ghost rider, mephesto stuff like that.

The only issue that's got nice art is #7 with the pencils being handled by Phil Noto.

I also admit I stopped reading at issue #3 so I'm not sure if he's a new regular or something (I doubt it, but nothing shocks me nowadays)

What is worse is the fact that I can look at it and say

" I literally can do a better job,"

I need to send a portfolio t someone

I don't know.
But that reminds me... according to Thanos Quest #2, the God committed suicide billions of years ago. The Soul (Infinity) Gems are the most concentrated chunks of its remains.

not entirely accurate. no one really knows anything about the creator of the marvel U. A different being claiming this title showed up very much alive in fantastic four, in the appearance of a comic book artist.

The living tribunal (who is definitely more powerful than the infinity gauntlet) claims to serve a creator as well, but it's unknown who this is. THAT being is also very much alive, and going by how strong the LT is, must be impossibly powerful.

As for worship of the Norse Gods, it's implied that they once had worshippers but no longer actively seek them. It DOES become a major religion again in the 2099 timeline, but by then the Norse gods have vanished mysteriously.

Owzers

Fuck DCBS for getting rid of their Marvel Now bundle. How am I going to drop stuff other than Thunderbolts, Mornius and Deadpool?

I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeed the massive bundles, i hope dcbs goes back to having a few big marvel and dcbs #1s at 75% off like they used to before these crazy bundles happened.

All New X-Men
Avengers
Captain America
Daredevil
FF
GotG
Hawkguy
Ind Hulk
New Avengers
Savage Wolverine - joe mad arc
Superior Spidey
Thanos mini despite everyone hating it....already pre-ordered
Thor
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
WATXM
Young Avengers
X-Men

that's all the marvel you need!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I hateeeeeeeeeeeeeed the massive bundles, i hope dcbs goes back to having a few big marvel and dcbs #1s at 75% off like they used to before these crazy bundles happened.

All New X-Men
Avengers
Captain America
Daredevil
FF
GotG
Hawkguy
Ind Hulk
New Avengers
Savage Wolverine - joe mad arc
Superior Spidey
Thanos mini despite everyone hating it....already pre-ordered
Thor
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
WATXM
Young Avengers
X-Men

that's all the marvel you need!

Missing Captain Marvel and Defenders bro. I need to catch up on Daredevil. It's always that book I almost pick up. "Next week."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I read everything brah but Dynamite comics. Check out Suicide Risk, fantastic debut issue.

Suicide Risk and 10 Grand were both really good first issues. Can't wait for the second ishs of both.

The living tribunal (who is definitely more powerful than the infinity gauntlet) claims to serve a creator as well, but it's unknown who this is. THAT being is also very much alive, and going by how strong the LT is, must be impossibly powerful.
I've always assumed that the One-Above-All = Kirby explanation is the best possible explanation that Marvel would ever be able to come up with, and thus canon, because who would be dumb enough at Marvel to undo that one.

I've always assumed that the One-Above-All = Kirby explanation is the best possible explanation that Marvel would ever be able to come up with, and thus canon, because who would be dumb enough at Marvel to undo that one.

no matter how great an idea someone has, there will always be a hack writer somewhere desperately trying to retconn it.

Owzers

Missing Captain Marvel and Defenders bro. I need to catch up on Daredevil. It's always that book I almost pick up. "Next week."

I really didn't like the first issue of Captain Marvel, i'll probably skip the trades and read it when it hits Marvel Unlimited to see if it gets better like people say. Fearless Defenders will either be trades or MU as well, it doesn't look that good and reaction to it seems a little bias towards the characters involved.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really didn't like the first issue of Captain Marvel, i'll probably skip the trades and read it when it hits Marvel Unlimited to see if it gets better like people say. Fearless Defenders will either be trades or MU as well, it doesn't look that good and reaction to it seems a little bias towards the characters involved.

The last bit about Defenders is sort of true. I love Valkyrie and Moonstar though. Never really ran into Misty Knight but I'm liking her too. If you pick it up, stick past the first issue, which had some definite problems. (Well, 2 panels that were straight male gaze wankery)

dan2026

What are the trades worth buying and what's their order?

Original Mini series

Six Degrees of Devastation

Ongoing

Vol 1 Unhinged
Vol 2 Depths
Vol 3 Danse Macabre
Vol 4 Cats in the Cradle
Vol 5 The Reptile Brain
Vol 6 The Darkest House

Ostrander Deadshot one off was good.

Cats in the Cradle was so good.

also Reptile Brain. CATMAN AS WARLORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

secret-six-catman-warlord.jpg

NEO0MJ

Original Mini series

Six Degrees of Devastation

Ongoing

Vol 1 Unhinged
Vol 2 Depths
Vol 3 Danse Macabre
Vol 4 Cats in the Cradle
Vol 5 The Reptile Brain
Vol 6 The Darkest House

Is the original mini Villains United? Also, depths is expensive.

Tizoc

Is the original mini Villains United? Also, depths is expensive.

Villains United was part of the Infinite Crisis crossover, but it can be enjoyed on its own.
I mean heck I have yet to read Infinite Crisis myself lol.

...and come on guys don't tell me you don't enjoy the Catman and Deadshot bromance!

I really didn't like the first issue of Captain Marvel, i'll probably skip the trades and read it when it hits Marvel Unlimited to see if it gets better like people say.

WHAAAAA!? Holy ballsacks, dude. The first Captain Marvel story arc is so-so, but it gets a lot better after the that.

Quake1028

Mothaphuckin' lists. Light week.

DARK HORSE COMICS
STAR WARS #5
X #1

DC COMICS
BATMAN #20

MARVEL COMICS
AVENGERS #11
DEADPOOL #9
FEARLESS DEFENDERS #4
SECRET AVENGERS #4
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #8
UNCANNY AVENGERS #8

Owzers

WHAAAAA!? Holy ballsacks, dude. The first Captain Marvel story arc is so-so, but it gets a lot better after the that.

I buy too many books though to just continue reading something after disliking the first issue if i wasn't that excited for the book in the first place. I gave it a try and hated where the book went towards the second half of the first issue, definitely wasn't going to ask dcbs to add more issues to my order and the series didn't get well reviewed enough to justify buying the first trade. Marvel Unlimited it is! The first five issues are up on there now, which are apparently so-so....so...you've already lowered my expectations on those issues!

ElNarez

Banned
Whatever your list has, you probably need to add Suicide Squad #20 to it. It's written by Ales Kot, of "Wild Children" and "Change" fame, and the preview reads exactly like a Suicide Squad comic written by the guy who made the children taking over a school and killing people book.

The rest of the list :

-Batman #20
-Batman and Red Hood #20
-Constantine #3 (It's Still Not Terrible, You Guys)
-Demon Knights #20
-Justice League of America #3
-Suicide Squad #20 (see above)
-Avengers #11
-Deadpool #9
-Thor God Of Thunder #8
-Uncanny Avengers #8
-Uncanny X-Force #4
-Wolverine #3

Nudull

Banned
Avengers #11
Fearless Defenders #4
Mega Man #25
Star Wars #5

I very much want to try out Demon Knights and Thor, given all the positive reactions so far. Also, Avengers Arena trade. :3

frye

Yup, but last-minute creative team changes from what was solicited are nothing new at DC in 2013.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be too bothered with the art because it's a DC comic not drawn by Burnham, Capullo, Chiang, or Manapul. Still gonna check it out because it's an interesting choice of a writer, even though he's clearly a dude they hired because he published a comic by Image.

Holy fucking shit. Vescell #8 is finally coming out next week. I've been waiting for that "Season Finale" issue for what has to be over a year now. Maybe the book can at least get a conclusion now before Image decides to not go any further with it.

Owzers

I know, I wasn't a fan of the whole
time-travel
thing, either. What I'm trying to tell you is to start with Arc #2.

I'm trying to think of other books where i disliked the first arc ( presuming i don't like captain marvel 2-5) but then ended up liking the book, Fraction's Defenders comes to mind. I'll still read the first five issues on MU since they are up there, hopefully they'll continue adding the second arc issues.

Dysun

List

Batman 20
Batman and Robin 20
Justice League of America 3
Green Lantern Corps 20 (Looks like order is fucked up wont even be able to read it yet)

Avengers 11
Thor 8
Uncanny Avengers 8
Uncanny X-Force 4
Wolverine 3

LUHIST

Avengers #11
Avengers Arena #9
Bravest Warriors #8
Deadpool #9
Prophet #35
Star Wars #5
Thor: God of Thunder #8
Uncanny Avengers #8
Uncanny X-Force #4

prophet = profit

Wool

Alot of things.

How is the war between the two worlds so contained despite the presence of magic and interstellar travel levels of science? How is it contained despite the fact that they are in orbit of each other?

Why are there people/robots with TVs for heads? Why would they have sex if they are robots? If they are living/biological besides the TV head, how do they get food/air/water for sustenance?

Alot of the incidental species that we've met along the way are extremely confusing as well. You just have to accept them as Farscape/Lexx muppets and move on?

Again, I'm enjoying it. But you just sort of have to hand wave logic away and just go with it.

grant-morrison.jpg

I'm not saying you have to like it, but you can't complain about it not making sense if you read superhero comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom