• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lists day already? Let's see...

Marvel Comics
Avengers #11
Fearless Defenders #4
Thor God of Thunder #8
Uncanny Avengers #8
Wolverine #3

Dark Horse Comics
X #1

IDW Publishing
Rocketeer Hollywood Horror #4

I'm not saying you have to like it, but you can't complain about it not making sense if you read superhero comics.[/QUOTE]

Except that in alot of cases worlds will have their own internal logic system that you can follow. Now, true, it may not always make the most sense. And sometimes the rules get broken. But overall you don't expect Spiderman to suddenly shoot lasers out of his eyes because why the fuck not. But once you get into a comic it'll make sense to you. I know what is in or out of character. What is "possible" and what is not.

Saga, on the other hand, doesn't have a sense of world logic yet. Literally anything can happen. The next issue could be about them having to fly their tree ship into the penis of a giant space whale to get the magic elderberries they need to perform a magic ritual. Who knows. We have literally nothing to compare it too.

And really, people will nitpick about the continuity of when a character could have done storyline X because storyline Y and Z happened and thus X couldn't have happened. If they are willing to nitpick stuff like that does it surprise you that they'd wonder why there are other things that are even stranger?

DC
Batman #20 - Should be good as always.
Batman And Red Hood #20 - Same as above. Tomasi rocking it hard.
Constantine #3 - Series is surprisingly good.
Green Lantern Corps #20
Justice League Of America #3
Katana #4
Ravagers #12 - Gave this a try and stuck with it for completions sake. But it just sort of meandered. It meant well though.
Superboy #20
Team 7 #8 - Sad to see this go. Was a fun GI Joe style team book romp. Oh well.
Threshold #5 - Moar Larfleeze? Yes please. Oh and Threshold itself is actually vaguely interesting. Yeah, I was surprised too.

Acid08

Banned
Except that in alot of cases worlds will have their own internal logic system that you can follow. Now, true, it may not always make the most sense. And sometimes the rules get broken. But overall you don't expect Spiderman to suddenly shoot lasers out of his eyes because why the fuck not. But once you get into a comic it'll make sense to you. I know what is in or out of character. What is "possible" and what is not.

Saga, on the other hand, doesn't have a sense of world logic yet. Literally anything can happen. The next issue could be about them having to fly their tree ship into the penis of a giant space whale to get the magic elderberries they need to perform a magic ritual. Who knows. We have literally nothing to compare it too.

And really, people will nitpick about the continuity of when a character could have done storyline X because storyline Y and Z happened and thus X couldn't have happened. If they are willing to nitpick stuff like that does it surprise you that they'd wonder why there are other things that are even stranger?
Saga isn't bogged down by all that continuity bullshit. It is its own thing. That alone makes it more exciting than almost anything DC or Marvel could put out.

It's a brand new world that we've only seen 12 issues of. I'm willing to be taken on the ride. Asking why there are guys with TV's on their heads is stupid. Who cares? You're coming at this from the angle of having been so invested in continuity for so long. Weird that this bothers you yet the entire New 52 thing doesn't. Where's the logic in that world? Where's the world building? You don't question it because it has the luxury of falling back on familiar characters with archetypes and personalities you feel comfortable with despite the fact that the universe is basically brand new.

Tizoc

Actually Morrison did experiment with heavy drugs while writing The Invisibles and New X-Men

You're kinda proving what I wrote in my post here bro =P
Actually I should rewatch the Grant Morrison documentary again as he mentions something about not taking drugs while writing Invisibles just to confirm.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You're kinda proving what I wrote in my post here bro =P
Actually I should rewatch the Grant Morrison documentary again as he mentions something about not taking drugs while writing Invisibles just to confirm.

That was Doom Patrol. In fact, a significant portion of Invisibles is influenced by his drug-altered mind states --especially the Kathmandu Alien experience.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just got the Prophet TP. Its the best Scifi comic I've read since Fear Agent.

Also is there any news on any new Orc Stain comics?

Acid08

Banned
Just finished Batman Year 100. It was fucking amazing. A great future story that had callbacks that weren't corny or pandering. DC needs to do more stuff like this. Stuff that doesn't feel so basic.
The only thing I don't understand is if that was actually Bruce or not. Seems dumb think it was but...I'm not so sure. Gordon calls him Bruce at the end and he seems shocked by it. So I guess it actually was him. Loved the little Nightwing set up too

What other Paul Pope stuff should I read?

dan2026

Just started reading the newish Hawkeye series.

This shit is good!
Guess I'm kind of late to the party on this one.

Riptwo

100% made me a Paul Pope fan for life, but I also really liked Heavy Liquid. On the plus side, it seems like more of his stuff is being released in readily available compilations, which makes life way easier for anyone trying to get into his work right now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The living tribunal (who is definitely more powerful than the infinity gauntlet) claims to serve a creator as well, but it's unknown who this is. THAT being is also very much alive, and going by how strong the LT is, must be impossibly powerful.

According to that story, all life in all realities was also created from that death, which would include the Living Tribunal and the One Above All.

frye

Just finished Batman Year 100. It was fucking amazing. A great future story that had callbacks that weren't corny or pandering. DC needs to do more stuff like this. Stuff that doesn't feel so basic.
The only thing I don't understand is if that was actually Bruce or not. Seems dumb think it was but...I'm not so sure. Gordon calls him Bruce at the end and he seems shocked by it. So I guess it actually was him. Loved the little Nightwing set up too

Also get the new edition of One Trick Rip-Off which may or may not be limited edition? Image put it out earlier this year.

e: probably not, actually - get it anyways since it's dope

According to that story, all life in all realities was also created from that death, which would include the Living Tribunal and the One Above All.

It's been retconned. This happens all the time- look at what they did to Beyonder. There is more than one creation myth within marvel- Galactus' origin directly contradicts the infinity being story as well. There's also that whole "brothers" storyline that was created for JLA/Avengers that seems to have been forgotten about.

Currently there are multiple infinity gauntlets, and each one was created from it's own infinity being, and only works in its own reality.

There is only one living tribunal across all reality, which is extremely rare within marvel. Even galactus has millions of copies. His authority is not limited to one reality at all, and can simply eliminate timelines of his choosing at will, or hold them in the palm of his hand.

In the original Infinity Gauntlet storyline, the Tribunal was equal to or slightly more powerful than Adam Warlock equipped with the full gauntlet, and a contest between them would have wrecked all reality, with Warlock the loser. Warlock gave up the gauntlet without a fight, since his mastery of time allowed him to see the eventual outcome. Tribunal then banned the gems from working together again, because he said so.

TOAA at that point was implied to be vastly more powerful than Tribunal- it's not even a contest. Whatever that thing is was NOT created as a result of the infinity being, and marvel has been deliberately vague about it's origins.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's been retconned. This happens all the time- look at what they did to Beyonder. There is more than one creation myth within marvel- Galactus' origin directly contradicts the infinity being story as well. There's also that whole "brothers" storyline that was created for JLA/Avengers that seems to have been forgotten about.

Currently there are multiple infinity gauntlets, and each one was created from it's own infinity being, and only works in its own reality.

There is only one living tribunal across all reality, which is extremely rare within marvel. Even galactus has millions of copies. His authority is not limited to one reality at all, and can simply eliminate timelines of his choosing at will, or hold them in the palm of his hand.

In the original Infinity Gauntlet storyline, the Tribunal was equal to or slightly more powerful than Adam Warlock equipped with the full gauntlet, and a contest between them would have wrecked all reality, with Warlock the loser. Warlock gave up the gauntlet without a fight, since his mastery of time allowed him to see the eventual outcome. Tribunal then banned the gems from working together again, because he said so.

TOAA at that point was implied to be vastly more powerful than Tribunal- it's not even a contest. Whatever that thing is was NOT created as a result of the infinity being, and marvel has been deliberately vague about it's origins.

i know why they did it, but it seems a waste to try to make beings as powerful as the brothers for a one shot, and then just have them dormant, like theyll be used again.

i know why they did it, but it seems a waste to try to make beings as powerful as the brothers for a one shot, and then just have them dormant, like theyll be used again.

They're not dormant, they were simply retconned into being mere pawns of the living tribunal, and by extension, whatever it is that he works for.

120965052_0cf1dd12f0_o.jpg

I'm hella slow, but I just became aware that Journey into Mystery has transitioned their main character to Sif. I've always been a fan of her so I'm wondering...is the series worth picking up? Might grab a few issues and see how it resonates with me.

Whatever your list has, you probably need to add Suicide Squad #20 to it. It's written by Ales Kot, of "Wild Children" and "Change" fame, and the preview reads exactly like a Suicide Squad comic written by the guy who made the children taking over a school and killing people book.

The rest of the list :
Brah that comic is gonna have nothing on Copra, the real Suicide Squad. Though Cpra doesn't have Killer Shark and is only available through select retailers like Bergren Street.

ElNarez

Banned
Brah that comic is gonna have nothing on Copra, the real Suicide Squad. Though Cpra doesn't have Killer Shark and is only available through select retailers like Bergren Street.

I'm just psyched that a mainstream cape comic drops Stalin and Weltschwertz in the span of one preview. I liked the Glass run well enough, but I'm really glad Suicide Squad is getting hella brainy.

Fuck at those X Statix prices. Might have to jump on that, hope the New Warriors omnibus hits that low.

Dang looks like I missed out in Copra too, is it as good as they say?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Great Pacific: Vol 1: Trashed!
Happy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Vol 5: Krang's War
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection: Vol 4

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Batman #20
Avengers #11

I told myself I wouldn't get Wolverine if #2 wasn't any better, it wasn't. Two comics isn't really enough for this week though. Iron Man is this week, eh? I wonder how much of a stir the SECRET ORIGIN will cause.

kswiston

I have been trying to catch up on Amazing Spider-man via Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited so that I can check out the Superior Spider-man issues everyone is always talking about. However, I'm not sure I can do it. I really dislike Slott's writing style on this book. I know comics are not exactly hard sci-fi, but if you are going to use science in your book (by making your lead character a scientist for example), you should make sure that the stuff is not at least blatantly wrong. I know it's nitpicking, but the little details just bug me. For example, Doc Ock activated some sort of heat shield that warmed up North America and South America which were facing the sun at the time supposedly mimicking future global warming. Doc Ock says something about the 3 billion people on those continents experiencing a glimpse of the future. The population of the Western hemisphere is something like 900 million. If he was going to use a number, he could have spend 30 seconds looking it up on Wiki. It just comes off as sloppy writing. Most people don't care because most people are not very science (or geographically) literate, but it would be like me writing a scene with people playing hockey and talking about my character scoring a field goal.

I know that most people just treat the series like dumb comics fun, but reading it gives me this feeling:

834548131_f20519f49f_z.jpg

/end mini rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom