• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I didn't like Fearless Defenders too much for the first episode (HEY KIDS DO YOU LIKE TnA AND LESBIANS!!!???) but that was an abbaration and now the book is AWESOME

Nudull

Banned
Finally finished my comic haul from last week. The Movement turned out as great as I expected, and Sonic was pretty good, while Indestructible Hulk was merely okay. I also tried out Chris Yost's Scarlet Spider with issue 16, and I ended up liking the book, so far. Anyone else following it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finally finished my comic haul last week. The Movement turned out as great as I expected, and Sonic was pretty good, while Indestructible Hulk was merely okay. I also tried out Chris Yost's Scarlet Spider with issue 16, and I ended up liking the book, so far. Anyone else following it?

It's pretty fun. The wolves arc that just ended wasn't too amazing, but the rest of the book has been really fun. The last issue was a return to form.

I want to check out Fearless Defenders and Scarlet Spider soon.

Read the first 3 issues of the new Deadpool and it feels kind of flat. Not good, but not bad either and the humor isn't there too much either. Does it get better after the dead presidents arc?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That's what makes it a confusing mess for me...I remember getting back into comics when all the ultimate stuff launched because I though it was kind of a relaunch deal like the new 52. Id rather there just be be one universe and one continuity path. But I realize that's hard to do when you are dealing with characters who have been around for 60 t 70 years.

Relaunches are always tricky. I think Ultimate really worked out for marvel in the long run because they were able to try new things without pissing anyone off. Look at how much it ended up rubbing off on the core universe. After house of m and civil war its just as dark as the ultimate universe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I want to check out Fearless Defenders and Scarlet Spider soon.

Read the first 3 issues of the new Deadpool and it feels kind of flat. Not good, but not bad either and the humor isn't there too much either. Does it get better after the dead presidents arc?

I think we all agreed that #7, the retro issue, was amazingly funny. It seems like it's picking up after Dead Presidents.

I didn't like Fearless Defenders too much for the first episode (HEY KIDS DO YOU LIKE TnA AND LESBIANS!!!???) but that was an abbaration and now the book is AWESOME

That was my initial impression as well. But it's really become a fun book. Not quite on the level of Fraction's recent Defenders book, but still enjoyable.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People seem to love Saga but I was done by the end of the second page of the first issue. At least it was free.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ah. One of those.

Huh? It's never happened, but it would be pretty strange to rule out the possibility immediately after reacting that way to a comic for the first time, no?

People seem to love Saga but I was done by the end of the second page of the first issue. At least it was free.

It's impossible to judge a book without reading at least a few issues. But Saga was one of those rare books that had me hooked from the first page.

TAJ

It's a BKV book, you have to go into it with the right mindset

Ah, it looks like he broke into comics just after I basically stopped reading them.
Looking at what he's done, my only exposure has been his run on Ultimate X-Men, which was not good.

Instocktrades has it for $68 I believe. It's gigantic and totally worth that price.

There are multiple sellers on Amazon marketplace selling it for around $36 shipped, new. I bought one a few weeks ago. That and a few other omnis (Aaron's Wolverine and Bryne's F4 for starters) are very cheap for some reason that a comic retailer explained elsewhere (I think Diamond is dumping them or something).

It's basically awesome.

There are multiple sellers on Amazon marketplace selling it for around $36 shipped, new. I bought one a few weeks ago. That and a few other omnis (Aaron's Wolverine and Bryne's F4 for starters) are very cheap for some reason that a comic retailer explained elsewhere (I think Diamond is dumping them or something).

It's basically awesome.

what the fuuu thanks dude! buying one now

I am currently getting Saga, and while I am enjoying it, I can definitely see why someone wouldn't. It's got a Farscape/Lexx vibe of, "I'm not going to make much sense, but just come along for the ride anyways." You just have to accept that the world of Saga doesn't make much sense and go for the characters.

Acid08

Banned
I am currently getting Saga, and while I am enjoying it, I can definitely see why someone wouldn't. It's got a Farscape/Lexx vibe of, "I'm not going to make much sense, but just come along for the ride anyways." You just have to accept that the world of Saga doesn't make much sense and go for the characters.

Just wondering, what exactly about the world doesn't make sense?

It's basically awesome.

That's a fucking amazing deal. Get on that everyone.

Just wondering, what exactly about the world doesn't make sense?

Alot of things.

How is the war between the two worlds so contained despite the presence of magic and interstellar travel levels of science? How is it contained despite the fact that they are in orbit of each other?

Why are there people/robots with TVs for heads? Why would they have sex if they are robots? If they are living/biological besides the TV head, how do they get food/air/water for sustenance?

Alot of the incidental species that we've met along the way are extremely confusing as well. You just have to accept them as Farscape/Lexx muppets and move on?

Again, I'm enjoying it. But you just sort of have to hand wave logic away and just go with it.

Just picked up a thunderbolts book, when did the art decide to now be eww. I may have missed something.

The only issue that's got nice art is #7 with the pencils being handled by Phil Noto.

I also admit I stopped reading at issue #3 so I'm not sure if he's a new regular or something (I doubt it, but nothing shocks me nowadays)

TheWraith

Just read up on my pile. Man the last DD was one great read, Waid's run his really impressive so far, I can't imagine a better artist then Samnee to match him up with as well.

Just read up on my pile. Man the last DD was one great read, Waid's run his really impressive so far, I can't imagine a better artist then Samnee to match him up with as well.

My favorite book currently. It's a treasure.

Hey how come no one worships Thor in the Marvel Universe? Isn't he proof that the Norse Gods at least are real?

TAJ

My favorite book currently. It's a treasure.

Hey how come no one worships Thor in the Marvel Universe? Isn't he proof that the Norse Gods at least are real?

I don't know.
But that reminds me... according to Thanos Quest #2, the God committed suicide billions of years ago. The Soul (Infinity) Gems are the most concentrated chunks of its remains.

Tizoc

i'M PREtty sure someone else can respond to this better but here goes:

Alot of things.

How is the war between the two worlds so contained despite the presence of magic and interstellar travel levels of science? How is it contained despite the fact that they are in orbit of each other?
Well I just assumed it's within a certain space sector, and maybe there is a treaty or pact that prevents this war from spreading outside the designated sectors.

Why are there people/robots with TVs for heads?
Why would they have sex if they are robots? If they are living/biological besides the TV head, how do they get food/air/water for sustenance?
You really shouldn't bother thinking about such things since...they really don't matter. Keep in mind this is a Fictional setting so why NOT have humanoid robots with monitors for heads? How they 'eat' is unimportant. i really feel bad for Robot IV, he'd just gotten back from the war, has time with his wife, but is then quickly sent to hunt down Alana and Marko, and he isn't even a bad guy from what we've seen (and I can't help but feel he's going to get killed).

Alot of the incidental species that we've met along the way are extremely confusing as well. You just have to accept them as Farscape/Lexx muppets and move on?
Well yes: it's a fictional setting and in a fictional setting one can use any creature or concept as they please.
I never questioned why the creatures in the series are there, but come on it's sci fi; FICTION, not every character has to be an Earthling.

ReiGun

Reading Simone's Secret Six finally. Bane's surrogate father act is equal parts heartwarming and hilarious.

"You may have one ice cream of your choosing, Scandal Savage. One."

kswiston

Lists

I have a decent sized week.

- Batman 20
- Justice League of America 3
- Avengers 11
- Avengers Arena 9
- Thor: God of Thunder 8
- Uncanny Avengers 8
- Uncanny X-Force 4

I might drop Uncanny X-Force if this issue doesn't hit home with me. Cable and the X-Force is more to my liking so far, and I have too many X-books. Especially with X-Men coming out this month.

I think I will go back and read some of the Justice League run in preparation for Trinity. I read the first 3-4 issues back in 2011, but the series sort of lost my interest.

Garryk

Finally caught up on Animal Man and Swamp Thing. I'm so glad that Rotworld is over but that ending to AM #18 made me wish I hadn't dropped it.

dan2026

The lying cat tshirt:

STK614868.jpg

Oh God where can I order one of these T-shirts from?

I have to know.

Reading Simone's Secret Six finally. Bane's surrogate father act is equal parts heartwarming and hilarious.

"You may have one ice cream of your choosing, Scandal Savage. One."

Secret Six was an absolute gem of a series.
And Bane was the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom