• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Private Eye issue 2 is out today, just checked and there it is.

Issue02.04pre.jpg

Issue02.13pre.jpg

Issue02.16pre.jpg

AEREC

Just finished Batman Year 100. It was fucking amazing. A great future story that had callbacks that weren't corny or pandering. DC needs to do more stuff like this. Stuff that doesn't feel so basic.
The only thing I don't understand is if that was actually Bruce or not. Seems dumb think it was but...I'm not so sure. Gordon calls him Bruce at the end and he seems shocked by it. So I guess it actually was him. Loved the little Nightwing set up too

What other Paul Pope stuff should I read?

Is this still on comixology? I remember seeing it as one of the recommended ones whenever you look at a similar comic but now I can't find it when I search for it by name or writer.

Word so I grabbed Journey Into Mystery #646, 647 and 649. My LCS didn't have any 648 in atm. So when I go out later I'll drive to the other side of town to grab 648. Finished off 646 and 647 and I'm really loving it. I like Immonen's writing on this, would be awesome to see Stuart draw an issue somewhere in the future. Definitely adding this to my list.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, made-up/extrapolated science is fine but there's no excuse to use flat-out wrong information these days when you can do a quick search on the internet with the same device you use for typing your work. I haven't read that issue yet and I don't mind Slott, but imo it's not nitpicking to expect a modicum of research from writers.

Finally read last week's ANXM and omg.... HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE. Best book from Marvel right now. Stepford Cuckoos I FUCKEN LOVE YOU CRAZY BITCHES. Bendis is a comics god.

ya'll still reading ANXM? I had to drop that after one too many shitty Wolverine scenes. I think I'm done with Bendis. Like, permanently.

ya'll still reading ANXM? I had to drop that after one too many shitty Wolverine scenes. I think I'm done with Bendis. Like, permanently.

Hell yeah. Immonen and Garcia on colors redefining superhero comics for a new generation.

From the lawn fights to the basketball courts, shit is pure comics.

I can't read books just because of good artwork anymore. I tried reading that new Millar book for Quitely, or that new Cornell Wolverine book for Alan Davis, both were drier than KFC.

It's just aint in me no more.

I can't read books just because of good artwork anymore. I tried reading that new Millar book for Quitely, or that new Cornell Wolverine book for Alan Davis, both were drier than KFC.

It's just aint in me no more.

I don't think it's just good artwork. I love the way he's working the First Five and Professor P is the character find of the decade.

You ever want to see the Stepford Cuckoos lay into that manipulative bitch jean grey?

Between Aoa, ultimate and regular universe, is jean grey just the worst person ever? I'm starting to think the anti jean agenda is real?

kswiston

Considering Bendis has written Wolverine like that for 7-8 years, I knew what I was getting. The rest has been pretty enjoyable. I'm hoping the plot progresses a bit faster going forward though. I'm ready for the book to move beyond the build up phase.

dan2026

You ever want to see the Stepford Cuckoos lay into that manipulative bitch jean grey?

Emma Frost is my favorite X-man er woman.
So yeah I think I'd like that.

Never been a huge fan of Jean Grey.
Just like Gwen Stacy, she's one character who became more relevant after she died.

Emma Frost is my favorite X-man er woman.
So yeah I think I'd like that.

Never been a huge fan of Jean Grey.
Just like Gwen Stacy, she's one character who became more relevant after she died.

Emma > Jean. Emma deserves better from all aspects. She deserves to be better written, better drawn, a better significant other and a better uniform among other things.

Gwen > MJ

I seriously got tired of MJ years ago.

Also, if you guys aren't reading Ultimate Xmen, you are fucking up big time. Wood is knocking out of the park. It's like Mean Girls meets Braveheart.

dan2026

Emma > Jean. Emma deserves better from all aspects. She deserves to be better written, better drawn, a better significant other and a better uniform among other things.

Hear hear!

Emma is a thousand times more entertaining a character than Jean ever was.
I think its maybe because I'm British, but I appreciate her dry wit.

I do too. Scott and Emma are a perfect match. The only relationship in comics I even vaguely care about.

I have to disagree on perfect. Scott always undermines her and cuts her short whenever he gets the chance, they've been together for lord knows how long but barely acknowledges that they're a couple. I think AvX pretty much sums up how I see Scott and Emma's relationship in picture form. He treats her like shit and she puts up with it...not sure why exactly. Love I guess.

Jean on the other hand? Man Scott would suck beast off if it mean saving or helping Jean.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
No love for The Private Eye #2 then? I've been looking forward to it. Bought both issues, hope they continue to receive enough support/payments to keep it going, really interesting concept.

akira28

She sucked the life out of him for 40 years. Cyclops has been living it up since Planet X. God bless Magneto.

Agreed. She was set up as this amazing woman we should all desire. Then there was the rivalry. Now that she's gone,(and back), it's all so silly now. If she had even a hint of a tinge for Wolvie, Scotty should have done a standing lap drop, and let her get to stepping.

He seems so much more interesting these days. The dynamic between he and Emma...well...she's a good/bad person. They don't trust each other. But I guess they love each other, both in their own way.

Scott and Emma are both too strong for most writers to create a believable relationship. With shitty writers like Yost and Fraction, Scott just steamrolls her and she's often crying (Yost loves to write her as a sniveling weakling for some reason). In Second Coming, Fraction had Scott interrupt Emma with a curt "Emma shut up" and she weakly backed off and it made me sick. Bendis hasn't written them too well, but I enjoyed his Emma back when he was writing her in the Dark Reign era. But if you get a good writer, Ellis, Carey, Gillen etc. they are one of the best relationships in comics.

Just read about the preview of Thanos' Infinity General team.

... Imagine If Richard Rider was one of them, and Thanos halved worldmind so that there'd a good side that goes to Sam, and a bad side that stays with Richie?

SO GODLIKE.
3AQmK.gif

I'm setting my self up for disappointment.. eh.

All this hate for a character held back just as much, if not more, by her monocular love interest...

Would have been a better character if she went with Wolverine. But that went against the Disney-esque happy couple that Marvel shoved down our collective throats. Their dependency on one another made me want to puke. Like what real world couple do you know acted like Scott and Jean? Shit was depressing to read.

They were like Cloak and Dagger if that couple was written by a 5 year old girl who's parents just explained to her how "magical" marriage is.

Scott and Emma are both too strong for most writers to create a believable relationship. With shitty writers like Yost and Fraction, Scott just steamrolls her and she's often crying (Yost loves to write her as a sniveling weakling for some reason). In Second Coming, Fraction had Scott interrupt Emma with a curt "Emma shut up" and she weakly backed off and it made me sick. Bendis hasn't written them too well, but I enjoyed his Emma back when he was writing her in the Dark Reign era. But if you get a good writer, Ellis, Carey, Gillen etc. they are one of the best relationships in comics.

Honestly I don't even like Ellis' portrayal of them, Scott treats the one person who actually believes in him 100% like complete shit, he's also treating the one person who if ever scorned can and has no problems mindwiping him (pre Phoenix Force obviously). Scott's not really a good relationship type character.

Like I stated, Emma deserves better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Scott was always full of guilt and afraid of Jean's judgement, but when Emma "liberated" him he went a notch too far. It's like he still isn't sure of what to do in the relationship department but in the opposite direction. It can be interesting when done right.

Scott should hook up with Shuri. Someone who will stand by him, but wouldn't hesitate to physically put him in his place should he step outta line.

Shit would be hilarious.

Scott - "Shuri...shut up"
*Shuri punches the shit outta Scott*
Shuri - "Scott I love you, but I'm not Emma, you will not sweep me aside like an ornament."
*Everyone looks away quietly*
*Shuri helps Scott up*

akira28

Would have been a better character if she went with Wolverine. But that went against the Disney-esque happy couple that Marvel shoved down our collective throats. Their dependency on one another made me want to puke. Like what real world couple do you know acted like Scott and Jean? Shit was depressing to read.

They didn't want to see wolverine ruined like Scott. Red head takes the wild out of their billion dollar wild man? He's useless then.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm gonna stop all of y'all hating on Jean Grey right the fuck there, because you fuckers need to get SCHOOLED.

There aren't many X-Folk you know the full name of. Like, there's A Number of them you know because you're a fucking nerd, but mostly it's the big flashy pseudonyms. The Beasts and the Cyclops and the Magnetos and all that. Jean Grey is the exact opposite. Ask anyone about Marvel Girl and they'll tell you "Who the fuck is that, and also, why are you talking to me you gross dweeb?". There's a reason for that. And it's because Jean Grey is one of the most powerful, and therefore most relatable characters in the X-Men franchise, and that's because she's one of its most tragic figures.

Let's take it to the metaphor : she's able to read minds. She knows how people feel. Her whole fucking deal's all about empathy and compassion. All the misery, all the hate, all the fear, all the pain that her fellow X-Men go through, she feels it. And yet she soldiers on, being one of the most valuable assets of the team. And when she can't do it anymore, her love allows her to reach her full potential. In fact, thinking about the love triangle she has with Cyclops and Wolverine is bullshit, because a good writer will tell you that deep down inside, she loves them both.

Because the fact is, she loves everyone.

And that's fucking beautiful, so SHUT UP.

Tizoc

I'm gonna stop all of y'all hating on Jean Grey right the fuck there, because you fuckers need to get SCHOOLED.

There aren't many X-Folk you know the full name of. Like, there's A Number of them you know because you're a fucking nerd, but mostly it's the big flashy pseudonyms. The Beasts and the Cyclops and the Magnetos and all that. Jean Grey is the exact opposite. Ask anyone about Marvel Girl and they'll tell you "Who the fuck is that, and also, why are you talking to me you gross dweeb?". There's a reason for that. And it's because Jean Grey is one of the most powerful, and therefore most relatable characters in the X-Men franchise, and that's because she's one of its most tragic figures.

Let's take it to the metaphor : she's able to read minds. She knows how people feel. Her whole fucking deal's all about empathy and compassion. All the misery, all the hate, all the fear, all the pain that her fellow X-Men go through, she feels it. And yet she soldiers on, being one of the most valuable assets of the team. And when she can't do it anymore, her love allows her to reach her full potential. In fact, thinking about the love triangle she has with Cyclops and Wolverine is bullshit, because a good writer will tell you that deep down inside, she loves them both.

Because the fact, she loves everyone.

Morrison wrote the character spectacularly in his X-Men run.

kswiston

While this is true (and I like Jean), people know Jean Grey by name because that's how she was introduced in the 90s cartoon, and later the X-Men movies. It has nothing to do with how relatable she is. My guess is that she was Jean Grey in the cartoon because they hadn't dealt with the whole Pheonix thing yet, and she hadn't used the Marvel Girl name in a billion years.

Because the fact is, she loves everyone.

While I'm sure you're quite serious, I burst out laughing. I just imagine someone typing this full of anger with Jean posters everywhere. :3

Owzers

No love for The Private Eye #2 then? I've been looking forward to it. Bought both issues, hope they continue to receive enough support/payments to keep it going, really interesting concept.

if this was on comixology it would be an instant purchase for $1, but i truly hate having to go through everyone's personal sites. Same with movie streaming and studios taking their content out of netflix so tehy can each do there horrible streaming themselves. I'll do it eventually today and fight my ipad to get the pdf to load in ibooks because Private Eye #1 was really good, but this is not something i'm willing to do for other books.

dan2026

Morrison's X-men run was probably one of the best ever written.

He did so much with so many characters, Marvel pussied out and backpeddled half of it.

He did introduce one of the greatest X characters of the modern era though.

Fantomex!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom