• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be the best X-book, isn't it?
J6yuErh.jpg

Dysun

Morrison's X-men run was probably one of the best ever written.

He did so much with so many characters, Marvel pussied out and backpeddled half of it.

He did introduce one of the greatest X characters of the modern era though.

Fantomex!

It was sad to see the retcons start right after he left the title
"That wasn't really Magneto guys!"

NEO0MJ

He did so much with so many characters, Marvel pussied out and backpeddled half of it.

Xorn

Fixed!

Actually, I didn't read that story. I was pretty anti X-men back then.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have to disagree on perfect. Scott always undermines her and cuts her short whenever he gets the chance, they've been together for lord knows how long but barely acknowledges that they're a couple. I think AvX pretty much sums up how I see Scott and Emma's relationship in picture form. He treats her like shit and she puts up with it...not sure why exactly. Love I guess.

Jean on the other hand? Man Scott would suck beast off if it mean saving or helping Jean.

Pointing to AvX is like pointing to Elseworlds to explain Batman. BAH!

Tizoc

It was sad to see the retcons start right after he left the title
"That wasn't really Magneto guys!"

I don't care what they say,
Xorn was Magneto all along

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH
For the longest time I wondered how Magneto managed to have Emma learn about 'Xorn's past', when it was all really fabricated, then I realized she was reading it off an object, I always thought she was reading Xorn's mind lol

Fantomex!

One thing I had an issue with was how some characters had an 'attitude'/being cynical like Logan saying how the non superhero-y outfits made him not look like an idiot.
Dunno what the right word to describe it is, but I disliked that about his run, but it's rather minor =P

Yeah. It's the Fantastic Four though that I can't deal with. Damn you Richaaaard!

FF was cool, though.

Read Mark Waid's F4 run bro, it'll give you feels.

kswiston

One thing I had an issue with was how some characters had an 'attitude'/being cynical like Logan saying how the non superhero-y outfits made him not look like an idiot.
Dunno what the right word to describe it is, but I disliked that about his run, but it's rather minor =P

Morrison was trying to revolutionize comics, ditching the silly looking costumes, and replacing them with something that normal people might actually wear. It didn't stick.

Anyone trying to pull off Wolverine's blue and yellow costume in reality does look like a fool though.

Tizoc

Morrison was trying to revolutionize comics, ditching the silly looking costumes, and replacing them with something that normal people might actually wear. It didn't stick.
What NEOMJ said: Wasn't it because of the movie? Well either way their outfits were pretty cool IMO =P
I really need to read Morrison interview's during his New X-Men run, cuz I don't think he was trying to 'revolutionize' anything in his X-Men run, nor do i think he finds the traditional outfits silly. @_@

Is The Living Tribunal still an active character at Marvel? I remember him from the 90s DC/Marvel crossover where he fought the Spectre but in my years of reading marvel comics i've never actually come across him.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm still reading End of Days but Daredevil was the last piece of good will Bendis had from me and I'm done with him completely after this piece of shit.

I dropped that back at #3. Friend of mine told me it starts getting interesting around #5, but can't do it anymore. No more spending money on comics hoping they get interesting 4-5 issues down the line.

Owzers

I dropped that back at #3. Friend of mine told me it starts getting interesting around #5, but can't do it anymore. No more spending money on comics hoping they get interesting 4-5 issues down the line.

second issue came to MU this week, i shied off of pre-ordering the OHC for $20 at dcbs because Bendis.

Lil Gotham #1: Loved the halloween segment, but really didn't like how the thanskgiving one ended. Seemed to almost mock people who
feel bad about the massive turkey slaughter that goes on

kswiston

What NEOMJ said: Wasn't it because of the movie? Well either way their outfits were pretty cool IMO =P
I really need to read Morrison interview's during his New X-Men run, cuz I don't think he was trying to 'revolutionize' anything in his X-Men run, nor do i think he finds the traditional outfits silly. @_@

It's been over 10 years so I am having trouble finding old interviews, but I don't think it was strictly a movie thing. The X-Men movie came out a year before the start of New X-Men, and Marvel was pushing for the costumes to return despite further X-Movies with the leather look:

http://www.popimage.com/content/grant20044.html said:
How do you feel about the use of characters you created after you've gone? Fantomex and Dust for example? Didn't you originally plan to do more with the Dust character?

They can do what they like with them and will, I'm sure. I'd originally intended to have Dust play a more prominent role but in the end, she just didn't fit very well with the way the story was developing into the available page count.

When I planned to continue NEW X-MEN with Scott and Emma as head teachers (this was before the decision to quit, and I'd plotted six issues of 'new direction', following on from issue 154, with the return of the school uniforms etc. The opening story was about the first human student at Xavier's - he gets mercilessly mocked as a throwback by the pupils until it turns out he's the best guitarist anyone has ever heard - so good that his talent might just as well be regarded as a mutant power...and so prejudice is defeated and everyone bursts into song. Gag. If I was doing it now I'd make it more realistic; the new student would be a pedigree hamster who could play the piano like Richard Clayderman but only on the three nights of the full moon) the plan was to have Dust in a very prominent role as one of the new term's intake of students. The X-Men stories are set in an ongoing soap opera continuity so I knew that I could safely leave a few character threads dangling and perhaps help to enrich the franchise. I'm sure the new writers will have plans for her - she has a great power and immense possibility as a character.

So you were going to return the uniforms? That's interesting 'cause when they announced the decision to do so after you left I thought it was a huge step backwards from what you'd done with the characters.

It wasn't my idea; Marvel made the decision to go back to bright superhero style costumes, partly as a way of appeasing licensors - I was asked to find a way to make it convincing and then, in the end, I didn't have to and it became Joss Whedon's job to find a way to make it convincing. Which he's done quite effectively.

frye

It's like... you go in expecting a good "last" DD story and a real ending for the Bendis/Maleev run (since the way the ended was to set up Brubaker/Lark's first arc) but it's not that at all. It's partly the Hush of DD comics, coasting on references to much better stories, and partly a sequel to the first Bendis/Mack story which is pretty shit imo.

Nudull

Banned
This is going to be the best X-book, isn't it?
J6yuErh.jpg

Want. So. Hard.

I've been super-excited for this book all year, and I've been wanting some X-books to read in the meantime, since I haven't read too many. I know there's Whedon's Astonishing, but what else might interest me?

So I haven't read Fables in about a year now but what's going on with it? I remember it was in a slump for awhile but did it ever get back out? I rarely see people talking about it anymore. :(

Owzers

So I haven't read Fables in about a year now but what's going on with it? I remember it was in a slump for awhile but did it ever get back out? I rarely see people talking about it anymore. :(

Slump. it's decent, though i think i am dropping the book now at issue 130.

Owzers

Trinity War might be the first book i buy digitally day one ( or possibly the first three when they drop a buck and the next three day one) all because two of the three books have combo editions available but JLD does not.

Now watch it be terrible :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I love strong female leads in comics, apparently. Didn't even think about it until it was pointed out, but Fearless Defenders, Captain Marvel and Batwoman are among my favorites (Batwoman being tied with Hawkeye for numbero uno). X-Men used to be my favorite book, too, before AvX.

I'm really, really, really excited for the new X-Men book. Like, preordered it and will be buying every variant excited.

It better not suck.

Acid08

Banned
I love strong female leads in comics, apparently. Didn't even think about it until it was pointed out, but Fearless Defenders, Captain Marvel and Batwoman are among my favorites (Batwoman being tied with Hawkeye for numbero uno). X-Men used to be my favorite book, too, before AvX.

I'm really, really, really excited for the new X-Men book. Like, preordered it and will be buying every variant excited.

It better not suck.
Wood is always solid at the very least. I feel like he doesn't excel often but he writes good stuff.

Nudull

Banned
Wood is always solid at the very least. I feel like he doesn't excel often but he writes good stuff.

The only other Wood book I've read is his current Star Wars ongoing, which I admit is pretty dull outside of the stellar character moments, but I still trust that he'll do good with his X-Men.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The only other Wood book I've read is his current Star Wars ongoing, which I admit is pretty dull outside of the stellar character moments, but I still trust that he'll do good with his X-Men.

Both Northlanders and Conan have been entertaining so far. I've also heard great things about DMZ from Wood.

Wait what now?
Last ish.
Apparently time-stop girl has the hots for ol' One-Eye. Between her, Magik, and now the Cuckoos (right?), Emma's quickly being surrounded by younger, fresher girls who may go after her former man.

And not a red hair in sight.

diaspora

Last ish.
Apparently time-stop girl has the hots for ol' One-Eye. Between her, Magik, and now the Cuckoos (right?), Emma's quickly being surrounded by younger, fresher girls who may go after her former man.

Scott's
building an anime harem.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Last ish.

Oh, thought it was something more from a preview or something.

Never. Again.

Just got done redeeming my Free Marvel Digital Copy codes, from a stack of books going back to last year... 92 comics in total. Took roughly two hours to redeem them all, and had a problem with 5 of them which I've emailed customer service about. Next time, I won't let the stack get so big.

Sure I won't. :rolleyes

kswiston

Scott going after one (or more) of the cuckoos would be hilarious. He can be the Woody Allen of the Marvel universe!

Never. Again.

Just got done redeeming my Free Marvel Digital Copy codes, from a stack of books going back to last year... 92 comics in total. Took roughly two hours to redeem them all, and had a problem with 5 of them which I've emailed customer service about. Next time, I won't let the stack get so big.

Could always distribute them in here and let us take all that trouble off your hands.

Owzers

Never. Again.

I redeem them before putting them in their bag/boards again, as i get them with bags/boards from dcbs. Otherwise if i sell my issues on ebay i'd end up forgetting to redeem the code Xo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom