• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Mark Waid Flash
Geoff Johns Flash, Teen Titans, Green Lantern
Peter David Supergirl, Atlantis Chronicles
Keith Giffen JLA, Lobo, Legion
Grant Morrison JLA, Batman stuff, All Star Superman, Animal Man, everything
Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Gotham Central, Detective Comics
Mike Grell Green Arrow
Alan Moore Swamp Thing
any Power Girl that Amanda Conner drew
Tomasi Nightwing, Batman and Robin
Scott Snyder Detective Comics
Bryan Miller Batgirl

That's a solid list but for Green Arrow I'd also add Kevin Smith's Quiver. It's the best Green Arrow anything I've read and has some great connections to the DC Universe at large, like Sandman.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So I finished Avengers Arena vol. 1 and, well, my feelings are somewhat mixed. Granted, it's pretty quality, but it still has a gimmicky/shock value stench to it.
I hate that Mettle had to go, though is it too late to hope that Nico and Chase make it?
Anyway, it seems that those who are loving it are still loving it, though, so should I just carry on?

The issue right after that is sogood. (But fill-in art)

deleted

To give some context: I'm not really into ongoing comic series. I enjoyed The Dark Knight returns, tried Planet Hulk and WW Hulk and found them ridiculous and am reading through The Killing Joke right now which I also enjoyed. Most of the time, I am more entertained through the synopsis then the actual comic.

After some threads in here, I bought the first Issue of Hawkeye though - This is the stuff I want to read! Great Art and nothing too self serious in the stories - good writing too.
But after the first three stories, the art style changed for the worse and the story itself wasn't too good either - the videotape stuff.
Will they get back to the first three issues in style and substance? The next compendium releases in July in Germany and I'll pre-order right now, if it gets back to the good stuff.

ReiGun

If nothing else, Wonder Woman: Earth One is going to be gorgeous.

wonder-woman-earth-one-dc.jpg

Mafro

Is UA readable, now? I stopped around issue 3 or 4. Couldn't take that shit anymore.
It's been readable from the start, but the current arc with the Apocalypse Twins is much better than the previous one. It's pretty much a direct continuation of Uncanny X-Force's Dark Angel Saga.

After some threads in here, I bought the first Issue of Hawkeye though - This is the stuff I want to read! Great Art and nothing too self serious in the stories - good writing too.
But after the first three stories, the art style changed for the worse and the story itself wasn't too good either - the videotape stuff.
Will they get back to the first three issues in style and substance? The next compendium releases in July in Germany and I'll pre-order right now, if it gets back to the good stuff.
Yes. It will. Javier Pulido did the art for issue 4 and 5. Aja is back with issue 6.

It's been readable from the start, but the current arc with the Apocalypse Twins is much better than the previous one. It's pretty much a direct continuation of Uncanny X-Force's Dark Angel Saga.

Except if there was a bunch of cheesy narration and Thor blabbing away on every damn page. I may be in be minority, but all of Thors dialogue drives me insane. Jesus, shuteth the fuck upeth.

tim1138

It's the same style and quality as the other Justice League figures. I was originally solicited by being made by Mattel, so I was hesitant to get it but it is by DC Direct. Can't wait for my Vibe figure this summer!

That Vibe figure looks sweet, isn't that a two pack with the Flash?

Ephemeris

is this legit?

Yup. I signed up for a bunch of books last year (july-ish) and it's been smooth sailing.

Looks like the Invincible Bat Cow's gonna get a story:

“Happy to announce that Ethan Van Sciver and I will be doing the first Bat Cow solo story in the just announced Batman Incorporated Special coming this August!” DiDio told fans. “We plan to milk this for all its worth.”

If nothing else, Wonder Woman: Earth One is going to be gorgeous.

wonder-woman-earth-one-dc.jpg

Delicious.

Necrovex

Whelp, guess I'll be picking up this Earth One edition then. Any estimated release date?

PayPal finally fixed my account, so I have been thinking about picking the paperbacks of Hawkeye and Manhattan Project. My friend lent me Saga, which I plan to read after I finish Nausicaa.

Also, will Locke and Key be six volumes total? I've been planning to start reading that soon too.

tim1138

Whelp, guess I'll be picking up this Earth One edition then. Any estimated release date?

PayPal finally fixed my account, so I have been thinking about picking the paperbacks of Hawkeye and Manhattan Project. My friend lent me Saga, which I plan to read after I finish Nausicaa.

Also, will Locke and Key be six volumes total? I've been planning to start reading that soon too.

I think next year for WW book. No actual date has been given.

Hey just wanted to say thanks to SpiderJerusalem and others for the DC recommends a page back when I asked. Tossing those on a list and seeing what is available from the library system first.

Dysun

Holy shit this new Wolverine book by Cornell and Davis is awful. I'm out

UXF 4 cant believe they still haven't had Fantomex interact with Betsy even when they are like 50 feet away

Hey just wanted to say thanks to SpiderJerusalem and others for the DC recommends a page back when I asked. Tossing those on a list and seeing what is available from the library system first.

I'm horrifically biased. But as a massive Legion of Super Heroes fan, you should also consider the "Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes" trade. Gives you a great look at a Superman who doesn't have his powers and why he is still an inspiration to humanity a 1000 years in the future.

I'm horrifically biased. But as a massive Legion of Super Heroes fan, you should also consider the "Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes" trade. Gives you a great look at a Superman who doesn't have his powers and why he is still an inspiration to humanity a 1000 years in the future.

Cool, I'll nab that as well. The only Super (Girl / Man / Woman / Dog / Boy) anything that I've read was All-Star Superman, so it's all fresh to me.

tim1138

Cool, I'll nab that as well. The only Super (Girl / Man / Woman / Dog / Boy) anything that I've read was All-Star Superman, so it's all fresh to me.

I dunno if it was on your list, but check out Superman Red Son as well. It's like the only thing good Mark Millar ever wrote, well mostly wrote since Grant Morrison did the ending.

snorggy

So I started reading Daredevil from issue 24 i think (whenever the Marvel Now run started) due to recommendations in this thread and I am in love. Is it worth going back to the beginning? Am I missing any cool story arcs?

diaspora

I feel like that outfit wasn't thought all the way through though. Imagine that jacket in the summer (whoever came up with that has never been through a NYC summer). Heat stroke would be a given. It'd be fine in winter, but other than that its a hospital trip waiting to happen.
Spock wears carbodium armor, just run with it.

gerg

So anyone here read Lost Girls? Just finished it myself and not sure what to think of it. Would probably need to re-read it to be able to form a stronger opinion.

Also, what do people think of Marshal Law? I saw a DC collection of it on Saturday, and it seemed interesting.

There's so much Marvel and DC stuff that I'm sure is worth reading (and that I'd love to read), but it's all so expensive, and I can't help knowing that I'm never going to catch up with current continuity. The first collection of Saga was amazingly dirt-cheap though: only £7.50 for the first six issues!

JCreasy

Garbage 90s T&A bad-girl character gets garbage 90s-esque T&A bad-girl redesign. And given that Gaiman is co-writing at least one arc in the book featuring her, does anyone else find it strange that, AFAIK, he hasn't given one interview on the subject?

The first opening panels of Angela #1 were awesome. I always thought she had a great dark sense of humor.

I am super excited about her coming back to comics. I wish Gaiman could write everything she appears in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom