• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks. Is there some big old list of "best DC runs" floating around online somewhere?

Getting into comics this last year or two and I've so far stuck mostly to Marvel as I'm just more familiar with the universe. I picked up a few random DC things that I found at the library (Blackest Night stuff and some Grant Morrison JLAs) and they were confusing as all get out, I really didn't enjoy them that much. Too many unfamiliar characters and too many multiple versions of the same characters floating around. Aside from that I've pretty much just read some of the big Batman runs (Killing Joke, Frank Miller stuff). Where should I be starting here? Seems like the big event runs aren't really worth it for someone not really into the DC Universe, so I'm thinking I should try some more focused single character arcs. I guess I've read (and loved) Sandman as well but that kinda seems outside of DC standard.

On the other hand I feel like all the Marvel stuff that I've been reading is just killing it in the art department recently. Art / drawing is what got me into reading comics a while ago and I just love some of the stuff I'm seeing. Alex Maleev on Moon Knight, Olivier Coipel in A vs. X, Stuart Immonen on All New X-Men. Stories I can give or take, but I love what I've been seeing recently.

Acid08

Banned
Hey folks. Is there some big old list of "best DC runs" floating around online somewhere?

Getting into comics this last year or two and I've so far stuck mostly to Marvel as I'm just more familiar with the universe. I picked up a few random DC things that I found at the library (Blackest Night stuff and some Grant Morrison JLAs) and they were confusing as all get out, I really didn't enjoy them that much. Too many unfamiliar characters and too many multiple versions of the same characters floating around. Aside from that I've pretty much just read some of the big Batman runs (Killing Joke, Frank Miller stuff). Where should I be starting here? Seems like the big event runs aren't really worth it for someone not really into the DC Universe, so I'm thinking I should try some more focused single character arcs. I guess I've read (and loved) Sandman as well but that kinda seems outside of DC standard.

On the other hand I feel like all the Marvel stuff that I've been reading is just killing it in the art department recently. Art / drawing is what got me into reading comics a while ago and I just love some of the stuff I'm seeing. Alex Maleev on Moon Knight, Olivier Coipel in A vs. X, Stuart Immonen on All New X-Men. Stories I can give or take, but I love what I've been seeing recently.
GrandHarrier just got a stiffy.

tim1138

My favorite Land Iron Man panel was the alien broad giving him drinks in space was the exact same broad he traced in the first issue. Four dollar book ladies and gentlemen.

And why am I supposed to be excited for Angela and Gaiman? Gaiman is just a literary renowned and accepted Bendis.

Damn Rafa dropping bombs in here.

Hey, where's the pictures of that Simon Baz figure, brah?

kswiston

It really depends on what character or teams you are interested in.

Do you like single hero titles? Team books? Interested in the World's Finest or something more obscure?

I wouldn't mind some pre-nu52 DC recommendations actually. I'll try to list some stuff I have already read:

- Morrison's JLA, All Star Superman, and Batman saga
- Waid's JLA and Kingdom Come
- Some of Justice League International
- John's Flash, Green Lantern, and JSA
- Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and a bunch of the tie in books/minis.
- Kevin Smith's and Judd Winick's Green Arrow
- A bunch of assorted Batman stuff including Cataclysm era Batman, Year One, Year 100, TDKR, the Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Snyder's Detective Run, and some odds and ends.
- Gotham Central
- Most of the notable stuff from Vertigo (not really looking for Vertigo recommendations)

I'm forgetting a few things, I'm sure.

How far back? lol

Mark Waid Flash
Geoff Johns Flash, Teen Titans, Green Lantern
Peter David Supergirl, Atlantis Chronicles
Keith Giffen JLA, Lobo, Legion
Grant Morrison JLA, Batman stuff, All Star Superman, Animal Man, everything
Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Gotham Central, Detective Comics
Mike Grell Green Arrow
Alan Moore Swamp Thing
any Power Girl that Amanda Conner drew
Tomasi Nightwing, Batman and Robin
Scott Snyder Detective Comics
Bryan Miller Batgirl

Thats my quickie off the top of my head thing

edit: oh you read some of that
I'm probably a bad at recomending though

frye

I wouldn't mind some pre-nu52 DC recommendations actually. I'll try to list some stuff I have already read:

- Morrison's JLA, All Star Superman, and Batman saga
- Waid's JLA and Kingdom Come
- Some of Justice League International
- John's Flash, Green Lantern, and JSA
- Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and a bunch of the tie in books/minis.
- Kevin Smith's and Judd Winick's Green Arrow
- A bunch of assorted Batman stuff including Cataclysm era Batman, Year One, Year 100, TDKR, the Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Snyder's Detective Run, and some odds and ends.
- Gotham Central
- Most of the notable stuff from Vertigo (not really looking for Vertigo recommendations)

I'm forgetting a few things, I'm sure.

Have you read Superman: Birthright? That's the best modern Superman origin tbh. Waid could've been killing Action Comics or something right now if Didio wasn't such a shit.

Kelly/Mahnke on JLA followed Morrison and Waid and it's dope as hell too if you can track it down.

How far back? lol

Mark Waid Flash
Geoff Johns Flash, Teen Titans, Green Lantern
Peter David Supergirl, Atlantis Chronicles
Keith Giffen JLA, Lobo, Legion
Grant Morrison JLA, Batman stuff, All Star Superman, Animal Man, everything
Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Gotham Central, Detective Comics
Mike Grell Green Arrow
Alan Moore Swamp Thing
any Power Girl that Amanda Conner drew
Tomasi Nightwing, Batman and Robin
Scott Snyder Detective Comics
Bryan Miller Batgirl

Thats my quickie off the top of my head thing

edit: oh you read some of that
I'm probably a bad at recomending though

Judd Winick's green arrow was horrible. Did you mean Brad Meltzer's arc?

kswiston

Have you read Superman: Birthright? That's the best modern Superman origin tbh. Waid could've been killing Action Comics or something right now if Didio wasn't such a shit.

Kelly/Mahnke on JLA followed Morrison and Waid and it's dope as hell too if you can track it down.

No, I haven't read that. Was that one of the many Superman Origin re-tellings? Maybe I will try to track it down.

I wish DC had their own version of Marvel Unlimited for older stuff.

Was Johns' Teen Titans run comparable in quality to his (Wally West) Flash, JSA, and Green Lantern stuff?

frye

No, I haven't read that. Was that one of the many Superman Origin re-tellings? Maybe I will try to track it down.

Was Johns' Teen Titans run comparable in quality to his (Wally West) Flash, JSA, and Green Lantern stuff?

Yeah, it is. DC did another one a bit before the reboot (Secret Origin) but it's not as good.

Johns Titans is the best Teen Titans book in the last 20+ years but that isn't really saying much and it falls apart by the end.

Uncanny Avengers and Thor 8, so damn good.

Cassaday off UA has been the best thing to happen to that book and 3 Thor's, I cannot wait.

Speaking of Young Avengers, the last issue was pretty fun. Loved the implication that Hulkling is just a figment of Wiccans imagination. Hope that turns out to be true and their relationship crumbles spectacularly.

Young Avengers is teetering on the edge of trying-too-hard "we're aware of tumblr and internet" meta-cute-shit, but it's young characters seem a good excuse for that, and it's flying by with so many energetic McKelvie layouts and witty Gillen dialog, it doesn't really matter too much.

frye

Young Avengers is teetering on the edge of trying-too-hard "we're aware of tumblr and internet" meta-cute-shit, but it's young characters seem a good excuse for that, and it's flying by with so many energetic McKelvie layouts and witty Gillen dialog, it doesn't really matter too much.

Yeah, I kind of agree? The worst worst worst is that reacp page which is why I always turn to the first page. I'm still pretty into it tho.

kswiston

Yeah, it is. DC did another one a bit before the reboot (Secret Origin) but it's not as good.

Johns Titans is the best Teen Titans book in the last 20+ years but that isn't really saying much and it falls apart by the end.

Thanks for the answers. Waid is good more often than he is not, so I'll try to track down Birthright.

Was Superman:Birthright ever recognized as canon by any of the comics that came out after it's release? Seems like that origin was quietly swept under the rug after DC hyped it up as the new definitive origin.

diaspora

I wonder if Spock being spock destroys this eventuality:

iAVWVxK.jpg

Tizoc

What's the best comic starring Cyclops?

Morrison and Joss Whedon's X-Men runs.
There was also a Cyclops miniseries by I think Brian K. Vaughn (sp).
Oh and I recall he was given a jetpack by Matt Fraction but I forgot which series that is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A part of me wishes that all roads lead there.

If only for the outfit.

I feel like that outfit wasn't thought all the way through though. Imagine that jacket in the summer (whoever came up with that has never been through a NYC summer). Heat stroke would be a given. It'd be fine in winter, but other than that its a hospital trip waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom