• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Azz ebbs and flows on the puns. Sometimes, the characters will just talk normal a whole issue and it'll be cool. Then, other times you get issues full of shit like

"There is a grave danger."

"Then tell where it is and I will put it in its grave."

And you're just left like o_O. WW is a decent book though. It actually manages to be about Wonder Woman sometimes now!

"There is a grave danger."

"Then tell I will put it in its grave."

sF9wNy6.gif

dan2026

Wonder Woman is one of the best books of the new 52.

It actually makes me like Wonder Woman and her world.
So it must be doing something right.

Probably not totally accurate but: Macfarlane was using the characters they cocreated without paying Gaiman royalties or something - Gaiman sued, won. Later, Macfarlane created some knockoffs for toys, more court battles - Gaiman apparently owns everything and gives Angela to Marvel (aka the company Todd left to form Image)

The selling to Marvel thing kinda leaves Gaiman in a bad light if you ask me.

Owzers

shieldimage.jpg

hype died a little on the superficial scale after seeing the cast pic, it looks like a CW cast and not a shield agency. Maybe they're all vampires too?

Tizoc

I had to drop WW, the puns, the PUNS...they burn my soul.

"Hello" "Hell low indeed" *closes book, throws it across the room*

WW is DC's best book atm IMO, and is prob. the ONLY Nu52 book I look forward to, despite how much I hate the retcon.
The puns never bothered me either, heck I never saw them as puns.

Note to self: Catch up on TMNT already...

Tizoc

So is Captain Britain and MI13 the only series to ever have Blade written very well?
He's had many series over the years but I've not heard a lot of good things about them.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Ok Comic Gaf, recommend me something, I've just finishing an epic run of all invincible to date and loved it, previously I've really enjoyed locke and key, IDWs TMNT, Walking Dead.

I really want something like InvicibleWalking Dead with a consistent storyline throughout and a lot of issues out for me to knuckle down into. It's killing me after reading all the above stuff and now having to wait monthly for my fix, only for it to last 20 mins of reading.

EDIT> I've read Y The Last Man too, enjoyed it but it didn't hook me as consistently as the above and it kinda fell apart at the end.
Hey! Preacher, Sandman, 100 Bullets and Irredeemable are all great recommendations. Bone is great too if you like a little fantasy mixed with comedy. You could try The Unwritten or Fables (for the first 75 issues) for literary references in your comics. If you liked Y you could try Ex Machina too.

Anyone with a print copy of Wolverine #1 by Cornell/Davis try and redeem their digital code? Customer Service sent me an email with new codes for the issues I had problems redeeming earlier in the week, and they all worked except Wolverine #1. In fact, the new code did the same thing as the code from the print copy: it showed as successfully redeemed, but when you look for the issue in the My Comics tab under 'Wolverine vol. 5', it doesn't show up.

Anyone with a print copy of Wolverine #1 by Cornell/Davis try and redeem their digital code? Customer Service sent me an email with new codes for the issues I had problems redeeming earlier in the week, and they all worked except Wolverine #1. In fact, the new code did the same thing as the code from the print copy: it showed as successfully redeemed, but when you look for the issue in the My Comics tab under 'Wolverine vol. 5', it doesn't show up.

Pretty sure mine worked. I didn't ever read it but I think DLed it.

WW is DC's best book atm IMO, and is prob. the ONLY Nu52 book I look forward to, despite how much I hate the retcon.
The puns never bothered me either, heck I never saw them as puns.

WW and Batwoman are the only DC books left that I really care about. Unless you count Vertigo as well, then you can add American Vampire and Unwritten to that short list as well.

Bendis probably doesn't realise they exist.

Uhm no, it'S worse. He has Tony call Brian a loser on page.

I think this should have been intended to be read as in "this is serious shit that goes down here!" and not "UK heroes suck!", because otherwise it would not fly with other recent stories about Tony and Brian's long established role as a guardian of the Multiverse.

(And Tony has been shown to have found respect and support form the international super hero community as he had the help of the Russian, Chinese and Philipino hero communities over the course of Matt Fraction's run om IIM)

I really hate that Marvel does not do more with it's international heroes... compared to DC they have a broad range of heroes all around the world and they do not even cameo when appropriate.

Anyone get Valiant titles digitally?

A few questions:
a) Shadowman #0, does it come with the whole double page cover?
b) X-O Manowar #1, does it come with this awesome Rian Hughes infographic stuff?
c) In general, does it include all the variant covers like DC's books do?

Thanks in advance, X-O #1 was bomb-ass.

Sincerely,
Benjies

Captain N

So I started off back when the new 52 hit and wanted to really get into comics. I've been going mainly Digital..until now. I decided to go all paper for now. Where's a good place to get a long box and some bag and board?

Thanos Rising is going to be an instant classic. Marvel are going to sell a boat load of graphic novels ins two years.

And the brahs at Bergren Street Press need to print more of Copra.

I had a similar problem trying to redeem by Nova 1 when it came out to try contacting comiXology or Marvel online support. Maybe you'll get further than i did.

Necrovex

Thanks a lot.

I appreciate those answers as well. The TMNT thread that came up yesterday reignited my interest in the turtle crew. Work is finally giving me some hours, so I'll have a little bit of spending cash soon.

Right now, I'm eyeballing Hawkeye volume 1 and Manhattan Project volume 1 on Amazon. I know everyone loves the former, but I haven't seen too many people talk about the latter. How is MP?

Acid08

Banned
I appreciate those answers as well. The TMNT thread that came up yesterday reignited my interest in the turtle crew. Work is finally giving me some hours, so I'll have a little bit of spending cash soon.

Right now, I'm eyeballing Hawkeye volume 1 and Manhattan Project volume 1 on Amazon. I know everyone loves the former, but I haven't seen too many people talk about the latter. How is MP?
MP is one of the finest on goings right now.

Necrovex

I have one more thing to ask, I have been sticking with DC and indie stuff for the past couple of months. And I am interested in moving to Marvel comics. My friend is in love with Marvel, and he constantly buy their stuff on a weekly basis. So I plan to borrow a lot of Marvel stuff from him.

Anyway, which stuff should I read? And I wouldn't mind learning about the continuity either. I know I should read Old Man Logan, but that's all I really know about when it comes to Marvel. I have also read the newer Daredevil stuff when I was in high school (around '07-'08).

Tizoc

Uhm no, it'S worse. He has Tony call Brian a loser on page.

I think this should have been intended to be read as in "this is serious shit that goes down here!" and not "UK heroes suck!", because otherwise it would not fly with other recent stories about Tony and Brian's long established role as a guardian of the Multiverse.

(And Tony has been shown to have found respect and support form the international super hero community as he had the help of the Russian, Chinese and Philipino hero communities over the course of Matt Fraction's run om IIM)

I really hate that Marvel does not do more with it's international heroes... compared to DC they have a broad range of heroes all around the world and they do not even cameo when appropriate.

Uh Brian and his gang fought hard during the Skrull Invasion, how quickly that is forgotten and neglected by Marvel and the Marvel U. =/

Info about Amy Reeders new series she wants to launch out of Kickstarter. http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...don-montclare-ignite-rocket-girl-kickstarter/.

On the one hand it is Amy Reeder, who is one of my favorite artist. But she is teaming with that brah from that Halloween Eve one shot. That guy can not write at all, that story was an absolute bore and had absolutely no story structure. I've read better unused "Are Yiu Afraid of the Dark" scripts than that. Absolutely awful piece of shit. What should I do brahs?

NEO0MJ

Anyway, which stuff should I read? And I wouldn't mind learning about the continuity either. I know I should read Old Man Logan, but that's all I really know about when it comes to Marvel. I have also read the newer Daredevil stuff when I was in high school (around '07-'08).

While I have yet to read it, the new Daredevil run by Mark Waid is supposed to be pretty good. Another on-going is FF, I really like that. If you want something that's pretty Dark there's Punisher Max. Some people might suggest next wave but I think you need to have a good background on marvel in order to really appreciate it.
Oh, and the Immortal Iron Fist run by Ed Brubaker. Just buy the first three volumes, though. I didn't read it yet but people really like that run.

Acid08

Banned
While I have yet to read it, the new Daredevil run by Mark Waid is supposed to be pretty good. Another on-going is FF, I really like that. If you want something that's pretty Dark there's Punisher Max. Some people might suggest next wave but I think you need to have a good background on marvel in order to really appreciate it.
Oh, and the Immortal Iron Fist run by Ed Brubaker. Just buy the firstt three volumes, though. I didn't read it yet but people really like that run.
Eh all of IIF is at least decent. I'm a Foreman hater but his art was okay in it and I thought it wrapped the story up nicely.

The first three volumes are something special though.

I have one more thing to ask, I have been sticking with DC and indie stuff for the past couple of months. And I am interested in moving to Marvel comics. My friend is in love with Marvel, and he constantly buy their stuff on a weekly basis. So I plan to borrow a lot of Marvel stuff from him.

Stuff still going

FF
Daredevil
Hawkeye
All New/Uncanny X-men
X-Factor
Journey into Mystery (maybe?)

older stuff

Priest - Black Panther
Slott - She-Hulk
Bendis - Daredevil
Remender - Uncanny X-Force
Morrison - New-Xmen
Whedon - Astonishing X-men
Bendis - Alias
Waid - Fantastic Four
Hickman - Fantastic Four/FF
Runaways
Incredible Herc
Pak's Hulk stuff was good
Avengers Forever
Infinity Gauntlet

way back

Peter David Hulk
Claremont Uncanny X-men
Miller Daredevil

Theres some.

So in case anyone else was wondering, Valiant stuff doesn't come with the variants when you get the digital copies. :(

I guess maybe they're in the trades but I'll probably just stick with the digital editions and then look at the variants on the internet whenever I feel the urge.

Like this one.

hq1h7P9.jpg

:0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom