• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
shieldimage.jpg

hype died a little on the superficial scale after seeing the cast pic, it looks like a CW cast and not a shield agency. Maybe they're all vampires too?

wtf is it me or do they all look 5'5, agents of shorties.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So in case anyone else was wondering, Valiant stuff doesn't come with the variants when you get the digital copies. :(

I guess maybe they're in the trades but I'll probably just stick with the digital editions and then look at the variants on the internet whenever I feel the urge.

Like this one.

hq1h7P9.jpg

:0

I gotta read shadow man. That shit looks hot

Owzers

I think I've heard praise for both Uncanny Avengers and Uncanny X-Force... which is better if you could only choose one?

I too say Remender Uncanny X-Force then Uncanny Avengers, or just wing it and go with Uncanny Avengers. Most of the UXF Remender recommendation is based on how good it is, not just with continuity stuff.

I've read the new UXF #1-3 and i'm not liking it so far, it's fairly extreeeeeeeeme.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hahaha that Shield show looks downright terrible. Marvel, where is my 70s Heroes for Hire series?
Good kind of terrible imo! That clip doesn't show a lot but I was expecting something much worse all things considered. Hopefully it's the right amount of self-aware.

Wool

I've read the new UXF #1-3 and i'm not liking it so far, it's fairly extreeeeeeeeme.

What does that mean? I've been thinking about picking it up. I need something besides just Uncanny X-Men out of the X-Men family. It isn't making a lot of sense reading it by itself, I feel like I'm missing a lot of things that must happen in other comics.

Owzers

What does that mean? I've been thinking about picking it up. I need something besides just Uncanny X-Men out of the X-Men family. It isn't making a lot of sense reading it by itself, I feel like I'm missing a lot of things that must happen in other comics.

You could always read All New X-Men if you like Uncanny. Or you can wait for Brian Woods' X-Men book coming soon.

When i say UXF is fairly extreeeeeeeme i mean there's a lot of action and some blocked out swearing but it's not that interesting.

You could always read All New X-Men if you like Uncanny. Or you can wait for Brian Woods' X-Men book coming soon.

When i say UXF is fairly extreeeeeeeme i mean there's a lot of action and some blocked out swearing but it's not that interesting.
Brah it's mutant ninja noir. With all sorts of cool colors and Puck. Sucks that Garney is moving on to some other Avengers book and we will be stuck with Dexter Soy.

strobogo

Banned
Can someone explain to me the New 52? I'm doing a little bit of reading up on it and it sounds like a huge mess. Particularly everything related to Batman. So, it is a reboot of everything except for Batman, who now has all of his history crammed into 5 years? But then, a lot of the Bat Family members did get reboots, so are they just erased from all the stories of Batman that still are in continuity? And if Batman's history is still legit, what about all of his interactions with the JLA and whatnot? And then some writers say fuck it and write as if nothing has changed? And 2 years in they're already retconning stuff?

Is it the main universe now? Are books still written for the other ones?

Can someone explain to me the New 52? I'm doing a little bit of reading up on it and it sounds like a huge mess. Particularly everything related to Batman. So, it is a reboot of everything except for Batman, who now has all of his history crammed into 5 years? But then, a lot of the Bat Family members did get reboots, so are they just erased from all the stories of Batman that still are in continuity? And if Batman's history is still legit, what about all of his interactions with the JLA and whatnot? And then some writers say fuck it and write as if nothing has changed? And 2 years in they're already retconning stuff?

Just dont worry about it. DC doesnt even know, you can read the books without all that bullshit, they stand on their own.

george_us

Anyone know where I can pick up Annihilation Book 1 and Annihilation Conquest Book 1 for less than $30 each? I was just re-reading The Thanos Imperative today and got the itch for more Cosmic Marvel. Annihilation Book 2, 3 and Conquest Book 2 are on their way from Amazon for the low price of $34. Couldn't find Annihilation Book 1 or Conquest 1 for less than $40 though.

You're better off not trying to figure it out and just read the stories honestly. DC doesn't even know wtf they're doing with it. So what hope is there for us the readers to know?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It is the main universe and yes it is a huge mess. None of it makes any sense. Just assume the Nu52 never happened when reading Batman and you'll be fine.

Anyone know where I can pick up Annihilation Book 1 and Annihilation Conquest Book 1 for less than $30 each? I was just re-reading The Thanos Imperative today and got the itch for more Cosmic Marvel. Annihilation Book 2, 3 and Conquest Book 2 are on their way from Amazon for the low price of $34. Couldn't find Annihilation Book 1 or Conquest 1 for less than $40 though.

Digital Edition?

strobogo

Banned
So DC basically did their version of Ultimate Universe, but made it their main and only one, and then couldn't even get everything on the same page even in a full scale reboot? Can't wait for them to try JL and spin off movies.

Owzers

So DC basically did their version of Ultimate Universe, but made it their main and only one, and then couldn't even get everything on the same page even in a full scale reboot? Can't wait for them to try JL and spin off movies.

And they also created Earth One to have a new universe to tell origin stories with, since they didn't bother doing so with their New 52 reboot...

My hate for DC's new 52 runs deep, but they still put out a few good books that i'll read on their merits despite continuity/company missteps. Wonder Woman is at the top.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And they also created Earth One to have a new universe to tell origin stories with, since they didn't bother doing so with their New 52 reboot...

My hate for DC's new 52 runs deep, but they still put out a few good books that i'll read on their merits despite continuity/company missteps. Wonder Woman is at the top.

Don't forget Batwoman.

I won't stop talking about the book until they make 3 movies and an ongoing series about it and it's selling millions of copies every month.

strobogo

Banned

What? There is a separate universe just for the origin stories of another universe?

LOL, Gambit artist Clay Mann posted something on his tumblr page a short while ago, and people are FREAKING. OUT. :D

What he posted.

Link

Fake? ...Yyyyyyyyyyeah, I'm gonna go with fake.

so pixie
that weird green mutant from waxtm
x-23
gambit
dust
and three other randoms?

EDIT: tbh I didn't even notice rockslide was there, I've never heard of Surge either though... the one with face painting and the other one with metal skin could possibly be Husk.

Injustice #17:
That was kind of stupid.

Walking Dead #110:
RAWR. I liked it.

Is there any way to start the new Marvel run of Iron Man on the cheap?

People blow this stuff way out of proportion.

Why do you ask? Because if you look at any comic universe, you'll find stuff that doesn't make sense, continuity that doesn't quite add up. This was true of pre-new 52 DC. It's true of Marvel. Both companies would just tweak or redo origin stories that suddenly made previous stories of characters make no sense. (Re: Stuff like Tony Stark's origin now involving stuff like Afghanistan)

Heck, DC's continuity was a mess after Crisis on Infinite Earths, but people just accepted it and moved on. Power Girl's origin shifted from being the Supergirl of Earth 2, to being an Atlantean, to being a refuge from a world that never existed. But that doesn't stop her from being a fun character with fun stories.

If people can get over COIE and One More Day, why can't they get over New 52? It really makes no sense.

Nudull

Banned
No one wants Ultimate Comics Spider-Man this week? That's one of the few I actually want to get on Wednesday.

I've been wanting to try out the book with the last issue, but couldn't due to budget. Still, I'm curious about the current arc, so I may try again.

JEKKI

trying to jump into Valiant!! spent like $40 this weekend on these lol

4d3b2cf6bb9611e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg

and coincidentally, comicolgy has all the XO Manowars up to the one I bought on sale!!

so there goes another $10!! lol. at least I know which series to start reading first now =P

Captain N

I've been wanting to try out the book with the last issue, but couldn't due to budget. Still, I'm curious about the current arc, so I may try again.

This new issue is starting a whole new storyline of sorts. The whole Spider-Man No More and next issue will be One Year Later.

strobogo

Banned
People blow this stuff way out of proportion.

Why do you ask? Because if you look at any comic universe, you'll find stuff that doesn't make sense, continuity that doesn't quite add up. This was true of pre-new 52 DC. It's true of Marvel. Both companies would just tweak or redo origin stories that suddenly made previous stories of characters make no sense. (Re: Stuff like Tony Stark's origin now involving stuff like Afghanistan)

Heck, DC's continuity was a mess after Crisis on Infinite Earths, but people just accepted it and moved on. Power Girl's origin shifted from being the Supergirl of Earth 2, to being an Atlantean, to being a refuge from a world that never existed. But that doesn't stop her from being a fun character with fun stories.

If people can get over COIE and One More Day, why can't they get over New 52? It really makes no sense.

I ask because I stumbled over it in a link hole and it seemed like a complete mess. I haven't read anything recent (I read all of Civil War about a year and a half ago. I think that is the most recent of anything I've read). Why did everyone but Batman (and only some of his cast) and Green Lantern (and only specific ones) get rebooted? And why did DC scrap everything and start over instead of just making it a side project like the Ultimate Universe? And how could they do a reboot of everything, but not get the writers on the same page to start from? It seems very...bungled. And within 2 years, things are already getting messy enough for the retcons to start. When they started from a completely clean slate just 2 years ago. Are the editors at DC the opposite of Marvel where they don't give a fuck and step off completely?

frye

I ask because I stumbled over it in a link hole and it seemed like a complete mess. I haven't read anything recent (I read all of Civil War about a year and a half ago. I think that is the most recent of anything I've read). Why did everyone but Batman (and only some of his cast) and Green Lantern (and only specific ones) get rebooted? And why did DC scrap everything and start over instead of just making it a side project like the Ultimate Universe? And how could they do a reboot of everything, but not get the writers on the same page to start from? It seems very...bungled. And within 2 years, things are already getting messy enough for the retcons to start. When they started from a completely clean slate just 2 years ago. Are the editors at DC the opposite of Marvel where they don't give a fuck and step off completely?

1) Batman and Green Lantern had their continuity somewhat intact because they were in the middle of long runs (by Morrison and Johns respectively) and, more importantly, they actually sold.

2) They did their reboot thingy because comics not named Batman and Green Lantern did not sell.

3) But since the same people that got DC into the state it was in the late 2000's were still running the show during the reboot, it unsurprisingly turned out to be a bit of a mess.

4) Arguably one of the things with DC right now is that some of their editors give too much of a fuck.

trying to jump into Valiant!! spent like $40 this weekend on these lol

4d3b2cf6bb9611e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg

and coincidentally, comicolgy has all the XO Manowars up to the one I bought on sale!!

so there goes another $10!! lol. at least I know which series to start reading first now =P

Fucking LOVED all five of the $1 Firsts. I'm on board for all this crazy shit, starting with the immaculately timed X-O sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom