• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDirk

I knew it was too good and out-there to not get cancelled but damn, does that fucking suck. I hope China Mieville sticks around comics, though--dude's clearly got some great talent for comics writing.

So long as it doesn't keep his novels from coming out. Embassytown was a new high for him and I want moar.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So long as it doesn't keep his novels from coming out. Embassytown was a new high for him and I want moar.

How are his books--I've never read any but hear great things? Is there a solid book to start with?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's not Dial H levels but it is really great. Best book not being talked about

Al these DC cancellations are getting me excited about Morbius eventual cancellation. Pointless and pathetic book.

I heard Marvel is optioning a Morbius movie tho, that brah ain't going anywhere.

The first Morbius trade seems to indicate it is only going to issue 9. I read the free issue on Comixology and it was the worst comic I've ever read. There wasn't one redeeming feature.

Owzers

how are these digital first DC books being collected in print? I read Lil Gotham #1 and it looked like 2 digitals were one print. Is that typical?

CvrGirls_Batwoman.jpg

also who's buying this? I agree with some previous comics i read on a statue forum that the pose seems a little basic, but it's still intriguing. I'll probably pass.

Nudull

Banned
I didn't know that Dial H was ending, nor Legion. Guess I should catch up on the former, at least.

EDIT: Demon Knights, too? Well, now I'm feeling a bit guilty. :c

Going to check out X-O Manowar sale going on.

Sad to see Legion go again. Can't they get DnA to make it cool again? They did great things for GotG.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't know if this is what the deal with Batman's glove was but I remember reading the issues after seeing it mentioned on here and the Joker gives him some sort of hallucinogen or something through skin contact on his hands, but Batman was wearing gloves like two panels before. Is that what all that was about? It was pretty weird.

frye

Going to check out X-O Manowar sale going on.

Sad to see Legion go again. Can't they get DnA to make it cool again? They did great things for GotG.

They actually did a fairly long run of it before they went to Marvel. A bunch of the earlier issues were drawn by Coipel too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know if this is what the deal with Batman's glove was but I remember reading the issues after seeing it mentioned on here and the Joker gives him some sort of hallucinogen or something through skin contact on his hands, but Batman was wearing gloves like two panels before. Is that what all that was about? It was pretty weird.

Someone was complaining that we weren't shown when he took the gloves off, I pointed to the panel in the above image as being an empty glove and it spiraled downward from there.

KingDirk

How are his books--I've never read any but hear great things? Is there a solid book to start with?

His books are mostly fantastic, and they're pretty varied. The best entry point is probably The City & The City--it's his shortest, and of his most focused. He employs an interesting writing style on it that sounds almost like it's translated, so don't let that deter you.

It is, however, of his least 'fantastical' stories. If you want to go for something a bit more out there, Embassytown's a good start. Kraken's a really fun mash-up of nerd ideas into a modern day detective story. He also has a trilogy of books set up in an almost D&D/steampunk world starting with Perdido Street Station that positively overflows with ideas, but clearly demonstrate a younger writer.

Dysun

Unfortunately Dial H and Demon Knights are more examples of fringe DC books I'm hesitant to try knowing they are prone to cancellation at any time. So I dont

Satch

Banned
im not ready for this

to be HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

i need to catch up

not-finishing-video-games-but-continuing-to-buy-more-of-them-anyway is becoming a very expensive hobby

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Weird. Batman Beyond Unlimited replaced by Batman Beyond Universe? Reason to renumber I guess?

They are putting new writers on all the books, I suppose that's the reason. I'm going to miss Beechen, he's been doing a really awesome job with the book. It easily could have sucked and floundered, but he made it work and turned it into something great.

They are putting new writers on all the books, I suppose that's the reason. I'm going to miss Beechen, he's been doing a really awesome job with the book. It easily could have sucked and floundered, but he made it work and turned it into something great.

Oh trust me I know. I love that book. Just surprised me as there wasn't any mention of it. Just say the change in the solicit.

So, this is just bleeding cool bullshit, but... Legion HOPE? @_@

dc-brings-in-kevin-maguire-to-cancel-legion-of-superheroes-in-august-but-what-is-keith-giffens-comic-on-the-horizon/

the-future-of-the-legion/

Tizoc

Ya know it's kinda funny that Irredeemable ended last year, I had thought I read it and it ended long before then haha.

Duress

So I finally got around to finish the first arc of the new 52 Justice League; and wasn't impressed. Does it get any better?

Maybe they're pulling a Marvel and working a way to retcon his book as soon as he leaves. "Alright he's gone and we milked Damian's death, time for the comeback!"

Also, only two more issues of Morrison's Batman makes me very sad. I looked at DC's solicits today and there's absolutely NOTHING from them I want anymore.

edit: WAIT A MINUTE THAT WAS A LIE

Owzers

trade waiting Batman 66 or buying it digitally....i think.

also, looking at the cover of XO Manowar #1, i had no idea it would be what it was, weird. Does the book get better?

Duress

Worse , then it crosses over for a fun/dumb Aquaman story, then it gets worse again.

I guess, I'm done with Justice League for now :/

On another note, I picked all the trades of Gotham Central. It's been a while since I've read it, and I forgot most of it. LOL I guess it's going to be as fun this time around.

Owzers

I guess, I'm done with Justice League for now :/

On another note, I picked all the trades of Gotham Central. It's been a while since I've read it, and I forgot most of it. LOL I guess it's going to be as fun this time around.

I can't resist Trinity War, if not for that i'd probably drop JLoA and JL, but i still want to read DCs first event, it will decide the fate of those two books just like Bendis killed Avengers/New Avengers with Secret Invasion.

The Wake is getting a Directors Cut! Yessss!!!!

And check out Amy Reeders Kickstater, Roxket Girl, unfortunately it is written by maybe one of the most boring writers in comics.

Kind of a quiet week, but FF makes it all worth it.

Marvel Comics
Avengers: Enemy Within #1
FF #7
Gambit #12
Wolverine & the X-Men #29
X-Factor #256

Dark Horse Comics
Conan the Barbarian #16

Also, what is it with Spider-People and filling the role in every relationship of "most annoying best friend ever"?

Also, dat hair.

Duress

I can't resist Trinity War, if not for that i'd probably drop JLoA and JL, but i still want to read DCs first event, it will decide the fate of those two books just like Bendis killed Avengers/New Avengers with Secret Invasion.

It better be one hell of an event. They really haven't been selling the new 52 very well.

frye

I'm excited for Enemy Within, though I've yet to read any of Avengers Assemble. I take I should correct this?

Yeah. The first arc is stronger than the second but they're both good reads. The Age of Ultron tie-ins, though, are pretty fucking great.

e: you should probably be fine without reading the backissues though. They're not based on heavy arc-to-arc continuity, although this is dealing with a storyline over in Captain Marvel (essentially, she's got ~brain problemz~ and can't fly)

So Does Carols hair change every issue or is it me.?
Everyone seems to have experienced varying degrees of difficulty in figuring out how that hairstyle is supposed to work. But honestly? Its uniqueness has grown on me.

Is this garbage Dog arc over in wolvie & txm yet? So damn bad, it's crazy.
Yes, it's over; this week's issue is a look at the JGS of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom