• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Haven't read any Punisher in ages, and I've been thinking about reading Rucka's recent run on Punisher. And maybe Franken-Castle. Worth it?

Yes and FUCK YES. The two will offer two very different takes on Punisher comics but both are great and should be read. I didn't see Rucka's Punisher get much love but it was a hell of a brutal comic that really took the one-man-war thing seriously and added an interesting grounding to the character. Just make sure you get the ENTIRE run for Rucka's Punisher. War Zone is its conclusion.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fucking LOVED all five of the $1 Firsts. I'm on board for all this crazy shit, starting with the immaculately timed X-O sale.

I've only read Harbinger and Bloodshot. There was a 99-cent Comixology sale on every issue of those a couple months ago.
Loved both, but Harbinger is a tough recommend because the main character is thoroughly unlikeable. A lot of people just can't deal with that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh god, I hope that Wolverine rumor is true.

Banshee and Sentry are coming back too. Hurrah.

It would be really interesting if they really did do it.
If they kill him there wouldn't be like 12 books with him in it though
, I don't know if Marvel can handle that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oh god, I hope that Wolverine rumor is true.

Banshee and Sentry are coming back too. Hurrah.

banshee is a god damn time pick. why they are just bringing him back is beyond me

sentry is great for all the bitching that will come with his retun

Considering the next Cornell/Davis wolverine arc is him losing his healing factor anything is possible.

Though let's not forget he already went to hell.

Bull

Wow. So many issues with multiple covers. Does anyone care about that?

I think after reading that preview of Supergirl #20 yesterday and seeing that she'll be fighting Cyborg Superman soon will get me back reading that series.

SG_Cv23_R2.jpg

Owzers

Got an email from Amazon that my Hellboy Library vol 6 is now a July book....and Fear Agent vol 2 library gets pushed back from july to JANUARY 2014.

Booooooo this is terrible.

Wow. So many issues with multiple covers. Does anyone care about that?

I think after reading that preview of Supergirl #20 yesterday and seeing that she'll be fighting Cyborg Superman soon will get me back reading that series.

It's been getting progressively better. I always enjoyed it, but the last issue or two, plus that preview, has me pretty excited. Plus, it's great seeing an interesting interaction between Supergirl and Power Girl.

Grant Morrison on Multiversity(which is suppose to be coming out...eventually!):

This new book is something that I’ve been working on for quite awhile. It’s nine issues that are 40 pages each. The first one and the last one comprise an 80-page, giant DC super-spectacular story. There are seven comics, each of which come from a different parallel universe, all with a different storytelling approach and artistic look. Each one is drawn by a different artist, but each of them combine. DC Comics has always had this idea of the multi-verse, where there are multiple parallel universes that all occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies. It’s that idea of comic book universes as music. That’s what the vibration is. And when you hear them all vibrating together, it makes the most beautiful music you’ve ever heard, and you can choose what you want that music to be. So, we’re exploring that concept with this book.

They established that, in each of the worlds of the DC multi-verse, they read comic books about the other worlds. In one world, a fictional character can be a real person. So, we chose to make that the basis of this story. Basically, each of the worlds can read the comic book that we just read, the month before, and they’re all facing a gigantic cosmic threat, which is the most terrifying thing that anybody’s ever read in a comic. I don’t do hyperbole, so this is the one. Each of the worlds all connect, and they pass on a message to the next world, that something terrible is happening and something is bringing down the structure of the multi-verse.

The first of the seven books is a kind of Justice League of the multi-verse and how they come together. It features the black Superman that we had in Action Comics #9, Calvin Ellis. He’s the main character in that one. The second one is a pulp universe that’s the 1940′s characters that fit the pulp archetype. It’s set in a world where there’s only two billion people. It’s 2013, but they just had a major world war, and out of that comes a particular set of circumstances. The next one is set on Earth 11. There was this concept of the super-sons, where Superman and Batman had a couple of sons that were real mean bastards when they grew up. They just weren’t happy about the legacy their fathers had left them. So, the next one is about this world of the children of superheroes and what happens after you’ve turned the world into utopia, so there’s nothing for you to do, but you can punch out mountains. We chose to do it in the style of The Hills, with these really super bland conversations. We wanted something as shallow, flat and on the surface, but with superheroes and the kind of conversations that superheroes would have. You’ll see a lot of the ‘90s characters who have been consigned to the dust bins. They’ve got nothing to do, so they perform battle re-enactments. That’s another book, which I can’t really describe the ambiance of.

Then, we took the storytelling devices of Watchmen and applied them to the Charlton characters that Watchmen was originally inspired by. Instead of Watchmen’s nine-panel grid, we have an eight-panel grid that reflects the musical harmonics that underpin the whole series. It’s based on the number eight, which becomes really important through everything. In 40 pages, we’ve done this thing that is probably the best thing we’ve ever done in superhero comics. After that is a great take on the Captain Marvel stuff, and it’s done as an all-ages book. It's like a Pixar movie. It has a completely different tone, and it’s a really neat little story that’s self-contained.

After that are the Nazi superheroes that’s set on what used to be Earth X, but it’s not Earth 10. The idea behind it is that the Nazis won World War II and took over the world. It’s like, what if the classic DC world has been played with and Hitler got ahold of the super-baby, and the world emerges from that. We didn’t want to do something dull. This one was meant to feel like a big Shakespeare-style HBO series. Imagine if you were Superman and for the first 25 years of your life you were working for Hitler, and then you go, “Oh, my god, it’s Hitler! Shit, now I get it! Now I see who the baddie is!” And he cleans up and creates a utopia, but that utopia is based on the Nazi principles that he was indoctrinated with. Everything is wrong, overblown and ready for destruction in this culture, and Superman knows it. He knows that his entire society, even though it looks like utopian, has been built on the bones of the dead and ultimately is wrong and must be destroyed. To that comes the Freedom Fighter characters led by Uncle Sam, who is the last remnant of the America that was conquered in 1956. He’s gathered all the people that Hitler killed. We’ve recast all the Freedom Fighter characters as Hitler’s enemies. It’s all the people who Hitler persecuted, and it’s the return of the oppressed. It’s a big Game of Thrones, hardcore story about what happens when your entire society is under threat from terrorists who actually embody the good. Worse than that, your leader, Superman, knows that they’re right and that it’s time for this society to die.

Following that, the seventh issue of the book is called Ultra Comics. It’s the one that’s set in this world, where we actually use this technology that will blow your mind. You’ve never had this experience before with a comic book. That’s all that I’m going to say. It’s something you have never seen before, and it’s an actual superhero that we’re going to make, in front of you. In the midst of all of that, there’s a guidebook where we’re going to show you how the multi-verse works, and it will have a narrative element through it as well. And then, it ends with a bookend that completes the story that we started off in #1, and it unites all the strands of the narrative together. This is my magnum opus. This is why I love comics.

cover-morrison-top.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Everything about this sounds incredible. Especially using the best part of his Action Comics run as the basis for the first issue. Holy fuckballs, I'm excited for this.

Filthy Slug

Aside from Quitely (thank fucking christ), is there any other confimation for the different artists? Cam Stewart?

8bit

Knows the Score
Grant Morrison on Multiversity(which is suppose to be coming out...eventually!):

This new book is something that I’ve been working on for quite awhile. It’s nine issues that are 40 pages each. The first one and the last one comprise an 80-page, giant DC super-spectacular story. There are seven comics, each of which come from a different parallel universe, all with a different storytelling approach and artistic look. Each one is drawn by a different artist, but each of them combine. DC Comics has always had this idea of the multi-verse, where there are multiple parallel universes that all occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies. It’s that idea of comic book universes as music. That’s what the vibration is. And when you hear them all vibrating together, it makes the most beautiful music you’ve ever heard, and you can choose what you want that music to be. So, we’re exploring that concept with this book.

They established that, in each of the worlds of the DC multi-verse, they read comic books about the other worlds. In one world, a fictional character can be a real person. So, we chose to make that the basis of this story. Basically, each of the worlds can read the comic book that we just read, the month before, and they’re all facing a gigantic cosmic threat, which is the most terrifying thing that anybody’s ever read in a comic. I don’t do hyperbole, so this is the one. Each of the worlds all connect, and they pass on a message to the next world, that something terrible is happening and something is bringing down the structure of the multi-verse.

The first of the seven books is a kind of Justice League of the multi-verse and how they come together. It features the black Superman that we had in Action Comics #9, Calvin Ellis. He’s the main character in that one. The second one is a pulp universe that’s the 1940′s characters that fit the pulp archetype. It’s set in a world where there’s only two billion people. It’s 2013, but they just had a major world war, and out of that comes a particular set of circumstances. The next one is set on Earth 11. There was this concept of the super-sons, where Superman and Batman had a couple of sons that were real mean bastards when they grew up. They just weren’t happy about the legacy their fathers had left them. So, the next one is about this world of the children of superheroes and what happens after you’ve turned the world into utopia, so there’s nothing for you to do, but you can punch out mountains. We chose to do it in the style of The Hills, with these really super bland conversations. We wanted something as shallow, flat and on the surface, but with superheroes and the kind of conversations that superheroes would have. You’ll see a lot of the ‘90s characters who have been consigned to the dust bins. They’ve got nothing to do, so they perform battle re-enactments. That’s another book, which I can’t really describe the ambiance of.

Then, we took the storytelling devices of Watchmen and applied them to the Charlton characters that Watchmen was originally inspired by. Instead of Watchmen’s nine-panel grid, we have an eight-panel grid that reflects the musical harmonics that underpin the whole series. It’s based on the number eight, which becomes really important through everything. In 40 pages, we’ve done this thing that is probably the best thing we’ve ever done in superhero comics. After that is a great take on the Captain Marvel stuff, and it’s done as an all-ages book. It's like a Pixar movie. It has a completely different tone, and it’s a really neat little story that’s self-contained.

After that are the Nazi superheroes that’s set on what used to be Earth X, but it’s not Earth 10. The idea behind it is that the Nazis won World War II and took over the world. It’s like, what if the classic DC world has been played with and Hitler got ahold of the super-baby, and the world emerges from that. We didn’t want to do something dull. This one was meant to feel like a big Shakespeare-style HBO series. Imagine if you were Superman and for the first 25 years of your life you were working for Hitler, and then you go, “Oh, my god, it’s Hitler! Shit, now I get it! Now I see who the baddie is!” And he cleans up and creates a utopia, but that utopia is based on the Nazi principles that he was indoctrinated with. Everything is wrong, overblown and ready for destruction in this culture, and Superman knows it. He knows that his entire society, even though it looks like utopian, has been built on the bones of the dead and ultimately is wrong and must be destroyed. To that comes the Freedom Fighter characters led by Uncle Sam, who is the last remnant of the America that was conquered in 1956. He’s gathered all the people that Hitler killed. We’ve recast all the Freedom Fighter characters as Hitler’s enemies. It’s all the people who Hitler persecuted, and it’s the return of the oppressed. It’s a big Game of Thrones, hardcore story about what happens when your entire society is under threat from terrorists who actually embody the good. Worse than that, your leader, Superman, knows that they’re right and that it’s time for this society to die.

Following that, the seventh issue of the book is called Ultra Comics. It’s the one that’s set in this world, where we actually use this technology that will blow your mind. You’ve never had this experience before with a comic book. That’s all that I’m going to say. It’s something you have never seen before, and it’s an actual superhero that we’re going to make, in front of you. In the midst of all of that, there’s a guidebook where we’re going to show you how the multi-verse works, and it will have a narrative element through it as well. And then, it ends with a bookend that completes the story that we started off in #1, and it unites all the strands of the narrative together. This is my magnum opus. This is why I love comics.

cover-morrison-top.jpg

Something to look forward to in 2016. Is the guy in the Union Flag T-Shirt supposed to be Big Dave?

millar-big-dave-200oad.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Aside from Quitely (thank fucking christ), is there any other confimation for the different artists? Cam Stewart?

Cameron Stewart is doing the Captain Marvel issue. They showed off a page of his art last week or so.

Quitely is doing the Pax Americana/Watchmen issue

1349119888.jpg

Stewart is doing the Thunderworld one, which is supposed to be All-Star Captain Marvel or something like that

1368187825.jpg

Besides that, who knows.

ElNarez

Banned
Incredible.

A bit concerned that Jupie's Juniors might have stepped all over that The Hills universe idea.

Considering the relationship between Moz and Millar, and the shape the rest of the project is apparently gonna take, I am going to say one-upping Jupjup Babies is part of the design, just like Pax Americana is gonna be more than willing to take a shot at Moore. I think he has some of the pettiness required to do so in him.

Read the first two issues of Avengers Assemble, shit was trying too hard to be like the Avengers movie, but with none of Whedon's wit or actors to pull it off, so it was just kinda boring. Hope Stefano Casselli lands somewhere interesting, like back on SSM.

Wool

When he says The Hills, is he talking about that MTV show about the rich girls? That sounds like it will be a great issue.

Owzers

I spend too much on comics to read Avengers Assemble really, but i was hoping to read it on Marvel Unlimited since it seemed decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom