• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading some DC Digital comics and want to get some print stuff. Bought Batman Long Halloween and was looking at some Injustice books. Didnt know what was good. Any recommendations?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Animal Man is one of my favorite DC books and RotWorld was so bad I dropped it until it was over.

Same here. Animal Man was so fucking food for a little while--even referenced Morrison's run!--and then it got sucked into the most disappointing yearlong event ever.

tim1138

Same here. Animal Man was so fucking food for a little while--even referenced Morrison's run!--and then it got sucked into the most disappointing yearlong event ever.

It's a good time to jump back in though, this month's issue was aces.

Speaking of Morrison's run, am the only one who's had that omnibus ordered since it was solicited? August seems so far away..

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's a good time to jump back in though, this month's issue was aces.

Speaking of Morrison's run, am the only one who's had that omnibus ordered since it was solicited? August seems so far away..

No you are not, sir. That and Absolute Bats and Robin! Also, I've been back to AniMan since issue 18, I believe, and yeah, thankfully it's getting back to being the awesome comic it was pre-shiteworld.

Nudull

Banned
I'm interested in Animal Man in general, though, should I try out Morrison's run first before jumping into the N52 series?

tim1138

I'm interested in Animal Man in general, though, should I try out Morrison's run first before jumping into the N52 series?

You can jump into the N52 series without any knowledge of Morrison's run. But you should read Morrison's run anyway because it's brilliant.

Splatt

52 run is new-reader friendly, but if you've got time and money, I'd recommend getting Morrison's run. It's one of his best works.

You can jump into the N52 series without any knowledge of Morrison's run. But you should read Morrison's run anyway because it's brilliant.

What this awesome dude said.

Filthy Slug

One doesn't really inform the other too much but YOU SHOULD READ Morrison's Animal Man just to read a very fine comic. It's Morrison breaking into the mainstream comics scene with some super surreal, bizarre, and incredible stuff.

Also, there's a fun nod to Morrison's run in Lemire's Animan that I appreciated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll seek out Morrison's Animal Man run first before I go to New 52's.

tim1138

One doesn't really inform the other too much but YOU SHOULD READ Morrison's Animal Man just to read a very fine comic. It's Morrison breaking into the mainstream comics scene with some super surreal, bizarre, and incredible stuff.

Also, there's a fun nod to Morrison's run in Lemire's Animan that I appreciated.

That callback to Moz was awesome.

I read an article just today about Animal Man and it summed up the most recent developments in the title and it ensured I will never in my life read it because eff that ess

tim1138

I read an article just today about Animal Man and it summed up the most recent developments in the title and it ensured I will never in my life read it because eff that ess

If it was a lesser writer I might be inclined to agree with you, but I have complete trust in Lemire to deliver. Even more so now that he's no longer collaborating with Scott Snyder.

Parch

Age of Ultron is selling really well. Are there a bunch of closet AoU readers here? Events always seem to get crapped on but somebody is reading them.

Filthy Slug

If it was a lesser writer I might be inclined to agree with you, but I have complete trust in Lemire to deliver. Even more so now that he's no longer collaborating with Scott Snyder.

Tim's right-- you should give it another shot, birdie.

Lemire writesa damn fine Animan, but he was bogged down by the grandiose forever-ever-long cross over with Snyder. I love Snyder but the dude has a hard-on for overdrawn and overblown "events". Lemire, however, can do wonderful things with smaller arcs and single issues and works well with family stories.

frye

Age of Ultron is selling really well. Are there a bunch of closet AoU readers here? Events always seem to get crapped on but somebody is reading them.

There are a bunch of open readers to it here I think. Every time an issue comes out people are like "dang, nothing happened again!"

Animal Man is one of my favorite DC books and RotWorld was so bad I dropped it until it was over.

I liked Sweet Tooth in the beginning. I liked Animal Man in the beginning. They both started to really suck around the same time. What happened Lamire? I haven't ready any of his books since Sweet Tooth ended. I only stuck with ST because I knew it was ending.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

In general, ComicsGAF isn't that different than the general public. They may bitch and moan, but they still buy event comics regardless of quality.

kswiston

In general, ComicsGAF isn't that different than the general public. They may bitch and moan, but they still buy event comics regardless of quality.

Ya, I don't think ComicsGAF ever made a claim that they are different from the general comic buying public. 90% of our conversations are about Marvel and DC books :p

Nudull

Banned

I only bought the Ultron one-shot, and only because I'm a Runaways (and Immonen) fan. I tried reading the main book proper, and it was a bit of a dud.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The omnibus is out in a couple months. Is it available any way else?

No idea, maybe I should just wait then. I got a buddy who was big into Animal Man so he may have the content.

Filthy Slug

Went to my LCS and picked up the first Skull Kickers trade. Only $10! Hope it's as good as I've heard.

It's rad! The first two trades are solid. I kind of fell off once they hopped on a pirate ship for some sea adventurin', though. It's dumb fun and looks gorgeous at times.

Xux

Jeeze, I've been buying trades like crazy recently. Just got Red Robin: Grail, Gunnerkrigg Court #3, and Robin: Year One off Amazon. :0

tim1138

I liked Sweet Tooth in the beginning. I liked Animal Man in the beginning. They both started to really suck around the same time. What happened Lamire? I haven't ready any of his books since Sweet Tooth ended. I only stuck with ST because I knew it was ending.

RotWorld happened to Animal Man, nothing sucks the life out of a book like crossover hell. I had zero complaints about Sweet Tooth though.

No it said stuff already happened, so this crud was presumably his idea.

Didn't anyone read 52?

No, I openly admit I'm buying this god-awful book. I keep thinking there's going to be some great plot twist that makes it all worth it. How silly of me.

Owzers

No, I openly admit I'm buying this god-awful book. I keep thinking there's going to be some great plot twist that makes it all worth it. How silly of me.

And in the comics-gaf ecosystem, your suffering and Age of Ultron impressions help me decide to skip the book.

And in the comics-gaf ecosystem, your suffering and Age of Ultron impressions help me decide to skip the book.

What gets me, is that they could have squeezed the events of the past 8 issues into 2 or 3 issues.

I don't mind events so much, as long as they're better than this half-assed bullshit. It's called Age of Ultron, and WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN ULTRON LOLOLOLOLOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom