• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the mini-series standalone, or is the main series needed to understand them?

Fairly standalone. The minis take place in a separate time-period and have a different cast of characters. Lord of Nightmares is a continuation of Survival of the Fittest. That said, the main series is waaaaay better.

Charles Soule is this heir apparent. Calling it now. Brah made Swamp Thing readable after what Snyder did to him.

Acid, I can't believe you haven't read AmVamp yet. Gonna order the hardcovers tomorrow from instocktrades.

Wool

I flipped through Josh Whedon's Astonishing X-Men at Barnes & Noble yesterday, and now I'm even less okay with Emma Frost's costume in the current Uncanny. Bring back the flowing white cleavage robes. Maybe when they go to
purgatory
all of their costumes will be destroyed except for Cyclops'.

Charles Soule is this heir apparent. Calling it now. Brah made Swamp Thing readable after what Snyder did to him.

Acid, I can't believe you haven't read AmVamp yet. Gonna order the hardcovers tomorrow from instocktrades.
Soule is the new writer on Marvel's Thunderbolts; initially he was just going to do a two-issue arc after Way left, but they since announced he's the regular guy.

And I can't help but shrug at this news. Just another day at DC Comics.

tim1138

Soule is the new writer on Marvel's Thunderbolts; initially he was just going to do a two-issue arc after Way left, but they since announced he's the regular guy.

And I can't help but shrug at this news. Just another day at DC Comics.

He's also the new Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns writer.

Seriously, Rotworld was nothing happens: the story. Might have been fun as an Elseworlds 4 issue mini, but not as an overly long pointless crossover.

Indeed. I'm not a fan of events where they make some stuff happen, la-dee-da, then everything goes back to normal at the end. I like events that have a lasting impact. Like House of M. That "no more mutants" thing was an ongoing story element for years. That's how events should be done

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
So I'm looking to get back into print comics - I stopped reading a few years ago though I have been reading Walking Dead and making my way through all the Annihilation stuff on Comixology. A 10" tablet is a good way to read comics but it's no substitute for the real thing.

It seems like Marvel Now is a good place to start some new series'.

I know I want to try Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. I was planning to read through the all the previous volume of both of those comics (after I finished Annihilation Conquest). How will that affect reading the new ones?

Which of the X-Men comics are worth reading?

I'd like to read Fantastic Four - is that any good?

I've never been a big Avengers fan but if that's really worth reading I'll give it a go. Possibly instead of F4.

Do I need to read AvX before I start any of these?

Cheers. :D

Owzers

So I'm looking to get back into print comics - I stopped reading a few years ago though I have been reading Walking Dead and making my way through all the Annihilation stuff on Comixology. A 10" tablet is a good way to read comics but it's no substitute for the real thing.

It seems like Marvel Now is a good place to start some new series'.

I know I want to try Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova. I was planning to read through the all the previous volume of both of those comics (after I finished Annihilation Conquest). How will that affect reading the new ones?

Which of the X-Men comics are worth reading?

I'd like to read Fantastic Four - is that any good?

I've never been a big Avengers fan but if that's really worth reading I'll give it a go. Possibly instead of F4.

Do I need to read AvX before I start any of these?

Cheers. :D

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men need to be read together, but they are enjoyable nothingness. Bendis hasn't really tried to have either of those books do anything of substance, it's the "People eating pizza" book. There is a new X-Men book coming out soon from Brian Woods, i think that will be a safe bet, Wolverine and the X-Men is looking good again, as is Uncanny Avengers. There's going to be an x-men crossover soon between x-men, all new, uncanny and watxm in September and October. So you might want to go with Uncanny Avengers now and if you have no interest in the crossover, an x-men book after that.

AvX sets up the continuity for Marvel Now books, but it's 12 issues could be easily summed up by a few sentences on Wikipedia without spending all that money on a mediocre Bendis event.

Nova and GotG Marvel Now books can be jumped into, Annihilation was great but it kinda went downhill from there, though still enjoyable.

Fantastic Four is not a very good book under Fraction, yet his FF book provides a lighthearted and fun time. Hickman's previous Fantastic Four and FF was one of Marvel's greater runs and is getting the omnibus treatment starting in October.

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are solid so far, Avengers gets a little too into itself but both books are enjoyable if you have the extra money. The Infinity event coming up in August looks to have potential.

I'm re reading some of my old Chuck Dixon era Birds of Prey issues and I'm surprised at how much different and better Greg Lands work was back then. Man what happened to the guy?

How's Nu52 Suicide Squad? And at what arc should I jump in?

I hopped in at #19 and #20. You could go with just #20, but #19 sets up some elements that make it worth your time. (Specifically, the inclusion of a new team member).

I'm enjoying it.

Is Earth 2 a good series to read for someone looking to try more New 52 titles?

Earth 2 was good, interesting world building. And Nicola Scott's art is beautiful.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I have a bad feeling this Talon arc is going to be bad. It is already getting predictable and I don't know whether the art quality will drop with the new guy.

They're starting to do that, the problem is the villains. Peter had all the good ones.
Miles has a lot stacked against him. There's all the baggage left over from Peter, all the good material already used on Peter, his rushed induction to the Ultimates, the terrible crossover stories interfering with the construction of his own mythology. I mean we have his dad fighting Hydra in the streets and the next thing we know
his mom is dead by Venom
, it's all muddled up what should still have been the origin story phase of his career. The reason Miles hasn't been able to get out of Peter's shadow is because they won't let him.

I think Miles needed a new continuity to have a fair shot, but in the meantime the best they could do is skip a year and treat it like a fresh start. If we ever get a Miles Morales movie or adaptation they are going to have to come up with a brand new origin because the comics kind of fucked it up.

Oh and not to beat the dead horse but Ganke is an absolutely atrocious supporting character.

I have a bad feeling this Talon arc is going to be bad. It is already getting predictable and I don't know whether the art quality will drop with the new guy.
The art will go down by the way, I really need to see a preview on how Sepulvedas art will look with the color palette they've been using. Miguel Sepulveda is probably the worst artist DC has IMO.

Edit here it is http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62453 I don't like his art because everything looks so metallic and stiff.

tim1138

The art will go down by the way, I really need to see a preview on how Sepulvedas art will look with the color palette they've been using. Miguel Sepulveda is probably the worst artist DC has IMO.

Edit here it is http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62453 I don't like his art because everything looks so metallic and stiff.

He's also very inconsistent, even from panel to panel. Especially during his run on Red Lanterns, ugh.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men need to be read together, but they are enjoyable nothingness. Bendis hasn't really tried to have either of those books do anything of substance, it's the "People eating pizza" book. There is a new X-Men book coming out soon from Brian Woods, i think that will be a safe bet, Wolverine and the X-Men is looking good again, as is Uncanny Avengers. There's going to be an x-men crossover soon between x-men, all new, uncanny and watxm in September and October. So you might want to go with Uncanny Avengers now and if you have no interest in the crossover, an x-men book after that.

AvX sets up the continuity for Marvel Now books, but it's 12 issues could be easily summed up by a few sentences on Wikipedia without spending all that money on a mediocre Bendis event.

Nova and GotG Marvel Now books can be jumped into, Annihilation was great but it kinda went downhill from there, though still enjoyable.

Fantastic Four is not a very good book under Fraction, yet his FF book provides a lighthearted and fun time. Hickman's previous Fantastic Four and FF was one of Marvel's greater runs and is getting the omnibus treatment starting in October.

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are solid so far, Avengers gets a little too into itself but both books are enjoyable if you have the extra money. The Infinity event coming up in August looks to have potential.

Thanks for the info dude.

Batman Inc has 3 issues left + Multiversity not all is lost yet!

lol Morrison is on his way out. He's wrapping up Inc. and then he'll finish up the multiversity miniseries and wonder woman ogn and that will be it for his DC tenure. Aside from Johns who has become very hit or miss, DC books are all written by C-list writers and editors.

Whedon/Ba did a comic book together?

sugar02.jpg

Moon, but yes, it's fucking amazing.

American Vampire one shot coming on June 12th. Written by Snyder & Albaquerque, art by Albuquerque.

Tony Moore variant:

american-vampire1.jpg

Looks really cool. I really need to read AmVamp.

Same here. I keep buying issues here and there for amazing covers and what not and never read them.

: /

WW the only good DC has? Not sure if serious, Batman, Batman and robin, Batman Inc, and Batwoman are amazing. I guess I can agree with that if you don't like the Bat family.

Oh and currently enjoying Justice league of America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom