• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Some of you make this thread toxic.

Adventures of Superman #1 was decently good?

DC buying is down to:

Aquaman - good-ish, solid albacore
Batman - haven't liked it lately, but Capullo and hype keeps me on
Batman Inc - ending soon, probably not buying the $5 special, maybe it will be in the OHC
Dial H - canceled at #15, not really loving it anymore after the first arc
Green Lantern - ugh
Superman Unchained - not sure what to expect from this, i'll give it a few issues
Wonder Woman - favorite DC book, great read and Azz created an interesting family of characters.

Trinity War's quality will decide if i drop JLoA and Justice League.

Dysun

Outside of a few family titles I only read Morrison, Johns, and Snyder from DC. Nothing else appeals to me that much

Owzers

Justice League Dark #18 was terrible, and the final page set-up for Trinity was even worse.

" You can't do this, constantine! You turn your back on A.R.G.U.S., you're making an enemy of the justice league!"

" We're not with you , we're against you yeah? You let me know how that works out for you."

I regret ever buying JLD, from the first issue onward. This issue makes me want to skip Trinity War altogether, and the Hunter arc never gave you a reason to care about the other side and their science mech suits.

tim1138

Justice League Dark #18 was terrible, and the final page set-up for Trinity was even worse.

" You can't do this, constantine! You turn your back on A.R.G.U.S., you're making an enemy of the justice league!"

" We're not with you , we're against you yeah? You let me know how that works out for you."

I regret ever buying JLD, from the first issue onward. This issue makes me want to skip Trinity War altogether, and the Hunter arc never gave you a reason to care about the other side and their science mech suits.

I thought Milligan's work on that title was pretty interesting, it felt like a Vertigo title. I never really jumped on with Lemire though, never had an opening in my list to add it. I must say, I'm sad to hear it's disappointing, I love Lemire on pretty much everything else.

WW the only good DC has? Not sure if serious, Batman, Batman and robin, Batman Inc, and Batwoman are amazing. I guess I can agree with that if you don't like the Bat family.

Oh and currently enjoying Justice league of America.

Batman Inc. is ending and those other Batman books are boring. Batwoman hasn't been good since Rucka left.

That entire page proves why FF is perfect. I especially liked Leech clutching Medusa's leg.
And Darla.

Matt needs to do an issue where Darla, Jen, and Medusa take Onome and Tong shopping for dresses and fighting crime. Crystal and her little girl could tagalong, and Scott could shrink down and follow because he's paranoid.

And Darla.

Matt needs to do an issue where Darla, Jen, and Medusa take Onome and Tong shopping for dresses and fighting crime. Crystal and her little girl could tagalong, and Scott could shrink down and follow because he's paranoid.

It'll never happen, but it's a great idea. I like this FF way more than the original one. This book feels like it's actually about the Future Foundation and not just some grim-dark spin-off after Torch died.

It'll never happen, but it's a great idea. I like this FF way more than the original one. This book feels like it's actually about the Future Foundation and not just some grim-dark spin-off after Torch died.
We live in an age when Pizza Dog gets an issue all to himself. Anything is possible.

kswiston

Hickman's FF was not Grim Dark. The final issue had a page where cowboys and dinosaurs were fighting jello knights.

Adventures of Superman #1 was decently good?

DC buying is down to:

Aquaman - good-ish, solid albacore
Batman - haven't liked it lately, but Capullo and hype keeps me on
Batman Inc - ending soon, probably not buying the $5 special, maybe it will be in the OHC
Dial H - canceled at #15, not really loving it anymore after the first arc
Green Lantern - ugh
Superman Unchained - not sure what to expect from this, i'll give it a few issues
Wonder Woman - favorite DC book, great read and Azz created an interesting family of characters.

The only DC titles I've got on my list are Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Aquaman, Justice League and Unwritten (and American Vampire whenever that comes back). I'm dropping Batman for the time being because I don't even give 3/5's of a fuck about Zero Year.

AEREC

WW the only good DC has? Not sure if serious, Batman, Batman and robin, Batman Inc, and Batwoman are amazing. I guess I can agree with that if you don't like the Bat family.

Oh and currently enjoying Justice league of America.

Not really enjoying anything from DC aside from Batman and Batman & Robin. Wonder Woman is ok...but 8 issues in and it's not grabbing me like it is for everyone else. I took a long break between issues 5 & 6 though so maybe I just need to re-read from the beginning...I dunno.

Also Justice League feels pretty shallow...I guess because they've been splitting the issues with Shazam (which are great btw). I am enjoying JLoA though.

Hickman's FF was not Grim Dark. The final issue had a page where cowboys and dinosaurs were fighting jello knights.

Yeah, I know. It got better. But it still started that way though, with Reed being all brooding and bringing all of the super-villains to the Baxter Building and things like that. Also the artist couldn't draw kids to save his life and they all looked creepy, especially Val who visually fluctuated massively between ages throughout the book.

I'd read that depending on who writes it. If we get another Lemire joint then fuck no.
Damn Jeff Lemire was looking like a comics superstar two years ago and now, so much hate.

I'm really interested to see what seven books DC launches in Spetember, should know in the next two weeks. I still read a ton of DC, I just can't quit them.

Nudull

Banned
I still have Batwoman and Gail Simone's stuff, DC-wise. I could use to expand my books, though Wonder Woman and Animal Man interest me, at least.

Damn Jeff Lemire was looking like a comics superstar two years ago and now, so much hate.

Personally, I love when Lemire does a book on his own, but Animal Man, after starting off great, got bogged down in Rotworld, and his Green Arrow hasn't been awful, just really bland. He's not really settling in these work for hire scenarios.

I will just wait for Trivium or whatever his next original book is.

frye

Personally, I love when Lemire does a book on his own, but Animal Man, after starting off great, got bogged down in Rotworld, and his Green Arrow hasn't been awful, just really bland. He's not really settling in these work for hire scenarios.

I will just wait for Trivium or whatever his next original book is.

I remember actually digging his Adventure Comics run with Superboy but yeah, post-reboot the guy has left me completely cold.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I know. It got better. But it still started that way though, with Reed being all brooding and bringing all of the super-villains to the Baxter Building and things like that. Also the artist couldn't draw kids to save his life and they all looked creepy, especially Val who visually fluctuated massively between ages throughout the book.

Blobillo.

Guys, Xmen is coming. This will be the book launch of the century. I'm currently bolting down my furniture and boarding up my windows. I suggest yall do the same.

Guys, Xmen is coming. This will be the book launch of the century. I'm currently bolting down my furniture and boarding up my windows. I suggest yall do the same.

Send in the Sentinels!
sentinels1dvkp7.gif

sentinelpeak249bla.gif

I'd like to know what you read if you feel Batman, Batman and Robin, and Batwoman are boring? Because you are fundamentally wrong. All of those series are great.

I read back issues of Keith Giffen's Justice League International, Timmothy Truman's Hawkworld series, and John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. I also read Manhattan Projects, Hawkeye, FF, All-New X-Men, Earth 2, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. So I think I know a thing or two about quality.

I read back issues of Keith Giffen's Justice League International, Timmothy Truman's Hawkworld series, and John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. I also read Manhattan Projects, Hawkeye, FF, All-New X-Men, Earth 2, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. So I think I know a thing or two about quality.

Mhmm. And do you actively read the series you malign? Because I do. And I say you are wrong.

Batman and Robin: Tomasi straight up understands the Bruce/Damian dynamic, and outside of a few issues, has given us a fantastic run.

Batwoman: The art alone invalidates you. But this is a series I love to hate, and by that, I mean it portrays Kate as a flawed, realistic person. She makes mistakes and let's her biases rule her actions.

Batman: Snyders run hasn't been perfect, but we've gotten two good to great runs. Court of Owls was basically an extension of his ideas from Black Mirror. DOTF, the core storyline, was a good Joker run that suffered via the timing of Damian's death in Batman Inc.

Wiktor

I need some help, because I'm confused. I bought and enjoyed Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. Now I have no clue what is the continuation of that. There's Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls, but there's also Batman: Night of the Owls. How do all those fit in?

Acid08

Banned
Mhmm. And do you actively read the series you malign? Because I do. And I say you are wrong.

Batman and Robin: Tomasi straight up understands the Bruce/Damian dynamic, and outside of a few issues, has given us a fantastic run.

Batwoman: The art alone invalidates you. But this is a series I love to hate, and by that, I mean it portrays Kate as a flawed, realistic person. She makes mistakes and let's her biases rule her actions.

Batman: Snyders run hasn't been perfect, but we've gotten two good to great runs. Court of Owls was basically an extension of his ideas from Black Mirror. DOTF, the core storyline, was a good Joker run that suffered via the timing of Damian's death in Batman Inc.

Damn you just straight up don't understand what an opinion is do you?

frye

I need some help, because I'm confused. I bought and enjoyed Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls. Now I have no clue what is the continuation of that. There's Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls, but there's also Batman: Night of the Owls. How do all those fit in?

You want City. The other one is just tie-ins which iirc involve X character fightan' owls. Dumb bullshit no one should care about for the most part.

Night of the Owls is the tie ins from the other Gotham/Bat Family books. A series of one shots.

Nowhere do you say anything about opinions. You even say that he's fundamentally wrong. Quit being a dick because someone doesn't like a couple DC books.

Yeah... "All DC writers are C tier except Johns" certainly backs up the assertion that he just "doesn't like a few DC books".

That kind of rhetoric is just inflammatory and confrontational. You obviously don't see it though.

Incidentally, when you say your opinions, you open them up to be challenged. That is where arguments come from. If you didn't want them to be assailable then shouldn't you keep them to yourself?

strobogo

Banned
I have the complete Final Crisis run with all the tie ins on my tablet. Starting at Countdown 27, all the way through Countdown to Final Crisis 26, to DC Universe Zero, Death of the New Gods, Faces of Evil, Final Crisis, Aftermath, Origins and Omens, and Rage of the Red Lanterns. What can I skip out on here? This is wayyy too much shit to go through.

So, I finally had a chance to check out Ten Grand. It's... pretty good? JMS has always been hit or miss with me, but as B5 is like my favorite thing ever I tend to be forgiving. I'm not sure what to feel about the art though. Intellectually I want to dislike it, but gut instinct kind of likes it, in a weird way. I'm on board for a few issues at least.

tm24

I have the complete Final Crisis run with all the tie ins on my tablet. Starting at Countdown 27, all the way through Countdown to Final Crisis 26, to DC Universe Zero, Death of the New Gods, Faces of Evil, Final Crisis, Aftermath, Origins and Omens, and Rage of the Red Lanterns. What can I skip out on here? This is wayyy too much shit to go through.

Skip Countdown. For the love of god skip Countdown. Honestly, just skip everything but Final Crisis and maybe Rage of the Red Lanters. Get the Rucka mini and the Rogues one. If you ever read Checkmate, get FC: Submit i think. That was good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom