• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the complete Final Crisis run with all the tie ins on my tablet. Starting at Countdown 27, all the way through Countdown to Final Crisis 26, to DC Universe Zero, Death of the New Gods, Faces of Evil, Final Crisis, Aftermath, Origins and Omens, and Rage of the Red Lanterns. What can I skip out on here? This is wayyy too much shit to go through.

I would skip out on Countdown to Final Crisis.

This is the Grant Morrison stuff. Here is all you really need:
DC Universe 0
Final Crisis 1-3
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 1-2
Final Crisis: Submit
Final Crisis 4
Batman 682-683
Final Crisis 5-7

The other good stuff is:
Rucka's FC: Revelation and Resist,
Johns FC: Rogues Revenge, and Legion of 3 Worlds
Tomasi's FC: Requiem

strobogo

Banned
I got through a few issues of Countdown and thought they were awful, so I skipped ahead to Countdown to Final Crisis...and it was also awful. So I'll just jump straight into Final Crisis, I guess.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I've been wanting to read more classic X-Men lately and my local store had a big blowout sale today. I ended up getting this hardcover for 60% off.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785158227/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How'd I do? I've heard Claremont's run is one of the best?

Depends on how old you are and your reading history. If you were 12 when those issues were published and read the X-Men at the time, it's a sacred text. If you're only familiar with contemporary decompressed comics, it may be tough. Like reading a Victorian novel. But you can still enjoy the art regardless.

I have the complete Final Crisis run with all the tie ins on my tablet. Starting at Countdown 27, all the way through Countdown to Final Crisis 26, to DC Universe Zero, Death of the New Gods, Faces of Evil, Final Crisis, Aftermath, Origins and Omens, and Rage of the Red Lanterns. What can I skip out on here? This is wayyy too much shit to go through.

Skip everthing that is not written by Morrison, those stories DO NOT enhance FC but contradict it in many ways and show that Morrison oder DC editorial did not share what the story was about with anyone else or DC ignored what Morrison proposed because the tie ins DO NOT FIT IN AND WILL IMPACT YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE STORY!

Countdown is a bad fanfic that abandons it's premise and storylines quite fast, and even it's more important pieces were never picked up later on.

Death of the New Gods is an okay read but has nothing to do with FC, or the bit that is imporatant is presented in an entirley different way.

Origin and Omes, as well as Faces of Evil were a big mess, promising important story threads that led to - exactly - nowhere.

Rage of the Red Lanters is simply a GL storyline which would works without any connection to FC.

What you need to read is:
FC 1-7
FC Submit
Superman Beyond 1-2
And the two Batman Tie in issues written by Morrison.

It flows best in my opinion when you read it in the following order:
FC 1-3, Superman Beyond, FC 4, Submit, FC 5, Batman Tie-ins, FC 6 & 7.

Final Crisis: Legion of Three World's is alot of fun. I highly recommend it.

NEO0MJ

So I just got a few Lobo books, Portrait of a Bastich and Unbound.
portrait was pretty great. I loved the humor and it was a lot of fun. Unbound though...that was shit. I really hated it. That 5-star review on amazon tricked me.

Owzers

Uncanny Avengers is weird, i like it, but reads like a few ideas were thrown in a blender along with narrative boxes and some type of Avengers/X-Men smoothie now exists but it has large chunks of unblended bits still in it. As much as i loved Cassaday's artwork on Astonishing, i didn't like his turn on Uncanny at all, Acuna is much preferred.

Tizoc

Speaking of Final Crisis: wouldn't the 3 Legions story take place before FC 6 and 7 as well?

Not much reading this week, but Wonder Woman 20 was good, Supergirl 20 was OK, main highlight for me was Sonic Universe 52 though
sTu2Chf.jpg

Also
Ov21Ahp.jpg

Wool

Is that TMNT a different series than the one they gave out on free comic book day? I felt about 15 years too old to be reading the free issue, and the art wasn't too great.

Where do I go to read about each of the IDW TMNT issues because the garbage IDW website doesn't tell me anything.

And can anyone tell how good this arc of the Thunderbolts is?
3031665-01.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Where do I go to read about each of the IDW TMNT issues because the garbage IDW website doesn't tell me anything.

And can anyone tell how good this arc of the Thunderbolts is?
3031665-01.jpg
Comic Vine probably has the issue by issue info.

As far as Thunderbolts goes....Dillon. Not even once.

frye

Also I think it was a great fit in Ennis' Hellblazer run.

Dillon is definitely *my* Hellblazer artist. I think the best part of Ennis Hellblazer is the interpersonal drama and Dillon always brought that shit to life. You can tell why Ennis made Dillon his go-to dude after those issues.

When it comes to characters acting and interacting with each other, Dillon's pretty much top. Probably wouldn't put him on a superhero book though!

The funny thing about Dillon is that the way he draws is very...flat, and matter-of-factly, if you catch my drift. It's not..."realistic", but it's very natural. So when somebody gets their face smashed in PunisherMAX it's like FUCK! It really hits you, this wild exaggeration showing up in what seemed very relatable, human world.

I would skip out on Countdown to Final Crisis.

This is the Grant Morrison stuff. Here is all you really need:
DC Universe 0
Final Crisis 1-3
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 1-2
Final Crisis: Submit
Final Crisis 4
Batman 682-683
Final Crisis 5-7

The other good stuff is:
Rucka's FC: Revelation and Resist,
Johns FC: Rogues Revenge, and Legion of 3 Worlds
Tomasi's FC: Requiem

Legion of 3 worlds is decent but has absolutely nothing to do with Final Crisis despite having FC slapped on the cover. It's a followup to "Superman & The Legion of Super-Heroes" story arc from Action Comics

Damn, that's disappointing. I was thinking about trying this because I thought the lineup sounded interesting.

Yeah, the lineup sounds interesting, but the art just made the book lose any appeal I may have found in the story. Shit, Thunderbolts hasn't been Thunderbolts since the Diggle and Parker runs.

God Dillion's art looks like satan's asshole juice.

I've.... never heard it put quite that way before. But I wouldn't disagree.

How did you like it? I think the series reads better in trade format than in floppies, but I'm pretty lukewarm on the series either way. Not really one of my favorites.
It was pretty good. But there is something off with Hickmans stories. I don't think he is a good enough character writer to make them stand out and for you to really care for them. I don't think he can write a strong protagonist. And then in the Avengers the baddies aren't really compelling or menacing because they just speak gaudy gibberish and just sort of exist.

Acid08

Banned
It was pretty good. But there is something off with Hickmans stories. I don't think he is a good enough character writer to make them stand out and for you to really care for them. I don't think he can write a strong protagonist. And then in the Avengers the baddies aren't really compelling or menacing because they just speak gaudy gibberish and just sort of exist.
I know what you're saying. The thing I like about MP is that it's more about the whole cast with no clear main character. O guess it could be Oppenheimer but he's hardly a protagonist. Are you going to get the second trade?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I get what you're saying, which is why I like his New Avengers. There's no real bad guy, it's just a bunch of smart guys trying to advert a natural disaster of cosmic proportions. He does that really well I think.

Parch

I've been a little "meh" lately about the Vertigo titles, so it was good to see Vertigo adding Busiek's Astro City to the list. Loved that comic so it's nice to see the comeback. I'd like to see Vertigo become a little more relevant so I think grabbing titles like this is pretty smart business.

I know what you're saying. The thing I like about MP is that it's more about the whole cast with no clear main character. O guess it could be Oppenheimer but he's hardly a protagonist. Are you going to get the second trade?
Yeah I'm going to continue. I forgot to order it this weekend from instocktrades. I got AmVamp first two hardcovers, Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, Casanova two trades, Chew Ominivore for my bro, and a bunch of manga.

Vertigo has some good stuff coming up, I've been waiting for Collider for like a year. They are really trying to get everything they can out of AmVamp. Unwritten crossing over with Fables is bullshit though. And how the hell does Unwritten not have hardcovers yet?

But there is something off with Hickmans stories. I don't think he is a good enough character writer to make them stand out and for you to really care for them.

I agree in this case, but then you have exceptions that come along like East of West, where (despite only being two issues in) the characters are very engaging. But as far as Manhattan Projects goes, I never felt invested in the story or characters. And the color palette definitely didn't help matters.

and a bunch of manga.

Manga, eh? Which books do you read?

Unwritten crossing over with Fables is bullshit though. And how the hell does Unwritten not have hardcovers yet?

I love Unwritten, but don't have any real interest in Fables, so I'm just going to stick with the Unwritten issues. Maybe. And don't they usually wait until a series is done before they start milking it with the hardcovers? Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets and Swamp Thing were all that way.

waht the deluxe aren't even to 75 yet

and its to vol 11 in tpb

I still read it and like it, but I didn't read Cubs in Toyland yet

oh I still gotta read Fairest and the second Cinderella too

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Where does the run of JitM start that everybody is talking about?

Also, going back through Daredevil. Echo was a GREAT character when she was introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom