• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm24

Where does the run of JitM start that everybody is talking about?

Also, going back through Daredevil. Echo was a GREAT character when she was introduced.

#622 i believe. Loved that run

Also, i will constantly say that the Bendis/Maleev run is my favorite comic book run ever

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is that TMNT a different series than the one they gave out on free comic book day? I felt about 15 years too old to be reading the free issue, and the art wasn't too great.

Yes. The FCBD thing was based off the new animated show. My understanding is it's a straight adaptation of the TV show using screencaps. I believe that run is going under the name New Animated Adventures.

The main TMNT line is totally different, and pretty cool.

Where do I go to read about each of the IDW TMNT issues because the garbage IDW website doesn't tell me anything.
Are you asking for issue summaries or just general information about the series?

This may be helpful: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-idw-tmnt-continuity-timeline.html

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is it time for lists? Not a bad week for me:

Daredevil #26
Superior Spider-Man #10
Nowhere Men #5
Sex #3
The Unwritten #49
The Manhattan Projects #14
Five Ghosts #3
Uncanny X-Men #6
Avengers #12
Deadpool #10
Fantastic Four #8

Just recently caught up with Daredevil after grabbing a few trades from a friend, really looking forward to following that monthly now. It's been a great read.

Just got caught up on my stack of "Legends of the Dark Knight" I had been sitting on. Pretty enjoyable reads for the most part. Especially loved issue #3 "Letters to Batman".

The Fialkov issue with "Slam Bradley" was fun too.

I'm glad this kind of one shot fit into any continuity comic exists and wish more characters got this treatment.

Roman

Not surprised in the case of Black Mask, but kind of disheartening to see people being unfamiliar with Deathstroke and calling him generic in this thread.

I admit the trailer doesn't characterize him at all. I'm very hyped for the game after seeing this, though.

Edit: Wow, Anarky in one of the screenshots.

Dysun

Aquaman 20
Batman Inc 11
Green Lantern 20 (Goodbye Johns!)
Green Lantern New Guardians 20
Justice League 20

Avengers 12
Superior Spider-Man 10
Uncanny Avengers 8AU
Uncanny X-Men 6

Looks like a good week, kind of scared to read the last Johns Green Lantern issue. It's been one of my favorite comics for the last decade.

tim1138

Is it list time?

Aquaman 20
Batman Inc 11
Flash 20
Green Lantern 20 (end of an era!)
Green Lantern New Guardians 20
Green Team 1
Justice League 20
Manhattan Projects 14
Red Lanterns 20
Uncanny X-Men 6

Apparently I'm buying all of the comics this week. Stupid back loaded month.

kswiston

Medium sized week for me

Batman Inc #11
Avengers #12
Daredevil #26
Uncanny Avengers #8AU
Uncanny X-Men #6
Young Avengers #5

- I have been skipping all of the Age of Ultron tie-ins, but it seems like the Uncanny Avengers one is important to the main narrative.

Manhattan Projects 14

This book was delayed until next week.

Owzers

#622 i believe. Loved that run

Also, i will constantly say that the Bendis/Maleev run is my favorite comic book run ever

That JiM sale is great, i'm up to the Manchester Gods arc in Marvel Unlimited ( it has the full JiM run up there) and it's worth picking up. Only downside of that sale is the Mighty Thor " Everything Burns" JiM crossover issues and the New Mutants Exiled crossover issues aren't on sale too.

I agree in this case, but then you have exceptions that come along like East of West, where (despite only being two issues in) the characters are very engaging. But as far as Manhattan Projects goes, I never felt invested in the story or characters. And the color palette definitely didn't help matters.

Manga, eh? Which books do you read?

I love Unwritten, but don't have any real interest in Fables, so I'm just going to stick with the Unwritten issues. Maybe. And don't they usually wait until a series is done before they start milking it with the hardcovers? Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets and Swamp Thing were all that way.

I ordered some volumes of Vagabond Real, Flowers of Evil, Attack on Titan and Claymore. I read a bunch of others.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What's some manga you would recommend?

Read anything by Naoki Urasawa such as 20th Century Boys or Monster. Also check out One Piece and Hunter X Hunter for shounen series.

I haven't read anything new in ages. I'm waiting for Vinland Saga and Lone Wolf & Cub to be released here.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Read up on the stuff you quoted and what these other brahs suggested. What have you read before?

Saza, Lone Wolf and Cub has been out here since the the turn of the century. Can't wait for the Vinland Saga hardcovers.

I meant the new omnibus coming out for Lone Wolf. Half of the series from the previously released volumes are expensive on Amazon and only sold by 3rd parties.

kswiston

I haven't really delved that deep into Manga, but I would recommend the following:

- Lone Wolf and Cub
- Akira
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
- Blade of the Immortal

Pretty standard stuff.

Acid08

Banned
Thanks for the recs. The only mangas I've read are FLCL and some of Dragonball(which I eventually want to read all of). Read the first volumes of Uzumaki and Berserk too which were good. So yeah huge manga newbie.

List-O-Rama Day? List-O-Rama Day.

Marvel Comics
A+X #8
Avengers #12
Daredevil #26
Journey Into Mystery #652
Uncanny Avengers #8AU (are these required reading, or can you skip them if you're not buying AoU?)
Uncanny X-Men #6
Young Avengers #5

DC Comics
Batman Incorporated #11 (is this the filler issue?)

Image Comics
Sex #3

IDW Publishing
Godzilla: Half Century War TP (I ordered it from Amazon, so who knows when it'll ship.)

Other Stuff
Lego Batman: The Movie BD+DVD

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out to everyone that the first volume of Journey Into Mystery featuring Sif, arrives on comic shelves this week.

FEB130626 JIM FEATURING SIF TP VOL 01 STRONGER THAN MONSTERS NOW $15.99

K0ymeCC.jpg

This series is continually an unexpected joy to read, with a kickass lead who doesn't take sh*t from anyone and is undeniably sexy without being remotely sexual. Writer Kathryn Immonen presents Asgard as a world of colorful action, surprising humor, and endearing family; and artist Valerio Schiti and colorist Jordie Bellaire knock a home run each month, with pages that are bursting with vibrant life and expressive movement. It is a damn fun read, and if you jumped ship on this book when Kieron Gillen left then you made a COLOSSAL mistake and you're gonna want to come back ASAP. Buy this volume, then check out #652 also out this week, which begins a new arc guest-starring Beta Ray Bill!

Full week myself:

All-Star Western #20
Aquaman #20
Batman Beyond Unlimited #16
Batman The Dark Knight #20
Flash #20
Green Lantern #20
Green Lantern New Guardians #20
Green Team Teen Trillionaires #1
Justice League #20
Red Lanterns #20
Superman #20
Talon #8
Teen Titans #20

Pretty excited for more Booster Gold action, also Batman Beyond is always schway, and pretty curious about Green Team.

Acid08

Banned
List-O-Rama Day? List-O-Rama Day.

Marvel Comics
A+X #8
Avengers #12
Daredevil #26
Uncanny Avengers #8AU (are these required reading, or can you skip them if you're not buying AoU?)
Uncanny X-Men #6
Young Avengers #5

DC Comics
Batman Incorporated #11 (is this the filler issue?)

Image Comics
Sex #3

IDW Publishing
Godzilla: Half Century War TP (I ordered it from Amazon, so who knows when it'll ship.)

Other Stuff
Lego Batman: The Movie BD+DVD

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out to everyone that the first volume of Journey Into Mystery featuring Sif, arrives on comic shelves this week.

FEB130626 JIM FEATURING SIF TP VOL 01 STRONGER THAN MONSTERS NOW $15.99

K0ymeCC.jpg

This series is continually an unexpected joy to read, with a kickass lead who doesn't take sh*t from anyone and is undeniably sexy without being remotely sexual. Writer Kathryn Immonen presents Asgard as a world of colorful action, surprising humor, and endearing family; and artist Valerio Schiti and colorist Jordie Bellaire knock a home run each month, with pages that are bursting with vibrant life and expressive movement. It is a damn fun read, and if you jumped ship on this book when Kieron Gillen left then you made a COLOSSAL mistake and you're gonna want to come back ASAP. Buy this volume, then check out #652 also out this week, which begins a new arc guest-starring Beta Ray Bill!
Yup, JiM is amazing. All you dudes need to give it a try.

Owzers

JiM vol 1 new Marvel Too will be here in my next dcbs shipment, one of the few books that i'm not buying monthly yet not waiting for it to hit Marvel Unlimited.

caught up on Uncanny Avengers and Angel & Faith, next up: WATXM. Angel and Faith hasn't been especially strong overall across this whole series, more so in the middle.

tm24

What the hell, Brett Booth is drawing this months and next issues of JLA. Finch is off already. Wut da heyl.

So who won the pool?

Pull list for this week

DC Comics

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #11
GREEN LANTERN #20
AQUAMAN #20
THE UNWRITTEN #49

Marvel
DAREDEVIL #26
UNCANNY X-MEN #6
AVENGERS #12
YOUNG AVENGERS #5
UNCANNY AVENGERS #8AU
THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #10

List time:

Massive #12
Star Wars: Legacy #3
Aquaman #20
Justice League #20
Unwritten #49
Sex #3
Daredevil #26
Powers Bureau #4
Superior Spider-Man #10
Uncanny X-Men #6

I ordered some volumes of Vagabond Real, Flowers of Evil, Attack on Titan and Claymore. I read a bunch of others.

Flowers of Evil and Claymore are ace. I haven't started picking up the Attack on Titan manga since I read the individual chapters as they come out, but holy shit is that a good series.

I also have a series I read as a guilty-pleasure called Bride's Story. It may sound girly and shit, but it's a well-written (and drawn) historical slice-of-life story that takes place on the Silk Road.

Thanks for the recs. The only mangas I've read are FLCL and some of Dragonball(which I eventually want to read all of). Read the first volumes of Uzumaki and Berserk too which were good. So yeah huge manga newbie.

Definitely continue with Berserk. Shit is amazing, especially the artwork. New chapters don't get released too often these days for whatever reason, but there are still 36 volumes out right now, so that should keep you busy.

frye

Oh shit, Real as in the Takehiko Inoue joint? That's dope as fuuuck. Him and Adachi Mitsuru are the only sports manga dudes I can stand but they're so fucking amazing.

Wool

Nowhere Men #5 this week. I haven't read any of it, but will definitely get the trade. Seems like it's coming out pretty slowly though.

Oh shit, Real as in the Takehiko Inoue joint? That's dope as fuuuck. Him and Adachi Mitsuru are the only sports manga dudes I can stand but they're so fucking amazing.
Yeah I'm just starting with Real, Vagabond, and Claymore. There's just so much out there that I want to read. I'm so behind because I was bedridden for two years and I could barely finish an issue of American comics, so now that I'm feeling better its like I'm see ing the world in a whole new light.

And Brett Booth is done with Nightwing now. Johns has to be apart of the problem, three issues this month have artist switches and one has a writer change. All announced at the drop of the hat.

List time?

List time

Superior Spider Man #10
Uncanny X-Men #6
Fearless Defenders #4AU
Uncanny Avengers #8AU
Scarlet Spider #17
Avengers #12

NEO0MJ

I can't believe I just noticed that if you line the sandman volumes together you'll see a picture of Morpheus. Fun little detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom