• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

At what point do compulsive comic buyers bail out? I read Invincible monthly and i have no regrets doing so, but i loved the series initially and after selling my print issues, i buy the oversized hardcovers. I'm up to vol 7 and vol 8 is releasing soon, but i don't really love the book like i used to to the point where i look forward to owning new volumes.

Compulsive people who hate...things....what would you do in this situation?

Acid08

Banned
At what point do compulsive comic buyers bail out? I read Invincible monthly and i have no regrets doing so, but i loved the series initially and after selling my print issues, i buy the oversized hardcovers. I'm up to vol 7 and vol 8 is releasing soon, but i don't really love the book like i used to to the point where i look forward to owning new volumes.

Invincible is poised to be great going forward, don't give up man.

Uh... first off, the Invincible Vol.8 hardcover is already out. It's sitting on my shelf. :D

Beyond that, if you don't enjoy reading it anymore, drop it. Though I would caution you against dropping Invincible, because they're pretty much done with all the filler shit, so the story is going to be going somewhere soon.

If I was going to drop any Kirkman book at this point, it would be TWD. Stagnant-city, dude.

Owzers

Uh... first off, the Invincible Vol.8 hardcover is already out. It's sitting on my shelf. :D

Beyond that, if you don't enjoy reading it anymore, drop it. Though I would caution you against dropping Invincible, because they're pretty much done with all the filler shit, so the story is going to be going somewhere soon.

If I was going to drop any Kirkman book at this point, it would be TWD. Stagnant-city, dude.

I'm definitely still buying Invincible monthly, i enjoy the book, but I'm at the point where i probably wouldn't be buying the OHC editions if i didn't already have the first seven, I'd just read the monthly issues, enjoy them, and then sell them. So i have to decide if i will continue buying the OHCs after selling my monthly issues, or sell my vol 1-7 OHCs and continue buying/selling the monthlies, because I can't have 7 volumes of something on my shelf and not have the rest.

I still read The Walking Dead too, i get enough enjoyment out of it to continue buying it and selling my issues after an arc is over. The only book i've cut off lately has been Fables, i haven't been enjoying it lately and the issues aren't selling on ebay either.

frye

I used tolerate more crap, especially when I first started reading comics but I'm trying to fix that. When I'm reading something I have to think - does the art and the writing justify my spending 3/4 bones every month? The moment I feel like I'm buying something out of obligation is the moment to bail out. There are exceptions obviously, but I feel better about my pulllist these days than I ever did. No more following only artists or writers.

That said, I stuck with Uncanny Avengers longer than I would have for other comics because I know Remender could do better, which he did eventually.

I'm definitely still buying Invincible monthly, i enjoy the book, but I'm at the point where i probably wouldn't be buying the OHC editions if i didn't already have the first seven, I'd just read the monthly issues, enjoy them, and then sell them. So i have to decide if i will continue buying the OHCs after selling my monthly issues, or sell my vol 1-7 OHCs and continue buying/selling the monthlies, because I can't have 7 volumes of something on my shelf and not have the rest.

I've definitely cut down on my purchasing of trades, but the Invincible Hardcovers are really nice, and thus one of the books I'll continue to buy trades of. But if you want to stop, just stop. It's all about willpower, dude.

I love those Invincible hardcovers, I think I only have the first four. Glad Kirkman is using some of that blood diamond money from TWD to spread the wealth with his other work.

Just finished my DCBS Marvel preorder for July. Only dropped Morbius, Avengers Assemble and Deadpool. Iron Man is hanging on by a thread and ill keep Thunderbolts around because of Soule. Also added the new series and the Directors cuts of Superman Unchained and Batman.

I love those Invincible hardcovers, I think I only have the first four. Glad Kirkman is using some of that blood diamond money from TWD to spread the wealth with his other work.

Even though it's an obscure series and I'm probably one of only like, five people that read it, the Elephantmen hardcovers are gorgeous as well.

Star Wars Legacy #3

All Star Western #20
Aquaman #20
Batman Inc #11

Avengers #12
Daredevil #26
Fantastic Four #8
Journey into Mystery #652
Superior Spider-man #10
Uncanny X-men #6
Young Avengers #5
Journey into Mystery Sif vol 1

What's that series like? Amazing the run it has had while being under the radar.

Reader's digest, it's a futuristic sci-fi series about a race of animal people who were bio-engineered to be used as soldiers. The bulk of it (everything after the War Toys mini-series) is about how, after the war, they were integrated into human society. So it can very much be viewed as a book about social issues as they relate to race. I picked it up when they were up to around issue #20 or so, and I've never once considered dropping it.

Owzers

Opinions on Ultimate Spiderman with Miles Morales as the new Spiderman? Thinking of picking up the trades.

it apparently got really good lately, but i tried four or five issues and the Bendis pacing was too much for me to justify spending the money.

Caught up on Captain America, fun and weird. I don't care much at all for Remender's added Cap childhood though.

ElNarez

Banned
Ain't no day like a Comic-GAF Monday 'cause a Comic-GAF Monday got LISTS:

-All-Star Western #20
-Aquaman #20 (Get hype for Ostrander y'all)
-Batman Incorporated #11
-Flash #20
-Green Lantern #20 (END OF AN ERA)
-Green Team #1 (Franco and Baltazar why is this not on your list flipping heck)
-Justice League #20
-Justice League Dark #20
-Nowhere Men #5
-Avengers #12
-Daredevil #26
-Deadpool #10
-Fantastic Four #8
-Journey Into Mystery #652
-Uncanny Avengers #8AU
-Uncanny X-Men #6
-X-Men Legacy #11
-Young Avengers #5 (Holy Fucking Shit That Preview)

AEREC

Marvel unlimited feels a little sloppy on the iPad. Trying to go through annihilation and some issues take forever to load, cover photos are from a different comic and Annihilation: Super Skrull #1 had pages out of order.

Hopefully the out of order pages isn't too common.

Owzers

Marvel unlimited feels a little sloppy on the iPad. Trying to go through annihilation and some issues take forever to load, cover photos are from a different comic and Annihilation: Super Skrull #1 had pages out of order.

Hopefully the out of order pages isn't too common.

Comics only load half the time for me, if that, have to keep going back out and trying again Xo.

Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1 was great initially but i didn't like how it ended, especially with
Stark at the end. Hell yeah that's what i wanted to know? Ugh. I also didn't like how everything involves parents dying in comics.

AMANDAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

VwdovEx.jpg

Necrovex

Before I go to bed, I became curious if Gaf ever had a Comic of the Year thread? I don't believe I have ever seen one up before, so I don't believe such a thing has ever been created. So, I'm curious why (if my assumption is right about Gaf never having one) such a thread has never been created?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't get the love for Hawkeye but I tend not to say so because I know what the reaction will be.
What do you think about it? Fraction/Aja's Hawkeye is pretty great imo but I'd love to read a negative critique of it. I'll understand if you don't want to elaborate though.

What do you think about it? Fraction/Aja's Hawkeye is pretty great imo but I'd love to read a negative critique of it. I'll understand if you don't want to elaborate though.
It's been a while since I've read it and I know I'm going to get dogpiled, but I picked the series up expecting a slice of life story about a superhero's ordinary everyday experiences, something that would either amuse consistently, get me invested in personal drama, or ideally offer some sort of profound insight with each arc.

Instead I honestly found the series to be quite shallow and perhaps that might be the point and it's just not for me. The comedic moments fell flat; replacing eye with guy just doesn't strike me as particularly clever or funny. Everyone seems to love the dog but aside from the feeding it pizza GAF in-joke I can honestly say I do not understand. I liked that the focus was on the small and the mundane at first, but then I got elaborate heists, car chases, retrieving intel for SHIELD, and a lot of action that just muddled the identity of the comic for me.

At some point I realized that I just wasn't going to get it and dropped it. I don't know what the focus is supposed to be, I don't know where the enjoyment is supposed to come from. I can't think of a single part that stirred a strong reaction in me. I don't hate it, I just don't get it.

Acid08

Banned
You guys recommended reading Lone Wolf and Cub earlier and it sounded so familiar to me but I couldn't put my finger on the reason why. Then it hit me, the movie Shogun Assassin is based off of it. Will definitely have to check it out.

So I just got into comics this week and so far Ive picked up:

Deathstroke 1-20
Batman Long Halloween TPB
Superman Action Comics New 52 Vol 1. HB
Nightwing New 52 Vol 1. TPB
Batman Court of the Owls New 52 Vol 1 TPB
Ultimate Spiderman Vol 1. TPB (In the mail)

Read all the Deathstrokes this week. I liked it. Nothing extrodinary but fun because I like the character. Too bad its cancelled.

Think im gonna start Superman next. Need to catch up on some of these series so I have something to look foward too each month going to the local comic shop.

My wife picked up all the Kabuki books. She has met David Mack a few times (Same college professor). She plans on reading them on our vacation. She liked graphic novels way before me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
haven't bought anything besides Batman INC since the new 52 started.
kinda want to go back and get Batwoman.

Anything at all or anything DC? I've recently started catching up on Batwoman, as a complete newcomer to the character I've found it pretty good, especially the art. At least as far as I've got through it, anyway.

Anything at all or anything DC? I've recently started catching up on Batwoman, as a complete newcomer to the character I've found it pretty good, especially the art. At least as far as I've got through it, anyway.
Anything at all, hadn't bought much Marvel lately at that point.
I have been keeping up on some of the stories just not reading them, been feeling like im missing out on Batwoman.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom