• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronson

And then he starts his own ongoing/team book again afterward right? RIGHT?!
Sorry, I only know for sure where Hex is going next.

K2LULRi.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm only a few issues away from finishing the last seven years of Uncanny X-Men (so much Greg Land...eww) thanks to sales in the last couple months.
Volume two made me go from thinking Scott was wrong to thinking that Scott is a monster. Sure enough, Magneto actually calls him that in the next issue. Magneto!
Seriously, if someone had told Scott, "We found a way for there to be more mutants, but it's straight out of Aliens... the host begging for death, chestbursting, fountain of blood, the whole deal."
Scott: "More mutants? Sweeeeeeet. Get right on that. Don't tell Ororo."

The art is awful except the covers, which are awesome, and the humor is for people who think saying "bro" is inherently hilarious.
I like it. I just don't get the love.

I like it because it makes Hawkeye relateable. I've never been much of a fan of his during a lot of his history, but he's pretty awesome in this.

JEKKI

Constantine really should go back to Hellblazer. I'd rather have it set in it's own universe.
maaan I'm reading Constantine in conjunction with a lot of the Hellblazers I got off the comixology sale.

honestly, the new series cant even compare :(

As someone who never read the old Hellblazer, I've been enjoying the new series. I don't know exactly what happened before, but they've shown and suggested some pretty messed up stuff so far.

Tizoc

I'm working at an Amazon warehouse right now.. items that are bent like that are supposed to be put straight into damage.

I've sent out books much more damaged than that lmao

Anyway, just started reading comics more recently. Really into DC right now and can't really find an entrance point with Marvel comics. DC made it easy with the New52.

Which Marvel comics should I check out? My favorite Marvel hero is Spiderman.

Not really all to much into X-Men.

I like the Avengers as well..anyway thanks in advance

For Spiderman I recommend JMS' run from some years back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For Spiderman I recommend JMS' run from some years back.

But then he'll be reading the magic stuff, sins past, and OMD. Why would you do that to him?

Just start at Brand New Day dude, it's sort of like a soft Spidey reset anyway and has one of the best lizard stories.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But then he'll be reading some of the best Peter Parker/Mary Jane characterization in modern Spider-Man comics.

Good point, but he'd still be reading Sins Past and One More Day. Not many Spidey stories can say they are that bad. Maybe just read JMS's run til Romita Jr leaves the book. It pretty much goes down hill after that anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But then he'll be reading the magic stuff, sins past, and OMD. Why would you do that to him?

Just start at Brand New Day dude, it's sort of like a soft Spidey reset anyway and has one of the best lizard stories.

I like the JMS-Run very much. I think, the much magic-stuff is a very diffrent look on Spidey, but it stays faithful to the roots of the charakter. And it has some of my favorite storylines, like the other or sins past.

Im very sad that charakers like Morlun or Ezekiel werent used after JMS quit.

Brand New Day is also very strong, a very fast paced period. Has also great stories like the grimhunt, new ways to die oder shed.

Since Big Time, Spidey Comics are terrible, in my optinion, but i really look forward to Superior Spider-Man

Hello GAF, btw^^ Its very cool that im allowed to write here now^^ I am looking really forward for some nice discussions :)

I like the JMS-Run very much. I think, the much magic-stuff is a very diffrent look on Spidey, but it stays faithful to the roots of the charakter. And it has some of my favorite storylines, like the other or sins past.

Brand New Day is also very strong, a very fast paced period. Has also great stories like the grimhunt, new ways to die oder shed.

Since Big Time, Spidey Comics are terrible, in my optinion, but i really look forward to Superior Spider-Man

Hello GAF, btw^^ Its very cool that im allowed to write here now^^ I am looking really forward for some nice discussions :)

Welcome to Comic Gaf ! I agree JMS's run was very good for the most part with my favorite stories being Until the Stars Turn Cold, Happy Birthday and the reveal to Aunt May. It goes downhill from Sins Past IMO. Slott's run peaked at Spider-Island after that the book sucked I ended up dropping it after Ends of the Earth.

Tizoc

Then he can skip Sins Past and OMD, I would've linked to books on Amazon but sadly I can't access it at work.
The magic thing isn't even a big issue and Peter himself never gave a crap about it, if anything it just adds to the mystery of his origin which isn't a big deal.

Based on what you wrote, read all of JMS' run but skip Sins Past and Stop at the story that features the New Avengers team.

Welcome to the forums mate =)

8bit

Knows the Score
As someone who never read the old Hellblazer, I've been enjoying the new series. I don't know exactly what happened before, but they've shown and suggested some pretty messed up stuff so far.

Some of the Vertigo stuff is really dark, a particular high(low)light in Jason Aaron's take when
a man under the influence of something finally get to bed the girl of his dreams, only to turn out to be having sex with half a dead dog.

Some of the Vertigo stuff is really dark, a particular high(low)light in Jason Aaron's take when
a man under the influence of something finally get to bed the girl of his dreams, only to turn out to be having sex with half a dead dog.

Oh I understand it's never going to be that same level. I'm just speaking as someone who never read it though my roomate did and I often inquired about some of the covers.

wetwired

Thanks to all those who recommended preacher, I just nailed through the lot of them in about two weeks.

Now I need something to move onto, probably 100 bullets?

Has anyone advance ordered anything from Midtown Comics before? I'm always a little hesitant to order something from somewhere when they don't give you a shipping estimate when you place the order. I was just wondering if it would be in line with their normal shipping costs.

ElNarez

Banned
Hope all of y'all reading F4 don't feel SO STUPID for thinking you could pass on the Age of Ultron tie-in, because STUFF. Holy fuck, STUFF.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else looking forward to reading The Wake next week?

It is a small week for me with just Talon to pick up. I want both the Godzilla:Half Century War and JiM trades but I'll probably just order them later online to save some money.

Tizoc

Stopped reading GL during the 3rd Army arc, might catch up from there in the near future...

Slowly going through Morrison's Supgergods, due to work and he called Captain Marvel a Bishounen....which is something I would never call him. I mean good looking and well fit with a cheerful trusting face, yeah, but Bishonen? lol

While I mostly look down upon inferior Digital comic buyers, the fact that I won't get my stash until later tonight sucks. The price I pay to retain ownership.

Really wanna see what all the positive buzz is about GL.

Really, really wanna get more Booster Gold in my life.

Tizoc

If it's not, it should be. Red (She)Hulk brought back the boring Machine Man
LLShC.gif

Do you mean they changed Machine Man's personality or are you complaining about the Machine Man from the Nextwave comics?
If it's the later I'ma kick you so hard, you'll explode as a supernova.

Splatt

Do you mean they changed Machine Man's personality or are you complaining about the Machine Man from the Nextwave comics?
If it's the later I'ma kick you so hard, you'll explode as a supernova.

Nextwave Machine Man is the only Machine Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom