• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

While I mostly look down upon inferior Digital comic buyers, the fact that I won't get my stash until later tonight sucks. The price I pay to retain ownership.

Really wanna see what all the positive buzz is about GL.

Really, really wanna get more Booster Gold in my life.

O____________O

*waits for monthly dcbs shipment*

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
New Hickman series.

GodisDead1-600x910.jpg

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/22/jonathan-hickmans-god-is-dead-for-avatar/

tim1138

Thanks. I'm curious where they are going with it.

Also what seven new books they plan to announce.

Two of them better be Booster Gold (and freaking bring Skeets back) and Shazam.

But I'm sure it will just be seven more Batman family books.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
DC needs to publish that Harper Row book that fans have been demanding.

I can't pick up my books until later this evening. Is Batman Inc #11 a fill in issue?

Yeah, it is. Burnham wrote it and it's a story about the Japanese Batman. I haven't read through it yet, but it looks fun.

tim1138

DC needs to publish that Harper Row book that fans have been demanding.

I can't pick up my books until later this evening. Is Batman Inc #11 a fill in issue?

It is, but it was a lot of fun. I will gladly follow Burnham to whatever his next project is.

Wool

Has anyone advance ordered anything from Midtown Comics before? I'm always a little hesitant to order something from somewhere when they don't give you a shipping estimate when you place the order. I was just wondering if it would be in line with their normal shipping costs.

I've ordered from Midtown a few times, but I'm not sure what you're asking. It says how much shipping will cost when you get to the payment and shipping info page. I think it took ~10 days to get my shipment, but I live in the middle of nowhere.

It's just going to be six issues? I've never heard of that publisher before either.

Roman

Not to me they won't, but I know what you're saying.

Not a single Bat-Book has been cancelled yet if I'm not mistaken, so they are pretty safe.

The Young Justice category has suffered the largest blows so I would definitely expect some relaunches on that front. Red Robin would be a reasonable choice. You could also make a case for Shazam belonging there. Other than that, I don't really have a clue outside of the obligatory mention of Wally/Cassie/Steph...

tm24

Young Avengers 5! Gillen! Stop messing with my emotions!

Young Loki kinda alive? Trapped by Loki who's using his body? Doing the phantom self thing back? I don't know!

I've ordered from Midtown a few times, but I'm not sure what you're asking. It says how much shipping will cost when you get to the payment and shipping info page. I think it took ~10 days to get my shipment, but I live in the middle of nowhere.

I was going to preorder a couple of books, but the shipping charge is just listed as TBD. They charge for the books when you order them and then charge you for the shipping when they actually ship. I've ordered from them before and the shipping is usually $3.99-$4.99 which is fine, I'm just checking to see if they keep that price for preorders as well.

Damn. Today I made a difficult decision and I decided to cancel all my comic subscription. It's way to expensive to collect single issues here in Germany. I will buying the paperbacks. I can expect a paperback contains a whole story arc, right?

Damn. I am going to miss my monthly Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, Hawkeye etc. dose. :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
DC has definitely had the most cancelations come from more experimental titles. Playing it safe, the Avenger or X Book route, is probably in their best interest, sadly.

The problem with those experimental titles is that they hardly ever got their good talent on them. Talon isn't exactly a safe book but it's doing fairly well.

Roman

Damn. Today I made a difficult decision and I decided to cancel all my comic subscription. It's way to expensive to collect single issues here in Germany. I will buying the paperbacks. I can expect a paperback contains a whole story arc, right?

Damn. I am going to miss my monthly Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, Hawkeye etc. dose. :/

Have you been importing them? I'm fairly new to comics so I don't know whether people use a specific distributor in Germany or something.

I checked out some German versions and it was extremely awkward. Have you considered digital?

tim1138

DC has definitely had the most cancelations come from more experimental titles. Playing it safe, the Avenger or X Book route, is probably in their best interest, sadly.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with what you're saying. My only point was that I won't be buying any new Bat books. Once Inc ends, that's it for me and Batman.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The problem with those experimental titles is that they hardly ever got their good talent on them. Talon isn't exactly a safe book but it's doing fairly well.

China Mieville is top talent in my heart. Same with Matt Kindt.

Acid08

Banned
How many of those cancelled books are actually great books though? I know Dial H got a lot of love for the first arc or so but it cooled off. I really liked Sword of Sorcery but it was hardly experimental. DC plays it just as safe as Marvel does. But Marvel has a series like Hawkeye that does something different with a well established character. DC isn't really doing much like that. Hell even Avengers/New Avengers aren't really typical books.

Have you been importing them? I'm fairly new to comics so I don't know whether people use a specific distributor in Germany or something.

I checked out some German versions and it was extremely awkward. Have you considered digital?
Digital would have been the same amount of money. So nope. You do not have to forget that paperbacks are way easier to storage. If you collect single issues, you have to get wrappers, backboards etc. which costs money as well.

I use blackdog.de to get US comics. You can subscribe specific series and they will collect all the comics and send it to you. Not every issue alone, they will combine all series and you get a bunch each month or every 2nd month. (depends how many series you subscribed. I had about 13 subscription, scrapped all the marvel series now)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How many of those cancelled books are actually great books though? I know Dial H got a lot of love for the first arc or so but it cooled off. I really liked Sword of Sorcery but it was hardly experimental. DC plays it just as safe as Marvel does. But Marvel has a series like Hawkeye that does something different with a well established character. DC isn't really doing much like that. Hell even Avengers/New Avengers aren't really typical books.

That the thing. I'd read a Hawkeye type book starring Clark Kent, except if Lobdell was the writer. Then I'd ignore it.

There's a lot of room for experimenting with established characters, but hardly anyone takes that sort of risk.

Filthy Slug

Is he the Mind MGMT writer? I've wanted to read that.

Also, the writer of the fantastic Frankenstein comic. He co-ghostwrote for the Lemire issues and then took over full-time and killed it, in the good way.

But then DC killed it, in the bad way

Roman

I've also seen a lot of praise for Demon Knights. Nevertheless, you are right, most of the cancelled series struggled to find an audience.

Digital would have been the same amount of money. So nope. You do not have to forget that paperbacks are way easier to storage. If you collect single issues, you have to get wrappers, backboards etc. which costs money as well.

I use blackdog.de to get US comics. You can subscribe specific series and they will collect all the comics and send it to you. Not every issue alone, they will combine all series and you get a bunch each month or every 2nd month. (depends how many series you subscribed. I had about 13 subscription, scrapped all the marvel series now)

Thanks for the information. I assumed shipping would impact the costs significantly but it doesn't seem like it.

Filthy Slug

I've also seen a lot of praise for Demon Knights. Nevertheless, you are right, most of the cancelled series struggled to find an audience.

Cornell's Demon Knights was top-tier New 52 for me. Such a great Medieval adventure. It also features Vandal Savage shielding himself from arrows using a giant meat drumstick.

Filthy Slug

Are you me?

We have like identical taste in comics.

Haha--Dude, we just love classy cancelled comics and Animan Omnibuses!
(It is also odd that our avatars almost mirror each other).

Someone tell me if I should be regretting not picking up Uncanny Avengers 8AU.

Superior Spider-Man: Man this issue was PACKED, loved the art, hated the feels.

Young Avengers: I really liked everything about it, happy I jumped on board this series. I don't quite understand the Loki stuff because I'm like two arcs from finishing JiM

Dysun

GL 20 was epic
Practically a call back to his entire run, with Sinestro-Parallax + Hal-Nekron as the highlights. Loved seeing Sinestro save Ganthet and Sayd in the end.

Yea - Comicbookday.

GL:
Kinda glad that Johns run is finally over. The final was really good but is only nr. 3 (Avengers and Uncanny X-men were better in my eyes) in this weeks charts for me.

This has much to do with the fact that the 60 pages were not nearly enough and I think that the other "stars" (Simon/Kyle/John/Guy/Atrocitus) would have needed much much much more exposition in the finale, as some threats were dealt with too fast or even off panel.

The other books in the family should not have stalled so much during the last few month - that may have given the other lanterns a bit to do on pannel, show how they handle the situation and shine! I can't believe I'm writting this, but how the Bat-team handles crossovers is so much better and more respectful to the others characters...

The final reveal and how Johns ends the story would have made the ending of the book a much more fitting finale for the pre-new 52 universe.
What is John's character/personality now? The idea of the bridge builder does not fit the current John in anyway. That was more his "Pre-Rebith" modus operandi than his current one. Kyle's fate was kinda cool, but ignored his "awesome white lanterness", especially as Simon had shown two month ago that GL rings can heal too. But Guy was spot on! And I look very much forward to see Simon's future on the page!

The run as a whole: The worldbuilding done for GL in the last years was great. It led to a large amount of really good characters that stand on their own and will live on for a long time. All those lanters were a real good idea to build a "cosmic" DCU, despite the stupid insistance to tie so much back to earth and making earth and humans that important in an space opera.

And while loving the idea of the different corps the run of Johns as a whole made me like the character of Hal Jordon less than before. Sometimes it read like a bad fan-fiction written by a superfan of a character and not a professional's work.

GL:NG
Okay, the series never came into it's own over the last 22 issues (counting aniv. + 0 issue). While getting better once Kyle start to master the emotional spectrum the series had the problem that it tried to build up a - it pain's me to say this, as Kyle is my favourite of all GLs - secondary character, that would never be allowed to take down a really big bad guy. For years we are told that Kyle and White Lanterns are a big deal but the book could never show why. I fear that their will be a large amount of worfing in his future, if they do not explain his powers fast.
But the small emotionally charged scenes worked very well and are a good way to differenciate the NEW52 Kyle from his old self. The art was okay for the most part, despite Kyle looking really bad :(

Avengers: OH YEAH :D Iron Man, the one true superior Spider-Man, Thor and Hyperion stole the issue and Hickman and Spencer seem to be a terrific team. So much too love. This book is hitting all the right notes!
Now I want a book about Sp-Ock teaching fulltime written whoever was responsible for his dialoge in this issue.

Uncanny X-men: Yeah the reveal was spoiled a few weeks ago, but the main story and the art were was out of this world. This is how you do demons and limbo! Bendis has the voice and tone down for this series and I hope that it will continue to be as good as it is for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom