• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Sorry, ElNarez, but YA is balls. I'm gonna stick it out because I want to see what's up with Speed and Prodigy, but if they are written in this tumblr fanfiction style, I'm out for good.

I mean seriously, Loki actually said "for the lulz" in the latest issue. CMON.
SO IN TOUCH WITH THE TEENZ

ElNarez

Banned
Sorry, ElNarez, but YA is balls. I'm gonna stick it out because I want to see what's up with Speed and Prodigy, but if they are written in this tumblr fanfiction style, I'm out for good.

I mean seriously, Loki actually said "for the lulz" in the latest issue. CMON.

You are balls. Seriously. Loki is obnoxious and evil and terrible, of course he's gonna unironically say "lulz". His thing is to be a little shit always.

Fuck man, it's a pretty smart book with tons of layers and character and shit and you guys are saying it's balls when it's playing to the Tumblr crowd. To which I say "no shit Sherlock, where the fuck do you think teens are today?". Young Avengers is a teen book for people who are teens right here and right now, and it works wonderfully in that way, just like 90s teen books were all about dudes with rude attitudes.

But also: Fuck Avengers Arena.

But also also: can't expect manchildren to get anything about being a teen lol

Acid08

Banned
You are balls. Seriously. Loki is obnoxious and evil and terrible, of course he's gonna unironically say "lulz". His thing is to be a little shit always.

Fuck man, it's a pretty smart book with tons of layers and character and shit and you guys are saying it's balls when it's playing to the Tumblr crowd. To which I say "no shit Sherlock, where the fuck do you think teens are today?". Young Avengers is a teen book for people who are teens right here and right now, and it works wonderfully in that way, just like 90s teen books were all about dudes with rude attitudes.

Tons of layers? It's as shallow as most teenagers. Are you 15? Is that why you "get" it?

Owzers

*imagines reading Runaways where everyone is annoying and the plot sucks*

That would be Young Avengers. I'll give it more time to see if Gillen can come up with a story that is more than " TEENAGERS!" Okay, everyone isn't totally annoying in Young Avengers, and i do like Loki. But through the first four issues the parents plot seems to exist only to have the characters interact with each other, much like Bendis' Avengers book only existed so that everyone can stand around a table eating pizza while talking like Spider-Man.

ElNarez

Banned
Tons of layers? It's as shallow as most teenagers. Are you 15? Is that why you "get" it?

If you're just gonna do a cursory reading of it of course you're gonna miss stuff you've never tried to understand me you're not even my real dad fuck you i'm leaving.

But seriously, McKelvie is fucking great at putting lots of little touches and details that add a whole fucking lot to the story.

But also, maybe? Maybe it's like one of those ringtones that people over 20 can't hear. Shit, I'm turning 21 in July maybe issue #7 is going to be The Fucking Pits. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Get all those feels. #believe.

kswiston

No need to fight over Young Avengers and Avengers Arena. Marvel will cancel both series when they continue to slide their way down the Top 100 chart.

AEREC

DC...please get rid of these stupid channel 52 news broadcasts at the end of your comics. Just ran into the same one for like the fourth time in WW #17 and the shit felt so out of place. Really hope these don't show up in Batman comics.

Owzers

DC...please get rid of these stupid channel 52 news broadcasts at the end of your comics. Just ran into the same one for like the fourth time in WW #17 and the shit felt so out of place. Really hope these don't show up in Batman comics.

I've never read a whole Channel 52 segment...just seemed like a blob of arbitrary text from the panels i looked at.

Acid08

Banned
I just ignore them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It feels like they're trying to do the newspaper thing that Marvel does where they do a quick over view of things you need to know, except more intrusive and annoying and completely useless.

ReiGun

Between the Green Team and this month's Supergirl, there's too much fun and upbeatness going on in the DCU. I need mah dark and grits!

Lol there's no depth at ALL. The whole plot is just "Omg parents vs their teenage children. So RAW, so REAL." It's like the most ham fisted metaphor ever. Your obsessed defense of this shitty book is hilarious though. Name calling because someone doesn't like this mess, who is the man child here?

ElNarez

Banned
Lol there's no depth at ALL. The whole plot is just "Omg parents vs their teenage children. So RAW, so REAL." It's like the most ham fisted metaphor ever. Your obsessed defense of this shitty book is hilarious though. Name calling because someone doesn't like this mess, who is the man child here?

See, A Smart Cool Teen would've seen the lack of capitalization and the addition of a "lol" to mean that This Is Not A Serious Argument, and that I was making comedy because we're arguing about fucking funnybooks so levity seems fucking appropriate.

And, yo, I can make the exact same point you made. So I will.

Lol there's no depth at ALL. The whole plot is just "Omg teens killing one another. So RAW, so REAL." It's like the most ham fisted metaphor ever.

In conclusion: Fuck Avengers Arena.

ReiGun

JL 20:
Lol @ Batman's anti-WW plan being "Call Superman." I really want to know all of what went down during that five year gap in the book (even if I do really hate this new, angry J'onn). The Trinity War promo kinda gave away Atom being a double agent. Element Woman is my new favorite character. She's out there buying burgers for the homies.

Batman Inc: What's with all this fun slipping through the cracks? Not my favorite issue of the week, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Aquaman: One of DC's new books better be an Others spinoff. Seriously. Also, relevant.

Young Avengers: Yeah, I think I'm done here. Art aside, I just cannot get into this one.

dammit my shop must be grimdark
Your shop is clearly against smiles. Too many people smiling and having friendly conversations in these books.

I hope it marks an actual change in the tone of Supergirl going forward. It was so generic to start.

Seriously. I really wanted to love Supergirl in the beginning but I just could not get into it at all. This last issue was much more up my alley.

Avengers Arena has good writing DESPITE the premise, which was universally criticized when it was announced. I don't hate when there are very basic plots, the writing just has to make up for it. YA doesn't do that. There's moments of brilliance like when Loki insinuates that Hulkling is a figment of Wiccans imagination or any scene between Hawkeye and Marvel Boy. But then Wiccan opens his mouth with his Degrassi reductive thoughts and it's the worst book of all time. I wish he had killed himself in the last issue.

Nudull

Banned
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY WAS FUCKING AMAZING PLEASE BUY THIS BOOK.

I'll be getting vol. 1 this week, along with Godzilla: Half-Century War. My LCS just so happened to have a trade of Priest's Black Panther, too, so I should get to grabbing that, soon. Also, X-Men, next week. Hype.

tim1138

JL 20:
Lol @ Batman's anti-WW plan being "Call Superman." I really want to know all of what went down during that five year gap in the book (even if I do really hate this new, angry J'onn). The Trinity War promo kinda gave away Atom being a double agent. Element Woman is my new favorite character. She's out there buying burgers for the homies.

Batman Inc: What's with all this fun slipping through the cracks? Not my favorite issue of the week, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Aquaman: One of DC's new books better be an Others spinoff. Seriously. Also, relevant.

Young Avengers: Yeah, I think I'm done here. Art aside, I just cannot get into this one.

Your shop is clearly against smiles. Too many people smiling and having friendly conversations in these books.

Seriously. I really wanted to love Supergirl in the beginning but I just could not get into it at all. This last issue was much more up my alley.

JL20: I love
Element Woman so much. I'm so happy they brought her through Flashpoint quirky personality intact.

I like Arena and Young. They're both rad.

YA is pretty much like Buffy to me. Anvil-sized metaphors for growing up, great dialogue, and awesome characters.

And a much higher budget.

Tizoc

Hmm, I have the 1st edition of Supergods and Morrison incorrectly refered to Mary Baston as being Billy's cousin, when she's his sister. I assume this is corrected in the 2nd edition, but that's an unfortunate error to make given his love and knowledge of the genre.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm really enjoying Arena too, despite not knowing who almost all of the characters are (I read the first two volumes of Runaways so I know Chase and Niko). Cammi is pretty awesome. I really like the art too. Shame if that got cut short.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
hell yeah, the new issue looked amazing and had a ton of wonderful spreads

Guys, if a decent writer got on Flash, it would be one of DC's best comics. The art is on another level but the writing is (I haven't read the past few ishs) just so damn bland. It's not offensive, it's just... there.

Also, I didn't really like the redone Rogues. Johns hit the Rogues dead-on, and Final Crisis Rogues' Revenge is seriously the best characterization of the team, so maybe I'm just a bit jaded that they're not dominating as characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom