• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some Punisher recommendations, GAF. The only stuff I've read was the Welcome Back Frank stuff by Ennis, the recent Punisher Max stuff, and Marvel Universe versus the Punisher. I really enjoy the dark, anti-hero elements of the character, but I'm not even sure where to start.

Any must-reads for him? Anything I should avoid?

I need some Punisher recommendations, GAF. The only stuff I've read was the Welcome Back Frank stuff by Ennis, the recent Punisher Max stuff, and Marvel Universe versus the Punisher. I really enjoy the dark, anti-hero elements of the character, but I'm not even sure where to start.

Greg Rucka Punisher is a must read.

cEVfUrA.jpg

Rick Remender omnibus, which includes the Frankencastle stuff. And also the Greg Rucka run.

Bonethug

I have heard good things about:

Punisher MAX: Born & Punisher MAX: From First to Last (The Tyger, The Cell, The End)

Nudull

Banned
Frank Quitely cover for Elephantmen #50. :D

I know I'm one of only twelve people in the world that read this awesome book, but I'm compelled to mention it.

I want to read Elephantmen, myself, although I'm completely swamped with what I'm ultimately going to drop/add to my pull list, once June comes around. That cover is quality, nonetheless. :)

It would be really funny if Batman 66 outsells the mainline bat titles. I hope we get a Batman 88 series that takes place in Burtons universe (but no schumacher stuff)

Tizoc

I want to read Elephantmen, myself, although I'm completely swamped with what I'm ultimately going to drop/add to my pull list, once June comes around. That cover is quality, nonetheless. :)

Elephantmen is one of the bloodiest and creepiest series I've ever read *shivers*
Still need to re-read and catch up on it.

So, my girlfriend got into my comics and really enjoyed Saga, to the point she went put and bought them. She has also expressed an interest in Witchblade but I literally have zero idea of where someone would start with that. Any suggestions for trades / single issues I should look for, for her?

And with these two series as references, any other suggestions? I'm like 99.9% capes and I don't think she has much interest in capes outside of Batman (which I can cover).

I'm fairly certain this is like the fifth time I started ranting about these so pardon in advance to those, who have read these recommendations before :p If you don't feel like reading the whole Max-run by Ennis, I advise you to read the following tpb's: Up Is Down And Black Is White, The Slavers and Widowmaker. They are brilliant stories and work perfectly fine as stand-alone stories as well.

When I was first reading The Slavers and this page came along, I knew that stuff was going to get real:

Elephantmen is one of the bloodiest and creepiest series I've ever read *shivers*
Still need to re-read and catch up on it.

I wouldn't call it either of those things. But they do deal with social issues by using the Elephantmen themselves in lieu of whatever [racial group / sexual preference / oppressed people / etc.] is being examined. Beyond that, it often reads like a science-fiction-themed crime series.

sca2511

So, my girlfriend got into my comics and really enjoyed Saga, to the point she went put and bought them. She has also expressed an interest in Witchblade but I literally have zero idea of where someone would start with that. Any suggestions for trades / single issues I should look for, for her?

And with these two series as references, any other suggestions? I'm like 99.9% capes and I don't think she has much interest in capes outside of Batman (which I can cover).

I also wanted to get into Witchblade, seemed interesting and didn't know it was connected to The Darkness (only played the game, liked it). It seems the series/universe rebooted? It rebooted at Witchblade #151 I believe.

Owzers

O_________O Marvel Unlimited betrays me yet again, they have every issue of Jim/Mighty Thor Everything Burns but the last issue of Mighty Thor, #21, despite having #22, and i didn't notice until i've read all the way up to the missing issue.

Boo. If they don't update monday with that issue i will have to write an email requesting it get updated asap to no avail.

Tizoc

Speaking of Punisher max, how was the Barracuda spin-off?

Well, the joke's on you now that you'll have to wait until vol 6 is released!

The spinoff was good as far as Garth Ennis stories go.

I wouldn't call it either of those things. But they do deal with social issues by using the Elephantmen themselves in lieu of whatever [racial group / sexual preference / oppressed people / etc.] is being examined. Beyond that, it often reads like a science-fiction-themed crime series.

I think you forgot about the cut open female bodies that were pregnant with the humanized animals along with the branding and other gross stuff.
I specifically remember such things creeping me out lol.

Owzers

What is your stance on these DC digital first titles? Digital? Print issues collecting two digital issues? Trades in the year 3000?

right now i have the print issue #1 of Legends of the Dark Knight and Lil Gotham, and the digital #1 of Adventures of Superman. Haven't bought a second issue of any of them, debating what i'm going to do with Batman 66.

JEKKI

finished Locke & Key vol.3 this morning.

daaaaaaaaang, and vol.4 started off crazy too!!!

everybody needs to read this series!!

I'm gonna go buy some valiant trades today lol.

What is your stance on these DC digital first titles? Digital? Print issues collecting two digital issues? Trades in the year 3000?

right now i have the print issue #1 of Legends of the Dark Knight and Lil Gotham, and the digital #1 of Adventures of Superman. Haven't bought a second issue of any of them, debating what i'm going to do with Batman 66.
I think the whole XBone fiasco has put whatever doubt I had about being print only to rest.

U2NUMB

So I have not been into comics for over 20 years.. just starting to get back into it and while at my local shop today I discovered the concept of a pull list. Just filled mine out but so far and I seem to gravitate to DC overall. Picked up a ton of 1 dollar comics to cover a number of series that I was not familiar with. Good place to start.. those cheap bins.

So just popping my comic cherry again by posting here and going to read back through the threads to get some suggestions from all of you.

So far this thread has been great!

Hi guys! I have had this huge desire to jump into comics recently. Outside of some Archie stuff when I was a kid I've had zero exposure to anything. I would like to jump in but just the shear amount of comics available in my local store plus the fact that I would be jumping in the middle of some story has me overwhelmed.

Any recommendations for me on where I should start or what would be a good introduction? I tend to gravitate more towards DC characters although I would be ok trying out anything recommended. Thanks in advance!

I think you forgot about the cut open female bodies that were pregnant with the humanized animals along with the branding and other gross stuff.
I specifically remember such things creeping me out lol.

Eh. That's what big evil corporations do. Go read a few issues of Crossed (or, well, most anything published by Avatar) and you'll change your mind really quick about what constitutes "gory and creepy".

finished Locke & Key vol.3 this morning.

daaaaaaaaang, and vol.4 started off crazy too!!!

everybody needs to read this series!!

You don't need to sell me on it, I started reading it around the time the second trade came out.

I also wanted to get into Witchblade, seemed interesting and didn't know it was connected to The Darkness (only played the game, liked it). It seems the series/universe rebooted? It rebooted at Witchblade #151 I believe.

She has also expressed an interest in Witchblade but I literally have zero idea of where someone would start with that. Any suggestions for trades / single issues I should look for, for her?

Witchblade is a long series at this point. Depending on how far back you want to go, I'd pick up the Witchblade: Rebirth trades, which start at issue #151 (volume 3 comes out next month, I believe). If you want to go a bit further back from there, then the first three trades* of Artifacts are a must. It was a big Top Cow-wide crossover that involved all of their big characters, and leads heavily into the beginning of Witchblade: Rebirth. Beyond that, The Witchblade: Redemption trades would be next on the list, as that stuff took place first. Depending on how far back you go, just Wiki the rest.

So, chronologically, Witchblade: Redemption, Artifacts, Witchblade: Rebirth -> Then to the individual floppies as they come out.

*After Issue #13, and thus, TPB Vol.3, Artifacts was turned from a maxi series, into an ongoing series. So any issues after #13 are non-essential reading as it relates to Witchblade (though Witchblade did recently tie-in with The Darkness for a few issues).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Unless it is written by Neil Gaiman, I hope not.

Marvel doesn't really need their own Pandora-like character running around.

Sentry to be rebranded as MarvelMan in 2014

:p

no to that damn spoiler. fuck.

but i wouldnt mind kid marvelman and the void being connected somehow. it would make too much sense that they would be

Tizoc

Eh. That's what big evil corporations do. Go read a few issues of Crossed (or, well, most anything published by Avatar) and you'll change your mind really quick about what constitutes "gory and creepy".

Dude I KNOW about Crossed, and that's as far as I wanna get close to that series lol.
Granted I prob. just used the incorrect words, but it's still a series I wanna re-read again despite the gross stuff I remember.

Hi guys! I have had this huge desire to jump into comics recently. Outside of some Archie stuff when I was a kid I've had zero exposure to anything. I would like to jump in but just the shear amount of comics available in my local store plus the fact that I would be jumping in the middle of some story has me overwhelmed.

Any recommendations for me on where I should start or what would be a good introduction? I tend to gravitate more towards DC characters although I would be ok trying out anything recommended. Thanks in advance!

As far as DC goes, here's a quick rundown per character:

Superman:
All-Star Superman
Smallville Season 11 (I've never watched the series but the comic is great and fun)
Anything written by Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison or Geoff Johns

Batman:
Anything by Grant Morrison, check Wikipedia for a reading order of his run, but start with Batman and Son

Wonder Woman:
Gail Simone's run from before the New 52 reboot
Current Wonder Woman series by Brian Az is very good IMO, but changes her origin

Green Lantern:
Anything by Geoff Johns

The Flash:
Anything by Geoff Johns too
Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Mark Millar all wrote various good Flash stories back in the 90s too

Aquaman:
Current run by Geoff Johns is pretty good

Jonah Hex:
Current All-Star Western series is good
His pre-reboot series were mostly stand alone so grab any TPB you find

That's it off the top of my head, any specific characters you're interested in?

snorggy

I noticed Locke & Key is on sale on comixology and I've heard great things about it. But I can't make sense of the various subtitles. Is there a reading order? Or are they all individual self-contained stories in the same universe?

I noticed Locke & Key is on sale on comixology and I've heard great things about it. But I can't make sense of the various subtitles. Is there a reading order? Or are they all individual self-contained stories in the same universe?

They're numbered just like any other series. Each subtitle you see is a a story-arc. The chronological order to the currently-available trades is:

Welcome To Lovecraft
Head Games
Crown of Shadows
Keys To The Kingdom
Clockworks

Dude I KNOW about Crossed, and that's as far as I wanna get close to that series lol.
Granted I prob. just used the incorrect words, but it's still a series I wanna re-read again despite the gross stuff I remember.

Superman:
All-Star Superman
Smallville Season 11 (I've never watched the series but the comic is great and fun)
Anything written by Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison or Geoff Johns

Batman:
Anything by Grant Morrison, check Wikipedia for a reading order of his run, but start with Batman and Son

Wonder Woman:
Gail Simone's run from before the New 52 reboot
Current Wonder Woman series by Brian Az is very good IMO, but changes her origin

Green Lantern:
Anything by Geoff Johns

The Flash:
Anything by Geoff Johns too
Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Mark Millar all wrote various good Flash stories back in the 90s too

Aquaman:
Current run by Geoff Johns is pretty good

Jonah Hex:
Current All-Star Western series is good
His pre-reboot series were mostly stand alone so grab any TPB you find

That's it off the top of my head, any specific characters you're interested in?

Thank you! For the older stuff would I find it on DC's website under digital comics or is there another place I should look? Flash is a character I'm definitely interested in.

Batman:

This is not a good gateway comic. But your other suggestions are good.

Batman:
Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Court of the Owls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom