• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile in the UK we've only just wrapped up Fear Itself as "Hulk Vs Dracula" draws to a close in The Incredible Hulks, and elsewhere in the book Banner and Hulk seem to have become seperate entities. Waiting for an explanation on that one.

Astonishing Spider-Man runs with "No Turning Back" and part three of "Carnage USA", neither of which I'm crazy about.

Avengers Assemble prints the next few parts of "The Return of Norman Osborn", which has introduced Storm to the Avengers. Which is good, I like Storm.

This concludes your dull UK reprints update.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of how the story clicks and flows Locke and Key is close to perfection.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
IMG_20130524_171102.jpg

First comics I've bought since April 07. A lot of the Hawkeye aren't 1st prints and there's a couple missing from Hawkeye, UA and NA but they're going to try and order them in for me in time for when my subscription goes out next month. My sub consists of the comics shown plus X-Men and Lazarus.

I never read a Locke & Key in my life. The logo always looked so bush league.

I guess I should check it out?

I don't watch horror movies, read horror comics, or anything like that. I still think Locke & Key is AH-MAY-ZING. One of the best comics I've read in the last two years. The story is superb.

Huh, Green Team is surprisingly charming. I think I appreciate that they gave us a character to "relate to" who had no idea what was going on. Good way to introduce the concepts.

tim1138

It's got lots of pouches and straps.

In all seriousness I followed it for a few weeks but it just wasn't worth the money, now I get a hot chocolate instead.

Yeah I think I'll pass.

GrandHarrier said:
Huh, Green Team is surprisingly charming. I think I appreciate that they gave us a character to "relate to" who had no idea what was going on. Good way to introduce the concepts.

Yeah it was a really fun book. The charm shouldn't be surprising considering who the writers are though, Art and Franco rule.

This book goes straight in with Vibe, if it gets cancelled I'm blaming everyone here for not giving it a chance.

ElNarez

Banned
And since no one talks about that book, I'm guessing it's not very good.
Thanks!

It's 90s throwback as heck, but -and I think that's thanks to Larroca's art- it carefully avoids the pitfall of extravagance guys like Liefeld and his ilk had fallen into. It's great fun, and the one Marvel book by COMICS SUPERSTAR DENNIS HOPELESS that I will absolutely endorse the shit out of.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
So my fiance has somewhat of a ladycrush on Poison Ivy, seeing that she controls plants and is a redhead. I have
Hush
already, what else can I buy that has a lot of Poison Ivy? I know there's a Harley/Ivy trade, but I didn't see it at my local shop. Other suggestions?

Tizoc

So my fiance has somewhat of a ladycrush on Poison Ivy, seeing that she controls plants and is a redhead. I have
Hush
already, what else can I buy that has a lot of Poison Ivy? I know there's a Harley/Ivy trade, but I didn't see it at my local shop. Other suggestions?

There's Harley and Ivy:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401213332/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think there's a Kevin Smith or Batman Odyssey story that had a nude Poison Ivy in it too.

Kwixotik

I'm trying to find a gift for my girlfriend's brother. Typically I'd buy him a video game, but he has to wear a cast right now so he can't play anything. So now I'm thinking about getting him a comic. He's not into comics right now, just because he hasn't been exposed to any.

My first thought was to get him Batman: DKR and Year One, but apparently he's not that into the new Batman movies so I don't know if he'd be into that sort of thing. I do know he really likes the new Spiderman movie, but I don't know of any good self-contained Spiderman stories. Do you guys know any?

Other stuff is up for grabs too though, if you guys have any off the cuff recommendations. I think he'd like the new Hawkeye series, but I want to get him something he'll recognize so I don't know. If you can't tell, he's not much into grimdark stuff.

Edit: He's like 18 btw

NEO0MJ

My first thought was to get him Batman: DKR and Year One, but apparently he's not that into the new Batman movies so I don't know if he'd be into that sort of thing. I do know he really likes the new Spiderman movie, but I don't know of any good self-contained Spiderman stories. Do you guys know any?

So you're looking for mainstream hero comics that are easy to get into? I guess Spider Island could be his thing, I bought it as a gift for a friend and he really liked it.
Does he like Punisher? Maybe Punisher Max vol.1?

I'm trying to find a gift for my girlfriend's brother. Typically I'd buy him a video game, but he has to wear a cast right now so he can't play anything. So now I'm thinking about getting him a comic. He's not into comics right now, just because he hasn't been exposed to any.

Other stuff is up for grabs too though, if you guys have any off the cuff recommendations. I think he'd like the new Hawkeye series, but I want to get him something he'll recognize so I don't know. If you can't tell, he's not much into grimdark stuff.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1, I would go with the Hardcover or the Ultimate Collection.

JEKKI

Locke & Key!!!

I have the first trade, it's real good!!

I picked up the 2nd one digitally last month, to read on vacation.

I seriously read thru the whole thing on the train... it was too good.

I told myself the series is too good to buy digitally, I needa go back and pick up the actual books!!

unfortunately I have yet to set aside the money to do so,

and the comixology sale hit just when I thought I was a week away from picking up vol. 3

-_-

oh well, the prices are so good I can't not pick up the rest of them,

I am holding off on Omega tho... that one'll definitely get picked up physical when it comes out!!

Tizoc

That's the one I meant. I looked but they either didn't have it with the rest of the batman stuff or it was out of stock. And I kind of want to get that one for her, just to see her reaction to it. Happen to have the name of it?

Well I've learned of it while lurking 4chan but I forgot the name, what I can confirm is that it's from 2011 or 2012 >_<.

Ultimate Spiderman is good, and then there's JMS' Spiderman run.
Spiderman and Wolverine by Jason Aaron is good too I think.

Alternatively there's Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1 is fun and easy to get into. Basically prior to the events of the comic, Matt did some bad things and is now working to get over them and do things right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You can't go wrong with Hawkeye.

There are like 3 or 4 different self-contained Spider-man stories as well. Personally Spider-man/Wolverine or Spider-man/Human Torch are a lot of fun and easy to get into. The latter takes place over the different phases of Spidey's history.

Daredevil is awesome too.

Batman 66 sounds awesome, really hope Parker can deliver because a lot of the times he is pretty blah.

Anyone else expecting an Angela series by the end of the year?

Mr. Sam

Who was saying that if anymore Batman books come out they aren't getting them? Batman '66 looks awesome. Lighthearted crime solving with goofy looking villains? Yes.

Has this not been done yet? It feels like something which should have been done sometime in the last forty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom