• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafro

Iron Man sale on Comixology to celebrate the release of the new film. Includes Warren Ellis' Extremis and the first 33 issues of Matt Fraction's run.

Iron Man sale on Comixology to celebrate the release of the new film. Includes Warren Ellis' Extremis and the first 33 issues of Matt Fraction's run.

I just reread extremis last week. I forgot how much the original Iron Man movie drew from extremis. Can't say I was a fan of how the artist drew people though. The armor looked good though.

And the first issues (before it got renumbered) of Fraction's were really good too.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Finally read all of Scott Pilgrim. It was bloody amazing, and I am so happy I waited for the set to come out. I couldn't imagine waiting all those years for this series to be completed.

Read it two years ago to go with the film but haven't touched it since. Waiting for the colour hardbacks before I do it all again :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Read it two years ago to go with the film but haven't touched it since. Waiting for the colour hardbacks before I do it all again :)

Yeah, the books are great. I love Edgar Wright and the film is fine by itself, but there's so much depth and character development that has to be sacrificed fitting all the books into one film that it doesn't come close. Would love to pick up the colour versions to complement my B&W ones (especially as the new covers look awesome) but the price tag's still a little high when I have the originals. I would get digital versions instead but UK Comixology doesn't have the licensing to sell them. Boooo.

Mindwipe

I'm on Team Cyclops ever since it became clear he was the only character in the Marvel universe who was allowed to have character development stick now, post OMD. Everyone else is an archtype, but Cyclops has been changed by his experiences and is still with Emma rather than them bringing Jean back again.

EDIT: Which is the same reason I don't understand why anyone is upset about Superior Spiderman. Like that's going to stick.

Mafro

I just reread extremis last week. I forgot how much the original Iron Man movie drew from extremis. Can't say I was a fan of how the artist drew people though. The armor looked good though.

And the first issues (before it got renumbered) of Fraction's were really good too.
Yeah Adi Granov is really, really good at drawing mechanical stuff but a lot of his faces can look the same. The woman in particular can look far too similar and always seem to have this weird pointy nose thing going on.

How is Fraction's run?
Mostly very good, but I was a bit disappointed by the finale. Certainly better than Gillen's run so far.

I read Infinity Gauntlet the first time today and I have to say what a read. It was such a fun ride. Many great things happen and I was excited to see the next climax of the event. Great and enjoyable.

But it is still nothing compared to Stan Lee's Parable. Re-read the other day and I wish many Marvel comics would be like it. Only 54-pages story, but with so many themes and motives. How much I wished Stan Lee and Moebius would have worked on more comics together.

Reading about Hawkeye #10 makes the wait unbearable for me. I cannot wait for my German retailer to send out this month's comic to me.

snorggy

The artwork in Extremis was really distracting to me. It was really sterile and lifeless. No real charm or character to it. Cool story though.

DOOM Don't give a Fuck about no incursion

1367527445.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45272

Wool

Awesome. But uh, what is going on with Storm's boobs

iFT6t1N.png

I think her left shoulder/arm is what makes this so disorienting. Is the arm behind her back, or is it just overlapping with her black costume in the panel below?

Edit: That or she has implants.

kswiston

Having Wolverine go back and kill Pym in the first place seemed extremely out of character. All of the big players in the Marvel universe are indirectly responsible for a ton of bad things happening.

Oh cool, I didn't see that. I check checked twitter and Aja tweeted the pages.

Yeah, it popped up in another fashion for me (the pages I mean), so I headed over to CBR and boom! The column was up.

Just finished reading it actually, it's a great read. Light spoilers, but it's still overall good stuff.

So, wait. Does Pym's death actually alter 616 Marvel? As in, you guys just got Flashpointed? Or is this a "This is what would happen if that actually affected 616"?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, wait. Does Pym's death actually alter 616 Marvel? As in, you guys just got Flashpointed? Or is this a "This is what would happen if that actually affected 616"?

Well it did change a bunch of stuff, but I doubt Bendis won't be setting it all right by the end of the event.

Gartooth

Depends on what happens next, some historical events will be altered, but some will stay the same. Basically they came up with an explanation that if time is somehow altered, the universe will try to make sure many of the events will play out the same way by using a stand-in such as having someone else take Pym's role in a certain event to make sure they happen the same as before. However not all events will remain the same, as the major ones will play out differently without Pym's presence.

For all we know, Bendis might make it so nothing happened in the first place so it's too soon to call.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaaaan so I read the first trade of Uncanny X-Force.

man this is like the worst comic ever!!

like every panel is how can we possibly fuck our heroes up in the worst way possible??

then u turn the page and they're like "nah we cool. check it out we got dat mind altering reality powers type shyt too!!"

and it's funny coz there's a guy whose real name sounds french but his xmen name is Fantomex.

it's like going into a place called Taqueria Javier but they only serve baguettes.

ghostmind

Something from a Bendis interview on Newsarama:

There is massive abuse of the space-time continuum going on. This is not just a little tickle. These are massive abuses of time and space from people who know better, and are just doing it anyhow. And yes, you look at Wolverine and go, "What other choice could he possibly have had?" But you add it all up, and something's going on. There will be ramifications. Imagine a character like Angela — where the hell did she come from? That sounds like a ramification. She came all the way from another company! [Laughs.]

That's another one of those things we always play with; Marvel Comics, just as an organism itself, is in this great position to really examine that fantastic sci-fi idea of, "What happens if you keep poking that thing with a stick?"

They are building up to something big... maybe in 2014, or later?

ElNarez

Banned
They are building up to something big... maybe in 2014, or later?

Wolverine will go through time in order to set history right again; outside of spacetime, he meets Angela, who tells him a big threat is coming and to fight it off, she has to rewrite history so three timelines are merged together.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Brian Wood's Conan the Barbarian is fun so far. I wish Cloonan stayed as the artist. I'm going to read Northlanders Volume 1 to continue reading sword and sorcery stuff by Wood.

Necrovex

Yeah, the books are great. I love Edgar Wright and the film is fine by itself, but there's so much depth and character development that has to be sacrificed fitting all the books into one film that it doesn't come close. Would love to pick up the colour versions to complement my B&W ones (especially as the new covers look awesome) but the price tag's still a little high when I have the originals. I would get digital versions instead but UK Comixology doesn't have the licensing to sell them. Boooo.

I'm waiting for the set to come out and a sale to appear. I won't mind rereading the comic in four years!

And it sucks the film had to kill Envy's and Kim's character development.

Im at my book store that is holding a 20% off all comics and manga. Comic gaf, what does a comic nub get. Was eying y the last man, swamp thing, transmetropiltan, preacher, or maybe akira

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wolverine will go through time in order to set history right again; outside of spacetime, he meets Angela, who tells him a big threat is coming and to fight it off, she has to rewrite history so three timelines are merged together.

I wonder if this is a way to bring marvelman into the fold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom