• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm thinking of checking out either Wonder Woman (because of mentions in the thread) or Captain Marvel (because the change to Carol Danvers seems interesting and I like the new costume), which of these is the better pick? I have pop-culture osmosis levels of knowledge about Wonder Woman but know nothing at all really about Captain Marvel, old or new.

I'd recommend Wonder Woman to the general reader. Interesting take on the character with entertaining art. Captain Marvel is much more straightforward comic book style stuff. Enjoyable if you like Carol, but not memorable.

Acid08

Banned
Invincible #102 struck me the wrong way, it read like the final issue of a Bendis event where it's the "change in continuity" issue without proper build-up. I somewhat appreciate the suddenness of the shift, but it still felt awkward.
I agree that it felt rushed but it was my favorite issue in a while.

ElNarez

Banned
I'll be curious to see what Trinity War does considering it's not it's own book and takes place in JL/JLoA/JL Dark and looks like a punchy book.

Also, Wonder Woman is definitely worth picking up.

It'll sell, I mean, DC still can put some top 10 books out, but outside of Batman and Justice league, their line is somewhat fucked. And Superman Unchained will move copies too. But Johns and Lee are the only two people in DC's upper management who have any idea how to make books that people will want to pay money for. (which is why I think they're safe when Purgemageddon 2013 comes to town) Everyone else is fair game for unemployment, starting with Didio.

kswiston

This is pretty nuts.

Also, I think Marvel Now proves that ditching the continuity of your entire line is completely unnecessary to spur interest. DC could have just relaunched everything to #1 with the same continuity, not pissed off long term fans of various non A-listers, and gotten a comparable sales boost.

I thought the scuttlebutt was that Didio had been pushed out by Lee, Harras, and Johns, and that those three were effectively running the creative side while Dan handled the day-to-day duties?

frye

I thought the scuttlebutt was that Didio had been pushed out by Lee, Harras, and Johns, and that those three were effectively running the creative side while Dan handled the day-to-day duties?

Everyone blames those dudes but really the problems at DC have been there since before they became prominent.

ElNarez

Banned

It's not just a creative problem. Editorial is fucked, but marketing is doing fuck-all to make things any better, and the trade department is a joke. Things are pretty toxic all around.

The only thing DC has been doing somewhat well is the digital stuff, so I say whoever's responsible for that should actually run the entire shindig.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the TNMT and Star Wars/Avatar free issues. My shop had so many Iron Man Extremis HCs so I picked up it for 50% off.

The Cyborg 009 prelude issue was great. Love the paper they used and Marcus To was a great choice. Definitely picking up the hardcover this summer.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I missed the initial talk about those X-Men previews. Why does Jubilee have a kid? When did that happen? Is she still a vampire or did they just get rid of that?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not just a creative problem. Editorial is fucked, but marketing is doing fuck-all to make things any better, and the trade department is a joke. Things are pretty toxic all around.

The only thing DC has been doing somewhat well is the digital stuff, so I say whoever's responsible for that should actually run the entire shindig.

Damn straight, their digital is probably the only thing that isn't fucked up.

Just out of curiosity, are the Fantastic Four or Superior Spider-Man Age of Ultron books necessary reading to continue the story in each series?

Acid08

Banned
Read a couple Marvel issues from this week.

Superior 9:

Great issue, paved really well. Stegman so much better than everyone at drawing Spidey. I hope he comes back.

Indestructible Hulk 7:

It was okay. I find the SBH thing to be stupid.

Wool

I should have asked for recommendations from you all before I went to the store today to get the free comics. There were way more than I thought there'd be. I grabbed Superman, TMNT, Walking Dead, and a couple random ones I have never heard of.

Is the free Walking Dead supposed to be just a standalone story, or is it part of the larger series?

AEREC

Just out of curiosity, are the Fantastic Four or Superior Spider-Man Age of Ultron books necessary reading to continue the story in each series?

Definitely not for F4...was a waste of 4 bucks and the next issue basically ignored it. Art was shit too.

Wool

I don't care about it too much, I just wish they left Hellblazer alone. It seems like Vertigo is coming to a close overall. Such a shame.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
DC announces: New Crisis! The outcome of this event will shake the DC universe down to it's very core! Wonder Woman's origin gets rewritten AGAIN. Donna Troy is back again again, Batman's timeline has been condensed to 3 months!

donna has to get wiped from existense the following issue of her return. dc is really good at keeping the tradition of dropping steamers on her

hamchan

The Marvel Unlimited app got a bit better because now the comics actually take up the whole vertical space instead of having that horrible title bar. Hooray!

ReiGun

So, after reading Adventures of Superman, I want Parker and Samnee to be doing Action.

Would Comics-GAF consider New 52 a failure for DC?

It was a short term success at doing what it was supposed to: getting new readers into the books. However, DC's incompetence fucked it in the long term.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was a short term success at doing what it was supposed to: getting new readers into the books. However, DC's incompetence fucked it in the long term.

Yup, also why is Lobdell writing like 4 books? He needs to be writing fewer books not more.

blackflag

How do you guys and gals find new comics? I don't really read marvel or dc anymore but I read Saga, Thief of Thieves, American Vampire, TWD, Chew, etc. I feel like I'm probably missing a lot of great stuff because I don't see it talked about much. I don't actually know anyone else that reads comics either.

Owzers

How do you guys and gals find new comics? I don't really read marvel or dc anymore but I read Saga, Thief of Thieves, American Vampire, TWD, Chew, etc. I feel like I'm probably missing a lot of great stuff because I don't see it talked about much. I don't actually know anyone else that reads comics either.
Ign weekly reviews, this thread should be good, and you can always follow the creators you do like and check out their other work. Check out hawkeye from marvel and batman by Snyder for dc.

Acid08

Banned
This thread usually. People in here do talk about a lot of noteworthy stuff.

Or you can just browse a site like Comiclist that aggregates all the releases for a week and just browse through different publishers.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Apparently Miguel is going to go all Terminator on this shit (according to Slott). Take that as you will.

terminator? so hes gonna be searching for peter parker and kill all the peter parkers listed in new york? or hes been sent back in time to protect the real peter parker from the horrible future that he faces(not that he would know about that), or has he come back to save mary jane?

Acid08

Banned
terminator? so hes gonna be searching for peter parker and kill all the peter parkers listed in new york? or hes been sent back in time to protect the real peter parker from the horrible future that he faces(not that he would know about that), or has he come back to save mary jane?
Could be a combination of those or none of those. We're going to have to wait and see. Stoked for that though. What issue is his first appearance? 17?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Dunno, Slott compared the arc to Terminator. That's all we know. Could be he's here to set it all right.

blackflag

Ign weekly reviews, this thread should be good, and you can always follow the creators you do like and check out their other work. Check out hawkeye from marvel and batman by Snyder for dc.

Thanks, yeah those are the only 2 I read from the big 2 right now. I was gonna give The Movement #1 a read though.

blackflag

This thread usually. People in here do talk about a lot of noteworthy stuff.

Or you can just browse a site like Comiclist that aggregates all the releases for a week and just browse through different publishers.

Cool ill keep a closer eye on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom