• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Invincible 111
This series needs to pick up the pace already but
damnit Robot. Really hope the baby's OK

Not so sure I understand that criticism. If we were talking about Kirkman's All Out War in Walking Dead I could understand pacing issues, but we have had batshit crazy things happen since issue #100 in Invincible (and earlier.)

I think we saw Eve fall flat on her stomach intentionally. She's
Going to be saved but she'll miscarry and Mark will brutalize Rex.

Legacy is terrific, and All-New X-Men is still fun for me, I'd buy up the rest of what they're offering there from that one

Surprising there's no Wolverine and the X-Men included.

I don 't think it's too surprising, Wolverine and the X-Men has only ever marginally been a "Now" title. Between the crossovers and the storylines that started way back in Regenesis it doesn't really seem to fit a sale pushing accessibility. I'd argue that's the hardest X-book to jump into right now by a lot (though I haven't read Amazing yet).

Firestorm is pretty much the star of Future's End right now.

I've never been a huge Firestorm fan but what is happening in Future's End is very interesting;
Especially the part where the one guy is keeping the other guy hostage inside the Matrix. The idea of that being possible is pretty messed up.

I might give New Warriors a read, has it been consistently good lately?

It's been kinda slow, but it's a new team book so they gotta bring everyone together.

The dialogue has been great though. If you read Yost's run on Scarlet Spider, you'll know what to expect. It's genuinely funny and the characters are really entertaining.

tim1138

I'm bored as hell at work today, and lord knows this will backfire into another bashing conversation, but who are you guys and gals top five active artists right now?

In no particular order I'd go with Chris Burnham, Nick Pitarra, Frank Quitely, Andrea Sorrentino, and Frazier Irving.

Boogiepop

Thanks for the replies! I tend to amazon was just wondering if there were any other options :)

Having only started on the IDW TMNT ongoing earlier this year I'm almost caught up to the current issue *excites*, it's such a great run. Haven't read any of the Turtles Micro-series so might pick up the trades of those?!
All the additional trades (both sets of Micro Series and the Secret History of the Foot) are totally worth reading and are actually important to the story. It's pretty much the other half of the TMNT run, so definitely recommend grabbing them.
I usually say "I really enjoy/love your work on ____________". Not much more to say other than that before you ask for their signature/sketch/picture/whathaveyou.

-

Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick

14249247974_a2a9f600ce_o.jpg

Collecting issues #1-5 of Sex Criminals, One Weird Trick is a very fun read. I had only picked up the first issue and decided I could trade wait because Image is quick and dirty like that. And man, this is good stuff. As I finish one chapter, it keeps pulling me back in for more. While I was reading it, I prompted my significant other to give this a shot. She asked what it's about and I tell her it's about a girl who stops time...by having an orgasm. There was this awkward silence between us because she didn't know how to react. I continued to read and she continued to pretend she wasn't interested. But I know damn well she's going to read it when I'm not around. And you should too. :]

Of course, I can't post many images from the book because most panels are NSFW. So here's what I can show you.

14249573415_56661054ca_o.jpg
14249247744_c9a1e99639_o.jpg

Oh, and there's this scene where Suzie, protagonist of the series, flashes back to her high school days where another girl teaches her everything she knows about sex. Well, mostly sex positions. But she scribbles them on the bathroom walls to give a visual to Suzie. It looks like Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky list out a number of positions that didn't make it during that scene...

14249247814_2e6cb91153_o.jpg

I can only imagine what the illustrations would look like. XD
Funny thing about Sex Criminals: I actually borrow it from a friend who's picking it up as it comes out, so I went in with no idea what it was. I actually made it like 3/4s of the way through the first issue thinking the freezing was figurative and it was a "here's my life experience" type comic like Fun Home or something.

I'm bored as hell at work today, and lord knows this will backfire into another bashing conversation, but who are you guys and gals top five active artists right now?

In no particular order I'd go with Chris Burnham, Nick Pitarra, Frank Quitely, Andrea Sorrentino, and Frazier Irving.

Kev Walker
Jamie McKelvie
Jerome Opena
Chris Samnee
Phil Noto

Amanda Conner
J.H. Williams III
David Aja
Mike Allred
And probably Sara Pichelli

I don't have any hopes for the Earth 2 weekly. The announced art team is already the fill ins and finishers for books like Worlds Finest and Red Hood......

DUDE! They can't even get consistent art teams on:
Superman/Batman
Action Comics
Justice League
Justice League of America

And that's just out of stuff I've read. It's truly disgraceful.

The ones I've been enjoying lately are;

Superman/Wonder Woman - Tony Daniel
Action Comics - Aaron Kuder
Green Arrow - Andrea Sorrentino
Red Lanterns - Alessandro Vitti
New Guardians - Didgenes Neves

DUDE! They can't even get consistent art teams on:
Superman/Batman
Action Comics
Justice League
Justice League of America

And that's just out of stuff I've read. It's truly disgraceful.

What? All of those books have been gorgeous.

What? All of those books have been gorgeous.

Truly a cornucopia of comic art, indeed.

Sure, JL had Mahnke and Reis, both are great, but maybe settle on one per issue? Because you're adults running a grown up media company?

And I love this, Batman/Superman was so fucked up, this is how the credits read on Comixology:

Art by
Karl Kerschl
Daniel Sampere

Pencils
Tom Derenick

Inks
Vicente Cifuentes

I mean, come on. This is babytown frolics. These are actually good fun stories that deserve to be presented in a professional manner.

It's clear that DC's "house style" is result of a complete inability to schedule artists properly.

Batman/Superman is kind of a bad example to try and use when you consider that its been single artists on almost all of its books. Its essentially been either Jae Lee or Brett Booth. I think the annual had two artists but it was for halves of the book and then I think issue #10 had two artists.

It's been a consistently gorgeous book (imo obviously).

Also, including the inker? Lol? Might as well throw the colorist in there too. Every book has three artists! ;D

Batman/Superman is kind of a bad example to try and use when you consider that its been single artists on almost all of its books. Its essentially been either Jae Lee or Brett Booth. I think the annual had two artists but it was for halves of the book and then I think issue #10 had two artists.

Also, including the inker? Lol? Might as well throw the colorist in there too. Every book has three artists! ;D

That's three art teams for 20 pages, dude! Why are you trying to spin this? It's terrible practice.

Because I judge the quality of the end product, not how it got there, and I happened to enjoy that particular issue.

So did I, as I said, it's great story, and it deserves a consistent artistic voice. I mean, whatever, if you're cool with marginalizing the importance of style in comic book art, go nuts I guess.

tim1138

Why wouldn't you include the colorist? They deserve way more props than they get. Jordie Bellaire and Nathan Fairbairn are bona fide comics superstars.

I'm bored as hell at work today, and lord knows this will backfire into another bashing conversation, but who are you guys and gals top five active artists right now?.

Francesco Francavilla (Afterlife w/ Archie - Black Beetle)
Sean Murphy (The Wake, Etc)
Greg Capullo (Batman)
Patrick Gleason (Batman & Robin)
Matteo Scalera & Dean White (Black Science) I'm not sure off the top of my head who's the painter and who's the pencil/inker.

Fuck it ...
Francis Manapul (Detective Comics) Haven't seen much of his art, I really like what I have seen.
lol

Why wouldn't you include the colorist? They deserve way more props than they get. Jordie Bellaire and Nathan Fairbairn are bona fide comics superstars.

Oh I agree. I was pointing out that he added the inker when he was remarking on the pencilers.

My boy Andrew Wheeler dropping some knowledge

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-new-52-47-cancelation/

One of the best voices in comics

I like how at the end of the article he is like, "Oh, by the way, Marvel cancels books at around the same rate."

1. Greg Capullo
2. Andrea Sorrentino
3. Ryan Stegman
4. Ivan Reis
5. Jason Fabok

I like so much more, kinda hard picking just 5. I think Chris Samnee is the perfect artist to blend dark and gritty into a bright and colorful world. If that makes sense.

I like how at the end of the article he is like, "Oh, by the way, Marvel cancels books at around the same rate."

That is not the point he's making. Most of the Marvel books ended organically, or were relaunched. There were no "We want to buy the Teen Titans" shenanigans of plots that were never meant to be followed up on.

I really appreciate what a good job Marvel is doing right now of shepherding their characters between books as their own titles get canceled. I really have no interest in reading New Warriors right now, but it's oddly comforting to know that Kaine is still hanging out over there, kicking ass and taking names, and I can check in and see what he's up to whenever I want.

My favorite pencillers would be:

Daniel Acuña
Alex Milne
Chris Samnee
Esad Ribic
Jerome Opeña

Colorists I love are:

Lee Loughridge
Daniel Acuña
Laura Allred
Dean White
Jordie Bellaire

Cheska

Dang, top 5 for active artists is hard.

Fiona Staples
Terry Moore
Mike Allred
Sean G Murphy
Roc Upchurch

Gahh there are so many more to list!!!

need advice ComicGAF!!!

I just read GL Secret Origin as my introduction into the Green Lantern world! I loved it but i wonder where do i go from here? I was going to read the Sinestro Corps War next but is that in the direct continuity? Or should i read Rebirth FIRST before that? I kinda heard he is brought "back" in rebirth so are those events before the Sinestro Corps War or after or something else entirely?

*confused*

Dang, top 5 for active artists is hard.

Gahh there are so many more to list!!!

This is so true. I just love loving almost all of the books that I get. They almost all, universally, have something that appeals to me that it is hard to nail down a definitive list.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Are we considering Quitely inactive because he's stuck on a Millar book?

Not so sure I understand that criticism. If we were talking about Kirkman's All Out War in Walking Dead I could understand pacing issues, but we have had batshit crazy things happen since issue #100 in Invincible (and earlier.)

I think we saw Eve fall flat on her stomach intentionally. She's
Going to be saved but she'll miscarry and Mark will brutalize Rex.

Yeah Invincible has a crap load of momentum right now. Kirkman don't give a damn.
Eve fell on her stomach AND had to use her powers (which supposedly drain her baby's lifeforce or something)? That baby is dead (bar some magic baby reconstruction crap). Mark has a whole army of Virtrumites so I'm sure if they just plugged their ears so Rex couldn't hurt them with the screeching then they'd wreck his shit. We also got Amanda's son to worry about.
Man, Kirkman planted so many plot seeds I have no idea where this story could go.

arkon

need advice ComicGAF!!!

I just read GL Secret Origin as my introduction into the Green Lantern world! I loved it but i wonder where do i go from here? I was going to read the Sinestro Corps War next but is that in the direct continuity? Or should i read Rebirth FIRST before that? I kinda heard he is brought "back" in rebirth so are those events before the Sinestro Corps War or after or something else entirely?

*confused*

Rebirth first. Here's a reading order I found with a quick google: http://www.martinralya.com/comics/g...and-all-concurrent-lantern-tpbs/#readingorder

The only difference for my read through is I didn't read the Ion trades on that list at number 9 and 11. So you can skip those.

edit: I also didn't read that DC Universe trade. My read through was pretty much in trade publishing order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom