• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Anyone reading Royals? The art has been pretty crappy but Al Ewing has turned in a pretty good story so far. The last issue all about Maximus was great.

error4041

Anyone reading Royals? The art has been pretty crappy but Al Ewing has turned in a pretty good story so far. The last issue all about Maximus was great.
Royals is pretty great, art is pretty bad at times but it's still fun to read.

I think Maximus and Black Bolt are in the running for having the Shittiest Parents ever.

Sandfox

I really liked this week's X-Men Blue. Bunn has a really good feel for this team and I really like their status quo because it actually feels like the X-Men.
I did not see the New Marauders coming and the implications are pretty nuts.

Jean Grey is on point. The writing and art for this book are both really good. I really like the direction Hopeless is taking Jean's character and I feel it complements what Bunn is doing well. I recommend it to Hope fans. I loved
the joke where Jean and Hope said that they don't see the resemblance between the two of them.

Kuder's art in this week's Guardians is really strong and I like where the plot is going.

Gintamen

No matter how good the story is, the art is so bad that I won't touch that series anymore.

Detective Comics

Really good issue, especially good after feeling like this book had been going downhill.

Deathstroke

Priest really should have been writing this entire cross-over. This issue feels like 90% of this entire cross-over. Though this also feels more like a Deathstroke issue than an issue of the cross-over...if that makes sense.

Injustice 2

This book stays amazing. GIVE TOM TAYLOR THE JUSTICE LEAGUE AND DITCH THE HITCH!

Excited for more Sabrina.
Is the Riverdale show or comic good?

The show's been great. I've only read #0 of the comic before falling behind but it was pretty good. The showrunner writes Afterlife With Archie and the Riverdale comic so I'd be surprised if it's bad. I'll probably pick up the trade.

Man this book Wed Craig is teasing looks crazy. He's writing, Toby Cypress on art
tumblr_oqf6oqMzRb1rd2eyko1_1280.jpg

Liked that it quoted Colin's work.

Probably making a thread.

Edit: On Snotgirl:
snotgirl is coming back on july 5! tell your confused friends. we're also changing to a bimonthly (every other month) schedule✌️

Love it when Ellis calls comic creators his children.

Did anyone read the Frankenstein Rotworld tie-ins? Were they any good? I dropped off after Lemire left the book, since I was unfamiliar with Kindt at the time. Not sure how his DC run fared.

All this non-stop complaining about Marvel and the "let me tell you what the REAL problem is" takes are so old at this point. Even if there's a real problem, people need to say what they have to say and then move on with their lives, instead of going on and on and on about it without end. It's just exhausting to not be able to go more than a couple days without stepping in that snark and negativity again. It's just an all-around shitty way to conduct yourself. "The guy who is always complaining" is a bad look, and there are a lot of those people.

What's Mignola's Baltimore about? Is it connected at all to the Hellboy universe?

(Also, are the HCs regular sized or oversized?)

Edit: Ooh. My library has them. Will try out the first two volumes.

ElNarez

Banned
Infamous Iron Man is the only Marvel comic I bought and quite frankly it's probably the only Marvel comic that is worth reading because holy shit it is going Places.

What's Mignola's Baltimore about? Is it connected at all to the Hellboy universe?

(Also, are the HCs regular sized or oversized?)

Edit: Ooh. My library has them. Will try out the first two volumes.

Gotta boost out but quickly, no its not set in HB's world. It carves out it's own fiction spinning out from WW1 when the death and carnage of the war revives and returns vampires to the world and they ravage Europe. The HCs are the same size as DC's HCs and not full size OHCs like Marvel. I really like the series as it's own contained thing. It has a slightly dif feel to the other Mig books with Golden scripting but it builds into a really cool epic after starting out quite small with individual arcs that have a vague link, kinda like Hellboy.

ElNarez

Banned
today's Kamandi Challenge has Marcelo Maiolo doing colors over Ivan Reis pencils, so it's drop dead gorgeous, but the words are by Bill Willingham so they read like dogshit. It's okay. It's fine.

This is a really great write up of Marvel's current state

Remember how good the promotion for Ms Marvel was when it was about to launch?

All this non-stop complaining about Marvel and the "let me tell you what the REAL problem is" takes are so old at this point. Even if there's a real problem, people need to say what they have to say and then move on with their lives, instead of going on and on and on about it without end. It's just exhausting to not be able to go more than a couple days without stepping in that snark and negativity again. It's just an all-around shitty way to conduct yourself. "The guy who is always complaining" is a bad look, and there are a lot of those people.
God forbid people post criticism of business practices. Here's the crazy thing, you don't have to read it! What a world we live in.

tkscz

I watched a video recently on reasons why Marvel is failing and I will link it once I find it, but the guy brought up a lot of good reasons as to why Marvel is doing "badly" regardless of being number 1 in money made and amount of comics sold over the past few months. It's biggest problem was amount of books out and the price of those books. Marvel has too much out right now, and not everyone can afford it. There are like four different Avengers books, three Captain America books, two different X-men books that they are pushing HARD and just a bunch of singular books that not everyone can just go out and buy. He also points out that because they have so many books, so few of them can be advertised. I had no idea America was released in April if not for this thread, and because I was getting into Invincible Ironman, I wasn't even able to check it out (how was it by the way? I'm not hearing good things about it). Marvel needs to slow down, focus on the characters that you have by giving them there own books and keeping it simple. And stop with all the event books and number 1s.

Detective Comics

Really good issue, especially good after feeling like this book had been going downhill.

Deathstroke

Priest really should have been writing this entire cross-over. This issue feels like 90% of this entire cross-over. Though this also feels more like a Deathstroke issue than an issue of the cross-over...if that makes sense.

Injustice 2

This book stays amazing. GIVE TOM TAYLOR THE JUSTICE LEAGUE AND DITCH THE HITCH!

Glad to hear the cross over picks up on the Deathstroke issue, thought the Titans issue was a bit of a nothing issue and the Teen Titans issue was only a little bit better. Ordered Deathstroke issue in the hope it would keep picking up.

Glad to hear the cross over picks up on the Deathstroke issue, thought the Titans issue was a bit of a nothing issue and the Teen Titans issue was only a little bit better. Ordered Deathstroke issue in the hope it would keep picking up.

It was really weird reading it because it comes off more as a Deathstroke issue because of its storytelling style and the stuff it goes back to, but if you compared this to the previous two issues it was like those were just catch up and this issue is the actual start of the story.

I have no idea how the next issue is concluding it but I'm sad it's in Teen Titans and not written by Priest. (as far as I know)

It was really weird reading it because it comes off more as a Deathstroke issue because of its storytelling style and the stuff it goes back to, but if you compared this to the previous two issues it was like those were just catch up and this issue is the actual start of the story.

I have no idea how the next issue is concluding it but I'm sad it's in Teen Titans and not written by Priest. (as far as I know)

Looking at it, the last part is a Teens Titan special issue, but looks like its being written by Dan Abnett rather than Ben Percy. Which considering the first part where nothing happened was Abnett I'm not sure whether thats a good or a bad thing.

Kurdel

Banned
Infamous Iron Man

Holy shit at the last page revealing
sorceror supreme Tony Stark from the future building a machine to contact Doom in the present.

This book has been really cool since the beginning, can't wait to see where it goes.

Steve Rogers 17

It was pretty good, giving more info about the Secret Empire. The Inhumans treatment vs the Mutants treatment was nice to see explained and contrasted in a single book. Hydra Cap twitter line was pure gold, holy fucking shit.

Just to expand a little on Baltimore - in his post-particularly hands on phase of his career, Mig has taken to plotting out a story, having a peer expand it out into a novel, which they then bring to comics. Mignola is not one to overlook franchise potential lol. With Baltimore, the novel is basing split into Baltimore's origin and initial encounter with the vampires, and later in his life, when he eventually catches up with a specific antagonist that eludes him for a large portion of his life. This *middle area* where he wanders Europe hunting the vampire Haigus is used as the framing device initially for the book, so if you've read the book you have a vague notion of how the story will end. However, they totally cover what happens in the book so the series totally stands alone from the novel in that sense. Also, while the book initially has the format of an arc where Baltimore will arrive somewhere hot on the heels of Haigus and run into a totally different problem that's arose as a result of the vampire scourge, the book actually arrives at the end of the book in volume 4, the chapel of bones. After that it, it goes beyond where the book left off becomes more much tighter and focused on the lore it's slowly built from day one and launches into a pretty cool epic story, very much like after Hellboy visits the Island in his books.

I have saw the comment back in the day when Baltimore launched that there was no real good reason for it to standalone from the Mignolaverse but there's totally inaccurate. One cool thing about the HB books is between the various series (HB, BPRD, Witchfinder and so on) there is a very specific and cool story and mythology built around the vampire, so this book really wouldn't work in line with that, jumping off at a very different point in history and diverging quite significantly as a result. I like the series though, it captures a good amount of what makes the Mignolaverse unique, and is about on par with Witchfinder, Lobster etc if not the level of HB or BPRD, but it's a much shorter easier thing to jump into and experience. The whole thing will only run 8 volumes in the end. Mig and Golden have started the same idea with Joe Golem, and I would not be surprised to see Grim Death arrive as a comic from Mig & Sniegoski.

Gotta boost out but quickly, no its not set in HB's world. It carves out it's own fiction spinning out from WW1 when the death and carnage of the war revives and returns vampires to the world and they ravage Europe. The HCs are the same size as DC's HCs and not full size OHCs like Marvel. I really like the series as it's own contained thing. It has a slightly dif feel to the other Mig books with Golden scripting but it builds into a really cool epic after starting out quite small with individual arcs that have a vague link, kinda like Hellboy.

Just to expand a little on Baltimore - in his post-particularly hands on phase of his career, Mig has taken to plotting out a story, having a peer expand it out into a novel, which they then bring to comics. Mignola is not one to overlook franchise potential lol. With Baltimore, the novel is basing split into Baltimore's origin and initial encounter with the vampires, and later in his life, when he eventually catches up with a specific antagonist that eludes him for a large portion of his life. This *middle area* where he wanders Europe hunting the vampire Haigus is used as the framing device initially for the book, so if you've read the book you have a vague notion of how the story will end. However, they totally cover what happens in the book so the series totally stands alone from the novel in that sense. Also, while the book initially has the format of an arc where Baltimore will arrive somewhere hot on the heels of Haigus and run into a totally different problem that's arose as a result of the vampire scourge, the book actually arrives at the end of the book in volume 4, the chapel of bones. After that it, it goes beyond where the book left off becomes more much tighter and focused on the lore it's slowly built from day one and launches into a pretty cool epic story, very much like after Hellboy visits the Island in his books.

I have saw the comment back in the day when Baltimore launched that there was no real good reason for it to standalone from the Mignolaverse but there's totally inaccurate. One cool thing about the HB books is between the various series (HB, BPRD, Witchfinder and so on) there is a very specific and cool story and mythology built around the vampire, so this book really wouldn't work in line with that, jumping off at a very different point in history and diverging quite significantly as a result. I like the series though, it captures a good amount of what makes the Mignolaverse unique, and is about on par with Witchfinder, Lobster etc if not the level of HB or BPRD, but it's a much shorter easier thing to jump into and experience. The whole thing will only run 8 volumes in the end. Mig and Golden have started the same idea with Joe Golem, and I would not be surprised to see Grim Death arrive as a comic from Mig & Sniegoski.

Awesome, thank you. You've gotten me hyped for this. I should be able to pick up v1 tomorrow.

Only read the first five pages of Deathstroke and it is far better than Abnett and Percy's issues. Priest should have written this whole thing.

Ben Reilly Spidey is so weird. He wasn't acting like an villain off his rocker in The Clone Conspiracy.
Like, the black lady has every reason to off him so I can't root for Ben. Still very interesting where this is all going.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
God forbid people post criticism of business practices. Here's the crazy thing, you don't have to read it! What a world we live in.
Its just getting funny when these two guys of ours who complain all the time are ranting about books they dont read.

Still, I have to agree that it gets super annyoing when you can imagine what people post when you just see their name, but luckily NeoGAF provides solutions to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom