• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that fucking Inhumans promo picture... holy shit

giphy.gif

He was so good in that show

He totally steals it in the end, you could tell the writers went in with the lead funny guy gameplan, but even they gave in the end l, all the payoff centered around him. Good times, definitely one of the better/more novel *superhero* shows I've saw.

Trickster

Anyone that can remember the X-Men Regenesis event? I'm wondering if it's a story that you have to read in a specific linear for it to make sense storywise, or if if it's something like the Heroic Age period after Dark Reign

arkon

So just on the spire, oppose to comparing the spire and six gun because both are awesome, I was kind of wondering what you thought about the end. I just find the whole
plot twist with Sha having started out a man who became a woman, and someone who was so unhappy within themselves that she had to wipe her past away entirely so incredibly powerful. When she says at the end "I think I must have been a very unhappy person back then", it's just hnnnnng.
I'll agree the actual murder mystery part is fairly straight forward but it's really the ideas that Spurrier explores with it, and the way in which he reveals it that's just obliterating. Tapping back into the ideas Spurrier looks at with Six Gun too; the need for closure for things to have meaning, & for that something to mean that it's over but there was good and happiness there no matter how it ended, taps right into how The Spire resolves itself.
In the same breath as Sha reaching that zenith and understanding of her life now compared to the life before and accepting both,there's that implication that she might start the cycle anew.
It's far more bittersweet as that last page of Six Gun but it's that same idea from another angle. The other characters have to face that final curtain too for all their actions and inactions, good and bad, and it's just captivating stuff.

Over the course of writing that, I think I realised for me, Six Gun & The Spire are much more intertwined than I had thought about it so far. It becomes much less of a question of what's better and more that they are parts of a whole, the full notion of what Spurrier thinks about this stuff, but with different lights shone through it and from different sides.

You know I didn't consider it on those terms, but when you put it like that I can see your point. I think that might be why that feeling that you had with Spire maybe didn't land with me but did with Six-Gun.
For me it was like, Oh, Sha used to be a man, Ok, cool. I didn't really think of the implications and just took it at a surface level. Maybe dismissive of me. I think that's maybe why Six-Gun landed it for me. It was more in your face and hard to miss.

I think the other thing is I'm clutching at vague memories of the reading experiences from a year or more ago so things aren't as fresh. Again, should be interesting if I ever get round to a re-read.

Ross61

Definitely looking foward to that Vita Ayala and Claire Roe story in the WW annual. More black women getting work on big-name characters is always a win, and I know both Vita and Claire have been wanting to work on WW for a long time.

You know I didn't consider it on those terms, but when you put it like that I can see your point. I think that might be why that feeling that you had with Spire maybe didn't land with me but did with Six-Gun.
For me it was like, Oh, Sha used to be a man, Ok, cool. I didn't really think of the implications and just took it at a surface level. Maybe dismissive of me. I think that's maybe why Six-Gun landed it for me. It was more in your face and hard to miss.

I think the other thing is I'm clutching at vague memories of the reading experiences from a year or more ago so things aren't as fresh. Again, should be interesting if I ever get round to a re-read.

Not dismissive at all dude, we all take different things from this stuff. Six Gun is a really awesome book though, I love when it gets really meta and
the crowd watching at the end start commenting on the story pacing/delivery
haha. I hope Spurrier and Stokely keep on working together and coming up with crazy worlds.

Sandfox

Anyone that can remember the X-Men Regenesis event? I'm wondering if it's a story that you have to read in a specific linear for it to make sense storywise, or if if it's something like the Heroic Age period after Dark Reign
The latter, though I think there was a one-shot. I can't really remember.

I'm really looking forward to Star Trek The Next Generation: Mirror Broken from the FCBD books. The Mirror Universe is one of my absolute favourite things about Trek and it's the same team as the Doctor Who crossover which was excellent.

There's not really anything else that's grabbing me. I guess I Hate Image Comics should be pretty good as well.

Holy shit! That is AWFUL. Medusa looks absolutely ridiculous, and not just her terrible wig. Her costume looks cheap as fuck(polyester Halloween costume?), makes her look like she has no neck, and what is she doing with her face?

Medusa's costume has gotten enough attention. What the fuck did they do to Crystal? It looks like they got her costume from a thrift store.

Malyse

What the fuck Secret Empire? It's like they wanted to do the Secret Wars thing, but didn't have the balls to make the entire MU tie in to one event. Like, this is a thing that literally everyone on Earth should be having to deal with. I mean, I get why they aren't roping everyone in (because that shit's annoying), but they should be roping everyone in anyway. Or reduce the scale of the event.

This makes little sense to me. This is a basic paradigm shift in the universe and it's not effecting most other books at all.

Dusknoir

Injustice 2 #1 is really good. It would be cool if Tom Taylor just took over the Harley Quin book. He easily reads her the best.
Who is Lucy? The person Harley is concerned for.

So I gave the Prey demo a shot. Seemed like a pretty interesting premise, but it's one of those FPS games where the controls feel a little too floaty. That kind of turned me off.

CazTGG

What the fuck Secret Empire? It's like they wanted to do the Secret Wars thing, but didn't have the balls to make the entire MU tie in to one event. Like, this is a thing that literally everyone on Earth should be having to deal with. I mean, I get why they aren't roping everyone in (because that shit's annoying), but they should be roping everyone in anyway. Or reduce the scale of the event.

This makes little sense to me. This is a basic paradigm shift in the universe and it's not effecting most other books at all.

I can think of one hero who'd like to punch him some Nazis:

I will never tire of reminding people about this.

Sandfox

There were complaints about the number of tie-ins CW2 had so there are less this time around. All of the heroes are basically appearing in some book though.

Okay fine

RIP Inhumans mini-series. Marvel please drop Scott Buck.

DROP HIM
Let's be honest. The Inhumans are kinda a poor mans xmen anyway.

The only cool one is Maximus.
They were only a poor man's X-Men after the Terrigen cloud. Before that they were completely their own thing.

Vibranium

Banned
Good thing I don't care about the Inhumans outside of Lockjaw!

Haven't been purchasing many comics lately, I'm reading my Image stuff. East of West is sooo good, Darksiders can't come close to this.

So I gave the Prey demo a shot. Seemed like a pretty interesting premise, but it's one of those FPS games where the controls feel a little too floaty. That kind of turned me off.

Was that on the Ps4 or xbox? The Ps4 demo has input lag problems they've addressed for release date. The xbox demo didn't have that problem so if it's that version...damn haha. Got my copy through today but finishing up Dishonored 2 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom