• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that on the Ps4 or xbox? The Ps4 demo has input lag problems they've addressed for release date. The xbox demo didn't have that problem so if it's that version...damn haha. Got my copy through today but finishing up Dishonored 2 first.

It was the PS4 demo I tried. Even if they fix the responsiveness, I still don't know if I'm in at $60 based on what I played.

So just on the spire, oppose to comparing the spire and six gun because both are awesome, I was kind of wondering what you thought about the end. I just find the whole
plot twist with Sha having started out a man who became a woman, and someone who was so unhappy within themselves that she had to wipe her past away entirely so incredibly powerful. When she says at the end "I think I must have been a very unhappy person back then", it's just hnnnnng.
I'll agree the actual murder mystery part is fairly straight forward but it's really the ideas that Spurrier explores with it, and the way in which he reveals it that's just obliterating. Tapping back into the ideas Spurrier looks at with Six Gun too; the need for closure for things to have meaning, & for that something to mean that it's over but there was good and happiness there no matter how it ended, taps right into how The Spire resolves itself.
In the same breath as Sha reaching that zenith and understanding of her life now compared to the life before and accepting both,there's that implication that she might start the cycle anew.
It's far more bittersweet as that last page of Six Gun but it's that same idea from another angle. The other characters have to face that final curtain too for all their actions and inactions, good and bad, and it's just captivating stuff.

Over the course of writing that, I think I realised for me, Six Gun & The Spire are much more intertwined than I had thought about it so far. It becomes much less of a question of what's better and more that they are parts of a whole, the full notion of what Spurrier thinks about this stuff, but with different lights shone through it and from different sides.

Meant to reply earlier but this is a really good post and kind of summarizes my feelings too. The twists and revelations at the end of The Spire were pretty amazing and I love how it was all handled. Love Six Gun Gorilla too of course-- Spurrier's a super fun writer!

How was Weavers to anyone who read? Interested in trying it out. I didn't finish Cry Havoc either, how did that turn out?

I honestly loved the first trade, but it is super Hickman-y, and doesn't really let up, it's pretty consistent. Was a big fan of his older stuff and it felt like a call back in some ways, so it pushed my buttons, but I can see it not being for everyone. I mean, you're half way through now, may as well finish up and see if it comes together for you. I think it actually gets a little less straight forward in issue 3 and 4, I felt like I had to go back over the diary entries a few times as I got to certain plot points and cross reference for it all to come together, but that was probably part of the fun on my end.

As a huge Hickman fan and someone with a big interest in economics, BMM was basically written with me in mind. Love it

Batwoman #2
This is pretty okay. Like, I'm largely not interested in discount Madripoor, and "Knife" is lame as fuck. Both in codename, and character. I'll give it one more issue to stick the landing. Rebirth was so good, but these last two have been whatever.

Detective Comics #955
I genuinely cannot describe how I feel. This issue was too fucking good. Fuck Ulysses, fuck the League of Shadows, and fuck Shiva.

"NOT ALONE"

Batman #21 a.k.a. The Button Part One
Holy shit this was great. Like, legit great, and after reading some Omega Man, well, damn does King love his 9-panel layouts. Fantastic, honestly. A lot of stuff to unpack here, but it's not worth it given I'm still two parts behind.

The Flash #21 a.k.a. The Button Part Two
Dope as fuuuuuck. Really great issue, but here's what I got:
both the JSA and Legion of Superheroes have been referenced, with the first issue saying the Legion would be destroyed and this one saying that the JSA needs to be found again. Lightning seems to be an extremely important component to this whole thing. I'm also curious as to the different Speed Force reactions, and how the JL vault can have artifacts coexisting alongside other ones right now.
Of course I'm still an issue behind, so these aren't worth asking yet.

Aizo

Banned
If I want to read just one X-Men series right now to follow each issue and know what's going good on in the X-Men universe, what's my best bet? Will one series consistently be enough?
As a huge Hickman fan and someone with a big interest in economics, BMM was basically written with me in mind. Love it
I enjoyed taking pictures of the symbols and taking notes to better understand what was going on. Sadly, I think I need a refresh before reading the new arc. One of my favorite ongoing series for sure. Bless Hickman.

Sandfox

If I want to read just one X-Men series right now to follow each issue and know what's going good on in the X-Men universe, what's my best bet? Will one series consistently be enough?

I enjoyed taking pictures of the symbols and taking notes to better understand what was going on. Sadly, I think I need a refresh before reading the new arc. One of my favorite ongoing series for sure. Bless Hickman.
X-Men Blue is the better book, but Gold will probably be dealing with more of X-universe stuff. I would go with Blue.

Sandfox

Hopeless' Jean Grey actually reads like a young woman and that's a nice change. The artist did a good job as well with some really cool panels in and out of action. I'll be continuing with this book.

skybald

Flintstones #3
This was the first premise in the book that didn't really grab me. I still like it overall and it was still fun. But damn at the vet depression stuff.

I purchased the first volume of Storm's solo series ages ago, but only got to buying the second volume recently.

Still haven't finished it, but I really enjoyed issues 6-8. What does it mean by her activating the 'unstable molecules' in her clothes though? If it means what I think it means then no idea she was that powerful omg.

Justice League of America #5
This would have been a much better issue if it weren't for MacDonald's art. That's pretty much all I'm gonna say.

Ms. Marvel #17
Anti-climactic ending, but I think it's safe to say that this thread is going to come back around. And this Zoe plotline is pretty emotional all around. Damn Ms. Marvel, you righteous.

U.S.Avengers #5
Cap is a fucking racist.

Oh and the rest is good, too.

But goddamn.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #16
This was pretty good. Fucking brutal though. My only real question is about the Wheel.
Steve said "The Shield, The Spear, The Leviathan". Is the Spear supposed to be Hydra? I don't recall any others besides Hydra, Leviathan, and SHIELD. Also interesting that Steve was in the Pacific Theatre of WW2. Was he originally in the comics? Or was it strictly Europe?

Secret Empire #0
Okay A)
did they mean to spell Michigan? And B) is Tony's AI in a version of his old armor?
Also I guess my question about the Wheel has been answered, but
what is the Spear that they're referring to? Also, what the fuck are the mechanics of that magic pool? So it's supposed to protect you from a Cosmic Cube's memory alterations...by implanting different memories...of the future?
Am I just dumb? I can't be the only one who didn't get that. Otherwise it was a pretty good issue.

Ross61

Justice League of America #5
This would have been a much better issue if it weren't for MacDonald's art. That's pretty much all I'm gonna say.

Ms. Marvel #17
Anti-climactic ending, but I think it's safe to say that this thread is going to come back around. And this Zoe plotline is pretty emotional all around. Damn Ms. Marvel, you righteous.

U.S.Avengers #5
Cap is a fucking racist.

Oh and the rest is good, too.

But goddamn.

This was pretty good. Fucking brutal though. My only real question is about the Wheel.
Steve said "The Shield, The Spear, The Leviathan". Is the Spear supposed to be Hydra? I don't recall any others besides Hydra, Leviathan, and SHIELD. Also interesting that Steve was in the Pacific Theatre of WW2. Was he originally in the comics? Or was it strictly Europe?

Secret Empire #0
Okay A)
did they mean to spell Michigan? And B) is Tony's AI in a version of his old armor?
what is the Spear that they're referring to? Also, what the fuck are the mechanics of that magic pool? So it's supposed to protect you from a Cosmic Cube's memory alterations...by implanting different memories...of the future?
Am I just dumb? I can't be the only one who didn't get that. Otherwise it was a pretty good issue.
Not a fan of MacDonald? :(

X-Men Blue. Gold is probably the "universe hook" book, but Blue is better.

My comic shit for the week.

Secret Empire #1: This was fine. #0 was a cluster, but the basic story here is decent. Fairly easy telegraph where this is going. Problem? It hits far too close to home in the current climate. Same issue I have with Sam Wilson's Cap book. Image #1, Image #2, Image #3

I really like the Champions team shown in this book: Miles, Hulk, Wasp, Ironheart, Viv, and Falcon. With Ms. Marvel, it'd be great. I wish Marvel could get someone great on Champions.

Spider-Man #16: Miles is much cooler when he's on his cold and calculating shit. Image #1, Image #2

Jean Grey #1: I dislike the lionization of post-death Jean Grey as the greatest X-Man ever. So a book with Jean as kind of a screw-up works wonders for me. Image #1, Image #2

Guardians of the Galaxy #1: If you had a problem with Bendis' run, I don't see how this is better. More fun, but much closer to the movies. Image #1, Image #2

Superman #22: I'm not a huge fan of the current status quo, but Lois without Clark and Jon is still a badass. Lois vs. the world is magical. Image #1, Image #2

Green Lanterns #22: I love Simon and Jessica, but they've been of on their own. This issue pulls them back into the Corps. I wouldn't say much happens, but it eludes to an arc I think I'll enjoy a great deal. Image #1, Image #2

Nightwing #22: You can't break Dick Grayson! He's so good, he'll fix you first. Also Dick+Damian is the best team forever. Image #1, Image #2

Secret Empire #0
Okay A)

The Spear refers to the Brotherhood of the Spear. In Hickman's SHIELD origin, there was the Brotherhood of the Shield, which became SHIELD, and the Brotherhood of the Spear, which was corrupted and sort of became The Hand and Hydra. It's reference to original Hydra, which is more of an Old Gods worshipping cult, not Nazis.

Ross61

Not particularly. Maybe in a messier, more visceral book (like Andrade), but not here. I didn't like the way those characters looked at all. It was like going from Seijic to Fowler on Rat Queens.
Aww damn, I liked the way Orlando's writing went with MacDonald's art.

Ross61

Royals #2
SO MANY QUESTIONS AND THE HYPEST SHIT. BLESS YOU EWING YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD.

And I thought it was ugly as sin. Different strokes.
Alright that's too far
NewJackCity12.jpg

I'll be interested to see if things change on a re-read. Maybe there's an element of rose-tinted specs with Six-Gun too.

I recently re-read it and still though it was fantastic.

Oh, shit. The Spire is Spurrier? :( Now my interest in it is dampened. The only book by him that I've read was Cry Havoc. That was probably the worst thing I read last year.

Ouch! I will say that this is not one of my most favorite Spurrier books, but I still enjoyed it and thinks it's worth checking out. It's the art that's on the crap side, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to Star Trek The Next Generation: Mirror Broken from the FCBD books. The Mirror Universe is one of my absolute favourite things about Trek and it's the same team as the Doctor Who crossover which was excellent.

There's not really anything else that's grabbing me. I guess I Hate Image Comics should be pretty good as well.

Thanks for mentioning these! I'll look out for them on Saturday.

I didn't finish Cry Havoc either, how did that turn out?

Do you want to be spoiled or are you asking whether it was good? I thought it was good. Some elements stronger than others. Loved the ending.

My Paper Girls shirts came in! I'll probably post a picture because it is the best and I enjoy bragging. I got two and one fits like a dream. The other less so. Gonna look into getting a different size.

The Spear refers to the Brotherhood of the Spear. In Hickman's SHIELD origin, there was the Brotherhood of the Shield, which became SHIELD, and the Brotherhood of the Spear, which was corrupted and sort of became The Hand and Hydra. It's reference to original Hydra, which is more of an Old Gods worshipping cult, not Nazis.
Yeah I recall the Hand connection and the thing with the Old Gods. I was just mainly trying to figure out where the Spear part was coming from. I guess I should really read Hickman's SHIELD, but knowing that the final issue won't be released is really kind of dampening my motivation. I really don't want to read a straight up incomplete series, and the only reason I know anything about Hickman's SHIELD stuff is from Secret Warriors.

error4041

Best thing I've read this week was in Jessica Jones where two guys are high and are discussing how the spider-people are a bigger threat than mutants.

How was Weavers to anyone who read? Interested in trying it out. I didn't finish Cry Havoc either, how did that turn out?

Yea, I've been keeping my eyes on these, I think the Weavers trade is June, def going to jump on that! Cry Havok, folks seem a little more mixed? Plus, I remember a lot of talk when it finished up about if and maybe about a volume 2, sounds really vague. I'd like to check it out though.

Yea, I actually thought it was funny Launchpad said he couldn't imagine keeping up monthly. When I was reading, the book is such a meaty engaging read, I kind of thought to myself "This is maybe one of the only books I think might keep me satisfied monthly". I totally get the converse to that though, book being quite dense and ofuscating on purpose, I'd probably feel compelled to reread from issue 1 every time haha. Great book though.
My Paper Girls shirts came in! I'll probably post a picture because it is the best and I enjoy bragging. I got two and one fits like a dream. The other less so. Gonna look into getting a different size.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be, and all that's coming to mind is an actual Apple t-shirt haha

Gonna post my collection since it's been awhile. First the shelf

I love your collection dude, it's organised so nicely. How is Tale Of Sand? I was looking at that recently.

Hulk #5
This issue was really intense, illustrating how people cope with trauma, mainly that some people can't cope. They can never really cope, and the only way to deal with it is by admitting that shit is not okay. Also, this issue really illustrates how much of a badass artist Leon is, especially with the absolute fantastic coloring in this (Milla and Crossley for top tier). Something about that standoff on the roof was just really intense and badass to me.

This book is about to get hype as fuck.

Infamous Iron Man #7
Wait wait wait...
Jigsaw as a voice of reason?
The fuck? Is this real life? Anyways, that was a pretty good scene with Ben and Doom, and following that B
en is obviously talking to the Maker, right? Same design on the chest and everything. He's obviously playing everyone, but I wonder who knows about him.
That's something I'm genuinely curious about. We know Robert Da Costa knows about him after New Avengers, but most likely doesn't know his identity. Who else knows?
Does Doom even know? About simply the Maker, let alone that it's Ultimate Reed Richards?
I think this issue is just really good. It's just a really good issue in a really good book.

The Mighty Thor #18
Aaaaaw shit, this is gonna be fucking wicked. I'm glad they referenced the
Future Brotherhood timeline. It was a pretty big plot thread that crossed multiple books pre-Secret Wars, so I'm glad it's being brought back into play. Except now we know for a fact that it won't come to pass, since in that same timeline Young Jean becomes older and has to wear a Xorn helmet to retain her power and keep her head from exploding.

X-Men Blue #2
Pretty good issue. I know this will sound overly optimistic, but I think this could go down as a legitimately great X-Men run. Interesting twist at the end. I'm curious to see why
Magneto would want to send them back? I'm sure the obvious answer is easy enough (that they don't belong in this time), but why would he want to back them then? Getting them all in one place? I also want to point out how each Sentinel was color-coded to a different O5 member: Green for Jean; Orange for Warren; Red for Hank; Yellow for Scott; Blue for Bobby. In addition to saying "fellow mutants," I'm assuming Magneto did actually send those Sentinels. Those are way too specific otherwise. Also Hank is a huge dick. I wonder who he's talking to? Calling it that it's Belasco, because why not?

X-Men Gold #2
Better than the first issue, but something about this just feels like it's going through the motions. Character voices are better, but it's such a big cast that some of them feel like they're just there, such as Rachel and Storm. Kitty and Logan have fine voices, Kurt and Colossus are fine, but Rachel and Storm...just kind of there. On top of that, I really don't understand what happened between
Logan and Mesmero. So Logan is a telepath now? Or a telekinetic? What's going on there? Something has to be much bigger at play right now. But what is it, is the question.
I love your collection dude, it's organised so nicely. How is Tale Of Sand? I was looking at that recently.

It's pretty enjoyable. It's pretty much all visual, with maybe two or three lines of dialogue in the whole thing. If that. It's been quite awhile since I've read it, but I basically came to the conclusion that it's weird as fuck, but in a fun way.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks for the responses about xmen. Guess I'll go with blue if positive opinions continue. Maybe I'll catch up after a couple months and a marvel sale.

Deathstroke is a piece of shit
In the first couple issues I felt confused with all the jumping around, but yeah. He's a piece of shit. That much is still apparent.

Wow that inhumans shot looks really bad, looks like a call back to all those low budget 90,s tv movies. I mean Mutant x looked higher budget that this ha.

To be fair though after the shitshow that iron fist ended up, expectations have got to be pretty low coming in. The Netflix build up to defenders was going so well too, damn you Buck.

Also talking about 90,s callbacks, foil covers are back baby:

http://www.cbr.com/jim-lee-dark-days-the-force-metallic-foil-cover/

I'm calling the next fad to be the trading cards included with issues again :)

Wow that inhumans shot looks really bad, looks like a call back to all those low budget 90,s tv movies. I mean Mutant x looked higher budget that this ha.

To be fair though after the shitshow that iron fist ended up, expectations have got to be pretty low coming in. The Netflix build up to defenders was going so well too, damn you Buck.

Also talking about 90,s callbacks, foil covers are back baby:

http://www.cbr.com/jim-lee-dark-days-the-force-metallic-foil-cover/

I'm calling the next fad to be the trading cards included with issues again :)
Already happened. Marvel are turning all the Jim Lee trading cards into variant covers.

kmfdmpig

Another $10 Deadpool issue this week Marvel? I see you.

My current collection. Missing are Saga book 1 and 2. Deadly Class OHC, Goldie Vance.

So much good stuff! Did you read Simone's Birds of Prey after Dixon's run? If not, I'd think it would be right up your alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom