• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People say this ALL the time without explaining why.

It's beyond tedious at this point.

What exactly do you want me to say?

I read a shit ton of his Spidey comics, from a bunch of arcs, and none of them were of any interest to me. They were boring, mostly had bad art, had shit characters, bad storylines, bad writing, so I didn't want to read anymore. I don't care if you think having a common opinion is tedious, it's not going to change that fact that that opinion is shared by a lot of people and for good reason.

Avixph

C_NCpR_VwAAti-j.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
What exactly do you want me to say?

I read a shit ton of his Spidey comics, from a bunch of arcs, and none of them were of any interest to me. They were boring, mostly had bad art, had shit characters, bad storylines, bad writing, so I didn't want to read anymore. I don't care if you think having a common opinion is tedious, it's not going to change that fact that that opinion is shared by a lot of people and for good reason.

No, it's tedious that people think it's shit like it's something oh so very clever to say and then say nothing when asked "why?". Nah, it just sucks. That's it. A whole lotta nothing to go along with useless posts.

Einchy

No, it's tedious that people think it's shit like it's something oh so very clever to say and then say nothing when asked "why?". Nah, it just sucks. That's it. A whole lotta nothing to go along with useless posts.

Seems like you're bringing some baggage to this because I specifically said my opinion is pretty normal, there's nothing clever about it, it's just one basic ass opinion. I'm not breaking new grounds here by thinking Dan Slott's Spidey comics are bad.

When someone says Suicide Squad sucks do you also ask them how and act like that person is trying to be clever by not liking something that is widely disliked?

PsychBat!

Banned
Seems like you're bringing some baggage to this because I specifically said my opinion is pretty normal, there's nothing clever about it, it's just one basic ass opinion. I'm not breaking new grounds here by thinking Dan Slott's Spidey comics are bad.
What? I asked you how it was bad and you're giving me vague terms like bad writing, bad art and bad whatever like I'm supposed to get what you're saying. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people on GAF (and the wider intertubes) that do like Slott's ASM, myself included. There isn't widespread hate for him like there is for Chuck Austen, Daniel Way and to a lesser extent Greg Land. And sure, you gave an opinion but did not explain in any detail how (and why) it was bad.

You don't like it, that's cool. I know people that don't like Slott's Spidey either. You could've said you didn't like it instead of saying it's bad or garbage.

There are opinions and there is flaming.

Picked up the Image, 2000 AD, Riverdale, Boom!, and Wonder Woman FCBD books. Me and a friend went about 45 minutes to a shop in Orange County since they had some artists and stuff going on. Was gonna try to make a day of it but the guy covering me at work couldn't go in after all so that didn't happen. But I did get Chynna Clugston-Flores to sketch me U-Go Girl from X-Statix which was real dope (it's not with me at the moment tho). Hoped to get Drew Johnson in my MVC sketchbook but we were sorta pressed for time and he had a big sketch queue.

Next year I'll probably just try and get the day off and hit up a bunch of stores, there's always stores around me doing things. Shit, Rick Remender and Andrew Robinson were signing free copies of a Seven to Eternity variant like an hour from me.
Anybody else read Noble from Lion Forge? I thought it was pretty good and it was refreshing to have a superhero comic that doesn't have a bunch of hokey dialogue to explain what's going on, instead they let the art do the talking. And that art actually looked pretty good outside of sometimes weird-looking veins in characters' arms.
I saw that but didn't get it. Will keep an eye out when I go back though

Einchy

What? I asked you how it was bad and you're giving me vague terms like bad writing, bad art and bad whatever like I'm supposed to get what you're saying.

Here's the thing, you're the one who wanted me to go into detail about a comic book writer that I don't care about because he makes bad comics. I read them, I thought they weren't good, one might say bad, so I stopped reading them. That was that. Nothing more, nothing less, but that's somehow not enough for you, you want me to explain in insane detail WHY it's bad, like if me just not enjoying them isn't good enough.

You don't like it, that's cool. I know people that don't like Slott's Spidey either. You could've said you didn't like it instead of saying it's bad or garbage.
Okay, next time I read a comic that I don't like, I'll say "I don't like it" and not "it was bad", because that's somehow not the same thing.

This whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

I Hate Image FCBD

This was fun. I'm not a super Image fan, but I got some of the references through social osmosis. Plus if this is what I Hate Fairyland is, then I'm game. Just a bunch of fun.

PsychBat!

Banned
Here's the thing, you're the one who wanted me to go into detail about a comic book writer that I don't care about because he makes bad comics.
That's not what happened. At all. I never asked you to talk about Dan Slott himself. I asked you why you think his Spidey is bad and in turn, you say he has bad characters and bad story or whatever as if I understood what you were talking about.

It's like if you went around saying "damn, Nickelback sucks amirite?" You eventually most likely end up talking to a Nickelback fan and it'd just be awkward. What would be even more awkward would be that you expect this Nickelback fan to understand why you think they suck instantly. That'd be weird.

I'm not equating Dan Slott or his Spidey to Nickelback, it was a hypothetical example.
I read them, I thought they weren't good, one might say bad, so I stopped reading them. That was that. Nothing more, nothing less, but that's somehow not enough for you, you want me to explain in insane detail WHY it's bad, like if me just not enjoying them isn't good enough.
I never asked for "insane detail". That's you thinking I am. Giving an informed opinion doesn't require paragraphs among paragraphs. Just elaborate a bit. I explained why I never liked Bendis' GotG many times before I gave up, it was slow with it's own story and it was being a written by a guy who never read the previous run by DnA that ended only a few years prior. Characters were written differently than before and none of them stand out. That's all. Heck, it doesn't even have to be as long as that even.
As for the rest of the post,

Okay, next time I read a comic that I don't like, I'll say "I don't like it" and not "it was bad", because that's somehow not the same thing.

This whole thing is pretty ridiculous.
you got me there

but like I said, saying "it's bad" as an answer to why is it bad isn't going to make anyone understand what you mean. You're just saying you don't like it and doubling down.

I'll stop now because you were right. This is getting really silly and I'm sleepy.

Yeah, it's kinda sad that the Mouse Guard story was in the Boom FCBD issue instead of being it's own thing like in years past. Still, nice there is one.

I also got Saga Book 1, since I found someone to buy my Saga volumes. Woo-hoo!

Yea, they even did it as a HC at least one of the years, right? I'm sure I saw that and was like :O awesome, well you or Serpentine can let me know how it is, I'll be waiting until they have enough one and done stories to do another shorts collection :|

Oh and nice, you didn't have to do that online or anything then? So much better if someone will just take them off your hands.

Finished the Yakuza 0 club mini-game and got Mad Dog. What an amazing fighting style.

Zub is taking over Uncanny Avengers now, right? Since Thunderbolts is over etc.

It seems unlikely Wacker would come back to DC while Didio is still there.

Mark Waid said:
The biggest challenge [of 52] was actually, wisely, kept from us by [editor] Steve [Wacker]. EIC Dan Didio, who first championed the concept, hated what we were doing. H-A-T-E-D 52. Would storm up and down the halls telling everyone how much he hated it. And Steve, God bless him, kept us out of the loop on that particular drama. [Editor Michael] Siglain, having less seniority, was less able to do so, and there’s one issue of 52 near the end that was written almost totally by Dan and Keith Giffen because none of the writers could plot it to Dan’s satisfaction. Which was and is his prerogative as EIC, but man, there’s little more demoralizing than taking the ball down to the one-yard line and then being benched by the guy who kept referring to COUNTDOWN as ‘52 done right.'

dan2026

who kept referring to COUNTDOWN as ‘52 done right.'

I want what this guy is smoking.

The more I read about their (mis)management, I am honestly surprised that anything good comes out of Marvel or DC sometimes.

And I will die as one of them
*Big Two FCBD Issues are always shit. Wasnt clear enough.
That's because they typically just re-release #1s, which isn't a bad idea at all since it's the easiest method of trying to get people in, plus they can just reprint.

Or they do additional issues which are usually irrelevant (All-New All-Different Avengers last year) or completely relevant, but part of an event which is a horrible way to try to get people hooked (Secret Empire this year and CW2 the last).
Lmao

Wacker is one of the very best editors in comics

One of the best things to happen to DC was giving Johns a bigger say in things Dido might otherwise manage alone or be more authoritative on.
What makes a great editor?

Or they do additional issues which are usually irrelevant (All-New All-Different Avengers last year) or completely relevant, but part of an event which is a horrible way to try to get people hooked (Secret Empire this year and CW2 the last).

I missed the last few but on that last point, I did quite like the Infinity fcbd thing but I think that had the benefit of introducing new characters. That was where we got a first look at Thanos' black guard right? I'll take your word for the rest though, I've no doubt it's true lol I just remember that one being a cool moment.

Buffy: The High School Years FCBD
This was fucking adorable as shit. Like, it's a cheesy whatever for the most part, but that ending is adorable as fuck. I just...I just want a hug

I missed the last few but on that last point, I did quite like the Infinity fcbd thing but I think that had the benefit of introducing new characters. That was where we got a first look at Thanos' black guard right? I'll take your word for the rest though, I've no doubt it's true lol I just remember that one being a cool moment.
Civil War 2 was completely 100% integral to the plot, as it was the fight with Thanos that killed Rhodey and wounded Jen. It explained so much (why Thanos came to Earth, who was at the fight, etc), and yet it was a FCBD issue. FCBD issues are more targeted towards bringing new readers in, which is why DC, for example, re-released Wonder Woman (was it Rebirth or the #1?). Marvel releases issues completely integral to understanding the plot, which can only be understood if you understand the event it's integral to. It's why Dark Horse and Image, for example, are so good: they're one-off stories taking place within an existing franchise under their banner, which can bring in new readers who may get interested in that series, and old readers who are already invested in that series by giving them a new side story.

ElNarez

Banned
Lmao

Wacker is one of the very best editors in comics

One of the best things to happen to DC was giving Johns a bigger say in things Dido might otherwise manage alone or be more authoritative on.

Yeah, I'm entertaining the thought because Geoff Johns is at a place in DC where he can get pretty much anything he asks for, and maybe he wants one of the greatest editors of all time handling some business.

Messi

I read the newest Nova series. It's legitimately funny and touching. I can't imagine this is a book that Nova fans didn't want. But here we are after its cancellation. Cosmo is great

Civil War 2 was completely 100% integral to the plot, as it was the fight with Thanos that killed Rhodey and wounded Jen. It explained so much (why Thanos came to Earth, who was at the fight, etc), and yet it was a FCBD issue. FCBD issues are more targeted towards bringing new readers in, which is why DC, for example, re-released Wonder Woman (was it Rebirth or the #1?). Marvel releases issues completely integral to understanding the plot, which can only be understood if you understand the event it's integral to. It's why Dark Horse and Image, for example, are so good: they're one-off stories taking place within an existing franchise under their banner, which can bring in new readers who may get interested in that series, and old readers who are already invested in that series by giving them a new side story.

Yea that's fair dude, no argument here. Like I said, I've been off the wagon for a good while as far as marvel's larger stories are concerned so I haven't read those to judge, I don't think I even read the one Brian was referring too. I just rememvered liking the Infinity one bit that was awhile go now. Agreed in the Dark Horse and Image thing though. Pretty sure DH had a one and done Baltimore story for fcbd one year which is a good series to do it with, over Mig's more complicated books, and suited the nature of the series at the time too.

Is that Buff book planned as an actual series? I could never really get on board with the new season stuff but I like the idea of a high school years thing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thats one occasion where beeing a Tradewaiter makes the experience better. Because they always include the FCBD Issues in the Eventtrades.

Anyone grab the Fantagraphics FCBD issue? That was the only one I was really interested in this year and I was curious as to how it was. Saw Hanselmann and Matt Furie contributed along with others, so I imagine it's pretty good.

Owzers

I've been burning through The Last Kingdom season two on Netflix, sometimes goofy shenanigans but reallllllly good.

What makes a great editor?
Admittedly, it's pretty hard to say which editors are good or aren't. It's not something tangible you can see or read, but if you check out which editors are on the books you like, you'll likely find that it's the same editors.

In the case of Wacker, he managed 4 writers and who knows how many artists on a weekly schedule for 52. Now you might say, of course 52 turned out well, look at those writers. And sure 52 had really good writers but Wacker proved he could manage another demanding title that came out 3 times a month when he took over ASM as soon as BND hit. That was a core of 4 writers at one time with some others coming in and a bunch of artists.

That's a very difficult to manage, and as far as I remember neither book never had significant delays.

Vic_Viper

I read the newest Nova series. It's legitimately funny and touching. I can't imagine this is a book that Nova fans didn't want. But here we are after its cancellation. Cosmo is great

Stopped reading it after the issue where they brought Rich back. Wasnt exactly thrilled with how they handled his return, did it get better after that? I can see why it was cancelled though tbh. I mean look at how Nova was used during Annihilation all the way through Thanos Imperative. Not that every series has to have those same repercussions, but it was a great way to introduce these old characters again and give you an incentive to want to keep reading until they were killed off in TI.

When they announced a kid was going to become the new Nova I wasnt exactly thrilled. But after reading Loeb's run he really started to grow on me. Atleast he has been getting attention in other series and events. I dont understand how they didnt get Rider Nova involved in any of the events since his return to get people excited about it that werent reading the on going Nova book. I mean if you hadnt been reading it already you probably wouldnt have had any idea he was back lol.

frye

The thing about Wacker (especially at Marvel where he had more control) was that he had really good taste in artists and a good sense of who would be good writing collaborators for them.

Anyone grab the Fantagraphics FCBD issue? That was the only one I was really interested in this year and I was curious as to how it was. Saw Hanselmann and Matt Furie contributed along with others, so I imagine it's pretty good.

I did and I'm excited for it. I'll read it this morning and post about it.

Yea, they even did it as a HC at least one of the years, right? I'm sure I saw that and was like :O awesome, well you or Serpentine can let me know how it is, I'll be waiting until they have enough one and done stories to do another shorts collection :|

Oh and nice, you didn't have to do that online or anything then? So much better if someone will just take them off your hands.

Yeah, I got that hardcover! It's lovely. And yeah, get this: A year or so ago I loaned the first few Saga volumes to a friend who doesn't read comics. She loved them. So a couple days ago I contacted her husband and asked if he wanted to buy my volumes to surprise her. Bingo!

I'm thinking I might some day soon let go of my TWD volumes. I'm attached to them because they are what really pulled me back into comics. But I'm realizing I'll probably never re-read them.

Messi

Stopped reading it after the issue where they brought Rich back. Wasnt exactly thrilled with how they handled his return, did it get better after that? I can see why it was cancelled though tbh. I mean look at how Nova was used during Annihilation all the way through Thanos Imperative. Not that every series has to have those same repercussions, but it was a great way to introduce these old characters again and give you an incentive to want to keep reading until they were killed off in TI.

When they announced a kid was going to become the new Nova I wasnt exactly thrilled. But after reading Loeb's run he really started to grow on me. Atleast he has been getting attention in other series and events. I dont understand how they didnt get Rider Nova involved in any of the events since his return to get people excited about it that werent reading the on going Nova book. I mean if you hadnt been reading it already you probably wouldnt have had any idea he was back lol.

The recent reboot? The one that is like 5 issues in?

Vic_Viper

The recent reboot? The one that is like 5 issues in?

Must have been the run right before the reboot then, my bad. Is this the second reboot since Secret Wars? I swear Rich Rider returned before Secret Wars.

How was the Marvel Knights series? Not the individual characters books, but the one with all of them together in a book titles Marvel Knights. Is there a collected edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom