• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finished Realm of Kings. That was a weird a weird non-event event. A one-shot to start things off then four related but mostly parallel stories about the rift. I did enjoy them all other than the Nova story though. The stuff with the Sphinx was a little too silly.

I also just finished the last issue of Guardians and will be starting the last issue of Nova in a minute.

dh4niel

Just got back into reading Marvel and holy shit am I behind. I stopped reading just before Original Sin finished. Just going to the events and X-Men stuff for now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've been burning through The Last Kingdom season two on Netflix, sometimes goofy shenanigans but reallllllly good.

Burned through the first season a couple of weeks ago. It takes place around the same time as History's Vikings. Alfred was like 12 in the last season of that series. I'm a sucker for that time period. Gonna start S2 tonight.

Almost forgot to post my collection. I already said this here but "my" collection is actually mine and my father's collection so there's more stuff than that but it's hidden away since they're pretty old. Pictures are not great but here they are:

YUmvOUM.jpg

PG83iuK.jpg

lEzKTg0.jpg

S9s0sYx.jpg

9QM6Izk.jpg

New Ellis newsletter at long last! Some parts people here might like:
Hello from out here on the Thames Delta. I've barely left the house or seen another human being in the last three weeks. I'm probably getting a little weird at this point. Hi. You look good, what with your working eyes and the skin covering your bones and your wet pedipalps.

We're getting close to a wrap on the first four-episode season of CASTLEVANIA, with the music having come in on episode 4 a couple of days ago. I've been working on the back end of Season 2, often while dialled in to the voice recording sessions for the top end of Season 2. Looking forward to being able to talk about those actors soon.

At the same time, I'm filling a notebook with the next six episodes of THE WILD STORM, while also guiding the first TWS spinoff book, MICHAEL CRAY, towards its launch.

And I think I might know what my next book is.

How're you?

Look at this INJECTION cover by my children, Jordie Bellaire and Declan Shalvey-Bellaire.
img_0043u9sa8.jpg

Jason Howard's variant cover for THE WILD STORM #4, because basically look how fucking good Jason Howard is:
img_0044fostp.jpg

Owzers

Now that I hate overwatch I'm free to do things that aren't overwatch, back to Legion and hopefully hellboy library vol 1 gets finished. Instead of on a shelf it's on a table like I'm about to read it at any moment.

Also, nerf pharmercy into the ground please no one can aim on consoles.

I did and I'm excited for it. I'll read it this morning and post about it.
Awesome, I hope it's good.
Now that I hate overwatch I'm free to do things that aren't overwatch, back to Legion and hopefully hellboy library vol 1 gets finished. Instead of on a shelf it's on a table like I'm about to read it at any moment.

If it makes you feel any better, most people can't on PC either. No one ever switches to hitscan against Pharah or even attempts to shoot them.

Just saw GOTG 2. What an uneven movie. Not the movie I was hoping or wanting and clearly not as good as the first. About halfway through the movie I though to myself "this film has no idea what It wants to be"

I love that Jason Howard cover. Dude's flexibility in style hasn't stopped surprising me yet. Between Super Dinosaur, some of the more thoughtful stuff in Trees and that cover, he seems like he could pretty much do any type of book and rock it.

Wait, what? Sillymonkey rage quit Overwatch? This needs to be a national headline. What happened Sillymonkers? I need the deets.

Owzers

Just saw GOTG 2. What an uneven movie. Not the movie I was hoping or wanting and clearly not as good as the first. About halfway through the movie I though to myself "this film has no idea what It wants to be"
I assume it wants to be money.

I'm tempted to see the new alien movie in theaters but after Prometheus...

Pharmercy reminds me of blizzard buffing bastion last month, something so obviously stupid that I assume they did it to troll console people.

Wait, what? Sillymonkey rage quit Overwatch? This needs to be a national headline. What happened Sillymonkers? I need the deets.

I play a lot of Rein/Mercy and can't aim, getting sick of bastion and pharmercy in so many games these last couple weeks. Even when the team adjusts we still lose.

Awesome, I hope it's good.

Oh god, it was so good. And it was so smartly designed. They picked 16 of their cartoonists that have recently or soon-to-be released books. Asked them to create an original short relating to the release. Then in the back there's a little paragraph written by each of them which basically connects the stories to the books. Freaking genius and what every FCBD book should be: Original, awesome, free work that motivates you to buy books. Loved the hell out of it.

I play a lot of Rein/Mercy and can't aim, getting sick of bastion and pharmercy in so many games these last couple weeks. Even when the team adjusts we still lose.

I won't lie. I quit about the time Sombra (I had to look that up because I totally forgot her name from all the not giving a fuck) came out. And I've been a happier person since.

Yeah, I got that hardcover! It's lovely. And yeah, get this: A year or so ago I loaned the first few Saga volumes to a friend who doesn't read comics. She loved them. So a couple days ago I contacted her husband and asked if he wanted to buy my volumes to surprise her. Bingo!

I'm thinking I might some day soon let go of my TWD volumes. I'm attached to them because they are what really pulled me back into comics. But I'm realizing I'll probably never re-read them.

Haha that's awesome, you played the long game! What a great gift to get too.

I got rid of my TWD books but I totally jumped off the series altogether as well, not long after Carl got his eyepatch. TWD played a really big part in getting me into modern day Image but as my tastes matured I moved away from Kirkman's writing style. I do look at Outcast from time to time though

Man, I shouldn't have bought Prey. That Bioshock gameplay didn't age well. I like the setting and everything, but the combat is literally dog shit.

Man, I shouldn't have bought Prey. That Bioshock gameplay didn't age well. I like the setting and everything, but the combat is literally dog shit.

Haha I think it's fantastic. I would still pick up Bioshock 1 and play though, I just love this kind of thing. One of the upgrade paths is to do with movement speed etc (you move slower with the goo gun out and things like that) . How did you play the demo and not figure out you hate it?

Playing on xbox one to avoid this lag stuff though.

Aizo

Banned
Finished Realm of Kings. That was a weird a weird non-event event. A one-shot to start things off then four related but mostly parallel stories about the rift. I did enjoy them all other than the Nova story though. The stuff with the Sphinx was a little too silly.

I also just finished the last issue of Guardians and will be starting the last issue of Nova in a minute.
I am going through cosmic right now, too! I just finished all the annihilation stuff on the plane yesterday. Onto Conquest! Guardians 2 comes out this weekend here.
Which exactly are you talking about?
That dog-looking one.

damn he should of been back by now :{.

oh well.

It's self imposed, so he'll only be back when he wants. I haven't read Iron Fist, not sure if I want to with Brisson onboard But the art does look fantastic. I might end up getting it for that. I love a good kung fun book.

TheFlow

Banned
It's self imposed, so he'll only be back when he wants. I haven't read Iron Fist, not sure if I want to with Brisson onboard But the art does look fantastic. I might end up getting it for that. I love a good kung fun book.

oh damn. But yea the iron fist book is pretty dope. the art is also solid. thought it was going to be worse. the suit looks great.

I am going to keep reading it now that I can get the issues for cheap.

I also caught up with BP. I have faith Coates can pull this arc off. I wasn't too interested with T'challa talk with Storm.

Got Injection vol 2 sitting here so I reread vol 1 this evening, just to jog the old memory. That really is a great book. I always like with Ellis how his angle on an idea and the strength of his voice can make it feel like something truly new, from outside the usual toybox, whether the ideas at heart really are or not. Shalvey and Bellaire kill it too. Interested in where things go next, will read tomorrow.

Oh yea, I really like the neat trick he plays at the end with the narration too. That's awesome.

VanWinkle

Just bought the Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2 off of eBay for $50 (via winning a bid), which I'm very happy with. It seems to go for more about $65-70 elsewhere, and I wanted to make sure I get it before the clearance ones sell out and it gets expensive.

It will be the first full FF run I have and it's a big one, so I'm excited to start reading it.

Now if only I could get the Hickman ones, haha. I will definitely find a way to read that run sometime, even if it has to be through Marvel Unlimited.

Haha I think it's fantastic. I would still pick up Bioshock 1 and play though, I just love this kind of thing. One of the upgrade paths is to do with movement speed etc (you move slower with the goo gun out and things like that) . How did you play the demo and not figure out you hate it?

Playing on xbox one to avoid this lag stuff though.

Eh, I'm getting into it a bit more now. Combat is still on the shit side though. So if I used that duplication glitch with the recycler to make about 40,000 of each material, did I make too much? I filled the desk in my office with it too.

Aizo

Banned
As promised, my comic collection in Japan. Most of the American comics are in my home country. Lots of the American stuff aside from nice graphic novels that I read now is all digital, because I move a lot and comics take up space.

In fact, because I move a lot, I never bought another bookshelf, so this is all very disorganized. I'm moving to the other side of the city at the beginning of July.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_QbmdeUMAEIaL1.jpg[/IMG]
From top left to bottom right: Despera, The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, The Summit of the Gods, Pink, Horror collection, Otoyomegatari info book on central Asia, Kuutei Dragons, Umimachi Diary, Arte, Gundam Thunderbolt, Tokyo Tarareba Musume, Basara, 7Seeds, Ahiru no Sora, Aku no Hana, Fuan no Tane+, God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand, (now on to the second shelf) Museum (sideways), Itou Junji Horror Compendium, Horror collection, Vinland Saga, Kachou Shima Kousaku, Tasogare Ryuuseigun, Blue Giant, Soranin, Oyasumi Punpun, Aoi Horus no Hitomi, Wolfsmund, Shinazu no Ryouken, Hinamatsuri, Ran and the Grey World, Gisele Alain, Tsukiyo no Toratsugu, Hakumei to Mikochi, Dungeon Meshi, Hikidashi ni Terrarium, Emma, Otoyomegatari, Yotsuba&, Ghost Lady, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Kasane, Dosei Mansion (Saturn Apartment), San gatsu no Lion, Berserk, Golden Kamui, Sexy Voice and Robo, Cross Game, Ore to Akuma no Blues, Omoide no Marnie (color), I am a Hero

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_QbmdmUwAAIS3m.jpg[/IMG]
Many volumes of my favorite manga magazine, Harta (issues 28 and 43 not included), Berserk special in Young Animal magazine, Honkawa (Horror manga magazine), Low vol.2, The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage, Killing and Dying, Patience, Hot Dog Taste Test, Super Mutant Magic Academy, This One Summer, Japanese Scott Pilgrim. In the foreground, four issues of Youth in Decline's Frontier, sketchbooks by Mori Kaoru and Kui Ryoko.

Hopefully at least some people take a look, because this took a while hahaha.

Aizo

Banned
Best title ever?

Best title ever.

Very cool, thanks,for sharing.
The author self-translated it, which makes it less precise. It actually translates to "Report on Being Lonely and Going to a Lesbian Prostitute." It's like an indie auto-biographical comic about a virgin woman with depression exploring her sexuality. Pretty sad story, actually.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That shelf looks beautiful, Aizo. I'm so used to seeing rows of manga in English that it's cool seeing it in its original language.

Now if only I could get the Hickman ones, haha. I will definitely find a way to read that run sometime, even if it has to be through Marvel Unlimited.

I would love that run too, although omnibus seems expensiveeee now. They put Secret Warriors into complete collections though, I'm holding out for the same with FF.

Eh, I'm getting into it a bit more now. Combat is still on the shit side though. So if I used that duplication glitch with the recycler to make about 40,000 of each material, did I make too much? I filled the desk in my office with it too.

Haha I haven't been in any of the threads since I got it, trying to take the experience my own way so I hadn't heard about that. That sounds like a good way to have a good time anyway if you aren't loving certain aspects. Minor minor spoiler but do you have the plan for
neuromods
yet? Once you have that + your trick you can just go nuts and have fun. I didn't initially realise you moved slower with certain weapons out but I've upgraded my movement speed and reflexes anyway, mostly just shotgunning the shit out of things, nevermind the gloogun. I like using that to climb things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom